Touring the 1290

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Re: Touring the 1290

Postby Bermo KTM » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:43 am

i'm getting the full system fitted this week I hope it's not that close :D anyway safe riding mate

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:02 am

im using R&R bracket and mine is close too more like 15mm and no issues

by the way when I go touring small bag is plenty since I buy pack of 10 Jocks and just chuck tem out as I use them and same goes for the socks :D
thank god for K-MART and $1 Jocks

You can save even more space if you turn your undies inside out that way you can wear them twice :shock:

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:39 pm

touring in Aus , bloody hell , by the time we get to Geneva from the uk you are just getting into the next town :)

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Bermo KTM wrote:i'm getting the full system fitted this week I hope it's not that close :D anyway safe riding mate

If I bugger about with it I can get it further away - had the zorst off recently to remove the baffle and just put it back but again it's been fine and doesn't touch - precision engineering fella!!!

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:10 am

I couldn't have it that close it would drive me mad , but each to their own , oh precision engineering hahahaha nice one

Warrend
Minimoto racer

Postby Warrend » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:31 pm

Many thanks for the post, my son is trying to convince me to do a trip with him from Melbourne to Cape york
The flying back ( putting bikes on motorcycle transport for trip home)

He is going to buy a Kawasaki KLR 650, and I will take my SD1290, which I think should be more than suitable.
Planning on taking 8 or 9 days to get there

The only negative I note from the post is that the seat can be a bit uncomfortable on long journeys
So possibly changing the seat over to the race parts ergo seat may be a thought!,
Also not sure if I should add a screen, although many talk about buffeting which can be annoying.

I think I will go with the large KTM rear bag

Did you have any mechanical issues on your trip?

Thanks again for the post

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:21 pm

This thread on advrider is worth a read for anyone touring on the SD1290.

lc4
Stunt rider

Postby lc4 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:25 am

Warrend wrote:Many thanks for the post, my son is trying to convince me to do a trip with him from Melbourne to Cape york

He is going to buy a Kawasaki KLR 650, and I will take my SD1290, which I think should be more than suitable.

The only negative I note from the post is that the seat can be a bit uncomfortable on long journeys
So possibly changing the seat over to the race parts ergo seat may be a thought!,
Also not sure if I should add a screen, although many talk about buffeting which can be annoying.

Cape York on a 1290 SD :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mongrel
Minimoto racer

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:16 am

Mongrel wrote:
Scott2ride wrote:Hey Mongrel

My first post... just bought a 1290r and she arrives in a week.

I like your topbox setup with the Hepco Becker Sportsrack.

Which topbox is that? The Journey TC40 ?

I'm after the Journey TC52 or the Junior TC55. However Hepco Becker in Oz wont reply to my questions about fitment to the sportsrack. So maybe you can help?

Do we need to by an extra fitting of some kind to add to the top of the sportrack so that a topbox can attach to it?

If so, which ones do we buy that fit the sportsrack for the 1290?

Do you have any photos of the sportsrack without the topbox on so I could see the fitting?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Scott

Hi Scott
Firstly, congratulations on the 1290! It is an amazing machine that will blow your mind.
I'm on holidays in NZ at the moment so I can't go & look at my touring gear but from memory it is the Journey 40. It comes with a mounting plate that bolts directly to the sports rack.
When I get home in a couple of weeks I can post some photos of the sports rack & plate

Cheers
John

Here you go Scott, photos of the H&B sports rack & mounting plate for the Journey TC40

Bolts straight onto sports rack using existing holes, no drilling required

Expanding foam tape that seals underneath sports rack looks a bit dinky but works ok

gggsxr11
Minimoto racer

Postby gggsxr11 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:47 pm

I have done Brisbane to Phillip Island and you need the power parts seat,also used the large ktm tail bag and i reckon you need it too.
Have not tried a screen but you sit in the bike and if you need chest protection maybe you will like a tank bag but i don't.
I also used soft saddlebags and they worked for me.The bike is remarkably versatile and fuel economy is great.

Scott2ride
Minimoto racer

Postby Scott2ride » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 am

[/quote]
Here you go Scott, photos of the H&B sports rack & mounting plate for the Journey TC40
Bolts straight onto sports rack using existing holes, no drilling required
[/quote]

Thanks Mongrel

Much appreciated for putting up the photos.

Well they didn't have "Looking Pretty" as part of the design brief did they! HAHA

I'm going to get the Sportsrack, but instead of that mounting plate for the TC40 I think I will get the Alu rack. Or maybe even the Givi accessory bits, they seem very clean. Then get a GIVI 52L bag

Scott2ride
Minimoto racer

Postby Scott2ride » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:35 am

Hey Grommet... how did you flatten down the lip at the rear of the sports rack so evenly & nicely?

grommet wrote:You can get a Givi Monokey mount kit and add it to the H & B sportrack. I got one from Altrider. The
Link: http://www.altrider.com/givi-monokey-to ... ck/pid/487

Only caution is that the template that came with the mount kit from Altrider is not correct. I measured my Givi topcase and another Givi rack I have to get accurate dimensions for the mounting hardware.

ps: I also flattened the rear lip of the sportrack. My V46 topcase would be too far forward otherwise.

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:35 pm

My bench vise, with a rag made from a recycled bath towel to protect the finish from the vise jaws. Little at a time, and moving it from side to side to make sure it was even.

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 am

Warrend - I read a review last year comparing the two seats and overwhelmingly the review indicated that you should stay with the oem seat vs the ergo. For me the oem seat is the most comfortable stock seat I've ever ridden on. I know everyone is different.

I am 76 years old and use the 1290 as my touring bike - have taken a number of week long trips since I got the bike two years ago using only a tail bag. Actually I use a tank bag from my 990 Duke turned around - - Over the years I've moved from tank bags, tail bags, hard bags etc to seeing how little I can take on a trip - if you have a credit card and a cell phone and wear a textile jacket and pants you've got rain gear. I take along a pair or jeans a couple pairs of underwear socks t shirts a sweater and my meds and I'm off. I figure I can buy anything I'll need ( which I haven't had to do). On the other hand I have a buddy with a giant dual sport and hell he has hard bags tank bag a giant tail bag and more. It takes him 20 minutes longer than my buddy to get ready to take off in the morning - less is definitely more.

Warrend wrote:Many thanks for the post, my son is trying to convince me to do a trip with him from Melbourne to Cape york

08 Superduke orange (totaled, deer strike)
14 Superduke R black

When you’re in jail good friends will come and bail you out.
Your BEST friends will be in the cell next to you saying,
“Damn, wasn’t that fun.”!

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:29 am

2600 mile trip. 3 riding days. Day 1 from Albuquerque to Tucson:

Near Alpine, AZ:

Day 2 will be this Friday, Tucson to Provo. Plan for 850 miles.

Day 3 will be the following Sunday, Provo to Wichita. 1000+ miles.

Updates on days 2 and 3 to follow.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:34 pm

I know some of those roads (have lived in NM for 25 years). Ambitious and impressive mileage, 600 days are about my limit! Enjoy and be safe.

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm

Passing over a double yellow?!?!
My god, what a scoflaw.
I'm reporting you to, er, someone...
In the meantime, nice to see some miles getting piled on the 1290.
2014 1290 85K miles

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:00 pm

Gold, black, and orange... interesting color combo.
Crash

2014 SDR

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:18 am

NM has some awesome roads. Regular destination for me.

The yellow lines are only there to inform the less astute motorists when it's definitely safe to pass.

The gold wheels were there when I bought it. Did you miss the gold seat it came with? It was brilliant. I have a WTB thread in the classifieds with photos of how it was when I got it. A thing to behold.

T minus 6 hours to liftoff on the 2nd day of riding.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Hope it's going well! When you get a chance, I'm interested in your set-up. Windscreen and mirrors in particular. Thanks, Michael

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 am

So it ended up as an 1850 mile trip. Still 3 days. No incidents or performance awards along the way. I opted out of the 1070 mile ride I had planned, instead taking a different route for a 470 mile day, without the 550 miles of flatland between the front range in Colorado and Wichita. Also, near the end of day 2, my hi-beam headlight went out, and I didn't realise it was as simple as going to Walmart and getting a replacement and popping it in. Should have checked that all out ahead of time. Naturally I overthought it and feared something was wrong with the control system, instead of the simple and obvious case of a blown filament. The 4-5 hours of riding I'd have to do for the 1000 mile trip would have been sketchy and dangerous on only a low beam light. I've since replaced the bulb, which turns out to be very easy :)

By the way, there is information on my windscreen here. Pics and everything.

As for the mirrors, I got these from ebay. The ones that were on my bike when I got it were almost useless, and the stock mirrors were gone. I wish the ones I have now were a bit farther out, but they are pretty decent with vibration and have a good image. Nice blue tint glass, and they can be installed so that they fold in toward the back of the bike if needed. I'll probably keep looking for others till I find the perfect set. Not there yet.

Anyway, here are videos of days 2 and 3:

Tucson, AZ to Provo, UT:

Provo, UT, to Ft Collins, CO:

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:37 pm

Thanks for the info. Glad it went well. I'm looking forward to my first tour:)

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Thu May 24, 2018 6:30 am

The gold bike rolls on.

Just finished a 2150 mile trip to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff, Arizona. Of course I took the most scenic route possible - Wichita to Cimarron, NM, through Cimarron and Taos Canyons with an overnight near Angel Fire, NM, down the Taos High Road to Santa Fe, slabbed out to 117 off I-40, through Quemado, Springerville, Show Low, the Salt River Canyon, Globe, Lake Roosevelt, through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon to finish up in Flagstaff.

On the way home, from Flagstaff through Four Corners to overnight just north of Durango, then up 550 through Silverton and Ouray to Montrose, east on US50 through Gunnison, over Monarch Pass, continuing east on US50 through Salida and then back across the flatland to Wichita.

The pics above are from eastern New Mexico, Roosevelt Lake, AZ, and western Kansas.

Two weeks before that I did 3 days in NW Arkansas twisties. All the good stuff. 123, 125, 341 . . .

A week before that, went to my daughter's graduation in Utah. An East to West pass of US50, then 62 west to 145 and 141. 141: think 40 miles of Monument Valley, on both sides of the road.

In March I did a few days at the Tail of the Dragon. My first trip there - first run on the Dragon was around 41°. Still wore the tyres all the way to the edges.

July 2017 I did a trip to Arizona for my 30 year high school reunion. Some video here:

28,600 miles on the SDR now. It's running great, no issues. I'm in the process of making racks to fit Givi V35 side cases. I'll post up more here when they are done.

ps I have a trip to Alaska planned for July. Trailering to Cody, WY, then 2400 miles to Haines, and back. My sister lives in Haines, and we need to visit. Mrs grommet and my son will drive the support vehicle, I'll ride. Plan is to take the Cassiar Highway both ways. Or maybe Cassiar going north and the Alcan back down. Not sure yet.

:)

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 pm

great big trip, well done. I've travelled some of that area myself from Santa Fe, though not so much recently b/c of work. Any problems with the fires in Arizona? What tyres do you run?

grommet
Minimoto racer

Postby grommet » Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm

It was dry in AZ but no fires. They had bans on open fires and charcoal in all the campgrounds. Table-top stoves only.

tyres: I have run several different flavors. T30s, RS10s at the track, S21s, Q3s at the Dragon, Michelin PowerSports in Arkansas. I've kind of settled on a full sport tyre on the front as I use my brakes less and less. Currently have 4000 miles on a free PowerSport trackday take-off I got from a friend. Since I put it on I've been through the PowerSport rear and 1 1/2 S21 rears. Rear tyre life has a lot more to do with how I use the throttle than anything. I trashed an S21 in 1400 miles of twisty riding by flogging it out of almost every corner. But I can run almost anything and be fine with it. Ran T30s front and rear last fall in Arkansas and didn't have any slip at all at my normal spirited pace.

Thinking of darksiding for the trip to Alaska . . . :twisted:

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism