..quiet

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
CEREC1
Trackday hero

Re: ..quiet

Postby CEREC1 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm still here. Problably visit 2-3 times a week. It's the wit that missing nowadays.
Banter ruled this site in its heyday.
What gets me is the amount of 'read' threads that generate almost no responses.
Still have my Superduke.net modified SDR.
I've never, in 44 years of biking owned a bike for so long. Into year 6 of ownership now. Pretty well only use it on track and that's mostly in sunnier climes than the UK
Portimao is a stunning track if anybody wants to try a foreign track.
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:53 pm

In December this year I will have owned my '07 Superduke (black one, fastest one, best one) for ten years. I think I found this forum very soon after I bought this bike although I didn't do much to it for the first six months whilst it was still in warranty. I got the dealer to fit the Akra exhausts from new so never rode it with the OE silencers and was very keen to junk the airbox and do all the recommended mods that I read on here.

Back then it was a really thriving, buzzing forum. I was a bit overwhelmed by the response to every posting and there was a lot of banter, advice and it felt like a club that you really wanted to become a part of. It was apparent that there were already a lot of old hands on there and some that had contributed a lot and were no longer with us. Dr. F, now immortalised in "Dr.F's words of wisdom", had only just died and his expertise and work on the original SD was still very much alive in the threads. "Thunder Pumpkin" guy was always around with his strange mix of knowledge and hippy weirdness which also highlighted the strange symbiosis between the US members and the UK guys. My own personal memories are bound up with people like Twisted Jester, Schnauser, Colonlel Klink and Shade the Changing Man, who (it seemed like at the time along with myself) seemed to be on permanent response mode to anyone who posted a thread. At those times even the most banal of posts would get a barrage of ten, fifteen posts within a few hours offering support, advice or a healthy dose of piss-taking.

And let's not forget the people like Motorin who were just there to rip anyone apart, dole out hilarious, bigoted comments and generally keep the place buzzing. This forum was an amazing place to be between 2008 and 2010 :) And there has always been a great set of Aussie guys, some of the most consistent people on this forum. You know who you are and I love you all. Maybe I will never meet you but you are all close to me in my feelings for this forum.

As time has passed the place has changed. But I have always tried to make an effort to keep on posting, and contributing, and trying to keep it similar to what it was. I don't think I can bring anything like the level of humour and banter to the place that it once had. It's not my style or personality. I'm glad that Colonel Klink is back (Craig - I respect you the most as a genuine SD owner, a great forum member, a bloody talented rider, a true contributor but most of all for your tenacity in sticking to your political views through any situation - of which I have seen you battle valiantly against some vile opposition over the years! Ha ha).

Anyway, I have no intension of packing in logging on to SD.Net and posting up the stuff I post. I'm not getting rid of the SD soon and still think it will be a keeper. I spend more and more time on my 1975 Kawasaki triple but still enjoy getting blown away by the abilities of my 990 when I swap back to (relatively) modern machinery.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:33 am

I agree with a lot of what has been posted, I hate the fact that the ecu is so difficult to crack and has meant that those owners interested in performance are left with little option but to be dictated to by the factory. This in my case is killing the possibilities for the 1290. The 990 on the other hand was a work in progress for many years and because of this gained an enthusiastic following of like minded owners. This shared interest often breads the passoinate camaraderie that was present a few years ago.

Because the 1290 came from the factory with a brilliant motor, great fuelling and reasonable handling, there wasn't much left to do besides sort a few rear hub issues and the odd rotor problem. Owners could bolt on all sorts of bits and pieces and/or even make a few parts but thats about it. That becomes boring real quick…..
Now if you also consider the impact that the photofucket bullshit has had, it leaves a forum that is the shadow of its former self because, as is demanded these days, a picture is worth a thousand words! And as a form of instruction it is invaluable.

When I first joined this forum, and as a new 1290 owner, I worked my way through all the 990 tech info I could find so I could get an idea of what the new model might be like. As interesting as this was I doubt there would be many new members that would do such a thing. No one wants to invest any time into anything anymore!

