1290 power wheelies

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Re: 1290 power wheelies

Postby Bermo KTM » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Don wrote:
sexparty wrote:Right RPMs and it'll do it. Done it at 180kmph in 4th. I only weigh 70kg though.

Rider weight shouldn't be a deciding factor depending on body position, in fact weighing more would be a benefit if you sit back.

sorry mate but you contradicted yourself with that statement !! ie: weight isn't a factor but if you weigh more !!!
errr you said it isn't a factor and then said it is so which is it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??? :D imho I think body position and weight is a factor !

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Bermo KTM wrote:
Don wrote:
sexparty wrote:Right RPMs and it'll do it. Done it at 180kmph in 4th. I only weigh 70kg though.

Rider weight shouldn't be a deciding factor depending on body position, in fact weighing more would be a benefit if you sit back.

sorry mate but you contradicted yourself with that statement !! ie: weight isn't a factor but if you weigh more !!!
errr you said it isn't a factor and then said it is so which is it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,??? :D imho I think body position and weight is a factor !

Early morning pre-coffee talk, but you got the point :)

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:18 am

I understand the pre coffee bit lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fordon
Minimoto racer

Postby Fordon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:43 pm

How can some of you not say it doesn't wheelie by itself in 4th gear?
I made this video half a year ago, during the run-in. I used maybe 4/5 of the throttle and it just came up on flat roads. With a 17t sprocket. power wheelie, no clutch.

And this is with the full akrapovic system, still 17t sprocket front. However, now I used a clutch on 5th gear.

But around 9000-9500rpm it lift the front wheel up by itself in 5th gear. 17t sprocket.

And now when I've changed to 16t sprocket it's ridiculous :twisted:

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 am

Mine has only 350 miles, so I just now turned off the MTC and tried to see the power wheelies. With it on, it wasn't doing it more than a couple of inches in 2nd or 3rd, cracking the throttle. Or when it did come up high in 2nd, I could feel a drop in power.

WIth the MTC off and in 3rd gear, at 60 mph it came up high enough I stopped it. Nothing in 4th, starting at 4K, 5K, or 6K. It did take off like a scalded dog, just not one on its back legs.

I also had the traction control light come on cracking it in 2nd, where it didn't pop it up, even though it was turned off. Traction control I thought was to prevent wheel spin, and in 2nd it should wheelie before it spun the tyre. ABS was still on. I don't see where ABS should affect wheelies, or why would the MTC light would come on when it is turned off.

Where am I wrong, and do they really flash it at the first service to give more power?

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 am

harold wrote:Mine has only 350 miles, so I just now turned off the MTC and tried to see the power wheelies. With it on, it wasn't doing it more than a couple of inches in 2nd or 3rd, cracking the throttle. Or when it did come up high in 2nd, I could feel a drop in power.

WIth the MTC off and in 3rd gear, at 60 mph it came up high enough I stopped it. Nothing in 4th, starting at 4K, 5K, or 6K. It did take off like a scalded dog, just not one on its back legs.

I also had the traction control light come on cracking it in 2nd, where it didn't pop it up, even though it was turned off. Traction control I thought was to prevent wheel spin, and in 2nd it should wheelie before it spun the tyre. ABS was still on. I don't see where ABS should affect wheelies, or why would the MTC light would come on when it is turned off.

Where am I wrong, and do they really flash it at the first service to give more power?

"Where am I wrong"

I'll tell you where your wrong. :)

Trying to do a throttle wheelies at 4-5k. Your not even close to being in the power band of this motor It's like your short shifting trying to do wheelies. Get the rpm's up to 8-8.5k then Whack the throttle wide open. Make sure you cover the break when you do this in 1st through 3rd.
The 1290 is what the 990 was suppose to be.

I ride Ktm Motorcycles, yep :-)

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:22 am

harold wrote:Mine has only 350 miles, so I just now turned off the MTC and tried to see the power wheelies. With it on, it wasn't doing it more than a couple of inches in 2nd or 3rd, cracking the throttle. Or when it did come up high in 2nd, I could feel a drop in power.

What do you weigh? Have you had the sag adjusted for your weight? I ask because the stock spring is lightly sprung for 75-85kg (170-190lb). If you are in the 90kg+ (200lb+) range the rear will bog down and be harder to power wheelie.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 am

harold wrote:I also had the traction control light come on cracking it in 2nd, where it didn't pop it up, even though it was turned off. Traction control I thought was to prevent wheel spin, and in 2nd it should wheelie before it spun the tyre. ABS was still on. I don't see where ABS should affect wheelies, or why would the MTC light would come on when it is turned off.

The MTC light stays on if MTC is turned off. If it's flashing at you then MTC is still on.

