Yesterday I flushed the cooling system and refilled with Engine Ice, replaced the hoses with black Samco silicon hoses and the clamps Samco sells, installed a lower temperature cooling fan sensor, and cleaned the MotoHooligan air filter. Lifting the front with an engine hoist seemed to help prevent air bubbles and the maximum I saw in bars on the temperature guage was eight, but I still added about 1/10 litre to the reservoir today. The engine runs noticeably cooler now, and although all the changes probably had a cumulative effect, I think the new switch does the most by turning the cooling fan on sooner. I didn't look forward to lifting the front of the motorcycle and never had any leaking or overheating issues and put it off as long as possible, so this was the first time the coolant was changed. As others have experienced, there was quite a bit of casting sand in the original coolant, although the coolant was still very green with no apparent signs of rust. I flushed the system with vinegar to get as much sand out as possible. I used a $100 engine hoist from Harbor Freight to lift the front, and it worked very nicely.
Fitting the hoses was easy overall with the exception of the cylinder head hose connections. Those areas are cramped because a sensor mount (I'm assuming it is a coolant temp sensor on the rear head only, but both heads have the sensor boss) is cast next to the cooling connections, and the thicker Samco hoses and larger clamps do not fit easily between the casting and the cooling system connection pipes. Also, there was a lot of hardened casting sand accumulating on the water pump and radiator hose connections, so next will be a water pump rebuild. I don't lose coolant and when changing the oil the filter pleats are never wavy, but with 13,000 miles, I think the original water pump seal will go bad sooner than later.
It's been over three years since KTM goodwilled the fuel tank and I had the new tank lined by a company in LA through GP Motorcycles (receipt says T. Markus in Hollwood did the liner) due to ethanol-induced expansion. Judging by the distance between the front tank bolt and the triple clamp, as well as the fitment of the tank spoilers, the new tank is showing absolutely no expansion. I use 91 octane Chevron gas and don't add stabilization or other fuel treatment that would help delay the effects of ethanol, so I think the liner is working as intended.
2008 Super Duke R
1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV
1976 Honda GL1000 (given to my father)
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800 (sold)