What have you done to your Superduke today

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Re: What have you done to your Superduke today

Postby Adrock990r » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Showed some love to the 08 990sdr with HEL braided clutch and brake lines to replace the oem gear, had the forks serviced and the leak from the compression adjuster repaired (finally someone knew how to do it), added some more Probolt hardware, a set of Pirelli Supercorsa tyres, Healtech Quickshifter and gear indicator and fabricated and polished some aluminium into a bracket for the gear indicator.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Nice, I just had the 3 o-ring's replaced in my shock compression adjusters to stop a leak as well.

Did you have to cut in to any wires to fit that model gear indicator?

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Motogoon wrote:Nice, I just had the 3 o-ring's replaced in my shock compression adjusters to stop a leak as well.

Did you have to cut in to any wires to fit that model gear indicator?

Hi mate, you don't cut any wires at all with this type. Takes about 2 minutes to connect using the harness that you order with the gear indicator. The wire from the tacho is spliced onto using the supplied tap connector and the other connection is via a plug that goes inline with a 3 pin speedo plug.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 pm

Fitted new tyres, went with PR4 Rear and PP3 front.
I rode 16500 kms on the last set with still a little bit left :)
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Fitted a new rad guard from Racing Radiator Guards.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:26 pm

Adrock990r wrote:S

Do you notice a difference in braking with the dual line set up as opposed to the stock 1 into 2 brake lines?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Hard to say really, they felt good before i changed the lines but i haven't had a really decent run since. The whole front is completely different from having the forks serviced and repaired so i don't have anywhere the amount of front end dive that i had before which of course changes the way it feels under heavy braking. The old oem braided lines had gone really ratty looking at the hose ends and banjo which was the main reason for the change plus they weren't all that expensive to do. I changed out the rubber lines on a mates Yamaha FZ1 at the same time to a set of these braided lines and it has made a huge difference.

Black Out
Minimoto racer

Postby Black Out » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Put Oury grips on, fabricated a license plate bracket and added upper frame sliders. Is there much advantage to the lower sliders as well?
Ducati Monster 800
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
KTM SuperDuke 990

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 am

Adrock990r wrote:Showed some love to the 08 990sdr with HEL braided clutch and brake lines to replace the oem gear, had the forks serviced and the leak from the compression adjuster repaired (finally someone knew how to do it), added some more Probolt hardware, a set of Pirelli Supercorsa tyres, Healtech Quickshifter and gear indicator and fabricated and polished some aluminium into a bracket for the gear indicator.

Polishing metal is a PITA...good work, custom bracket looks good!
Also really liking your allen bolts for your front fender. Where are they from?

Yesterday, I swapped the halogen for an H4 LED and today bumbled my way through applying some yellow vinyl over the headlight. Had to dremel off the raised portions of the oem bulb clip to accommodate the cooling fins on back of the LED bulb. The low output of the oem halogen was such that I really hadn't noticed how poor the beam shape was until turning on w the LED. Light throw is WAY farther out (no pics before to compare) but every little shaft of abhorrent light from the reflector is very noticeable now too...took a walk down the block while the lights were on and wasn't blinded, so feeling hopeful for other motorists.

Having no prior exp w laying down vinyl, applying it to the SD headlight was def foolhardy. Took me several tries to avoid completely wrecking the wrap, but 4th time better (good thing it's a small cover and the roll was sized for car application). It looks pretty poor up close w scuffs, a few wrinkles and lifts but should protect the lens from small road debris...Banking on the 20/20 rule (looks good at 20mph or from 20ft away). Kinda gives the bike a post-apocalyptic vibe w the colder LED color mixing w the yellow to make a blue/greenish tint
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 am

Hi mate you can find the countersunk fairing bolts and washers at http://www.probolt-usa.com. I replaced the tank shrouds and belly pan mounts with the same type. If you do use the aluminium ones just be sure to use the allen key provided or a good quality allen key and some blue loctite as the heads are quite soft and will get damaged if you try to tighten them too much. In saying that they hold fine just don't yank on the bolts. Regarding the polishing of some of the parts i have done i actually enjoyed it funnily enough :)

step1
Minimoto racer

Postby step1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 pm

today i have fitted a R&G rad guard and a Evotech performance tail tidy. The Rad guard i thought would be a five minute job but trying to fit the zip ties with my chunky fingers was a bastard. I can also understand why the evotech tail tidy is so expensive. A very nice piece of engineering not your average knock up part.

crazyinp
Two wheeled terror

Postby crazyinp » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:03 am

Finally had time to install the Oberon slave. Bleeding was a PITAImage
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:27 am

Broke the "gear selector thingy thing" on the way to work .. it was stuck in 4th gear for about 10kms. Fun times.
Luckily the 990 has a lot of torque so I was able to take off from about 5 sets of lights (just) but sitting below 60kms was sluggish.
Ordered the part from KTM Brisbane (2 in stock at KTM Australia so expected tomorrow if I'm lucky).

