2016 Superduck 1290 GT

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Aphex
Site Admin

2016 Superduck 1290 GT

Postby Aphex » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-finally-revealed/

The fook is going on with the nose? It's like they took a 990 SMT front end and said how can we make this worse?
The 6.5 gallons of fuel capacity is really nice though.
Pics for the lazy:

Last edited by Aphex on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Re: 2016 Superduck 1290 GT

Postby murphc13 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:30 pm

I like it....as far as looks for a SMT go

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:29 pm

Aphex wrote:http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-finally-revealed/

The fook is going on with the nose? It's like the took they 990 SMT front end and said how can we make this worse?

LOL - so fugly - makes both the Multistrada and OG V4R Tuono look good. QUACK-QUACK

Doesn't matter - not buying one, ever.

Seems to me, that in the road-going department at KTM, that the ideal balance of the irrational and rational of the 990 SD/SDR are never to be seen again. TC prevents 1290 users from putting down all the power available, so what's the point of it? What, maybe 10 people registered on this site would even be willing to try put it all down on a track. And what they do put down has to be perfectly smooth and "nice". KTM's alternatives are expensive, maintenance intensive, anemic singles and soon parallel twins - seriously, from a company that took on Duc at it's own game?

Joe Biker
Stunt rider

Postby Joe Biker » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:45 pm

got a lil throw up in my mouth

fugly is a understatement !!!!!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 pm

SDNerd wrote:
Aphex wrote:http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-finally-revealed/

The fook is going on with the nose? It's like the took they 990 SMT front end and said how can we make this worse?

LOL - so fugly - makes both the Multistrada and OG V4R Tuono look good. QUACK-QUACK

Doesn't matter - not buying one, ever.

Seems to me, that in the road-going department at KTM, that the ideal balance of the irrational and rational of the 990 SD/SDR are never to be seen again. TC prevents 1290 users from putting down all the power available, so what's the point of it? What, maybe 10 people registered on this site would even be willing to try put it all down on a track. And what they do put down has to be perfectly smooth and "nice". KTM's alternatives are expensive, maintenance intensive, anemic singles and soon parallel twins - seriously, from a company that took on Duc at it's own game?

Joe Biker wrote:got a lil throw up in my mouth

fugly is a understatement !!!!!

+1 On both!!

When marketing takes over from enthusiastic engineers..... :evil:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

GJB
Minimoto racer

Postby GJB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:58 am

I wonder if the larger tank will be interchangeable?

GJB
Minimoto racer

Postby GJB » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:39 am

I wonder if the larger tank will be interchangeable?

cdlabate
Trackday hero

Postby cdlabate » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:23 am

Just needs a different headlight setup.
:wink:

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:48 pm

I got invited to be involved in a small consumer rating/review (5 people) of this bike here in LA about 8-9 months ago (photos and discussion only)....was sworn to secrecy but now the cat is out of the bag. Couple of designers came over from Europe for the effort, one from Kiska and the other from KTM.

To be honest, the final product looks much better than the cammo version seen in these teaser photos. The painted versions do look pretty slick but it still has that monster shark mouth on it though. The one thing I suggested they consider revising (well, that and the ridiculous SS swingarm).

If AC's review is accurate, this could be THE do it all road bike.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:23 pm

I agree!!Remember the camo 1290SDR??Wasnt great was it....KTM do nice looking machines....have some faith:)

Pamuk
Minimoto racer

Postby Pamuk » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:47 am

Of course it doesn't look as good as the SDR. It's a "do it all" bike. Anyone remember the SMT? That bike was the same, one of the best bikes to own as far as usability, but definitely not the best looking. And honestly, there aren't many bikes out there that come close to looking as good as the SDR1290.

This GT is not going to be bought by current SDR owners, but hopefully it gets more people buying KTMs so they can keep developing big horsepower V-twins.

I for one will keep traction control off, and take the wind in the face. :D
2004 625 SMC
2010 990 SM-T (Sold)
2014 300 XC-W
2015 Super Duke R

omky756
Wheelie king

Postby omky756 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:29 am

My opinion..
What a fookn joke..!!
Definitely isn't a good direction.. Already have the market
with duel sport top dog..
The injuns are going backwards..
The need to perfect their Superduke..
I hesitate knowing I can buy a v4 of better
quality and less p.i.t.a.fix to make it right..
My opinion..
KTM DID GOOD.. BUT NOT BETTER.!!!
= 1290cc. 163h.p.
Aprilia Tuono 1100cc 175h.p.
Better electronics..
Quick shifter standard..
Switch modes on the fly...

Anyone ride a new 1100 Tuono.???
Let alone.. the new rsv4...??
201h.p.

8)

Out the door cheaper too..
Except the rsv4rf

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:19 pm

murphc13 wrote:I agree!!Remember the camo 1290SDR??Wasnt great was it....KTM do nice looking machines....have some faith:)

uh, the camo doesnt hide that freakin ugly beak, the SD never had that. what the hell??? its still gonna be there with a normal paint sceme too!

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:53 pm

The biggest kick in the dick for all 1290 SDR owners:

"It also gets a standard quickshifter."

"Oh, and more power and torque too. KTM aren’t saying exactly what power it’s producing yet but we reckon on more than 180bhp."

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/october/ktm-1290-super-duke-gt-prototype-tested/

So I wonder what they did differently to make it work on this bike.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Quickshifter - NBD - they sourced the sensor, etc. from a 3rd party, and integrated into the ECM. Will no doubt show up as a $650 accessory (+$250 stealer re-flash) for the SDR. Probably fuel-cut based ... LOL - will be a "standard" item on the 2016-2017 SDR.

BFD

More power: Bullshit. Moto rag/marketing hype. 150 RWHP. There are only 2 ways to increase power without change in displacement: increase compression and/or let the engine spin faster. Either of these have other considerations/ramifications; I can't see KTM successfully rolling out a variable valve timing/lift system any time soon to keep the broad power band (part of the reason they puffed the displacement to 'busa territory), while making more power.

QUACK-QUACK

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:20 pm

SDNerd wrote:Quickshifter - NBD - they sourced the sensor, etc. from a 3rd party, and integrated into the ECM. Will no doubt show up as a $650 accessory (+$250 stealer re-flash) for the SDR. Probably fuel-cut based ... LOL - will be a "standard" item on the 2016-2017 SDR.

BFD

More power: Bullshit. Moto rag/marketing hype. 150 RWHP. There are only 2 ways to increase power without change in displacement: increase compression and/or let the engine spin faster. Either of these have other considerations/ramifications; I can't see KTM successfully rolling out a variable valve timing/lift system any time soon to keep the broad power band (part of the reason they puffed the displacement to 'busa territory), while making more power.

QUACK-QUACK

I agree on both counts and I think the journos are blowing smoke about the increase in power. The new zx10r has THREE 1-2-3 catalytic converters to meet the new euro 4 emissions, while re-designing the entire engine, airbox and intact tracks to still make the bike produce 180-200hp.

So I find it hard to believe KTM was able to do that with the same lump that makes 180 at the crank and 155-160 at the wheel.

Me so Hoony.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:15 am

Journos typically type what they are told....rarely do they make stuff up. They may get stuff wrong though I doubt they stuffed this up. KTM told them....including Alan Cathcart.....that the new bike makes more power than the SDR.

By most accounts (read dyno runs) the SDR puts 150-152ish to the rear.

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:46 am

who gives a fook , if you don't like it . don't buy one easy as that . couldn't give a toss what all you doubting thomas' say it will be a fook of a bike stop dissing the brand you all have if so fook off to the ducati " will it won't it start " forum :D

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:01 am

Bermo KTM wrote:who gives a fook , if you don't like it . don't buy one easy as that . couldn't give a toss what all you doubting thomas' say it will be a fook of a bike stop dissing the brand you all have if so fook off to the ducati " will it won't it start " forum :D

AGREED^^^

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Hail Corporate.

Just because I own a KTM doesn't mean I have to like everything they put out.

The bike is ugly as fook, get over it. :P

Me so Hoony.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:34 pm

Aphex wrote:Hail Corporate.

Just because I own a KTM doesn't mean I have to like everything they put out.

The bike is ugly as fook, get over it. :P

+1

Seriously, I wonder if these folks go to a restaurant, and if someone they're with doesn't like something on the menu - and remarks on it (with the intent of perhaps benefiting all) - are then told to fook off and not buy the item. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love forum fascists. who always want others to suppress their viewpoints, because it's not parallel to their own. Oh, and thanks for the advice - already stated, I won't be buying one.

I'm not calling into question that moto-journos don't just echo what they've been told, but most of us here know from long experience the bullshit they are fed by manufacturers - and the Europeans mfgrs. are the worst in this regard. It's like they haven't figured out that 2 minutes after a new bike is on the street, someone is going to put it on scales and a dyno. The Japanese at least get it: They don't generally publish HP figures, and these days provide accurate curb weights. FWIW, I am not a fan of that journo-whore Cathcart, who isn't critical enough about any motorbike - no matter how flawed. His lack of integrity in this regard, all for the sake of what in his case, is preservation of an enviable lifestyle. So, I take whatever he bashes out in the 50+ rags he supposedly provides his fresh marshmallow-soft content for, for what it's worth - ad copy disguised as "journalism".

The only things I can say for certain about this bike is that it will be expensive to own and operate, and that it will be flawed.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:15 pm

I don't think anyone is trying to suppress anyone elses views....

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 pm

The model name shouldn't be or have any reference to SUPER DUKE or DUKE...........that's a SMT or SMR or touring bike and NOT A SUPER DUKE!....KTM leave the SUPER DUKE and DUKE alone...I read where KTM said in one article "......we saw our customers were doing the same with their 1290 Super Dukes which confirmed we doing the right thing" REALLY???? Let me do a search again on here and count the number of members that have or want to mod their Super Duke 1290's or 990's to look or be like that.............those members are over on Advrider if I'm not mistaken. READY TO RACE or is that becoming READY TO TOUR, That ain't no Super Duke..........that's a bigger Spy vs. Spy bike again......and it was called the SMR. KTM keep the Super Duke PURE PLEASE.

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:32 am

SDNerd wrote:I love forum fascists. who always want others to suppress their viewpoints, because it's not parallel to their own. Oh, and thanks for the advice - already stated, I won't be buying one.

I'm not calling into question that moto-journos don't just echo what they've been told, but most of us here know from long experience the bullshit they are fed by manufacturers - and the Europeans mfgrs. are the worst in this regard. It's like they haven't figured out that 2 minutes after a new bike is on the street, someone is going to put it on scales and a dyno. The Japanese at least get it: They don't generally publish HP figures, and these days provide accurate curb weights. FWIW, I am not a fan of that journo-whore Cathcart, who isn't critical enough about any motorbike - no matter how flawed. His lack of integrity in this regard, all for the sake of what in his case, is preservation of an enviable lifestyle. So, I take whatever he bashes out in the 50+ rags he supposedly provides his fresh marshmallow-soft content for, for what it's worth - ad copy disguised as "journalism".

The only things I can say for certain about this bike is that it will be expensive to own and operate, and that it will be flawed.

the irony in your first line is funny , and how you can see into the future regarding the bike will be flawed hmmm expensive to own ,well done Sherlock , and to operate hmm again is that your view on any expensive bike I wonder , I just don't get the negativity regarding a bike that none of us has seen or ridden yet

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:13 pm

On my end I have no ill feelings toward the concept my negativity is using the name Super Duke or Duke as a model name. That's a Supermoto T and not "The Beast" or naked Street Fighter that it was born as. I won't speak for anyone else but I still have a Duke I First Edition, had or ridden every Duke and Super Duke since then and I never had the want to put a bigass windshield/fairing/headlight hanging off the front or even a LARGE fuel tank on any DUKE or SUPER DUKE. If I had then I bought the WRONG BIKE! DON'T SCREW UP THE DUKE AND SUPER DUKE PURITY BY PUTTING SH!T ON IT I DON'T WANT! I haven't seen any aftermarket stuff like that offered for the Super Duke and if there is then it doesn't appear to be in big demand. And what's with a quick shifter on a bike like that, seems that's a Ready To Race feature that should only come on the PURE Super Duke and not a touring bike as a feature?? Who is making these calls at KTM??? Sorry but if I need a windshield or big fairing because my chest is getting cold I'll put on a warmer jacket....................it's looks like mom is dressing The Beast for his first day at school, just wait until he shows up at school dressed like that, he'll have a new name real quick "The Sissy Momma's Boy". THAT ISN'T A SUPER DUKE, it's not a Naked Street Fighter, it's at best a Sport Touring bike that will dilute the Brand, there goes the promise.

Okay I'll be a little mean and say that if you're one of the supporters of this concept and using the Super Duke moniker then you obviously bought the wrong bike.

KTM drop the Duke out of it and call it the SUPER GT (SGT) :wink:

SD#1
Last edited by SUPER DUKE #1 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to Hooliganism