Sometimes you have new members posting that they have a problem and are desperate for an answer. Then when some experienced member takes the time to posts an accurate reply we never hear back from the original poster about how their issue was resolved - to much selfish one way traffic - and these individuals will keep doing this until they move onto the next big thing that is shown is flashy media releases! Money buys you toys but time invested buys you priceless experience that others admire because they can't buy it.
I hope this forum keeps going and can overcome the onslaught from social media because as Klinck stated faceboooook is instant gratification for those interested in using it but it can't be searched so is useless as an instructional tool.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

WHO?
Minimoto racer

Postby WHO? » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 pm

abc wrote:I hope this forum keeps going and can overcome the onslaught from social media because as Klinck stated faceboooook is instant gratification for those interested in using it but it can't be searched so is useless as an instructional tool.

well put, I feel that in the bit I quoted is a key reason places like this will in actual fact always be needed. Me ..Totally enjoy my 1290 & cbf looking at anything fb for resource value, to me it's so bloated with hysteria mongers doing r&d on bs as to be a virus in the mind of the sheeple constantly logging in to feel alive up to date wtf, nah the forums may be quiet but wont die
any day above ground's a good day so keep smiling!!

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:28 pm

Have to reiterate.
990's been done to death 1290 SD's better than anyone, can better.
All Powerparts are accounted for. ( Apart from those 2017 shortie levers :x ).
Tyres are adequate, unless you track.
Wheelies require more cash. But you do get other shit you may want to unlock?
Nothing much to talk about, other than the weather. :roll:
Been here since inception.
SD's sorted.
Every review says so.
To change it, would require buying a different bike in the range or another manufacturers design :!: .

Oh! And Hooliganism is illegal(Official) and paranoia is rampant.

Quite quiet then?
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

05DUKE
Minimoto racer

Postby 05DUKE » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:37 am

Yes I'm reading almost daily, 6mths ago I picked up an 05 39k

Knowing that it would have issues, By reading old threads I've been able to find answers and fix's to miner issues so far (photo links dead)

Should I be commenting more (maybe) but as I'm short on knowledge on my wonderful machine I'm leaving it to the experts to answer.

So I thank all those that have come before me and built this place of knowledge

PS I found activation happened quickly

SDSmurf
Wheelie king

Postby SDSmurf » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:In December this year I will have owned my '07 Superduke (black one, fastest one, best one) for ten years. I think I found this forum very soon after I bought this bike although I didn't do much to it for the first six months whilst it was still in warranty. I got the dealer to fit the Akra exhausts from new so never rode it with the OE silencers and was very keen to junk the airbox and do all the recommended mods that I read on here.

Back then it was a really thriving, buzzing forum. I was a bit overwhelmed by the response to every posting and there was a lot of banter, advice and it felt like a club that you really wanted to become a part of. It was apparent that there were already a lot of old hands on there and some that had contributed a lot and were no longer with us. Dr. F, now immortalised in "Dr.F's words of wisdom", had only just died and his expertise and work on the original SD was still very much alive in the threads. "Thunder Pumpkin" guy was always around with his strange mix of knowledge and hippy weirdness which also highlighted the strange symbiosis between the US members and the UK guys. My own personal memories are bound up with people like Twisted Jester, Schnauser, Colonlel Klink and Shade the Changing Man, who (it seemed like at the time along with myself) seemed to be on permanent response mode to anyone who posted a thread. At those times even the most banal of posts would get a barrage of ten, fifteen posts within a few hours offering support, advice or a healthy dose of piss-taking.

And let's not forget the people like Motorin who were just there to rip anyone apart, dole out hilarious, bigoted comments and generally keep the place buzzing. This forum was an amazing place to be between 2008 and 2010 :) And there has always been a great set of Aussie guys, some of the most consistent people on this forum. You know who you are and I love you all. Maybe I will never meet you but you are all close to me in my feelings for this forum.

As time has passed the place has changed. But I have always tried to make an effort to keep on posting, and contributing, and trying to keep it similar to what it was. I don't think I can bring anything like the level of humour and banter to the place that it once had. It's not my style or personality. I'm glad that Colonel Klink is back (Craig - I respect you the most as a genuine SD owner, a great forum member, a bloody talented rider, a true contributor but most of all for your tenacity in sticking to your political views through any situation - of which I have seen you battle valiantly against some vile opposition over the years! Ha ha).

Anyway, I have no intension of packing in logging on to SD.Net and posting up the stuff I post. I'm not getting rid of the SD soon and still think it will be a keeper. I spend more and more time on my 1975 Kawasaki triple but still enjoy getting blown away by the abilities of my 990 when I swap back to (relatively) modern machinery.

Yep, those were the days *sigh*
BigTobyD was a hoot, great guy, as was TT RDHS...
Weeksy brought a ton of life as a mod before he betrayed mankind and bought a Tuono.
I think the Thunder Pumpkin belonged to Jehadjoe. Frikking crazy character every forum needs.
SD Dan also a top bloke...
How could I forget Plipton? Or Orangedragon!?!?!

I genuinely had one of the best times of my life with my Superduke (990 obviously) and spending time on here was a great way to end the day. Was like a family.

Jeez, the memories.... Searching old posts now for old times sake.

A fun one....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5079&p=50384#p50384
The SD needs corners like I need red meat.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 pm

SDSmurf wrote:Yep, those were the days *sigh*
BigTobyD was a hoot, great guy, as was TT RDHS...
Weeksy brought a ton of life as a mod before he betrayed mankind and bought a Tuono.
I think the Thunder Pumpkin belonged to Jehadjoe. Frikking crazy character every forum needs.
SD Dan also a top bloke...
How could I forget Plipton? Or Orangedragon!?!?!

I genuinely had one of the best times of my life with my Superduke (990 obviously) and spending time on here was a great way to end the day. Was like a family.

Jeez, the memories.... Searching old posts now for old times sake.

A fun one....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5079&p=50384#p50384

We need to get that thread going again! love it.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 pm

THAT WAS bANTER ffs.

jAESUS bANTER IS Fastbuk.

Surely. F'n @Bante3r Isn't Hooliganism.

Good grief I could show yous Nakit Picturs of my Wife.

That is not HOOLIFAKISM/.(OK Maybees.)

Nope KTM = WAS that you?

PISSIN' OFF every Clint

Seen to be arseholed . Was the Ethic, I remember.

With dodgey MODS and whatnot.

Can't happen!

I have been dealt with. ( This is is no longer acceptable.)
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:38 am

I think what has happened is that a lot of members have moved on to better bikes rather than owning a Shitty old KTM's :wink:

speedfiend41
Minimoto racer

Postby speedfiend41 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 am

If they changed their ridiculous marketing strategy and brought back a decent sportsbike (like an RC8 with the 1290 engine) they'd get a shit load more buyers.

I can't believe they've turned their backs on sports bikes. Idiots.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:07 am

IMO the biggest mistake was killing the 990 Super Duke and bringing out the too tech-y 1290 SD. KTM should have left the 990 SD in place and introduced the 1290 SD for the customers that were not satisfied with the Best Bang For The Buck naked, hooligan bike that made that segment what it came to be. Should have left it alone and just made some small improvements (upped it to a 1050 at the most), with maybe an R or S model with different suspension components, wheels, and track features. Should have kept the 990 SD base for those that appreciated it for what it was and could actually afford it and didn't want ABS, TC, blah, blah, blah,. Bet it would have still out sold the 1290 SD 2-1. I'd have to bet the percentage of 990 SD owners that switch to other brand bikes (or didn't switch at all) is far more than 990 SD owners that switch to a 1290 SD. Sure KTM got a bunch of new customers for the 1290 SD but they lost more (IMO) customers that would have purchased a slightly improved 990 SD with it's great 1-litre V-Twin performance and bang for the buck value. Screwed the pooch IMO and lost a big part of the following. Sorry but the 990 SD rider and the 1290 SD rider are a slightly different customer and that's okay and we still get along but KTM left one of us behind after that customer brought them to that point. I've owned a Duke/Super Duke since the first one in 1994 (still have it) and have owned or ridden every Duke/Super Duke KTM has ever made (have four of them now including my '06 990 SD) including the 1290 SD but KTM lost me when they killed the 990 SD for the 1290, I just didn't want a bike that the mods were not worth the price or fun doing to the 990. IMO KTM needs to go back to their roots and re-introduce a 1050 SD on the same platform as the 990 SD, with minimal tech and retro look and see if they can get back some old owners and for sure they'll get some new customers too. And no KTM I'm not interested in the 800 non-V, that again is not the customer that loved the 990 SD.

SD#1

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:44 am

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:IMO the biggest mistake was killing the 990 Super Duke and bringing out the too tech-y 1290 SD. KTM should have left the 990 SD in place and introduced the 1290 SD for the customers that were not satisfied with the Best Bang For The Buck naked, hooligan bike that made that segment what it came to be. Should have left it alone and just made some small improvements (upped it to a 1050 at the most), with maybe an R or S model with different suspension components, wheels, and track features. Should have kept the 990 SD base for those that appreciated it for what it was and could actually afford it and didn't want ABS, TC, blah, blah, blah,. Bet it would have still out sold the 1290 SD 2-1. I'd have to bet the percentage of 990 SD owners that switch to other brand bikes (or didn't switch at all) is far more than 990 SD owners that switch to a 1290 SD. Sure KTM got a bunch of new customers for the 1290 SD but they lost more (IMO) customers that would have purchased a slightly improved 990 SD with it's great 1-litre V-Twin performance and bang for the buck value. Screwed the pooch IMO and lost a big part of the following. Sorry but the 990 SD rider and the 1290 SD rider are a slightly different customer and that's okay and we still get along but KTM left one of us behind after that customer brought them to that point. I've owned a Duke/Super Duke since the first one in 1994 (still have it) and have owned or ridden every Duke/Super Duke KTM has ever made (have four of them now including my '06 990 SD) including the 1290 SD but KTM lost me when they killed the 990 SD for the 1290, I just didn't want a bike that the mods were not worth the price or fun doing to the 990. IMO KTM needs to go back to their roots and re-introduce a 1050 SD on the same platform as the 990 SD, with minimal tech and retro look and see if they can get back some old owners and for sure they'll get some new customers too. And no KTM I'm not interested in the 800 non-V, that again is not the customer that loved the 990 SD.

SD#1

I dunno there are quite a few people that were fast 990 riders that have gone to the 1290 and not looked back. Also after seeing and hearing Yamaha's P twin in the FZ07 I now believe KTM can make a cracking P twin as well and I highly doubt it will be anything like that briggs and stratton in the Ninja 650.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 am

I actually wish that KTM would go away from their angular look and make something more traditional.
Like how many more angles can a man bear!
Also their gay corrosive fasteners like there bike aren't cheap are just crap.
I remember talking to the local KTM dealer about the Duke 200 and 390s and he said he wasn't really convinced of KTM's move to make the bikes in India.
He said that they were getting bikes coming back with a leaky rocker cover gasket and he said on inspection the gasket that came off a brand new bike looked 20 years old.
Also have you noticed how much money sellers are loosing when selling there 1290?

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:43 pm

AGRO! wrote:I actually wish that KTM would go away from their angular look and make something more traditional.
Like how many more angles can a man bear!
Also their gay corrosive fasteners like there bike aren't cheap are just crap.
I remember talking to the local KTM dealer about the Duke 200 and 390s and he said he wasn't really convinced of KTM's move to make the bikes in India.
He said that they were getting bikes coming back with a leaky rocker cover gasket and he said on inspection the gasket that came off a brand new bike looked 20 years old.
Also have you noticed how much money sellers are loosing when selling there 1290?

Tell us Agro?
Were you convinced of KTMs production moved to India?
As far as angular looks. It doesn't take more than half a glance at KTMs competitors to realise the influence their designs have had on the market over the past 20 years.
Not just by looks but also the ethics of Streetmoto and Naked Sportsbikes
I would be the first to admit about KTMs flawed launches of unproven motorcycles in certain markets.( Check my earlier posts?)
However this Austrian company has undoubtabley improved its stock, over the past decade to be now a recognised competitor in the roadbike market and not just THE MUST HAVE Dirt/enduro/mx option.
2017 1290SD? Best streetbike I've owned or ridden. Full.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Yeah Agro I don't agree about the angular design either. If you want a bulbous tank and curvly lines then get a Bonneville.

I love that I can park my decade old motorcycle next to any 2017 bike (Z900/Z1000, FZ/MT10, S3, CB1000r) and it will still look modern.

Also just to give an example of the interesting people and discussions that we're had on this forum: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8901

There's no one on this forum racing 1290's like this and not spurring massive discussion about changing the bike.

Sad to read that the 1290 let them down so often in 2015: http://gotagteam.com/blog/2016/01/23/af ... -trash-can

Me so Hoony.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:26 pm

At one stage I was thinking of getting a 1290 but for me it just doesn't look right.
I still think the 990 looks better but I don't own one anymore.
I suppose we're all different and like different stuff but I think a motorcycle should look like a motorcycle simplistic not like a space ship.
Maybe it's because I'm getting old and wish we could get back to basics instead of all this modern crap with electronic wizardry just more shite to go wrong.
Anyhow I'm glad you guys love your KTM,s so keep on living the dream..ride on dudes! :D

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:28 pm

AGRO! wrote:At one stage I was thinking of getting a 1290 but for me it just doesn't look right.
I suppose we're all different and like different stuff but I think a motorcycle should look like a motorcycle simplistic not like a space ship.
Maybe it's because I'm getting old and wish we could get back to basics instead of all this modern crap with electronic wizardry just more shite to go wrong.
Anyhow I'm glad you guys love your KTM,s so keep on living the dream..ride on dudes! :D

You're welcome to stir the pot anytime :lol: :lol: :lol:

What are you riding now?

Me so Hoony.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:59 am

Aphex wrote:
AGRO! wrote:At one stage I was thinking of getting a 1290 but for me it just doesn't look right.

You're welcome to stir the pot anytime :lol: :lol: :lol:

What are you riding now?

LOL! I'm riding a Motoguzzi V7 plus a 08 Speed triple plus a Honda 100 lead not all at the same time though :roll:
I like the old school look.......

speedfiend41
Minimoto racer

Postby speedfiend41 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:26 am

I love the angularity of KTMS! I don't think they got the 1290 quite right - the 990 SDR is still the high point for me. The 2017 SDR is a step in the right direction, the new headlight looks great.

I had an RC8 in orange - still one of the best looking bikes ever made. No one could believe it was built in 2008. A stunning design.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 am

AGRO! wrote:LOL! I'm riding a Motoguzzi V7 plus a 08 Speed triple plus a Honda 100 lead not all at the same time though :roll:

Those Speed Triples are damn good looking. I really like them with the single round headlight conversion. Bass had a really nice white one that was always broken lol.

Me so Hoony.

SDSmurf
Wheelie king

Postby SDSmurf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 am

I love KTM's design language. If I wanted a bike that didn't look like a KTM, there are many many options.

I still think the 990 Superduke is the best, closely followed by the RC8 and 1290 which I think looked almost perfect for a 150hp+ V-twin supernaked. The facelift is even better.
The SD needs corners like I need red meat.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 am

Aphex wrote:
AGRO! wrote:LOL! I'm riding a Motoguzzi V7 plus a 08 Speed triple plus a Honda 100 lead not all at the same time though :roll:

Those Speed Triples are damn good looking. I really like them with the single round headlight conversion. Bass had a really nice white one that was always broken lol.

I actually used to own a speedy and had problems and said I would never buy another but this one was to good to pass up.
It's been great not like the old one I had LOL.
I think my old one was a Friday arvo special :roll:
They do look great with one head light mines still sporting the dual lights.
All the newer speedy's look pretty gay :lol:
Yeah I spoke to Bass about his Speedy I can't believe it's been over a year since he left.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 am

speedfiend41 wrote:I love the angularity of KTMS! I don't think they got the 1290 quite right - the 990 SDR is still the high point for me. The 2017 SDR is a step in the right direction, the new headlight looks great.

I had an RC8 in orange - still one of the best looking bikes ever made. No one could believe it was built in 2008. A stunning design.

Yes! The 990SDR looks the best for sure 8)

Previous

Return to Hooliganism