What have you done to your Superduke today

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Aphex
Site Admin

Re: What have you done to your Superduke today

Postby Aphex » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 am

SpeedyR wrote:washed it and went for a nice long ride to "blow dry" the bike.

Bike doesn't need much, just tyres and an oil change. Soon on both counts. Then a tank bag, rear bags, rear sets and spoon on some new shoes and she'll be good for another few thousand miles.

I am jealous of the better service intervals on the 1290 I'll tell ya that.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Yep, Its pretty good compared to the SD990.
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Fitted the exhaust today,
Only 2nd time I've rode in in 6 months

cheeheese
Two wheeled terror

Postby cheeheese » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:36 am

whufc0 wrote:Fitted the exhaust today,
Only 2nd time I've rode in in 6 months

Looking awesome, Ian!

First thoughts? You had it remapped or put PCV on yet?

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Not yet mate, only 100 miles on clock, still another 500 to go :x

Am also still waiting for the link pipe, and newer style baffle from AR.

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:01 am

coyo wrote:
Willh wrote:
coyo wrote:Replaced the mid-pipe exhaust gasket today (although it didn't seem in bad shape but I was getting the customary 4500 rpm back fire).

As I was untwisting the O2 sensor wires it struck me that I've got them turned off in Tune ECU. Can I not just replace them with plugs?

Yes

Thanks!

Would you happen to know the size required?

No one?

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:53 am

PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
way too many to mention

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:05 pm

coyo wrote:
coyo wrote:
Thanks!

Would you happen to know the size required?

No one?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5167&p=50095&hilit=Plug+for+sensor+holes#p50095
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:46 pm

JDSSDR1290 wrote:http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/o2-sensor-plug-pair-12mm-mild-steel/
12 mm I believe.

Thanks to both of you!

canucklehead
Minimoto racer

Postby canucklehead » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Replaced my 5 year old battery that would barely hold a charge. Took a lot less time than I thought it would... now it starts up nice and quick! :)

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Always nice with a new battery :)
What did you end up going with ?.
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:06 am

Productive fettling morning! :D

Replaced the power cable for my Zumo sat-nav because after five years one of the little connector pins had broken so I was getting intermittent power supply. It was always switching off just as I was coming up to an important interchange and leaving me lost. Cost £33 for a new cable which I thought was a bit steep but what can you do?

I finally got a chance to take off my carbon rear mudguard and chain guard to trim the end off the front of the chain guard. The thing is so flimsy that when you ride fast the front of the guard wobbles down and hits the chain so it has worn a big groove and looks a big mess. Cut off about 30mm and reshaped it all so should do the trick.

My Rizoma rear-sets have solid aluminium footrests which were originally knurled to give a lot of grip. I reckon I've done about 15,000 miles with these on now and they have worn off all the sharp edges, especially on the left gear change side. Last week on a 60 mile run through fast Wiltshire B reads my foot kept slipping off the pegs on bumpy corners leaned over - gave me a few scares. I was going to re-file all the knurling but when I took them off I realised I could just swap them over because it's only the front facing and outside edge that has worn smooth. Now I have another 15K to feel confident!

Couldn't face cleaning the bike though - I've not got a garage anymore and so bike is outside the front of the house and I have no stand here. Doing a lot of miles at the moment through pretty rural scenery so it will only get covered in road dust and mud and cow shit. So I did the rounds with a rag and WD40 just cleaning the crucial bits and giving everything a good lubricate and check-over. I quite like bikes to look like this. Sort of covered in dust but well maintained and functional. I think my days of polishing and pampering motorbikes is over. I just want them to work well! Also my bike is now ten years old so it has a lot of signs of being used regularly all year round - it's still in great mechanical condition and looks great but everywhere there are scuffs, wear marks, paint worn off the corners, fasteners not looking shiny but wearing a patina of oxidisation (not rust) that dulls everything down.

It's still a keeper for me though and still plenty fast enough to leave most other bikes I meet on my travels for dead. I'm always catching up other bikes on my lone travels and I stick behind them for a while out of courtesy sometimes but then get bored. I've been out on a few hideouts with local bikers but generally they always ride a bit slow for me. I do miss those days riding with Klink and Shade round Finchingfield way. Those guys were the only time I used to get pushed to my limit and sometimes a bit more. :D
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Productive fettling morning! just like Bic's on the previous post :D

Last week, my rear right turn signal fell off the metal stem and was hanging by the wiring. I mixed up some Plast-Aid and added acrylic black paint, I smeared the PlastAid inside the rubber housing and around the metal stem and there was some minor squeeze out upon reinsertion that was very easily cleanable. Job done!

This Friday I rode and I had had a slight oil misting for a few weeks, from the bottom plate of the MotoHooligan air box, between the front and rear throttle bodies and I think this time I took care of it. Mostly the left side of my 'purty' orange frame was getting coated with oil. My uneducated guess was from the crankcase breather that is connected to the top of the air box.

So I removed the tank, air box and cleaned all the oil and I came to this wonderful forum where I found (This link) that my airbox was installed properly (The rubber o-rings between the TB's and the bottom plate of the MH Box) so what I did was to use a little petroleum jelly between the velocity stacks and the bottom plate to seal the area better.

If this does not work, I'll look into disconnecting the crankcase breather and installing a separate filter and catch hose on the side (As seen here).

Also, A few months ago, after much debating whether to replace my speedometer or not since parts of the digits were fading, I opened up my speedo, I cleaned and reconnected all connections, I used a little dielectric grease and I used silicone to seal the two halves together (As requested by manufacturer via a sticker on the bottom side of the speedometer). When I took it apart, there had not been ANY silicone. None. Once reassembled, all the digits came back and I've been on several long rides (5+ hours) and I can happily say I've taken care of the problem. No more fading digits!

This Friday I got caught in 45 minutes of rain on my way home and the speedo did not let any water in and it did not miss a beat. Yeay!

And those are some of the reasons why it's a love/hate relationship with my SD. Something always needs to be done after one or a few rides. Always.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:13 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Productive fettling morning! :D

Replaced the power cable for my Zumo sat-nav because after five years one of the little connector pins had broken so I was getting intermittent power supply. It was always switching off just as I was coming up to an important interchange and leaving me lost. Cost £33 for a new cable which I thought was a bit steep but what can you do?

I finally got a chance to take off my carbon rear mudguard and chain guard to trim the end off the front of the chain guard. The thing is so flimsy that when you ride fast the front of the guard wobbles down and hits the chain so it has worn a big groove and looks a big mess. Cut off about 30mm and reshaped it all so should do the trick.

My Rizoma rear-sets have solid aluminium footrests which were originally knurled to give a lot of grip. I reckon I've done about 15,000 miles with these on now and they have worn off all the sharp edges, especially on the left gear change side. Last week on a 60 mile run through fast Wiltshire B reads my foot kept slipping off the pegs on bumpy corners leaned over - gave me a few scares. I was going to re-file all the knurling but when I took them off I realised I could just swap them over because it's only the front facing and outside edge that has worn smooth. Now I have another 15K to feel confident!

Couldn't face cleaning the bike though - I've not got a garage anymore and so bike is outside the front of the house and I have no stand here. Doing a lot of miles at the moment through pretty rural scenery so it will only get covered in road dust and mud and cow shit. So I did the rounds with a rag and WD40 just cleaning the crucial bits and giving everything a good lubricate and check-over. I quite like bikes to look like this. Sort of covered in dust but well maintained and functional. I think my days of polishing and pampering motorbikes is over. I just want them to work well! Also my bike is now ten years old so it has a lot of signs of being used regularly all year round - it's still in great mechanical condition and looks great but everywhere there are scuffs, wear marks, paint worn off the corners, fasteners not looking shiny but wearing a patina of oxidisation (not rust) that dulls everything down.

It's still a keeper for me though and still plenty fast enough to leave most other bikes I meet on my travels for dead. I'm always catching up other bikes on my lone travels and I stick behind them for a while out of courtesy sometimes but then get bored. I've been out on a few hideouts with local bikers but generally they always ride a bit slow for me. I do miss those days riding with Klink and Shade round Finchingfield way. Those guys were the only time I used to get pushed to my limit and sometimes a bit more. :D

Can I recommend vulcanet wipes if you don't have water to clean your bike. Just one sheet should be enough to give a decent clean. Comes with a polishing cloth.

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Productive fettling morning! just like Bic's on the previous post :D

Last week, my rear right turn signal fell off the metal stem and was hanging by the wiring. I mixed up some Plast-Aid and added acrylic black paint, I smeared the PlastAid inside the rubber housing and around the metal stem and there was some minor squeeze out upon reinsertion that was very easily cleanable. Job done!

This Friday I rode and I had had a slight oil misting for a few weeks, from the bottom plate of the MotoHooligan air box, between the front and rear throttle bodies and I think this time I took care of it. Mostly the left side of my 'purty' orange frame was getting coated with oil. My uneducated guess was from the crankcase breather that is connected to the top of the air box.

So I removed the tank, air box and cleaned all the oil and I came to this wonderful forum where I found (This link) that my airbox was installed properly (The rubber o-rings between the TB's and the bottom plate of the MH Box) so what I did was to use a little petroleum jelly between the velocity stacks and the bottom plate to seal the area better.

If this does not work, I'll look into disconnecting the crankcase breather and installing a separate filter and catch hose on the side (As seen here).

Also, A few months ago, after much debating whether to replace my speedometer or not since parts of the digits were fading, I opened up my speedo, I cleaned and reconnected all connections, I used a little dielectric grease and I used silicone to seal the two halves together (As requested by manufacturer via a sticker on the bottom side of the speedometer). When I took it apart, there had not been ANY silicone. None. Once reassembled, all the digits came back and I've been on several long rides (5+ hours) and I can happily say I've taken care of the problem. No more fading digits!

This Friday I got caught in 45 minutes of rain on my way home and the speedo did not let any water in and it did not miss a beat. Yeay!

And those are some of the reasons why it's a love/hate relationship with my SD. Something always needs to be done after one or a few rides. Always.

I have the same indicator problem. What's plastaid ?

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:15 am

Stu990 wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:Productive fettling morning! just like Bic's on the previous post :between the TB's and the bottom plate ] .

I have the same indicator problem. What's plastaid ?

https://www.plast-aid.com/
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 am

Did the 37.5K service. Getting better at these laborious oil changes...lol. Less mess for sure.
Need rear pads but everything else within spec :)

WarBaby
Minimoto racer

Postby WarBaby » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:53 pm

I broke-in my '17 SDR on 'the Dragon' @ Deals Gap and on the Cherohola Skyway, TN/NC. What a bike...fun, fun, fun!
Image :mrgreen:
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tyres, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:38 pm

War baby, I am heading that way early September we need to hook up. I'll be on my 990 SDR and will have a few friends with me.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:27 pm

rode this past weekend with some friends. We based out of Waynesville NC for the weekend. I was only there to ride with them Saturday so led them on some routes I knew in the area as well as getting some info from a local friends about some little roads to run around on. We had a great time, but the little roads we took were a bit more on the "adventure" side. I think he thought I was riding my Super Enduro, not my Super Duke. We did get in a few miles of dirt roads/trails that added a bit of excitement to the end of the day, but we had a great time. Weather was excellent and shot some decent video. I"ll try to post up something after I do some editing, but for now a few photos:

my friend had 40 miles on is new Tuono, but didn't seem to mind the dirt roads...

you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

WarBaby
Minimoto racer

Postby WarBaby » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:54 pm

My '17 Superduke got new rubber on carbon rims yesterday.

Cheers! 8)
`17 - BST carbon rims, Supercorsa tyres, Arrow Ti can/mid-pipe, 16-T, Rotti 80/80 intake w/PCV/SAS/De-Canister/Servo Stopper/Fuel dongles, Lith. battery, R&G Frame/axle sliders, Evotech Tail Tidy/Rad guard/Exhaust hanger, LSL drag bar. -36 pounds.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:31 pm

Looks fookin great.

I could never trust myself with carbon wheels. I do waaay too much stupid shit (jumping my bike like a dirt bike).
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

WarBaby
Minimoto racer

Postby WarBaby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 am

Aphex wrote:Looks fookin great.

Thanks!

overlooser

Postby overlooser » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 pm

wow nice bike !!

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm

After reading the Pikes Peak results........i went out to my bike shed (bike man cave) and gave my GT a nice loving rub, and said "adda girl" :D
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism