Superduke 1290R Essential Mods

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
tripoddave
Wheelie king

Superduke 1290R Essential Mods

Postby tripoddave » Thu May 21, 2015 9:12 am

Sorry if this has been done before but I couldn't find a thread.

What are everyone's top / essential mods for the 1290R?
I pick mine up on Saturday and have decided to do nothing to it before I've run it in, however I have already bought an Austin Racing GP1R low level can and link pipe/de cat.

I'm assuming that the SAS have to go but are there orange anodised blanking plates?
I like the powerparts adjustable levers
On the 990s the airbox and exhaust were essential mods. Is that still the case?should one simply cut out the 'windows' above the air intakes, fit a bit of metal gauze and have done, or cut a panel out of the top of the airbox and fit a K&N like I did on one of my SDs or go for a Rottweiler? Thoughts?
Are screens a must have?
Has anyone fitted hand guards and or heated grips?

What are your thoughts?
fbsr: Sticky Side Down
PIN IT. NAIL IT. BRAKE! BRAKE! SQUEEZE EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

bic_bicknell

Re: Superduke 1290R Essential Mods

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu May 21, 2015 9:32 am

I think you'll find that the top mod that most people do is fit rim tape. :D
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

tango2
Two wheeled terror

Postby tango2 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:53 am

I've fitted the Akro system and SAS blanking plates and what an improvement it makes ! I've also fitted a Power Commander and QS. Not had a chance to get it mapped yet. Can't see how I can get much improvement but will give it a go when I get some tine. Toyed with the idea of an airbox mod but honestly find it so good now that I'm not sure I'll go down that route. I've got the PP levers. They're nice if a touch blingy. I've the heated grips for those balmy Scottish evenings. :D

Leonidas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leonidas » Thu May 21, 2015 10:03 am

IMO there are no "must do" mods on the 1290, apart from the exhaust
It really depends on the way you ride the bike.

First up in my list though, now that i ve got the akra, are rearsets and a tail tidy. Then a steering damper, as the stock one is pretty useless

Once i am done with the above, a set of tripples, wheels and some WP competition line suspensions and we are ready :twisted:
Last edited by Leonidas on Thu May 21, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Duc and a Duke --> Blessed :mrgreen:
Still miss my 990 SDR...

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Thu May 21, 2015 10:48 am

As above the exhaust is the main mod, I have the Akrapovic silencer with Bodis link pipe (no cat.) SAS removed and Akrapovic map uploaded. But my personal must do would be setting the suspension to the KTM “Sport” settings, that suited my riding style perfect.

I have the KTM heated grips and they work well, you don’t need a screen (or rim tape).

driftkr6l
Minimoto racer

Postby driftkr6l » Fri May 22, 2015 4:04 am

Bodis de-cat
Remove db-killer from stock muffler
Remove SAS and evap canister
Then either deal with a dealer to upload the Akra map or buy PCV.
2014 Superduke 1290R
-Bodis De-Cat pipe
-Evotech Frame Sliders
-TechSpec Tank Grip Pads
-PowerCommander 5
-Autotune AT-300
-K&N filter
-Rottweiler SAS and Canister removal kit
-ASV C5 levers

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Fri May 22, 2015 7:19 am

When fitting the Bodis Decat with Akrapovic Slip on is it best to have the Akrapovic map installed or use a Power Commander?
I have read posts where some have done both or even added other electronic gizmo's and that they run lean without the Akrapovic map installed but despite the search button being my friend I am still left feeling a little unsure.
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Fri May 22, 2015 7:37 am

HYPERMOTO wrote:When fitting the Bodis Decat with Akrapovic Slip on is it best to have the Akrapovic map installed or use a Power Commander?

As I mention above I have the Bodis decat and Akrapovic slip-on with the Akra. map installed (+ SAS removal) and have had no problems. It may not be related but at my 9000 service/valve check none of the valve clearances needed adjusting (I was told it’s the first 1290 my dealer has not had to make any adjustment) so the engine looks like it likes the set-up.

cheeheese
Two wheeled terror

Postby cheeheese » Fri May 22, 2015 8:21 am

HYPERMOTO wrote:When fitting the Bodis Decat with Akrapovic Slip on is it best to have the Akrapovic map installed or use a Power Commander?

Are you planning on doing track days with this setup? Would love to know the noise levels this produces.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 am

I have read posts where some have done both or even added other electronic gizmo's and that they run lean without the Akrapovic map installed but despite the search button being my friend I am still left feeling a little unsure.

If you change things like the exhaust and-or the air filter the akra map is the way to go!
The best way is the akra map and a PCV as the akra map is a bit rich where it shouldn't be and could be a bit richer at the top.

My fav mod is the mirrors! A must and the bike looks so much better.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Fri May 22, 2015 9:52 am

ktmguy wrote:My fav mod is the mirrors! A must and the bike looks so much better.

I think you had better get better visability forward from some of your posts mate , unless you want better mirrors to see the carnage behind you :D anyway my first mod was a tailtidy , then can , I have the decat but am waiting to get the akro map installed :D

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Fri May 22, 2015 10:31 am

ktmguy wrote:My fav mod is the mirrors! A must and the bike looks so much better.

+1 - but it's not "Essential"

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Fri May 22, 2015 10:33 am

Bermo KTM wrote:my first mod was a tailtidy

+1 - but it's not "Essential"

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Fri May 22, 2015 11:19 am

cheeheese wrote:

Are you planning on doing track days with this setup? Would love to know the noise levels this produces.

I have done 2 track days on the bike so far but I had the Cat in place.
Rather than just turn up with the Bodis fitted I took the bike in for noise testing at Cadwell park with it on and it gave a reading of 111db.
They said that was way over their limit of 105db so I had to refit the Cat for the track days.

I currently have a BMW S1000RR silencer fitted with the standard Cat and it reads 101db static at 5000rpm.

My list of essential mods in the order I fitted them is:

1 - Tail tidy (made my own).
2 - Remove db killer tube from standard silencer.
3 - Shorty levers.
4 - Race screen (made my own).
5 - Modified silencer from BMW S1000RR.

Next on the to do list is:

6 - Refit the Bodis Decat.
7 - Fit Akrapovic silencer.
8 - Fit K&N Filter.
9 - Akra remap/ PCV (or both?).
10 - Paint wheels orange.
11 - Fit new tyres (Pirelli??).
12 - Fit pillion seat cover.
13 - Apply "READY FOR THIS" Decals :wink:

If the SAS removal is just to prevent popping on over run then I am not too bothered about that mod.

I guess the only way to set it up correctly is on a Dyno with it all of the above fitted including PCV.
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm

tango2 wrote:Toyed with the idea of an airbox mod but honestly find it so good now that I'm not sure I'll go down that route.

I fitted a rottweiler filter recently - it makes a fair difference again. Not quite as much as std exhaust to Akra system, but there's definitely an improvement from the butt dyno.

If you fancy trying to arrange a shared mapping session with Chappie up in the Black Isle I'd be interested - might be able to save a couple of quid. (Scotsmen, tight? Never!)

tripoddave
Wheelie king

Postby tripoddave » Fri May 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks for the comments so far!

I picked up my SD today so have started the running in process. I don't think I've owned a road bike that so wanted to wheelie whilst running in before!
I have the bike booked in for a fortnight on Monday for first service where they will:
Remove the CAT and fit the Austin racing exhaust and link pipe,
Remove the SAS and condenser
fit the powerparts adjustable length levers
fit the tail tidy

I will modify the airbox myself I think by cutting out the two 'windows' above the air intakes and fitting a K&N panel filter to the top of the airbox.
This is a mod that will cost about £40 as opposed to the $400 plus shipping plus import duty for the Rottweiler which will make me feel good enough about myself to buy a Power Commander and get the whole thing set-up on the dyno.
fbsr: Sticky Side Down
PIN IT. NAIL IT. BRAKE! BRAKE! SQUEEZE EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

tango2
Two wheeled terror

Postby tango2 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:07 pm

DMacL wrote:
tango2 wrote:Toyed with the idea of an airbox mod but honestly find it so good now that I'm not sure I'll go down that route.

I fitted a rottweiler filter recently - it makes a fair difference again. Not quite as much as std exhaust to Akra system, but there's definitely an improvement from the butt dyno.

If you fancy trying to arrange a shared mapping session with Chappie up in the Black Isle I'd be interested - might be able to save a couple of quid. (Scotsmen, tight? Never!)

PM sent

Great_Story_Bro
Minimoto racer

Postby Great_Story_Bro » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Small bump. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row for my future install of "essentials"; GP1 decat, K&N filter, SAS removal, Evap can removal.

I know the SAS requires a resistor be put in-line to keep the idiot light off. From looking at the fiche, it appears the evap can valve has a harness plug as well. I wanted to ask, does it also trigger the idiot light? And if so, what resistance value resistor needs to be used?

Edit: Short answer, yes. I know this because I searched. Derp.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 pm

Great_Story_Bro wrote:Small bump. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row for my future install of "essentials"; GP1 decat, K&N filter, SAS removal, Evap can removal.

I know the SAS requires a resistor be put in-line to keep the idiot light off. From looking at the fiche, it appears the evap can valve has a harness plug as well. I wanted to ask, does it also trigger the idiot light? And if so, what resistance value resistor needs to be used?

Edit: Short answer, yes. I know this because I searched. Derp.

1K ohm, 1/4 watt resitor worked fine on the 990....should be the same for the 1290.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:15 pm

22K I just fitted one and it works fine.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:29 am

ktmguy wrote:22K I just fitted one and it works fine.

+1

Pamuk
Minimoto racer

Postby Pamuk » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Get rid of the cat (Graves exhaust did that nicely)
Heated grips (Canada has a few cold days in a year)
Tail Tidy (made my own)
Akro map flashed (dealer handled this and cost about $140)
Rottweiler SAS removal is on order, but I will be sad if it gets rid of all the popping.

Might need to buy some shares in a tyre company, torque torque torque = short tyre life lol!!

2004 625 SMC
2010 990 SM-T (Sold)
2014 300 XC-W
2015 Super Duke R

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 am

Rear-sets
GP shift
PP seat (more peg to ass clearance)
shorty levers.

(I have the evotech tailtidy and solo cover as well, but that was because I got a screaming deal on them)

For me anyway, Rotti and Akra are next on the plate, then I'll work on pretty stuff.

Punisher
Minimoto racer

Postby Punisher » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:08 pm

Austin racing full titanium system with GP1r can, Sas, Rottweiler air box and velocity stacks, PCV, power parts triple clamps, PP seat, eco tech tail tidy, carbon everything, next to come is PVM 11 spoke forged wheels also developing a carbon tank and monocoque tail section currently 50% finished replica prototype belly pan in carbon

PEZ
Minimoto racer

Postby PEZ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Punisher wrote:Austin racing full titanium system with GP1r can, Sas, Rottweiler air box and velocity stacks, PCV, power parts triple clamps, PP seat, eco tech tail tidy, carbon everything, next to come is PVM 11 spoke forged wheels also developing a carbon tank and monocoque tail section currently 50% finished replica prototype belly pan in carbon

Your bike sounds awesome, got any pics?
2015 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
- Full Akrapovic exhaust
- Yoshimura Fender Eliminator
- Evotech Performance radiator guard
- TechSpec Snake Skin Tank Pads
- KTM Power Parts seat
- More to come!

Next

Return to Hooliganism