FYI in case anyone needs one, the part is a "Relay Lever Natural 07" (610 340 30000 01S) - which supercedes "Relay Lever Selector Shaft 05" (610 340 30000). Not cheap at $132.50 !.

Has anyone else had one of these break ?. I do change gears a lot so its duty cycle is very high (cant complain really). Hopefully the newer version is stronger though but assume its the same as what was on the bike.

Last edited by DukeNukem999 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:15 am

That's a pretty crazy break. Is it notchy at all when you shift? Looks like it would take a bit of force to do that or maybe it was just fatigued.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:21 am

I polished my turd and took a couple pics.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:36 am

Comrade Aphex: I wouldn't wash it too often as something might grow in the garden :lol:

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Fitted a Motobox to the 1290 over the weekend. An even more beautiful thing than the 990 version. Easier fit than the 990 too. Off to the dyno later in the week for a map tweak.

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 pm

jmann wrote:Comrade Aphex: I wouldn't wash it too often as something might grow in the garden :lol:

You're right, I wouldn't want the misses thinking the yard is for anything but flat track practice :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me so Hoony.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm

Aphex wrote:That's a pretty crazy break. Is it notchy at all when you shift? Looks like it would take a bit of force to do that or maybe it was just fatigued.

Yeah its been a little sticky between 4th/5th, changing up and down (mainly up though).. wasn't getting worse and not always apparent. Other gears seem fine.
Not sure if its related but assuming it is. I actually rode it home after changing it down to 3rd gear using some multigrips. Its actually quite rideable in 60/70kms zones and take off is okay.

Took it apart last night. Absolute PITA design (thanks again KTM). Must of been the same guy that designed the battery box...lol.
I'm sure they could of designed it way better. The broken part is a very light alloy. I'd rather it was stronger at the cost of a little more weight tbh. I can't see why they couldn't use a straight through shaft or even just an extension shaft.
It would be so much simpler...but I'm no expert. Instead its many parts to achieve the same thing and you have to take the side stand off to get to the rear bolt that holds the "Relay Lever" to the gear selector spline.
No socket tools i have would fit (socket extension joint was a tad too long), so had to use an 8mm spanner (but you can only turn it about an 8th of a turn at most).

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 am

The part came in yesterday and I put it in. Pretty straight forward process but one of the side stand bolts was very tight screwing back in.
So had to take it out / screw it in a few times. Didn't look threaded and even tried changing it over with another but was still the same.
Nice being able to change gears ...lol.

Now for its 45K service + some of # 47's maintenance tips ;) ,,,reminds me of my old IT250 and WR450F. always cleaning them out ;)
Last edited by DukeNukem999 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:54 am

Maybe the part broke because your bike has been on its side at some point, even a low impact on a cast part can lead to cracking - the stuff doesn't like to bend or twist and will often bend slightly and cause a hairline crack and yet still look ok to the naked eye.
I suspect the mounting bolt was hard to screw back in because of old loctite in the thread. Thesedays you can buy a super cheap set of taps to clean out the old female threads as needed.
Glad you were able to get a new part without having to wait for weeks.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 pm

abc wrote:Maybe the part broke because your bike has been on its side at some point, even a low impact on a cast part can lead to cracking - the stuff doesn't like to bend or twist and will often bend slightly and cause a hairline crack and yet still look ok to the naked eye.
I suspect the mounting bolt was hard to screw back in because of old loctite in the thread. Thesedays you can buy a super cheap set of taps to clean out the old female threads as needed.
Glad you were able to get a new part without having to wait for weeks.

Yeah I think you're right as I suspect loctite being the issue.
Possible it was dropped by previous owner, but no other signs that I have seen. I've done 24,000 kms on it now (bought it with 21,000 kms on the ODO) and its been fine up until Monday.
Saying that the break was on the inside and not on the outside... who knows ?.
Will see how it goes now and yes I was grateful there were 2 of these parts in the country....would've sucked to have to wait weeks.
Last edited by DukeNukem999 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ravendark
Two wheeled terror

Postby Ravendark » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:59 pm

Went on a ride with some friends, 40kms for the first service.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:45 pm

Installed a new Eibach spring on the shock. Looking forward to next riding season...
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

Spanke_y
Minimoto racer

Postby Spanke_y » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 pm

Installed GB Frame protectors (upper) today just waiting on the lowers.I also put on ABV levers to replace the tired OEM's - nice adjustments as I can tweak as I ride. I've been taking it out regularly to try and get more settled on the bike, I love riding in the cooler weather. I'm still shocked at the engine braking when off the throttle though, and it's snatchy. I'm working through removing/adjusting stuff the previous owner did (Reset suspension back to factory as it was all over the place).

Every time I think of changing the R for a less aggressive machine, I look at it and decide I must persevere. I guess years on triples and inline 4's spoiled me!

I may test ride a 1290 to see if it's smoother... ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism