KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Re: KTM Superduke 1290r exhaust options

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Thu May 05, 2016 8:45 am

P-KAT-005/4 is the one you will need then, it is 48mm, 200 cell hi flow, just what you need
(At the top of the list in my post above)
Also seems to be another one that is hard to find, I think it is mainly because they are 200 cell hi flow catalytic converters but I wouldnt use anything else other than the 200 cell cores, it will restrict it too much using the typical 400 cell cores I think

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Thu May 05, 2016 7:48 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Fri May 06, 2016 8:05 am

Yeah I used that PDF to quote some of the sizes originally, its not real accurate though, the P-KAT-006/3 actually has a 62mm lip on it that is not shown on that PDF, the pics with the dimensions show more detail
I will have it sorted in a few weeks one way or another

Do you have any videos of yours with the ZX10R Akrapovic muffler fitted Yohammer?
Guessing it is pretty damn loud, you should be able to run it without the DB killer when you fit the catalytic converter hopefully?
I imagine it will be a big deep sound without the high pitch bark at high RPM

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Fri May 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Just bought the 005/1 catalyst on moto24.de.It was the cheapest one I could find include shipping.
Now wait until I got it,I will make a video for you before and after installing the cat.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sat May 07, 2016 7:24 am

moto24 .de or .it? got a link?

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Sat May 07, 2016 7:40 pm

They got one website for 5 countries.Here is a link from there website,in the right top corner you can change the country
http://www.moto24.org

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun May 08, 2016 9:55 am

Whereabouts are you actually from yohammer? how much was it incl shipping?
They have the one I need ( 006/1) too so it might be an option for me? depends on the conversion to Australian dollars?

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Sun May 08, 2016 10:59 am

Shipping to The Netherlands was 4,99€ with DHL.But wen you take a subscription on there e-mails you get a voucher
from 5€.So shipping was actually free for me..

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 am

Just received the Akra S1 muffler, waiting for the Mivv link pipe to arrive hopefully in the next few days
Should have a 006/3 catalytic converter on the way in the next few days also, couldnt get a 006/1 unfortunately

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Fri May 20, 2016 10:22 am

Mivv link pipe was thought to be MIA but all good, found it today
The catalytic converter has just been sent so it may be a week or 2 before I receive it

I am now on the lookout for a 58mm OD DB killer to suit the BMW S1000RR muffler???

Closest I have found that I actually like is the Arrow 11007db, it has a 58mm OD but it is a curved configuration so the bend will need cutting out & re-welding straight, no big deal though as I like the design, I think it will work well to quieten it down if need be, would be better to run it unrestricted without a DB killer & it may be quiet enough just with the cat fitted hopefully but I think it might be just a little bit too loud still, will find out very soon!

How are you going with yours yohammer? any news???

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun May 22, 2016 7:47 am

Little bit of progress today! Looking at the first ever OEM BMW S1000RR Akrapovic shorty muffler fitted on a 1290 Superduke

I cut the Mivv link pipe & found I had to make 2 small wedge cuts in the tube & re-weld it to correct the bend a little bit to get it sitting in the right spot, trimmed the carbon clamp cover to blend it in nicely with the little link pipe

I fired it up couldnt believe how awesome it sounds, very VERY deep sounding due to the 60mm ID muffler outlet, not as loud as I expected but it is still pretty damn loud, the catalytic converter might reduce the DB's down enough to not even worry about a DB killer in the end of the muffler....hopefully???
Very happy with it so far, have not had a chance to test ride it yet, would like to get the catalytic converter in first but I cant wait that long so I will see if I can get time tomorrow for a quick test ride, cant wait

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 am

That is the best looking I have seen, and it won't collect water, like others.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun May 22, 2016 11:48 am

Thanks Harold
Being the black logo muffler it seems to blend in better for an almost factory look, there is not a lot of room to work with in terms of positioning the muffler, I aimed to have it as high as possible for clearance but I did not want it kicked up at the end of the muffler more so for looks (not a fan of the muffler pointing up into the air on any bike), I think the muffler position worked out great, it is higher than the factory cat so all good there + it simply flows with the lines of the bike too
The rain getting in is a good point I never really though about, I dont plan on leaving my bike parked in the rain at any time but you never know

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 am

Looping good,I'm also still waiting for my cat it's delayed from shipping.They didn't have it in stock.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 am

I am not 100% sure if my cat has been sent either, I was told it "would" be sent, but I have not received a tracking number yet so until then......

Went for a bit of a ride today, all I can say is it is DAMN DEEP sounding, I gave it a bit on an on ramp onto a highway & holy jeebs it just sounded totally different, has a weird GP bike x almost Tron??? like sound like nothing else, it is a bit too loud, borderline obnoxiously loud but not too bad considering how short the muffler & overall exhaust is, I would not run it like that full time though
Want to hurry up & try the cat out, after riding today I think it will be just right with the cat fitted

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 am

Thats the muffler Akra should have made. Nice work.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Mon May 23, 2016 11:05 am

scamb66 wrote:Thats the muffler Akra should have made. Nice work.

I agree they could have come up with a similar option as a "race" only / full hoon option lol, after all they do make this muffler for the BMW S1000RR & most will tell you it is way too loud on the BMW too so why not make it for the 1290
The actual muffler body & internals would ideally be maybe 2"-3" longer just to help reduce the sound & maintain some extra back pressure, there is lots of other exhaust manufacturers offering similar much smaller basically baked bean can mufflers that would have much less sound reduction capabilities
Last edited by SUPERDUKEINOZ on Mon May 23, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

That looks amazing. Great job.

bdrannik
Minimoto racer

Postby bdrannik » Mon May 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I've just flipped through 20 pages of this thread and the S1000RR adaptation above is by far my favorite setup - it looks great. Being located in Florida the lack of it being a rain-catcher when parked is also appealing.
Researching future purchase: 2017 SuperDuke GT 1290, Rottweiler Intake, 80/80 Stacks, Akrapovic Full, PC-V w/AT-300, Shorai LiFePO4 Battery, BST Carbons, BrakeTech Axis/CMC Rotors, 16T Front Sprocket

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Thu May 26, 2016 1:01 pm

bdrannik wrote:I've just flipped through 20 pages of this thread and the S1000RR adaptation above is by far my favorite setup - it looks great. Being located in Florida the lack of it being a rain-catcher when parked is also appealing.

Good to hear bdrannik!

My catalytic converter is on the way, I have the tracking & I know it will be a while before it arrives, hoping maybe a week but could be 10 days or so? hopefully not

I would like to ride it in the mean time so I have knocked up a custom DB killer for now using some left over perforated baffle tubing & scrap exhaust pipe, does the job quite well for now, this will give me more options later on when the cat is fitted

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:27 am

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Little bit of progress today! Looking at the first ever OEM BMW S1000RR Akrapovic shorty muffler fitted on a 1290 Superduke

I cut the Mivv link pipe & found I had to make 2 small wedge cuts in the tube & re-weld it to correct the bend a little bit to get it sitting in the right spot, trimmed the carbon clamp cover to blend it in nicely with the little link pipe

I fired it up couldnt believe how awesome it sounds, very VERY deep sounding due to the 60mm ID muffler outlet, not as loud as I expected but it is still pretty damn loud, the catalytic converter might reduce the DB's down enough to not even worry about a DB killer in the end of the muffler....hopefully???
Very happy with it so far, have not had a chance to test ride it yet, would like to get the catalytic converter in first but I cant wait that long so I will see if I can get time tomorrow for a quick test ride, cant wait

Bravo that is seriously tits. Just tits.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks Tripped1, I like tits very much too

I just received the catalytic converter today, had little time to make it fit but I managed to get it sorted, I had to skim down the 65mm lip down to 60mm to make it fit properly (as mentioned I knew this needed to be done), I had to clean up the inside of the link pipe & give the inside of the link pipe & outside of the cat a bit of a skim to make the cat slide in made for a tight fit, wont be coming out again anyway
I did not get around to making a before video but I will have to get a video of it now with & without the custom db killer I made

How are you going with yours yohammer? did you receive the cat yet....surely by now???

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:42 pm

I Canceled my order because they couldn't deliver it.Now I have order the Cat somewhere else,hopefully I get it next week....

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:07 am

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Thanks Tripped1, I like tits very much too

I just received the catalytic converter today, had little time to make it fit but I managed to get it sorted, I had to skim down the 65mm lip down to 60mm to make it fit properly (as mentioned I knew this needed to be done), I had to clean up the inside of the link pipe & give the inside of the link pipe & outside of the cat a bit of a skim to make the cat slide in made for a tight fit, wont be coming out again anyway
I did not get around to making a before video but I will have to get a video of it now with & without the custom db killer I made

How are you going with yours yohammer? did you receive the cat yet....surely by now???

Got me wondering if I could adapt something like that to the akraprovic header......I bet I know a guy that could do the work in titanium......just in fear of what that can costs. :oops:

yohammer
Minimoto racer

Postby yohammer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48 am

Got my Cat from Akrapovic this weekend,installed it today.
I didn't ride the bike yet,but the sound with ore without Cat doesn't make any difference .

Here some movies

https://vid.me/IwZ3
https://vid.me/mFES
https://vid.me/DG7f
https://vid.me/yaGA

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism