KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
jemook
Two wheeled terror

KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

Postby jemook » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:53 am

Thought it would be good to have a thread showing all the new exhaust options available for the 1290 Superduke R.. Without further ado:

Austin Racing

http://www.austinracing.info/mall/depar ... /_500293/1

SUPERDUKE 1290 GP1 HI SLUNG DE CAT EXHAUST SYSTEM. THE AMAZING ALL NEW GP1 HI SLUNG EXHAUST SYSTEM COMING VERY SOON WILL BE AVAILABLE IN DECAT & FULL SYSTEMS. (headers available later in year will fit to de cat systems)

GP3 LOW LEVEL. ALLOWS REAR PASSENGER PEG USE. NOW Available to order, please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery from the very first build batch. The GP3 is a decat system, when we release race headers later this year they will fit to ytour GP3 exhaust.

Akrapovic

Full system

Slip on

Wings

http://wingsexhausts.com.au/new_1190_nos_carbon_11.html

The Wings 1290r is a short exhaust, built to the same unmatched quality as all the other WINGS exhausts. Available for delivery at the end of February 2014, we are taking pre-orders now. While the manufacturer continues to include 2 baffle sizes to his European customers, We have chosen to keep the price as low as possible by only having the larger "EU 40mm" baffle included in the 1190 exhaust kit. Any other additional baffle can be requested at an extra cost, or as a substitute for the "default EU 40mm" item at no extra cost.

IXIL

Can be found on Ebay

ImageImage

Screaming Demon

Can be found on Ebay

Post up any more you guys find and I'll add it to the OP.

Cheers,
Jem

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Re: KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

Postby MrZ32 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:52 am

And if anyone finds an underslung full system like the rc8. .. You will be my favourite person and will be the thing that tips me over the scales to buy a 1290. So far the gp1 full system is the winner by far
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:05 am

I've tried loads of different exhaust systems over the years... D&D, Arrow, Remus, Yoshi etc, but every single time I've switched back to Akrapovic.

Nothing comes near them in terms of quality.

The bonus is, with the KTM it means warranty is unaffected and the kit comes with air filter, sas removal kit and the correct map.

Dread to think what the AR pipes do to fuelling...

Leeroy
Last edited by Leeroybrown01 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:13 am

I remember seeing an rc8r race bike with a fully custom 2-1 header with a tiny collector. It might have been a tri-valley bike. It had the tuned length headers that looked so stupidly mean it wasn't funny. That being said it was pretty much just a proper header system that didn't really have a muffler.

As for the akra gear. .. For once they made the worst looking system available... and want to charge the earth for it. Their ti gear cracks like a mofo too.
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:29 am

Agreed that it could be prettier..!

Never had an issue with them cracking. Always found them to be perfect.

My old Mille had a Colin Edwards SBK engine in it and I had to get Akrapovic to custom build me some headers... They were a complete work of art... A complete work of £3500 art..!!!

The AR high level pipe is £1100 for an end can. Hardly cheap, and nowhere near Akrapovic quality.

Leeroy

jemook
Two wheeled terror

Postby jemook » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:36 am

I'm hoping Competition Werkes makes an exhaust for the 1290r. I had a set on my R1 and 1098s and loved the sound they produced to bits. Love the welding they do too:

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:33 am

Leeroybrown01 wrote:I've tried loads of different exhaust systems over the years... D&D, Arrow, Remus, Yoshi etc, but every single time I've switched back to Akrapovic.

Nothing comes near them in terms of quality.

The bonus is, with the KTM it means warranty is unaffected and the kit comes with air filter, sas removal kit and the correct map.

Dread to think what the AR pipes do to fuelling...

Leeroy

The correct map! You must be joking right!!! The akra map on the SD990 was correct for BP and Shell. It poured fuel in by the jerry can and had no power at all for the same reason.
You crack me up man! Everyone running that map got hardly 150 km out of a tank and make their clothes stink like they fell in an oil well.
In my opinion that is the worst map I ever seen on a dyno, and that included the experienced operator( 10 years plus). The bike we tried it on had less power on the akra map than on the original with the akra pipes fitted by the dealer for the round sum of NZ$ 3500, thank you very much!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Works lovely on mine. Thank you very much.

BassAgent
Site Admin

Postby BassAgent » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:59 pm

leeroy is just a fanboy, cut em some slack ktmguy :lol:
Current bikes:
1990 GSXR 750 (custom streetfighter project WIP)
2006 Speed Triple 1050
2007 KTM 525 EXC (Sumo'd out)
2008 SuperDuke 990 R
2015 FZ-09

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Guy. . You are completely correct. The most stupidly rich map available was the akra map. So much so that it can cope a host of mods including motobox, removal of secondary flies, modified intakes as well as a straight through system.

In fact, even after all these mods, the map can be further leaned out.

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Just a fanboy...???

FFS.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:50 pm

Leeroybrown01 wrote:Agreed that it could be prettier..!

The AR high level pipe is £1100 for an end can. Hardly cheap, and nowhere near Akrapovic quality.

Leeroy

See no issues with the quality on mine, more than happy with it and as good as the Akro on the 990.
At £810 (A$1500) for the Akro slip on that still retains the cat and really sound no difference to stock pipe I dont know why you would bother.
AR Instructed not to run it without the baffle as it will be too lean so not really a problem.
All the others shown above still run with the 5kg cat, whats the point.
Plus AR are the only guys that have spent their time to get on this forum and ask opinions, feedback, etc from forum members.
Rich and Neo from AR have been quick to get back to me in regards to any of my queries, great service, so credit where credit is due.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:08 am

I haven't knocked anyone else's systems or approach...

Just said that in my opinion, Akrapovic make better quality systems than any others that I've tried. And I've tried many, but, sometimes reluctantly, end up going back to Akrapovic.

Some of the ones listed above look great (Werks, AR), but they're all only end cans and therefore not really relevant to me... and all potentially void your warranty. I had a good look at the AR cans last week and the quality, for me, isn't up to Akrapovic.

Each to their own. Whatever.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:45 am

Leeroybrown01 wrote:I haven't knocked anyone else's systems or approach...

Just said that in my opinion, Akrapovic make better quality systems than any others that I've tried. And I've tried many, but, sometimes reluctantly, end up going back to Akrapovic.

Some of the ones listed above look great (Werks, AR), but they're all only end cans and therefore not really relevant to me... and all potentially void your warranty. I had a good look at the AR cans last week and the quality, for me, isn't up to Akrapovic.

Each to their own. Whatever.

Relax Leroy I am not having a crack at you just stating that i am happy with AR and think that Akro are having a lend at their pricing and lack of product.

I have just been looking at the standard pipe and it is straight through with a baffle. Just need a joiner pipe that removes the cat and remove the baffle, viola, cheap and loud.

Davo-Singapore
Stunt rider

Postby Davo-Singapore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:00 am

Thought I'd share this with you. Mivv didnt show any interest back in October and I havent seen any further news on their website....

> From: moto@mivv.it <moto@mivv.it>
> Subject: R: Richiesta di informazione del Sig. david munday inviata attraverso il sito MIVV.it
> To: david.munday@yahoo.com.au
> Received: Friday, 4 October, 2013, 8:03 PM
> Hello,
>
> unfortunately we don't make any exhaust system for the the
> new 1290
> Superduke R and there are no plans in the short period.
>
> Any future update will be published on our website
> www.mivv.it
>
> Cordiali saluti ------ Best regards ------ Mit
> freundlichen Grußen ------
> Meilleures salutations ----- Saludos
> cordiales
>
> MIVV S.p.A.
> +39 (0)861 8120237
> +39 (0)861 8120240
> moto@mivv.it
> http://www.mivv.it
>
> MIVV Official
> http://www.youtube.com/mivvexhausts
> > -----Messaggio originale-----
> >
> Inviato: venerdì 4 ottobre 2013 6.02
> A: moto@mivv.it
> Oggetto: Richiesta di informazione del Sig. david munday
> inviata attraverso
> il sito MIVV.it
>
> ATTENZIONE: EMAIL INVIATA DAL SITO IN VERSIONE INGLESE
>
> Per agevolare le risposte alle tue richieste riportiamo di
> seguito un elenco
> degli argomenti maggiormente utilizzati. Ti preghiamo di
> cliccare
> sull'argomento che riguarda la tua richiesta:
>
> Cognome e Nome: david munday
>
>
> Richiesta: Hi, I have MIVV suono titaniums on my 2010 model
> KTM Superduke R
> and love them. I will be buying the new 1290 Superduke R
> from the first
> batch that comes to Asia. The road version of the bike will
> have an Akra
> system for the road buy the prototype launched at EICMA last
> year has a
> straight through open system. I wont be riding this bike on
> the road and
> want a MIVV system as close to the design of the Akra system
> that was on the
> prototype at the EICMA launch. Please could you let me know
> if there is an
> exhaust system in your range that I can install on this new
> bike. Thank you.
> I look forward to hearing from you. David
>
>

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:43 am

Akra, graves, Arata, LV, Harris to name a few, are names I trust and respect. Sorry to say but all the AR's look like cheap shit and visually devalue the appearence of the bike imho, I mentally associate them with 2bros spontainously combusting slipons, cheap imitations.

The best isn't cheap.
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
Colin Chapman

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:00 am

ebags wrote:Akra, graves, Arata, LV, Harris to name a few, are names I trust and respect. Sorry to say but all the AR's look like cheap shit and visually devalue the appearence of the bike imho, I mentally associate them with 2bros spontainously combusting slipons, cheap imitations.

The best isn't cheap.

:shock: I tought I was harsh when I mentioned I didn't like the look!
I don't have a problem with the quality of the AR, I just don't like the look on the SD1290R. But that's just personal taste as others like it.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

BassAgent
Site Admin

Postby BassAgent » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 am

ebags sounds like the type who just buys something because of the brand and how expensive it is, lol, I bet he hangs out at starbucks :lol:
Current bikes:
2006 Speed Triple 1050
2008 SuperDuke 990 R
2015 FZ-09

fatbob
Stunt rider

Postby fatbob » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:47 pm

ebags wrote:Akra, graves, Arata, LV, Harris to name a few, are names I trust and respect. Sorry to say but all the AR's look like cheap shit and visually devalue the appearence of the bike imho, I mentally associate them with 2bros spontainously combusting slipons, cheap imitations.

The best isn't cheap.

Im surprised by this , In the early days I agree , however I didnt see a significant difference on their newer stuff between Akra and Austin , I thought the Carbon and welding was pretty good , nothing like Arrow or scorpion.. LV carbon is proper shit IMHO
MAybe they've slipped backwards.....

Akrapovic for me also on all bikes.......The money has gone feckin crazy though , I paid almost £700 for the 1190 ADV Akra end can ( CAT fitted in it)

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:57 am

fatbob wrote:Im surprised by this , In the early days I agree , however I didnt see a significant difference on their newer stuff between Akra and Austin , I thought the Carbon and welding was pretty good , nothing like Arrow or scorpion.. LV carbon is proper shit IMHO
MAybe they've slipped backwards.....

Akrapovic for me also on all bikes.......The money has gone feckin crazy though , I paid almost £700 for the 1190 ADV Akra end can ( CAT fitted in it)

I had a LV SBK exhaust with CF cans at one point for my R1 and it was flawless. Maybe they have gone downhill since. :?:

I'm an Akra fan as I've never had or personally seen quality issues. And for me they are the most visually appealing. They really take into account the lines of a bike and design to suit. I'm happy to pay for the quality and the shit ton of R&D and racing history.. they know what they are doing.

BassAgent wrote:ebags sounds like the type who just buys something because of the brand and how expensive it is, lol, I bet he hangs out at starbucks :lol:

Hahaha! you're a funny one aren't ya. Might want to try harder next time. :lol:

Back to the snake bro, I'll catch you on RNickeyMouse's YouTube channel failing at all things motorcycle. :P

ktmguy wrote: :shock: I tought I was harsh when I mentioned I didn't like the look!
I don't have a problem with the quality of the AR, I just don't like the look on the SD1290R. But that's just personal taste as others like it.

Might have been a tad harsh, but just sayin' it as I'm seein' it.

If I were to opt left of field with an exhaust I'd go with Racefit or M4 (if they were an option for the 1290 of course).
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
Colin Chapman

BassAgent
Site Admin

Postby BassAgent » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:31 am

Pfffft, watch rnickeymouse's channel and you'll see me doing a wheelie at maximum lean angle doing 70mph though that turn 8)
Current bikes:
2006 Speed Triple 1050
2008 SuperDuke 990 R
2015 FZ-09

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:04 am

ebags wrote:[qu
I'm an Akra fan as I've never had or personally seen quality issues. And for me they are the most visually appealing. They really take into account the lines of a bike and design to suit. I'm happy to pay for the quality and the shit ton of R&D and racing history.. they know what they are doing.

Agree with the quality of the Akra but think they have dropped the ball this time around as it looks the only way to get rid of the (fat) cat is to buy the complete system.
At (could be wrong) around $4000 (does that include the slip-on?) it is in anyone language not exactly cheap and while not out of my league it would be something I would be loathe to fork out that much for.

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:35 am

BassAgent wrote:Pfffft, watch rnickeymouse's channel and you'll see me doing a wheelie at maximum lean angle doing 70mph though that turn 8)

What no gal on the back wearing a G-string? :lol:

scamb66 wrote:Agree with the quality of the Akra but think they have dropped the ball this time around as it looks the only way to get rid of the (fat) cat is to buy the complete system.
At (could be wrong) around $4000 (does that include the slip-on?) it is in anyone language not exactly cheap and while not out of my league it would be something I would be loathe to fork out that much for.

I do agree they should have included a de-cat pipe within the cost of the slip-on. There seems to be a lot of angst about the price of the full system... I'm more shocked at the $1500AUD for the slip-on! I think $1200 for the slip on and a further $300 for a de-cat pipe would be far more popular and moved more units for them. I'm sure some one will manufacture a de-cat pipe for the slip-on at some point.

My only reason for purchasing the full system is weight. As Collin Chapman said, "Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." It's been an addiction for years and I intend to get the 1290 as light as my wallet will allow. More "flick-ability", acceleration, deceleration etc. I don't need more power, I'm the first to admit there's no way in hell I can utalise the current power but if I get a more freely revving motor and smoother more tractable torque curve, that will be welcomed. And lets be honest, when is more noise a bad thing? 8)
Colin Chapman

BassAgent
Site Admin

Postby BassAgent » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 am

ebags wrote:
BassAgent wrote:Pfffft, watch rnickeymouse's channel and you'll see me doing a wheelie at maximum lean angle doing 70mph though that turn 8)

She's waiting for me at starbuck's obviously :lol:
Current bikes:
2006 Speed Triple 1050
2008 SuperDuke 990 R
2015 FZ-09

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:53 am

BassAgent wrote:
ebags wrote:

She's waiting for me at starbuck's obviously :lol:

So now the truth comes out!! You're the one frequenting Starbuck's.
Colin Chapman

Next

Return to Hooliganism