Postby Willh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:32 pm

New MT-60

2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

bic_bicknell

Re: What have you done to your Superduke today

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:39 pm

WillH.

What type of riding/road are those tread patterns designed for? They look similar to tyres I used to put on my supermoto but not on any road bike I ever had.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:35 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:WillH.

What type of riding/road are those tread patterns designed for? They look similar to tyres I used to put on my supermoto but not on any road bike I ever had.

Standard issue on our old ktm 640 SM. 60-40 split so they say. They started making them in a 180 for the Ducati scrambler crowd. Only H rated. Couldn't find a Higher rating around here. I'll keep it under 130 mph :lol:

I can't justify a new 501 Husky so the old dog is seeing a bit of dirt back road action when I get out by myself. The old scorpion trail timed out at 5 years, at the the wear marks, and greasy as fook so...
2008 Superduke

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:32 am

Willh wrote:New MT-60

Disappointed by the lack of rub marks on the bottom of those exhaust cans!

Or am I just jumping mine too high to get that? :lol:
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:01 am

Nope, notice they're mounted on akra mounts. Shortened, higher, and farther apart. In their riginal position they rubbed like a son of a bitch. I do a bridge jump, (the whole bridge ), with big bottoming and she don't rub no more.
2008 Superduke

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:07 am

Here are your rub marks

2008 Superduke

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:38 am

Finally took it out for a decent ride :) It was a perfect Spring day on Sunday so just rode a couple of hours up to Mt Nebo, Mt Glorious and back along Nudgee Beach.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

mac900
Two wheeled terror

Postby mac900 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm on vacation at home this week. Think I'll flush & renew/bleed the brakes on the 1290. That will get rid of that ugly. dark brake fluid and maybe even the odd, humm-groan from the front brakes. ( the humm was there before & after replacing the front discs/rotors ).

nitro450exp
Two wheeled terror

Postby nitro450exp » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:14 pm

New experiment.
2006 KTM Super Duke LC8
2000 Honda RVT1000RR (SP1, RC51)
2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
WERA # 661 (Retired)
WERA Endurance # 66 (Retired)

pdx unicycle
Minimoto racer

Postby pdx unicycle » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:33 pm

Willh wrote:New MT-60

:D I recently put the same tyre on mine. Haven't had time to put any real miles on mine yet.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:15 pm

:D I recently put the same tyre on mine. Haven't had time to put any real miles on mine yet.

Check your tyres speed rating and gear accordingly if you can. Mine is only good to 130mph so running 16:40 with the quiet plates in the Leo's . :wink:

I like the profile of these tyres and it's nice to be on new rubber. They grip much better off-road/dirt-road than the Scorpion trails they replace. New rubber so better grip than the old on road.
2008 Superduke

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:33 am

Last ride of the season yesterday. 17celcius :D calling for 6"to 10" of snow for tomorrow :roll:
Great behaving badly, awful trudging at the speed limit. Finished well with stout and hot roast beef sandwich. 8)
After latest rounds of house renovations are finished a good looking at suspension is called for.
2008 Superduke

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:26 pm

Installed Gilles Tooling GTO-L-B Handlebars. Love the look! I don't know why KTM didn't do this on the black bikes to begin with!!!
The bend is very similar to stock. I think they bend toward the rider just a little bit more. Feels about the same when I'm riding.
I had this done at the dealership. The mechanic said that everything fit perfectly - no modifications had to be made however, you will have to drill and tap a hole on the left side for the switchgear.

2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:46 pm

Looks real good!

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Well today I took my final ride of the year as it's going to be in the minuses next week. It's been a shit year for me this year. It started great and I spoilt myself with a new car in March, by April it had turned sour. I had a mountain bike fall and hurt my hand/wrist. I went and had an X-ray and was told it was just sprained, and to cut a long story short, 5 months later, 3 lots of X-ray 's and an MRI scan,I eventually get told I had broken my scaphoid bone. Riding my Ktm or road or mountain bike was just painful, and any journey was with gritted teeth. I had a bone graft from my hip, ( now that feckin hurt big time) and I had a screw and part of my hip inserted into my wrist along with a temporary pin. Anyhoo, the cast came off my arm last week and it will be a slow recovery to hopefully full potential but today was my last chance to ride and it was literally a 15 minute ride, but it was better than nothing. So now I'm halfway through AC-f50 ing my luverly SD ready for the winter hibernation and will finish off tomorrow.

mac900
Two wheeled terror

Postby mac900 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:01 am

Flushed & renewed brake fluid on the front & rear brakes today.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26977&p=329670#p329670

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 am

Received a new radiator cover from RRG and fitted it.
**excuse the dirty bike, I got caught in a hailstorm yesterday.

2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

orangeracer
Minimoto racer

Postby orangeracer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:22 am

I choose "D," all of the above! 8)

The SD990 parts warehouse: Bling, Akra ti exhaust, Rotty intake, JD Jetting mapper, bling, wave rotors x3, Rizoma tag and blinkers, carbon bling, LED lights all around, Scott's stabilizer, Renthal grips, KX450 handlebar, Evotech sliders, excessive use of Samco hoses and clamps, probably more bling and crap I don't recall for now... :wink:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:38 am

bic_bicknell wrote:WillH.

Hey Bicknell, late to the party on this one but I heard it right from Pirelli that the MT 60's actually started out as road race RAIN tyres and then first used by KTM on the dual purpose bikes in the '90's. That tyre has been around for a while and does work great in the wet and good wear, at least on big bore singles. Be interested to know how it lasts on a big V-twin. Might be a good inexpensive track day rain tyre for some on the SD's?

SD#1

Pirelli's current batch of rain tyres look a little similar (well somewhat) for bike and car:

Image Image

TimR
Two wheeled terror

Postby TimR » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Installed my Motohooligan airbox (thanks to Geoff - PBRnr) and removed the SAS system.
Taking off the SAS system was a bit of a nightmare - access to the cover on the front cylinder is tight to say the least and I managed to round off one of the bolts.
Got there eventually - the MH airbox looks great and the bike looks much better without the plastic crap under the tank. I took it for a quick test ride - its so much smoother, pulls harder and sounds great. Can't wait to ride it properly 8)

MrK
Two wheeled terror

Postby MrK » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:40 pm

LEGENDofTROY wrote:Image

New suspension.

Mate, I have been looking for 990 CNC chain adjusters for ages :shock: Where did you purchased yours? -->>> Image

LEGENDofTROY
Minimoto racer

Postby LEGENDofTROY » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:15 am

MrK wrote:
LEGENDofTROY wrote:Image

New suspension.

Mate, I have been looking for 990 CNC chain adjusters for ages :shock: Where did you purchased yours? -->>> Image

I want to say I got them from KTMTwins years ago but it doesn't seem they carry them now so who knows.
They're made by Supermoto Engineering;

http://www.powersportparts.net/Supermot ... 050624.htm

Hope that helps, sorry for the late-ish reply

EDIT: just noticed that link is for a set for a 625 SMC. Don't know if they are the same or not.

terryo
Minimoto racer

Postby terryo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:06 pm

I hate winter in eastern Ohio!
I picked up this garage queen late last year. Only 5900 miles on the clock. Still had the original tyres on it!!! All stock as it came from the dealer in 2008(including the Akra's) save for Corbin seat and frame sliders added by last owner. Was babied by PO's. I was only able to put 500-ish miles on it before weather went to shite.
So... I'm bored. Updates so far: tyres, MH airbox and SAS delete, rear fender trim, new battery, Powerparts seat, mirrors on the way....

I'm tired of looking at it! I NEED to ride the damn thing! Hurry up Spring!!!!

ImageImage
ImageImage
08 990 SDR/SOLD
85 RZ500
93 RGV250
07 SD 990- SOLD

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:58 pm

terryo wrote:I hate winter in eastern Ohio!
I picked up this garage queen late last year. Only 5900 miles on the clock. Still had the original tyres on it!!! All stock as it came from the dealer in 2008(including the Akra's) save for Corbin seat and frame sliders added by last owner. Was babied by PO's. I was only able to put 500-ish miles on it before weather went to shite.
So... I'm bored. Updates so far: tyres, MH airbox and SAS delete, rear fender trim, new battery, Powerparts seat, mirrors on the way....

I'm tired of looking at it! I NEED to ride the damn thing! Hurry up Spring!!!!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Nice bike.
What's your RGV project?
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

cdv478
Two wheeled terror

Postby cdv478 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:09 am

Yesterday I flushed the cooling system and refilled with Engine Ice, replaced the hoses with black Samco silicon hoses and the clamps Samco sells, installed a lower temperature cooling fan sensor, and cleaned the MotoHooligan air filter. Lifting the front with an engine hoist seemed to help prevent air bubbles and the maximum I saw in bars on the temperature guage was eight, but I still added about 1/10 litre to the reservoir today. The engine runs noticeably cooler now, and although all the changes probably had a cumulative effect, I think the new switch does the most by turning the cooling fan on sooner. I didn't look forward to lifting the front of the motorcycle and never had any leaking or overheating issues and put it off as long as possible, so this was the first time the coolant was changed. As others have experienced, there was quite a bit of casting sand in the original coolant, although the coolant was still very green with no apparent signs of rust. I flushed the system with vinegar to get as much sand out as possible. I used a $100 engine hoist from Harbor Freight to lift the front, and it worked very nicely.

Fitting the hoses was easy overall with the exception of the cylinder head hose connections. Those areas are cramped because a sensor mount (I'm assuming it is a coolant temp sensor on the rear head only, but both heads have the sensor boss) is cast next to the cooling connections, and the thicker Samco hoses and larger clamps do not fit easily between the casting and the cooling system connection pipes. Also, there was a lot of hardened casting sand accumulating on the water pump and radiator hose connections, so next will be a water pump rebuild. I don't lose coolant and when changing the oil the filter pleats are never wavy, but with 13,000 miles, I think the original water pump seal will go bad sooner than later.

It's been over three years since KTM goodwilled the fuel tank and I had the new tank lined by a company in LA through GP Motorcycles (receipt says T. Markus in Hollwood did the liner) due to ethanol-induced expansion. Judging by the distance between the front tank bolt and the triple clamp, as well as the fitment of the tank spoilers, the new tank is showing absolutely no expansion. I use 91 octane Chevron gas and don't add stabilization or other fuel treatment that would help delay the effects of ethanol, so I think the liner is working as intended.
2008 Super Duke R
1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV
1976 Honda GL1000 (given to my father)
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800 (sold)

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism