990's rule ...1290's suck

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
mac900
Two wheeled terror

Re: 990's rule ...1290's suck

Postby mac900 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:10 am

bic_bicknell wrote:The other thing I forgot to say was that I really missed having a quick shifter. The1290 with that endless surge of power and torque would have been even more fun with a QS fitted. :D

I think the QS is a definite need and should come with it right from the factory!

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:23 am

mac900 wrote:
bic_bicknell wrote:The other thing I forgot to say was that I really missed having a quick shifter. The1290 with that endless surge of power and torque would have been even more fun with a QS fitted. :D

I think the QS is a definite need and should come with it right from the factory!

For sure!!The bike's expensive enough!!

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:24 pm

So today I went for a ride with a forum member, 1290 owner and we swapped bikes for 30 minutes or so.

Me: 2008 SDR 990, 8900 miles.

Him: 2015 SDR 1290, 5800 miles.

We had the Sena 10's in Voice Activated Intercom so we could talk (harass) each other. I'd highly recommend an intercom system. I have been borrowing the Sena SMH 10's and will soon be purchasing a 20S.

As soon as he sat on my bike with the PowerParts seat, he noticed how stupidly hard it is. I told him the stock seat was worse. In comparison, the 1290's stock seat is quite nice, again, I only rode for 30 minutes or so, and I noticed that all the controls are very well located and you sit in the bike, not on it. Very comfortable for my 6'1" height.

I'm not sure how he had the suspension set up but it felt very good. If I owned it I'd set sag, pre load and re-bound to fit my weight and liking. On my bike, I've taken all the pre-load out as it was making me loose tooth fillings every time I hit any bump, pot hole or raised road markings.

We did not do lots of cornering, it is FL after all, but the few I took it felt compliant, not much different than my 990.

The truth is I really wanted to test engine to engine. So we did a few roll on testings. Just like we had done when I was riding my 990.

6th gear, 60 mph, 1...2...3... go! We were even until 100 mph and the 1290 started pulling.

4th gear, 60 mph, 1...2...3...go! the 1290 pulls and the 990 cannot catch up.

2nd gear, 30 mph, 1...2...3...go! We were even until 8-9k rpm and going through the gears the 1290 stays ahead and slightly pulling but not leaving the 990 for dead by any means.

He had the bike set up with ABS on, TC on, and WC on and SPORT mode. I run through the gears a few times and it felt like the front tyre was skimming the ground when shifting to 3rd and 4th. I guess without WC on it would have ... wheelied.

Would I buy one? Yes. It is an evolution of the SDR 990, BUT (There's always a but) I don't think I would be able to have more fun on the 1290 than the 990. The 990 is raw, brute, unrefined and you have to be a better rider to civilize the bike. I enjoy when my friends ask me to have a go on my 990R and they discover that between the twitchy throttle, hard seat, harder suspension and in general wild bike, it takes lots of finesse to come out of a slow corner without the bike bucking like a wild bronco.

Like other have said before me, I can wait until the price comes down to find a clean lightly used example. I just don't ride enough to justify (in my own head) a $15k/$16k bike that's going to sit in the garage and be ridden a few thousand miles x year. No, I do have the money available so that's not the issue. I do like the fact it has a rear seat so I'd be able to take the wife for a ride that one time/year she asks for it.

Getting gas in the middle of nowhere, FL, wearing my stylish Aerostich Roadcrafter.

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:02 pm

Good write up !
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:15 am

Sarasota_Steve wrote:
As soon as he sat on my bike with the PowerParts seat, he noticed how stupidly hard it is. I told him the stock seat was worse. In comparison, the 1290's stock seat is quite nice, again, I only rode for 30 minutes or so, and I noticed that all the controls are very well located and you sit in the bike, not on it. Very comfortable for my 6'1" height.

Yeah, the SDR basically comes with a superbike tail section for track duty. They're really good at one thing and that's providing amazing feedback to feel exactly what the bike is doing under you. With the standard SD seat I cannot simply slide around on it, I have to pick myself up out of the hole I'm sitting in then move over, upsetting the suspension.

I've definitely thought about stripping my track seat down and just putting some HT Moto grip on the shell for a ghetto fabulous superbike tail.

http://www.trackdaymag.com/categories/techinspection/160-supersport-tail-vs-superbike-tail
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:51 am

DukeNukem999 wrote:Good write up !

agree, ANOTHER good write up.

I'm now thinking about buying a 1050 Adventure and making my own retro-ish (990) Super Duke. Maybe fit a RC8 twin spar swingarm, 2008 SDR headlight, seat and tail section. Twice high mounted cans without cats in them (just thinking for KTM OE, as they should be in the mufflers in the first place). Fuel tank and shrouds are still a guess but the 2008+ tank/shrouds are not bad (that white 990 SDR is soooooo much better looking :D :mrgreen: ) No E-suspension or girly-tronics, but will go for an up and down QS....maybe :wink: .

A low entry priced, retro style and ergo, 1050 SDR would be killer IMO. Seems it would be a good seller as I get the impression from the write ups the 990 SD is still the best bang for the buck, Euro, Pound or whatever currency bike out there :D :D

SD#1

desmo-kid
Two wheeled terror

Postby desmo-kid » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:13 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:So today I went for a ride with a forum member, 1290 owner and we swapped bikes for 30 minutes or so.

We had the Sena 10's in Voice Activated Intercom so we could talk (harass) each other. I'd highly recommend an intercom system. I have been borrowing the Sena SMH 10's and will soon be purchasing a 20S.

I'm not sure how he had the suspension set up but it felt very good. If I owned it I'd set sag, pre load and re-bound to fit my weight and liking. On my bike, I've taken all the pre-load out as it was making me loose tooth fillings every time I hit any bump, pot hole or raised road markings.

We did not do lots of cornering, it is FL after all, but the few I took it felt compliant, not much different than my 990.

The truth is I really wanted to test engine to engine. So we did a few roll on testings. Just like we had done when I was riding my 990.

6th gear, 60 mph, 1...2...3... go! We were even until 100 mph and the 1290 started pulling.

2nd gear, 30 mph, 1...2...3...go! We were even until 8-9k rpm and going through the gears the 1290 stays ahead and slightly pulling but not leaving the 990 for dead by any means.

He had the bike set up with ABS on, TC on, and WC on and SPORT mode. I run through the gears a few times and it felt like the front tyre was skimming the ground when shifting to 3rd and 4th. I guess without WC on it would have ... wheelied.

Would I buy one? Yes. It is an evolution of the SDR 990, BUT (There's always a but) I don't think I would be able to have more fun on the 1290 than the 990. The 990 is raw, brute, unrefined and you have to be a better rider to civilize the bike. I enjoy when my friends ask me to have a go on my 990R and they discover that between the twitchy throttle, hard seat, harder suspension and in general wild bike, it takes lots of finesse to come out of a slow corner without the bike bucking like a wild bronco.

Like other have said before me, I can wait until the price comes down to find a clean lightly used example. I just don't ride enough to justify (in my own head) a $15k/$16k bike that's going to sit in the garage and be ridden a few thousand miles x year. No, I do have the money available so that's not the issue. I do like the fact it has a rear seat so I'd be able to take the wife for a ride that one time/year she asks for it.

Getting gas in the middle of nowhere, FL, wearing my stylish Aerostich Roadcrafter.

What a sever case of denial. "Mine is better because it is so flawed".

When guys like this find a great deal on the new, better thing they are talking down they are the first and loudest to say how much greater the new one is.

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 pm

desmo-kid wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:So today I went for a ride with a forum member, 1290 owner and we swapped bikes for 30 minutes or so.

When guys like this find a great deal on the new, better thing they are talking down they are the first and loudest to say how much greater the new one is.

Im glad I wasn't the only one that was thinking that. Not only that, but it looks like you are testing a totally Stock 1290 (which is seriously anemic with that stock tune for emissions purposes). against a modded 990. But whatever, you 990 guys are a trip. LOL
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:12 pm

desmo-kid wrote:[

Hahaha coming from some one with the name "Desmo-kid"

I thought you Ducati-istas called flaws "Character"? Isn't that what you guys love to hate about your Ducs?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:59 pm

BrandonH wrote:
desmo-kid wrote:

Im glad I wasn't the only one that was thinking that. Not only that, but it looks like you are testing a totally Stock 1290 (which is seriously anemic with that stock tune for emissions purposes). against a modded 990. But whatever, you 990 guys are a trip. LOL

Dear BrandonH and DesmoKid, Can I call you Brandy and Desmo-Gurl? Ok, Brandy and Desmo-Gurl it is.

1290 Owners are soooo sensitive about this topic. It's bordering on ridiculous at this point.
Did you girls read the part when I said - Would I buy one? Yes. It is an evolution of the SDR 990, BUT (There's al ... - That is a compliment.
What about the part where I said - I just don't ride enough to justify (in my own head) a $15k/$16k bike that's going to sit in the garage and be ridden a few thousand miles x year. No, I do have the money available so that's not the issue. -

And this part ? - He had the bike set up with ABS on, TC on, and WC on and SPORT mode. I run through the gears a few times and it felt like the front tyre was skimming the ground when shifting to 3rd and 4th. I guess without WC on it would have ... wheelied. - That is another compliment.

I did not say I hated the bike. I just said it's not night and day compared to the one I already own and sits in my garage. If it would have blown me away, for example compared it to an SV 650 and I would have felt the power, brakes, handling but mostly the power of the beast, I probably would be dreaming of owning one. I'm not. The one I have in the garage is 90% the bike the 1290 is and that's fine with me.

Why don't you girls go for a mani-pedi or a couples massage, have a nice glass of Pinot Grigio and relax .....
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:33 pm

My take on it for what its worth:
I thought my 1290 was probably an extravagance that would only do a couple of thousand miles a year as I also have an SMT and a 1098 Streetfighter to ride, but when a new one came up discounted to £12,000 I had to have it because they're never going to be cheaper than that. But in fact I can't keep off it. I've done 6000 miles since March and yes, the Akra Evo full system makes a huge difference. For once I believe the manufacturers claim of a 12 bhp increase. Its given it way more bottom end thump and sharpened the throttle response. Its a different bike.

The stock suspension set-up wasn't that great. I took it to a suspension shop for a pro set-up and they found that the rebound damping was mismatched between front and rear leading to a slight tendency to wallow and the bike's attitude was was rear biased - the back was lower than the front with not enough weight over the front wheel. They set it up correctly and sharpened it up no end, which showed up the limitations of the OE Dunlop tyres. They came off and Metzeler M7RR went on which upped the game still more.

Like most KTMs, the standard bike is by no means the finished article. I think the brakes can be improved as well with different pads.

The 1290 really fits in very well in my stable. The Ducati has a much more sporty riding position. The suspension has been upgraded with Ohlins and K-Tech and the engine has been blue-printed, lightened and balanced. It feels like a focused sports bike and that's how it gets used, for scratching, while the SDR is just a phenomenally good all-round road bike. It easily keeps up with the latest litre sports bikes up to about 140 mph when the lack of slippery bodywork start to make the handling a bit boisterous on very fast curves. I think the standard steering damper is pretty ineffective and a future mod will be a top-end reactive unit. I have two mates who have a tweaked R1 anda n S10009RR. They're both very keen on rinsing it in a straight line and neither of then can lose the SDR, which would be even better with a quick-shifter. The way it revs If you pin the throttle its a manic task trying to keep pace with the gear changes. Overall its a supremely comfortable hyper-roadster even more so with the Ergo seat and the wind blast is less noticeable than on the Ducati because the lower bar position on that bike forces your to crick your neck back which increases the strain. I've ridden 450 miles days on the SDR in complete cormfort without getting worn out.

The SMT is completely different from the other two and never feels like the poor relation. Its been fully uncorked with the full suite of mods and its just a lovely thing to ride. Where the other two are awesome the SMT is just a laugh. Its punchy and willing, sounds ace but never tries to kill you, the upright riding position feels liberating without the bulk or weight of most litre uprights/adventure bikes and then there's that sweet chassis and effortless steering. I wouldn't part with it.
If you have a hankering for a 1290 but have to have a 990 in your life as well, this pairing really works.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:45 pm

lol.. too funny. all bikes are good. well most of them anyway. I've had the opportunity to ride most of the big KTM bikes because of friends with varied interests in riding, and working in the industry for a few years. A while ago I had a chance to take demo rides for KTM in north GA and got to ride back to back all day long the 990 SuperDuke, 990 SMR (or was it the 950?), and one with aftermarket stuff added (full akra, smaller front sprocket, carbon stuff, etc) an RC8 and even the 950 Super Enduro (never forgot that ride BTW). IMHO all of the KTM's need a bit of lovin' to really perform the way they should out of the factory. I forgive them because they do have to meet emissions, noise, etc, but you really need to uncork any of them if you really want to see what it'll do. I've had the little bikes (200 and 450) and have ridden a bunch of the mid size bikes as well (original duke and duke II, 690 SMR, SMC, Enduro and Duke) and the 950/990 adventures. Plus I own the off road beast, the 950 Super Enduro. But the 1290 really called to me. But by that same token I had zero interest in one with stock exhaust. So I bought a used one with 1k miles, full Akra Evo system and remapped ECU. I'll add the Rottweiler intake shortly, and then start to look at the suspension and brakes. Once sorted I think it'll be the real "beast"!

Is the 990 SD a good bike? for sure. is the 1290 a good bike? of course! is one "better" than the other? that's your call. used prices- it's hard to beat a well taken care of used bike. Most of the 990's I've seen locally can be had in the 6-9k range (from what little I looked at them). Used 1290s are in the $13k range right now. Is it $4-6k better? all depends upon how much cash you have and what your needs are. I didn't really have any interest in the 990 but the 1290 really caught my eye. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of my friends think the designer of the 1290 was blind. :) If I had a 990 would I "upgrade"? probably not unless I just really wanted a new bike. IMHO the electronics are worth the price of admission. I had a 2008 CBR1000rr that I used on the track a lot and while it was a very fun bike to ride, light weight, and easy to ride fast, the lack of current gen electronics was a bit of a limitation to me. I'm not super fast on the track (I always raced lightweight twins, Hawk GT's and SV's) but I enjoy my time there and the confidence that a well set up bike with good electronics is hard to beat. Again IMHO the electronics package of the 1290 was one reason for my consideration of the bike. With the power output, it's nice to have some "backup" to my throttle hand. I know some don't like the stuff, and I've been riding mine with it turned off (wish I could control just the wheelie mode) but until I get used to the bike, the "nanny" is welcome.

@sarasota_steve I might be down there in the next month or so (north Tampa area?) so If I get a chance to be in your area maybe we can meet. Not sure if I'll have my bike with me this trip but for sure will come down with it in the future..
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:50 am

Yep, airbox, remapping and suspension upgrades will be my next mods. I'll probably wait till the warranty expires though. If I use non-approved parts and anything goes wrong, even if its completely unrelated to the mods, I'm pretty sure KTM won't want to know.
I want a throttle response much closer to one-to-one, like the Ducati, which feels like the throttle is connected directly to the back wheel. The slightest throttle movement is transferred instantly to the back tyre, which isn't as brutal as it sounds, it actually feels far more controllable provided the fuelling is perfectly smooth, which it is.

The suspension shop who set up the 1290 commented that forks and shock seemed built down to a price, especially the plastic reload collar on the rear shock. I don't know whether there's an Ohlins or K-Tech cartridge kit for the forks but I know there's an Ohlins shock. The TTX on my Ducati is fantastic. Or I may go for a WP upgrade.
A steering damper that works and some lighter, grippier rearsets are on the list as well.

desmo-kid
Two wheeled terror

Postby desmo-kid » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:
BrandonH wrote:
desmo-kid wrote:

Dear BrandonH and DesmoKid, Can I call you Brandy and Desmo-Gurl? Ok, Brandy and Desmo-Gurl it is.

1290 Owners are soooo sensitive about this topic. It's bordering on ridiculous at this point.
Did you girls read the part when I said - Would I buy one? Yes. It is an evolution of the SDR 990, BUT (There's al ... - That is a compliment.
What about the part where I said - I just don't ride enough to justify (in my own head) a $15k/$16k bike that's going to sit in the garage and be ridden a few thousand miles x year. No, I do have the money available so that's not the issue. -

And this part ? - He had the bike set up with ABS on, TC on, and WC on and SPORT mode. I run through the gears a few times and it felt like the front tyre was skimming the ground when shifting to 3rd and 4th. I guess without WC on it would have ... wheelied. - That is another compliment.

I did not say I hated the bike. I just said it's not night and day compared to the one I already own and sits in my garage. If it would have blown me away, for example compared it to an SV 650 and I would have felt the power, brakes, handling but mostly the power of the beast, I probably would be dreaming of owning one. I'm not. The one I have in the garage is 90% the bike the 1290 is and that's fine with me.

Why don't you girls go for a mani-pedi or a couples massage, have a nice glass of Pinot Grigio and relax .....

Ain't it so funny the guys who throw around the girlie talk are the ones that in the end are so insecure about their manhood.

But that aside, I don't have my ego tied up in the things I own. I don't have an agenda. What I do have, which gives me much more credibility than you, is 2 SD900's as well as the 1290.

They guy you were riding with apparently can't ride very well, as my 1290 just blows the doors off of both my 990's. They just cannot keep up right off the line, nor should they be able to, the difference in horsepower is so large.

As for the Ducatis, well, I don't need to throw rocks at other brands like you. I don't have the jealousy and name calling gene you do. Anyway, I only own the old ones, so I'm just a poor guy left with bevel drive Sports and Super Sports.

cessnatpa
Two wheeled terror

Postby cessnatpa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 pm

Desmo kid have you actually raced your 990's against your 1290 or doing a seat of the pants comparison?

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 am

cessnatpa wrote:Desmo kid have you actually raced your 990's against your 1290 or doing a seat of the pants comparison?

Ha! The guy I was riding with chimes in ... :)

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:44 pm

desmo-kid wrote: I don't have my ego tied up in the things I own. I don't have an agenda. What I do have, which gives me much more credibility than you, is 2 SD900's as well as the 1290.

They guy you were riding with apparently can't ride very well, as my 1290 just blows the doors off of both my 990's. They just cannot keep up right off the line, nor should they be able to, the difference in horsepower is so large.

Mhm, ok.

cessnatpa wrote:Desmo kid have you actually raced your 990's against your 1290 or doing a seat of the pants comparison?

Hmmmm.

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Ha! The guy I was riding with chimes in ... :)

Dis gon be good

Me so Hoony.

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:47 pm

I just think its funny to let the 990 guys talk. Having owned 4 LC8 bikes (2 of them 1290s), I know better. I just let them spout off. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2007 950 SE
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

Miff_UK
Minimoto racer

Postby Miff_UK » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:02 pm

OK, just to stick my twopenn'th in.

I rode to Teasdale's (thirsk) on my 990 (yoshis, pc3, air box, suspension rebuilt by Reactive suspension)

I had a test ride on the 1290 while a mate tested an RSV4 tuono

First impressions of the 1290 (ackro can only )

Very soft on the throttle at low speeds not as instant as my 990
Needs to be revved before power really hits (7k) but when it does , wow.
Power delivery initially underwhelming overall though for 60bhp more
Riding position is spot on and suspension and handling good

On the ride back after a cuppa, I disabled the traction control, now it started making sense
Once I had learned to ride with the different power band, the bike came alive , wheelie in third, no dramas , great handling and very comfy.

I handed the bike back still underwhelmed for what it would cost me to change £6-8k

Got back on my bike and....
Handling great,
Instant power off (snatchy) throttle ,but...
WHERES THE POWER ?? I really felt the loss of 60bhp

So in conclusion, the 1290 has all the style, handling and comfort of the 990 and another level of punch when you want it. Just disable the TC each time.
However, I just can't justify the cost to change.

Miff

PS the Tuono was fantastic ! Great handling , smooth power delivery and a great sound. But it felt like a track bike, too fast / focused for the roads. I'd lose my licence !

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:35 am

I was riding to work this morning and thinking about the meaning between digital and analog. I am not sure what the actual definition is but I could tell you which a watch is maybe. So I was wondering if a fly by wire bike would be considered digital and a bike controlling fueling through mechanical means is analog. With that said can this at all play into a certain unconnectedness to the machine or am I reaching here. When I ride-camp I take an old white gas stove that requires tinkering with to run. I have a new fangled Jet Boil stove that has piezo start and canister fuel pods. It is by all definitions much more efficient at bringing water to a boil yet the disconnect from not tickling the stove to life leaves me wanting for connectedness to the task. I leave the Jet Boil at home on the shelf. Could there be a realm of thought that the new machines leave a person want for reaching into the soul of a bike and the further into the digital universe the further from connection. Hell I am sure there are those out there that would not want to step past tickling their Amal's.
Wheelie in third does sound pretty inviting.
I'm BLUE

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Both bikes have their place and KTM dropped the ball or rather jumped the gun with the 1290 Super Duke by too rapid of a progression with the model line. It's like they went from the 950 Adventure as the first offering and skipped right over the 990's and came out with the 1290 Super Adventure IMO. Sure the 1290 Super Adventure is way better (in some/most regards) than the original 950 ADV but what buyer into the Adventure segment would they have eliminated had they not made the progression with the 950's, 990's, 1190's in slightly different (affordable) versions.

KTM needs to continue on with the 1290 Super Duke's and go after that high end customer that has the money to afford it and wants that kind of tech. Not everyone of us or new to the brand customer wants ALL of that tech and entry price. Just like if the auto industry only offered the top of the line models (i.e., BMW, MB, Audi,) no one would ever enjoy their brand if they couldn't justify the entry price for high tech that they don't want or feel they need.

I'll go back to what I wrote when this thread seemed to stop for a few weeks with my "the 990 Super Duke is more bang for the buck" comment. KTM needs to come with a slightly better 990-ish Super Duke to bridge the gap left when they took the giant leap to the 1290 Super Duke. A 1050 V-Twin Super Duke in a "Standard Bike" ergonomics with minimal tech that would be available if the owner wanted to later install it (quick shift, cruise, etc.) and price it competitively like the 990's to the current market. I want a V-Twin so KTM don't come back with "well there's the new 800". :roll:

SD#1

desmo-kid
Two wheeled terror

Postby desmo-kid » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:44 am

No, I have not raced, and trust me, you don't need to after you've opened up a 1290. The first time you wack it open at 4k in 3rd gear and the front wheel immediately starts coming up, with a 230 pound (without riding hear) rider, and THEN the power REALLY comes on as the revs build, you know it is a different beast.

I thought the reviewers copying the KTM term "The Beast" were exaggerating for marketing purposes, advertising purposes, or just to get folks to read. But when I started really hitting the throttle all I could keep saying to myself was "Holy Sxxt, this thing IS a beast".

My 990's always struck me as having plenty of power for the street, but wide open in first and second they would never "take my breath away"....maybe at the peak power they would make the adrenaline run a bit for a moment, that's it. A "that's kind of fun" thing at most.

The 1290 simply takes my breath away in comparison. This happen so much faster in first an second it's not even worth comparing. I defy anyone who owns both to disagree with this.

I've gotten along with the 990 very well for 7 or 8 years. Except for the 1290, the 990 is my favorite street bike that I have ridden, and I've ridden all of the nakeds / streefighters. I have always said that while I prefer the Triumph Speed Triple's motor overall, I prefer the total package of the 990. Well, the 1290 changes that, and I strongly prefer that 1290 motor over the Speed Triple.

As I've said, I hve no agenda. I don't identify myself with my bikes (25 to 30 of them), if I liked something else better I would just buy it. But that 1290 is something else. What a motor.

Anyone who wants a beautiful 990 with 9k miles near Boston for $4900 pm me. Akras. Mapped. Original. Never slid down or tipped over.

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:09 pm

desmo-kid wrote:

No, I have not raced, and trust me, you don't need to after you've opened up a 1290. The first time you wack it open at 4k in 3rd gear and the front wheel immediately starts coming up, with a 230 pound (without riding hear) rider, and THEN the power REALLY comes on as the revs build, you know it is a different beast.

I thought the reviewers copying the KTM term "The Beast" were exaggerating for marketing purposes, advertising purposes, or just to get folks to read. But when I started really hitting the throttle all I could keep saying to myself was "Holy Sxxt, this thing IS a beast".

My 990's always struck me as having plenty of power for the street, but wide open in first and second they would never "take my breath away"....maybe at the peak power they would make the adrenaline run a bit for a moment, that's it. A "that's kind of fun" thing at most.

The 1290 simply takes my breath away in comparison. This happen so much faster in first an second it's not even worth comparing. I defy anyone who owns both to disagree with this.

I've gotten along with the 990 very well for 7 or 8 years. Except for the 1290, the 990 is my favorite street bike that I have ridden, and I've ridden all of the nakeds / streefighters. I have always said that while I prefer the Triumph Speed Triple's motor overall, I prefer the total package of the 990. Well, the 1290 changes that, and I strongly prefer that 1290 motor over the Speed Triple.

As I've said, I hve no agenda. I don't identify myself with my bikes (25 to 30 of them), if I liked something else better I would just buy it. But that 1290 is something else. What a motor.

Anyone who wants a beautiful 990 with 9k miles near Boston for $4900 pm me. Akras. Mapped. Original. Never slid down or tipped over.

I'll have to agree with the view on the 1050 Speed Triple motor ( having owned one) :P and also my 990 SD is (as a package) my favourite bike I've ever owned or ridden, but I haven't tried the 1290 yet !

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:14 pm

desmo-kid wrote:

Finally...... Another Previous Gen LC8 owner that gives a good review!!!!!! You are right on point with your assessment. it seems like the standard gripe from the 990 guys is either "I don't want to spend the extra money to get one" or "it didn't impress me". Well, no kidding it didn't impress you! The bikes you are riding are highly modded 990s, and then ride a completely stock 1290. Did you really think it would impress you?? "Holy Shit" mode is an easy 2 clicks away (turn ABS & MTC off). If the Rear tyre isn't getting sideways or the front wheel isn't coming up in 5 gears, you're missing out. "Opened up" 1290s are night and day from a stock 1290. (ive owned 2, trust me).

Desmo-Kid, I also owned a speed Triple way back when. It was actually a 955 Daytona that was professionally turned into a Speed Triple. Had all the bells and whistles (Titanium wolf full exhaust, Ohlins F/R, Cams, Etc). It was a fun bike, but comparing with the bikes of today, definitely a dinosaur.
2007 950 SE
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

jmann

Postby jmann » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:38 pm

DribbleDuke wrote:I was riding to work this morning and thinking about the meaning between digital and analog. I am not sure what the actual definition is but I could tell you which a watch is maybe. So I was wondering if a fly by wire bike would be considered digital and a bike controlling fueling through mechanical means is analog. With that said can this at all play into a certain unconnectedness to the machine or am I reaching here. When I ride-camp I take an old white gas stove that requires tinkering with to run. I have a new fangled Jet Boil stove that has piezo start and canister fuel pods. It is by all definitions much more efficient at bringing water to a boil yet the disconnect from not tickling the stove to life leaves me wanting for connectedness to the task. I leave the Jet Boil at home on the shelf. Could there be a realm of thought that the new machines leave a person want for reaching into the soul of a bike and the further into the digital universe the further from connection. Hell I am sure there are those out there that would not want to step past tickling their Amal's.
Wheelie in third does sound pretty inviting.

Comrade Dribble: I absolutely agree with your sentiments. To my mind half the fun of bike riding (and other riding) is "tickling their Amal's". I'm not going to buy into the digital versus analogue argument except to say that, for awhile digital IS the new analogue, - it's the way one reaches into the soul of the machine. If one understands the technology one can reach in and play. If one can't, one plays with an old bike where a jet Etc can be adjusted. In many ways it's better, in some ways it's not. It's a bit like using a router to cut a Mortise - the end is far better but it lacks the imperfections ...

PreviousNext

Return to Hooliganism