KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Re: KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:19 pm

Tripped1 wrote:
SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Thanks Tripped1, I like tits very much too

I just received the catalytic converter today, had little time to make it fit but I managed to get it sorted, I had to skim down the 65mm lip down to 60mm to make it fit properly (as mentioned I knew this needed to be done), I had to clean up the inside of the link pipe & give the inside of the link pipe & outside of the cat a bit of a skim to make the cat slide in made for a tight fit, wont be coming out again anyway
I did not get around to making a before video but I will have to get a video of it now with & without the custom db killer I made

How are you going with yours yohammer? did you receive the cat yet....surely by now???

Got me wondering if I could adapt something like that to the akraprovic header......I bet I know a guy that could do the work in titanium......just in fear of what that can costs. :oops:

Sure that would be very easy to do for someone working in the exhaust industry that has experience with titanium, I think the Akrapovic full system is 65mm at the end of the header, A little bit bigger than the stock 60mm
Ideally you would keep the Akrapovic header as is & DO NOT MODIFY in any way & just make the small link pipe to suit the muffler as you need

Honestly though, that piece is so short & the difference between stainless & titanium for that little section would be minuscule, pointless
If you were racing/drag racing etc then yeah, otherwise just get some stainless & make the little slip on link pipe to go on the end of the header, you will also need to shrink the end of it back down to 60mm OD for a BMW S1000RR muffler, better than 50mm with the ZX10 though

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm

yohammer wrote:Got my Cat from Akrapovic this weekend,installed it today.
I didn't ride the bike yet,but the sound with ore without Cat doesn't make any difference .

Very surprising, being a smaller OD catalytic converter yours is also quite a bit longer which should create more restriction, I did not notice a huge difference at idle but higher in the RPM the exhaust flows much more so any tiny restriction like the cat will be more noticeable, as mentioned earlier, it is more so to reduce the huge aggressive bark at higher RPM, the cat has done it just nicely for me

When you take it for a ride you should notice a difference in the higher RPM's

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:22 pm

I will take it for a ride this weekend if the rain stops falling down.Maybe I will notice the difference with more revs :lol:

Do you think btw there is a flow direction for the Cat? . There was no arrow on the Cat....

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:48 am

So I've read thru some of the posts and have a few exhaust questions as I'm looking around at SD_R's...

Akra slip on- is there a db killer installed? is it easy to remove and can you put it back in? I have a 950 Super enduro with dual akras and it has db killers that you can bolt in and out. mostly out. :)

I saw a bike the other day that had the Austin Racing ti headers, the Arrow de-cat mid pipe, and the Akra slip on. thoughts on how this might sound? Looking for mellow at low rpms (like leaving my neighborhood early in the morning) but a bit more growl at high rpms.

I also looked at a bike with Graves, but didn't hear it running. looked better than I thought it would.

Ideally would like the Akra full system but they are pricey. I want deeper than stock sound but would rather spend my money on suspension and tyres. bike will see a decent amount of track use.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:04 pm

SpeedyR wrote:So I've read thru some of the posts and have a few exhaust questions as I'm looking around at SD_R's...

Akra slip on- is there a db killer installed? is it easy to remove and can you put it back in? I have a 950 Super enduro with dual akras and it has db killers that you can bolt in and out. mostly out. :)

I saw a bike the other day that had the Austin Racing ti headers, the Arrow de-cat mid pipe, and the Akra slip on. thoughts on how this might sound? Looking for mellow at low rpms (like leaving my neighborhood early in the morning) but a bit more growl at high rpms.

I also looked at a bike with Graves, but didn't hear it running. looked better than I thought it would.

Ideally would like the Akra full system but they are pricey. I want deeper than stock sound but would rather spend my money on suspension and tyres. bike will see a decent amount of track use.

Yes there is a DB killer in the Akra slip on muffler, I dont have one myself but there is tons of posts on how to remove the db killer etc

Lots of videos on youtube if you search lots of different keywords etc you will find all sorts of Superduke exhaust videos

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Finally got around to doing a quick video, need to sort out the wind noise issue for on board ride videos, this will give you an idea of the sound anyway>>

Last edited by SUPERDUKEINOZ on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:24 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Finally got around to doing a quick video, need to sort out the wind noise issue for on board ride videos, this will give you an idea of the sound anyway>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA3SfGPLKNA

But it doesn't sound like a BMW... :mrgreen:
Crash

2014 SDR

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 pm

aracheon wrote:But it doesn't sound like a BMW... :mrgreen:

Yeah the BMW muffler was brand new so luckily it didnt have any BMW sound in it before I used it :lol:

CrackShotDave
Minimoto racer

Postby CrackShotDave » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:44 pm

Sorry to open an old thread but... I am currently in the process of installing the bmw akra slipon and im trying to work out how the muffler was fixed to the bike... it looks as tho it is just bolted on to the link pipe and no other supports used....?

Thanks x

Previous

Return to Hooliganism