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:21 pm

I weigh 220 suited up. Isn't the sag set by measuring the distance left of the threads? What should it be for my weight? The manual doesn't make any sense. It's hard to believe that only 2 mm is the difference between fully soft and fully loaded. How many turns of the nut does it take to make a 2 mm change?

My MTC light did not come on with it turned off, it just flashed at me when I whacked it in 2nd. Do I need to turn ABS off when I turn MTC off? If so, why are there two separate options?

Looking at the dyno charts, 8,500 is max torque, and trying to whack it there would leave very little RPM's left before redline. On my 88 ci Buell S1W, it worked best hitting it where the torque was still building. This bike has less torque than the Buell on a dyno chart, but feels about the same when riding it, until it starts the Hp increase over the Buell at around 5-6K. Then it would leave it behind. There is no comparison in braking or handling.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Does the menu screen say MTC off? Could be a difference between software versions, but normally a flashy TC light means it's still on. Second gear you should be able to lift the front wheel at almost any revs.

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:56 pm

You will have to forgive me, as I was wrong. What my bike does apparently is not keep MTC off at times after being set, which are few since I am still breaking it in and have only ridden it a few times. When it held the "off" settings for both MTC and ABS, the dash light for both are on constantly. If I had remembered that from the great owners manual, I would have known that it didn't take the "off" setting even though the screen said it did.

Today I noticed with ABS set at moto, it would flash the ABS light every 20 seconds or so. I think that is the flash I saw but thought it was MTC. Things were happening fast at that moment.

It seems to take twice to get it to turn the MTC off, even though I hold the button in until it says to release it. I have only done this a few times, but most of them it didn't change the setting to off on the display. I would do it again, and it changed to off. But the one time I was testing the difference the dash light wasn't lit, so I think it was still on.

Today when I set it off, the light was lit, and it came up in 3rd at anywhere from 60-75 mph KTM by just backing off and whacking it. Those were the only times I had a chance to test. Your results may vary.

There is no way that my bike appears able to power wheelie 4th, but now it doesn't bother me. If I can lift 3rd at 70, how fast would I have to do to be in the power band enough to lift 4th? Way over the posted speed limit, or what i want to go at my age. I will put a 16T sprocket on and be able to use 6th at legal speeds, and then maybe get the front to at least hover in 4th.

Fordon
Minimoto racer

Postby Fordon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:26 pm

harold wrote:You will have to forgive me, as I was wrong. What my bike does apparently is not keep MTC off at times after being set, which are few since I am still breaking it in and have only ridden it a few times. When it held the "off" settings for both MTC and ABS, the dash light for both are on constantly. If I had remembered that from the great owners manual, I would have known that it didn't take the "off" setting even though the screen said it did.

Today I noticed with ABS set at moto, it would flash the ABS light every 20 seconds or so. I think that is the flash I saw but thought it was MTC. Things were happening fast at that moment.

It seems to take twice to get it to turn the MTC off, even though I hold the button in until it says to release it. I have only done this a few times, but most of them it didn't change the setting to off on the display. I would do it again, and it changed to off. But the one time I was testing the difference the dash light wasn't lit, so I think it was still on.

Today when I set it off, the light was lit, and it came up in 3rd at anywhere from 60-75 mph KTM by just backing off and whacking it. Those were the only times I had a chance to test. Your results may vary.

There is no way that my bike appears able to power wheelie 4th, but now it doesn't bother me. If I can lift 3rd at 70, how fast would I have to do to be in the power band enough to lift 4th? Way over the posted speed limit, or what i want to go at my age. I will put a 16T sprocket on and be able to use 6th at legal speeds, and then maybe get the front to at least hover in 4th.

Just do not sit up at the tank, but towards the back support and twist the throttle with 100%. Not sloooooowly to 100%, but just give it a full go from around 6k rpm or so. You really can't fail.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:02 am

If you set it then start the bike it turns MTC back on again.
If you hold the button a bit too long it stays on.

Yes, it bugs me too, but I live with it!

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 pm

harold wrote:I weigh 220 suited up. Isn't the sag set by measuring the distance left of the threads? What should it be for my weight? The manual doesn't make any sense. It's hard to believe that only 2 mm is the difference between fully soft and fully loaded. How many turns of the nut does it take to make a 2 mm change?

My MTC light did not come on with it turned off, it just flashed at me when I whacked it in 2nd. Do I need to turn ABS off when I turn MTC off? If so, why are there two separate options?

Looking at the dyno charts, 8,500 is max torque, and trying to whack it there would leave very little RPM's left before redline. On my 88 ci Buell S1W, it worked best hitting it where the torque was still building. This bike has less torque than the Buell on a dyno chart, but feels about the same when riding it, until it starts the Hp increase over the Buell at around 5-6K. Then it would leave it behind. There is no comparison in braking or handling.

At 220lb you need to go up to a heavier spring. Extra pre-load on the standard spring will do little to nothing for your weight. Basically when you throttle on the energy being transferred to the wheel which in turn, through traction, should be levering the bike skyward in an arc (wheelie) is being soaked up by the spongy rear spring. You will notice this as the bike will 'bog' down as you accelerate momentarily.

Head to a suspension tuner and get them to sort out a new spring for you, or you can go to your dealer and ask them to order a new spring from WP which will be nearly twice the price of one from anywhere else and at 30% more labour cost.

The important spring measurements for them are 59 mm ID and 185 mm long.

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:30 am

Don wrote:
harold wrote:I weigh 220 suited up. Isn't the sag set by measuring the distance left of the threads? What should it be for my weight? The manual doesn't make any sense. It's hard to believe that only 2 mm is the difference between fully soft and fully loaded. How many turns of the nut does it take to make a 2 mm change?

At 220lb you need to go up to a heavier spring. Extra pre-load on the standard spring will do little to nothing for your weight. Basically when you throttle on the energy being transferred to the wheel which in turn, through traction, should be levering the bike skyward in an arc (wheelie) is being soaked up by the spongy rear spring. You will notice this as the bike will 'bog' down as you accelerate momentarily.

Head to a suspension tuner and get them to sort out a new spring for you, or you can go to your dealer and ask them to order a new spring from WP which will be nearly twice the price of one from anywhere else and at 30% more labour cost.

Strangely for some unknown reason there springs are competively priced. Front $120 rear $120.

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 am

robertkehl wrote:
Don wrote:

Strangely for some unknown reason there springs are competively priced. Front $120 rear $120.

Sadly not in Australia :(

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 am

Don wrote:

I incorrectly assumed you would have been used to it by now....
Thanks to the internet there is a solution :wink:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:24 pm

ktmguy wrote:
Don wrote:

I have the measurements of the rear spring at 59mm ID but have no measurements of the front springs. I'm sourcing a rear spring from Racetech, I would do the same for the fronts if I knew what the springs were.

robertkehl
Stunt rider

Postby robertkehl » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:48 pm

Don wrote:
ktmguy wrote:
Don wrote:

I have the measurements of the rear spring at 59mm ID but have no measurements of the front springs. I'm sourcing a rear spring from Racetech, I would do the same for the fronts if I knew what the springs were.

These are the next stiffer WP fork springs 380.250.100. You'll have to figure the numbers out though.

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:02 am

robertkehl wrote:
Don wrote:

These are the next stiffer WP fork springs 380.250.100. You'll have to figure the numbers out though.

No idea what that means lol

austrian_dude
Minimoto racer

Postby austrian_dude » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 am

pigpenracing wrote:Whats up guys?
I just turned 550 miles yesterday on my new 1290. I am trying to figure out all the talk about 4th gear power wheelies on this bike. I have ridden almost everything and this is the easiest bike to wheelie on. I ride wheelies every time I take off. My riding is mostly in sport mode with traction control turned off. My bike will stand straight up in second gear when I twist the throttle. I can shift to 3rd and 4th and keep it up. Now if I am riding in 3rd and twist the throttle it may do a little wheelie but nothing like second. 4th gear roll on wheelie???? NO WAY. There is no possible way my bike will do a wheelie in 4th by just twisting the throttle. So where is all this talk coming from that these bikes do insane 4th gear power wheelies? Just curious... I could see it with it geared down but no way stock. Am I missing something? Do you guys see the same as me on your bikes?
I am really impressed by the bike and it is my all time favorite.

pigpenracing did you ever manage to make it work ?

I got the same problem as i can't get that bugger up onto the bag wheel. I have a 2016 and have done my first 1k service.
Took it for a couple of spins trying to get it to wheelie with MTC off and ABS on Road.
I have been told ABS does not affect the Wheelie but i might try to change that maybe as well.
In 2nd gear i hit the rev limiter full throttle knees tight and the wheel gets light but no lift. I heard it even lifts with MTC on up to a food off the ground before kicking in.

Anyone any ideas ?

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:51 pm

do you live at high altitude?

austrian_dude
Minimoto racer

Postby austrian_dude » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:49 am

mrossk wrote:do you live at high altitude?

No i live near Sydney so nearly sea level.

cloonster
Two wheeled terror

Postby cloonster » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:57 pm

Hey folks,

It’s been a while , finally got my hands on a 17 SDR.

Just been reading through this thread, question I have is how to check which map I have?

I went for the full titanium akra setup straight off the bat.

From the diagnosis report I asked for at purchase I assume I’m looking at the

CentralEngine Electronics (KHR4-V5) section.

The map in that section is KM616EU18I0531.

Any guidance on whether that is the akra map?
SA - RM80, CR125, CR250, KX250, KTM 390, CRF450X ---- UK -CRF450x, KTM duke 690 R ( 1month) , SD 2010, ktm 505 sxf, SDR 1290

Previous

Return to Hooliganism