2016 Superduck 1290 GT

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Re: 2016 Superduck 1290 GT

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:23 am

I agree, having recently looked into the KTM / Superduke range as a noob, its confusing to have a Superduke thats really an SMT.....
Saying that I don't mind the looks tbh .. but then again I like the Yamaha MT-10 in Black too ;) (just wish they'd change the wheel colour).
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

Roja
Minimoto racer

Postby Roja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:34 pm

5 are already on the road. We had the Motoh (that's how they spell it) fair this last weekend. It's been in our local dealers for the last two and a half weeks.

Some are very excited and attracted by it, some concentrate on specific novelties like QS or CC or the suspension, some are happy there's more room, and some don't seem to be moved by it in any way.

Not that anyone asked, but I look at it with the same blank stare with which I gaze upon the 2016 SDR - where the only change is the clutch fluid is no longer mineral.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:17 am

I got some laughs reading this thread, having owned and travelled 18,000Ks on the SD1290R, and now 700Ks on the GT, well the GT performs just like the R, its a little more stable at high cornering speeds, (i removed all front and rear chicken strips in the first 100K) the GT is very inspiring, it corners like its on rails, the screen, and extended head light give the bike better high speed stability, the electronic suspension is great, I'm finding 1 person and luggage setting in street mode, very similar to how i had the R set up for road riding, there is many plusses to the GT over the R, but one thing and only negative is, I've noticed is the extra weight while pushing the bike around, one big plus is getting over 300K from a tank of gas. cornering lights and cornering ABS also big plusses, other than that, these bikes are very similar. Once its had its first service, and i get a pipe ill be able to give a better idea how well this bike does, loving so far. :D :D....OH PS, in NZ the first shipment (15) of GTs, sold out in a week, the next shipment was due in march next year, and with interest and orders adding up, KTM NZ brought in 10 from the US, one of which i brought, and 4 others were pre sold also. I think KTM got the bike right, and right for the market.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:19 am

Cheers for the comparo Dave.
The older I get the more the GT makes better sense. I generally do more k's on my Tiger 800XC, not for its off road functionality, although it does get some but just because it's a better bike over longer distances and shitty roads.
The 1290 only really gets used for quick squirts. It has actually been that long since I rode it that the battery went flat. Maybe time to ditch both and just get a GT.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:37 am

The GT is a great bike Scamb, but the unthinkable happened today, while chasing my mates up over a MT (windy hill) as exiting a fast up hill corner that has a sunken bump in it where the suspension loads up then un loads as you get on the gas, well there had been some road works, but the road looked cleanish, well i got hard on the gas and the backend let go, it gripped and i thought id saved it, but was so out of shape i lost it low siding it at around a 100kph, bike slid up the road grinding the shit out of the right hand side, she's pretty damaged, and going to cost a heap to repair, I'm ok got a baddy swollen ankle, (hope its not broken) some burn graze marks up my back, and a bruised hip, lucky, as me and the bike slid up hill and didn't hit any thing solid. Depressed the bikes pretty damaged, oh well fukit, bite the bullet and get the parts ordered. :cry:
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:01 am

DaveNZ wrote:The GT is a great bike Scamb, but the unthinkable happened today, while chasing my mates up over a MT (windy hill) as exiting a fast up hill corner that has a sunken bump in it where the suspension loads up then un loads as you get on the gas, well there had been some road works, but the road looked cleanish, well i got hard on the gas and the backend let go, it gripped and i thought id saved it, but was so out of shape i lost it low siding it at around a 100kph, bike slid up the road grinding the shit out of the right hand side, she's pretty damaged, and going to cost a heap to repair, I'm ok got a baddy swollen ankle, (hope its not broken) some burn graze marks up my back, and a bruised hip, lucky, as me and the bike slid up hill and didn't hit any thing solid. Depressed the bikes pretty damaged, oh well fukit, bite the bullet and get the parts ordered. :cry:

Gutting mate. Hope you mend ok, sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

What mode were you in? TC on?

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:13 am

Plake wrote:
DaveNZ wrote:The GT is a great bike Scamb, but the unthinkable happened today, while chasing my mates up over a MT (windy hill) as exiting a fast up hill corner that has a sunken bump in it where the suspension loads up then un loads as you get on the gas, well there had been some road works, but the road looked cleanish, well i got hard on the gas and the backend let go, it gripped and i thought id saved it, but was so out of shape i lost it low siding it at around a 100kph, bike slid up the road grinding the shit out of the right hand side, she's pretty damaged, and going to cost a heap to repair, I'm ok got a baddy swollen ankle, (hope its not broken) some burn graze marks up my back, and a bruised hip, lucky, as me and the bike slid up hill and didn't hit any thing solid. Depressed the bikes pretty damaged, oh well fukit, bite the bullet and get the parts ordered. :cry:

I was in Street mode in suspension with one rider, and street mode for the engine power mode. it happened too quick i think for the TC to have much effect, (TC on) the backend went, then it felt like it gripped, but the initial let go got me out of position on the bike and i couldn't get control and then being out of shape, the rear let go big time, i do the hill regularly flat out, i normally ride with M7RRs, but this bike came with the Angels, which I'm familiar with, but i was was just pushing it hard, on a surface that had road works on the day befor, but it looked clean enough, and the bike i was tailing was leaving big black lines out of the corners, so it looked grippy, just to fast, and too much throttle as my suspension was unloading, i should have known better to be pushing a new bike so hard, but the GT feels like its on rails, and my confidence was shy high. but not now. live and learn, at my age i should be taking it a bit easier, but i love the chase. Time to grow up i guess.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Dave,
So sorry to hear that. Hope at the end you heal quickly and the bike ends up better than it was.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:

Dave,
So sorry to hear that. Hope at the end you heal quickly and the bike ends up better than it was.

Thanx Steve, had a terrible nights sleep, where all the scenarios play out in your head, done the road a thousand times, but it just went wrong. The ankle has really swollen up, i guess i better get it Xrayed, I'm heading over to Australia in a week to stay with my son, and go to the Moto GP, so I'm really hoping the ankle is not broken, Cheers again, thank.Dave

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:16 am

Well that sucks. Doesn't take much to do damage to your ankle so hope all goes ok, not going to help groveling in the mud at Phillip Island if you have crutches.
The old 990s crash pretty well, hope the GT is just a few plastic panels.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:04 am

scamb66 wrote:Well that sucks. Doesn't take much to do damage to your ankle so hope all goes ok, not going to help groveling in the mud at Phillip Island if you have crutches.
The old 990s crash pretty well, hope the GT is just a few plastic panels.

Got a moon boot, and a cast on my wrist, ankles got deep tissue damage, so a moon boot for a couple weeks, and i said my wrist was a bit sore, so they x-rayed both, and I've got a cracked wrist. well when it rains it pours. my son will be gutted, he's got heaps of fun stuff organised. heaps of damage to the bike, tank is badly damaged but repairable, clutch cover ground through, and the part under is damaged, both brake leavers gone, handle bars and heated grip, side panels, cornering lights and combined indicator, and the over flow bottle, and also the muffler and guard ground down and both right side foot pegs. fukit.

Plake
Minimoto racer

Postby Plake » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:15 pm

DaveNZ wrote:
Plake wrote:

I was in Street mode in suspension with one rider, and street mode for the engine power mode. it happened too quick i think for the TC to have much effect, (TC on) the backend went, then it felt like it gripped, but the initial let go got me out of position on the bike and i couldn't get control and then being out of shape, the rear let go big time, i do the hill regularly flat out, i normally ride with M7RRs, but this bike came with the Angels, which I'm familiar with, but i was was just pushing it hard, on a surface that had road works on the day befor, but it looked clean enough, and the bike i was tailing was leaving big black lines out of the corners, so it looked grippy, just to fast, and too much throttle as my suspension was unloading, i should have known better to be pushing a new bike so hard, but the GT feels like its on rails, and my confidence was shy high. but not now. live and learn, at my age i should be taking it a bit easier, but i love the chase. Time to grow up i guess.

Damn. Hope your ankle and wrist mend quick. Long list of expensive bits to change as per usual after a slide, almost as painful too.

This story has reduced my confidence in my TC a fair bit.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:20 pm

Cheers Plake. yes my confidence in TC is shattered, i thought this is where its supposed to work its magic, i guess its always a combination of things, i will definitely be going to grippier rubber, M7RRs , the worst thing was how quick the angels let go, no warning, and I'm used to the Angel GTs, i run them on my multi. I presume the TC was working, its hard to tell, i know it worked great on the 1290R as id done many track days, and TC worked great on a predictable surface.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:17 am

This sounds like it is going to be an expensive repair, at least you are not too badly banged up.
There have been very few (that or IDR) issues with the TC on the R, doubt it would be different setup to the GT but I suppose in the end it can't save everything.
Maybe just too quick to catch it?

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:27 am

TC seems to be a great idea but to me when it cuts in it really stuffs up your feel for control of the throttle. Anyhow at least you live to ride another day :D

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:09 am

scamb66 wrote:This sounds like it is going to be an expensive repair, at least you are not too badly banged up.
There have been very few (that or IDR) issues with the TC on the R, doubt it would be different setup to the GT but I suppose in the end it can't save everything.
Maybe just too quick to catch it?

Totally in agreeance Scamb66, TC can't save you from extreme rider error, and this accident was avoidable if i took more time to get used to the tyres, and the suspension, i had so much confidence on the 1290R, and after 100K i was in motorcycle heaven on the GT, and rode it at a fast level but hadn't adjusted to its idiosincrqocies. i paid the price, and i will learn and be a better rider for it.... I'm glad I've been able to join you guys on here, just not a good start from me, but ill be back.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:02 am

Tank is repaired and painted and looks like new, have a remus pipe and link pipe fitted, SAS removal kit fitted while the tank was off and i just got a call from the KTM shop, and all my parts have arrived. And all the parts needed were in stock, so an early morning trip to Hamilton to pick them up, i don't want them couried, don't want the risk of them being delayed or lost. And on monday my wrist cast comes off, so hopefully by the week out i should be GT mobile.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:02 pm

Good to hear mate...the healing process can take so long sometimes
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:12 pm

DukeNukem999 wrote:Good to hear mate...the healing process can take so long sometimes

Cheers DN999, some parts weren't ordered, and the heated grips that turned up were the ones for the 1290R, not the GT, but other than that I've put the bike back together, and fired it up, she sounds great, very loud, the remus pipe and link pipe sound fantastic, and with the cables and exhaust valve removed, and a little cam (supplied with the remus link pipe) fitted to the exhaust servo, theres no fault codes, I've only had it running in the shed, as i can't ride with the wrist cast, and i brought it up to temp, gave it a few revs, and no fault code, so I'm really happy about that. only one prob the pathetic leg on the stand broke off, so now putting the stand down is a PITA.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:33 am

180K ride today on the GT, bike felt great, ankle and wrist felt so so, i lowered the tyre pressures 36F 37R, and got a fault code, but other than that, all went well, and also met another SD GT rider today, and he's on here, just not sure who, so will do some digging. Great day, took it easy, but great to be riding again after 6 weeks.

JDSSDR1290
Minimoto racer

Postby JDSSDR1290 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Glad to hear your back in the saddle & things are good. I always enjoy reading your posts.
36F & 37R ? Arent those high for your riding style? I have no idea on what is recommended with these tyres. The only bike that I have that has ever seen anything close to 40 psi is a 800 lb + touring bike.
PRESENT
2015 SDR 1290
2010 Duc Multistrada
2010 KTM 450 sxf
2010 KTM 450 xcw 6 days
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
way too many to mention

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:52 am

JDSSDR1290 wrote:Glad to hear your back in the saddle & things are good. I always enjoy reading your posts.
36F & 37R ? Arent those high for your riding style? I have no idea on what is recommended with these tyres. The only bike that I have that has ever seen anything close to 40 psi is a 800 lb + touring bike.

Thanx JD, yea those pressures are way higher than i normally ride with. on my multistrada with the Angels on, i run 34F and 36R, but with the 1290GT, you can't lower the pressures without a fault code. at the moment ive pumped the rear up to 38 , and the warning fault flashing has gone, but i would really like to run lower pressures, especially with these heavy walled tyres. Now whats going to happen if we want to run sports tyres on the GT,i.e. M7RRs, of which i ran on my 1290R, and at 33F-35R. fuk the screen will be flashing constantly, there must be a way to ride with a lower pressure than the recommended 42R, thats ridiculous. I blame partly my crash on having a rear tyre pumped to 42, and not being able to generate any heat for fast riding grip....Ready to Race......right?

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Well the GT has had its 1000K service, and its halling arse, they reset the parameters for the quick shifter, and its working fantastically, very smooth action, even with soft throttle openings and around 5000 revs she changes smoothly, i did 400Ks yesterday of windy tight country back roads (15K of gravel also) with the wife on the back, she loved it and gave the big thumbs up. 380K out of a tank of gas, and spent many miles in 3rd gear. i had the suspension and power set in street mode, suspension = street and 2 people, but i felt the rear suspension was too soft, too much spring travel, half way through i set it to 2people and luggage, spring preload raised the rear of the bike, and holly heck, it made such a difference. the bike handled great 2up. Extremely happy with the bike, its so nimble and stable 2up, my multistrada is also great to ride 2up, but i find the GT more nimble, and so planted mid corner, its very assuring when halling through a corner, and mid corner the bike feels so planted, you feel like you could go faster. Theres some really nice touches on this bike, self cancelling indicators-fantastic. cruise control-after breaking my wrist, it was nice to set the cruise to 111K, and give my wrist a rest. and to pull up to a stop sign, click the suspension settings, alter, and feel the preload doing its thing, this is truly a great bike guys, I'm very happy with it, after such a bad start. OH PS, there is one negative I've noticed with this bike, its the spring rates, between the front and the back, the rear has lots of travel, which i like, but the front has a lot less in comparison. There is a miss match, generally i prefer a softer front (more forgiving) and a little firmer rear (to deal with the torque of this motor) but there is a miss match. i could have done a better job for KTM sorting out matching spring rates.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:35 am

Well the GT has now done 2000Ks and the suspension has bedded in. In Street mode one person. front rider sag=38mm, rear rider sag=45mm, (yet to check in sport mode). but as i suspected the rear is mismatched to the front, there is too much rider sag in the rear shock. I'm getting the same sag measurements i got on my 1290R, but on that bike i could wind up the rear preload to get 35mm rider sag. i hear your can get the rear sag rates changed by 5mm via the computer hook up, so hopefully early next year when some open mapping gets made available for the GT, i will get the rear preload dialled up, with the mapping up date. when setting the bike in 2 people with luggage the preload winds right up, to 20mm rider sag. i think i shall see what the sag will be with 1 rider and luggage, hopefully somewhere around 35mm, then i can use this mode until i get it altered....Well 1 rider and gear= rider sag of 24mm, free sag of 6mm, not ideal but i shall clock up a few Ks on his setting and see if it matches the front better. Nope didn't like this mode for solo riding,( Rear to harsh) so its looking like some soft ware changes to get the rear sag reduced for street mode solo riding. will do some sports mode measurements to see where the sag is at.

HMak
Minimoto racer

Postby HMak » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm thinking of trading in my 1190 Adventure for a SD GT and would like to ask about the size of the panniers.
The question is whether you can a full face helmet in? I asked in another forum and got 2 different answers! Ultimately I'll have to try mine at the dealers but any experiences would be welcome.

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism