Input for mod. options 1290 GT

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
vet57air
Minimoto racer

Input for mod. options 1290 GT

Postby vet57air » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:27 pm

I have always looked to this site for the best information on modifying my 1290r. I had Austin racing can, Rotty intake,16 tooth sprocket, Akra map, etc. on that bike. Its gone and now have a 1290 GT. I would like to do similar mods to the GT except keep stock can and get rid of the cat and exhaust
valve. Cat is easy to remove and I guess the valve is easy also but if I take out the valve actuator I imagine it will throw a code? Would the 1290r Akra map work?

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Input for mod. options 1290 GT

Postby Aphex » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:49 pm

I think you're going to have to be the pioneer on this one :D
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:09 pm

Aphex wrote:I think you're going to have to be the pioneer on this one :D

What Aphex said ^ :lol:
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

ttraynor
Stunt rider

Postby ttraynor » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Is this a case where outsmarting the KTM engineers with removing cat/exhaust valve REDUCES that torque bump they got to come in 1000-RPMS lower than in the SDR?

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:47 pm

I would never presume to be smarter than KTM engineers, but from what I have read it is not there for performance. Read this.

http://www.skutr.net/exhaust-valves-and ... explained/

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 am

whack your GT on the dyno with and without the valve and you will know without all the speculation. the valve is probably there for good reason besides euro 3 or 4 regs.
Your GT is heavier than the sdr and having the torque come in 1000 rpm lower in the range will help to push the heavier lump a bit easier. Peak torque may not have changed, I don't know, but coming in earlier would be an advantage with a heavier bike.
Maybe its time for a sub forum for prospective GT owners?
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:56 am

Im keen to see how the GT motor performs + all the modifications & upgrades, as abc mentioned a separate section for the GT would improve this forum even more
I have been wondering why there is not a separate section for the 990 & 1290 already? each section could have its own tech, exhaust, engine etc & what have you done to your 990 or 1290 today, & a for sale/wanted section at the bottom of each also, would save some confusion that arises in some threads with people talking about the 990 & 1290
When the newer generation 1290 Superduke comes out soon with its electrical upgrades etc I think it should have another section also

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:51 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Im keen to see how the GT motor performs + all the modifications & upgrades, as abc mentioned a separate section for the GT would improve this forum even more
I have been wondering why there is not a separate section for the 990 & 1290 already? each section could have its own tech, exhaust, engine etc & what have you done to your 990 or 1290 today, & a for sale/wanted section at the bottom of each also, would save some confusion that arises in some threads with people talking about the 990 & 1290
When the newer generation 1290 Superduke comes out soon with its electrical upgrades etc I think it should have another section also

+3;)

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:02 am

A separate section for the GT would be great.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:40 pm

abc wrote:whack your GT on the dyno with and without the valve and you will know without all the speculation. the valve is probably there for good reason besides euro 3 or 4 regs.
Your GT is heavier than the sdr and having the torque come in 1000 rpm lower in the range will help to push the heavier lump a bit easier. Peak torque may not have changed, I don't know, but coming in earlier would be an advantage with a heavier bike.
Maybe its time for a sub forum for prospective GT owners?

I have just taken delivery of one of the first new GT's in North America and having owned a 1290r I can tell you performance is very similiar. The GT is 16kg. (35lbs) heavier than the r. Not what I consider a heavy bike and a penalty I am happy to take with all the GT's extras. Everything I have read on exhaust valves leads me to believe they are not there for performance. Other bikes have had them for several years and is a popular mod to remove them. To do an intake and exhaust on the GT I would like a different fuel map. Presently I am thinking I may try the 1290r Akra map, if not maybe a PVC. I will let you know how it works out. The exhaust valve is easy to disconnect but I would like to remove the actuator completely, requires further research. I agree with your idea of a separate forum. Saves a lot of time and confusion.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:48 am

Vet57air, did you remove your exhaust valve?, I've recently crashed my 1290GT, and have to replace the muffler with after market, in the process of the crash the guard over the exhaust pipe and exhaust valve was damaged, the valve is at standstill engine off, the valve is wide open. (i guess thats normal), the valve is damaged and i doubt it can move, i don't want to check it with the key on incase it ruins the actuator motor, the question, can i first just remove the cables, and leave the cable actuator (motor) there in place. the motor would work when the computor talks to it, but no cables to move anything, i could leave the valve in the pipe with the valve open, or remove it and weld up the holes. (just read up, and i see it sents a fault code if the valve doesn't open and shut) also what have you done, I'm thinking down the line there will be a dongle thing, so then can remove the actuator, or new engine mapping (which i would wait for) I'm now looking at doing a full Remus system, but with mapping for the fueling, (risky, as it may run lean, i could temporarily weld-place a small blockage to slow exhaust flow, until maping comes available.) Thanx in advance Vet57air. (if you answer) OH PS I've just ordered a Rottweiler SAS and canister removal kit, may as well shed some weight while she's down......Im thinking on the hope and adding, PS, I'm wondering if i could cut to the valve, as the outer side is damaged, the cables could operate, for \ward and back, but the valve is chopped off, but the spring would be still there for load, him scratching head.
Last edited by DaveNZ on Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:37 am

Maybe a simple in line resistor to replace the motor will be enough to trick the computer into not throwing an error code, same as we do when disconnecting the SAS valves on the 1290s
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:58 am

abc wrote:Maybe a simple in line resistor to replace the motor will be enough to trick the computer into not throwing an error code, same as we do when disconnecting the SAS valves on the 1290s

Not sure this would work as the actuator has parameters it works to, i.e. turning the valve forward and back and reading if the valve is free to move, I'm more thinking its a computor software up grade to remove it, like on the aprilia V4s.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 am

DaveNZ wrote:
abc wrote:Maybe a simple in line resistor to replace the motor will be enough to trick the computer into not throwing an error code, same as we do when disconnecting the SAS valves on the 1290s

Not sure this would work as the actuator has parameters it works to, i.e. turning the valve forward and back and reading if the valve is free to move, I'm more thinking its a computor software up grade to remove it, like on the aprilia V4s.

Fact is its a DC system, as long as the proper resistance is presented to the ECU it shouldn't matter. Canbus us between controllers.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:51 pm

Well I've ordered a black Remus muffler, link pipe, and a plug which goes into the actuator to fool the computor into thinking is operating as normal, now i hope the fueling isn't too lean, as i wait for open mapping to come out.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:24 pm

DaveNZ wrote:Vet57air, did you remove your exhaust valve?, I've recently crashed my 1290GT, and have to replace the muffler with after market, in the process of the crash the guard over the exhaust pipe and exhaust valve was damaged, the valve is at standstill engine off, the valve is wide open. (i guess thats normal), the valve is damaged and i doubt it can move, i don't want to check it with the key on incase it ruins the actuator motor, the question, can i first just remove the cables, and leave the cable actuator (motor) there in place. the motor would work when the computor talks to it, but no cables to move anything, i could leave the valve in the pipe with the valve open, or remove it and weld up the holes. (just read up, and i see it sents a fault code if the valve doesn't open and shut) also what have you done, I'm thinking down the line there will be a dongle thing, so then can remove the actuator, or new engine mapping (which i would wait for) I'm now looking at doing a full Remus system, but with mapping for the fueling, (risky, as it may run lean, i could temporarily weld-place a small blockage to slow exhaust flow, until maping comes available.) Thanx in advance Vet57air. (if you answer) OH PS I've just ordered a Rottweiler SAS and canister removal kit, may as well shed some weight while she's down......Im thinking on the hope and adding, PS, I'm wondering if i could cut to the valve, as the outer side is damaged, the cables could operate, for \ward and back, but the valve is chopped off, but the spring would be still there for load, him scratching head.

If you remove the cables connecting valve to servo, the bike will give MTC failure.
The exhaust valve is open when key off. Turn key on you will see the valve goes fully closed then fully open. This is computer checking valve operation. I have Motohooligan intake, Remus decat pipe and have taken out the DB killer in the stock can. Remus pipe comes with a piece for the exhaust valve servo, which fools the computer in thinking the valve cables are still in place. I ran this setup for 2000 kms with no issues. Even had the KTM scanner check for lean codes and found none. Yes, not the best combination to run without a map but presently there are no options. Bike is put away for the winter and KTM says "they will have a map for this combination soon, likely in the new year".

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:21 pm

Thanx vet57air, i have 2 choices, the exhaust valve was damaged in the slide down the road, so i have to disconnect it from the cables, I've ordered from the UK (got to help post Brexit) muffler link pipe and hopefully the fitting for to fool the valve actuator. i could fit all three, muffler-link pipe and plug and risk running it a little lean till mapping comes out, OR i could just remove the damaged exhaust valve and cables, leave the existing cat exhaust on and fit the new Remus muffler and plug, and save the link pipe for future mapping.

Elsner
Minimoto racer

Postby Elsner » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:44 pm

DaveNZ wrote:Well I've ordered a black Remus muffler, link pipe, and a plug which goes into the actuator to fool the computor into thinking is operating as normal, now i hope the fueling isn't too lean, as i wait for open mapping to come out.

Hi DaveNZ

From Where did you get the plug to disconnect the exhaust servo?

I just got my 2017 sdr 1290R, and have the same "problem"..

I'm not gonna have the KTM Akra map.. (I'll lose my warranty here in Denmark, if I get the map, without having the akrapovic evo sys)

I'm going for:
Rottweiler st.4, with PCV and ign. Module.
Slipon akrapovic
Arrow decat.

If anyone can help, it would be great.. :D

https://goo.gl/photos/fHsQUub5GV4nTDyy6

Cheers
René

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:51 am

Elsner wrote:
DaveNZ wrote:Well I've ordered a black Remus muffler, link pipe, and a plug which goes into the actuator to fool the computor into thinking is operating as normal, now i hope the fueling isn't too lean, as i wait for open mapping to come out.

Hi DaveNZ

From Where did you get the plug to disconnect the exhaust servo?

I just got my 2017 sdr 1290R, and have the same "problem"..

I'm not gonna have the KTM Akra map.. (I'll lose my warranty here in Denmark, if I get the map, without having the akrapovic evo sys)

I'm going for:
Rottweiler st.4, with PCV and ign. Module.
Slipon akrapovic
Arrow decat.

Hi there Rene, When you receive your link pipe, i got the Remus one, well with the Remus one, a little cam comes with it, it replaces the cam that pulls and pushes the cables.and it fools the computor into thinking the exhaust valve is still operational. What i have done is purchased the Remus link pipe and the Remus muffler. (i would have preferred the Akrapovic, it looks and sounds better) but I'm happy with the Remus, and the benefit with the remus is the cam supplied to replace the exhaust valve, so thats why i went that way (plus cheeper). Also i found the bike ran a little leaner, so i purchased the o2 sensor removal kit from Rottweiler, That made a big difference, the bike now runs very smooth, even in 6th at a 110KPH. Ive also got the stage 2 SAS removal kit from Rottweiler, and that removed a lot of junk. Hope this helps, if you are going to use the Arrow decat link pipe, it may pay to check to see if it comes with a cam to replace the cable pulling cam, if it doesn't then your bike will throw a fault code. good luck.

Elsner
Minimoto racer

Postby Elsner » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi again DaveNZ

Thanks for your reply..

I already have the arrow decat here.. and it did not come with the little cam.. I was just hoping that it would be possible to buy the cam alone, now I have the decat.. ?

But I may be lucky..
It may be possible (after all) to get the akra map.. without loosing my warranty.. (as long I have the EVO exhaust mounted, if/when I have an exploded engine) :shock: but I hope it works.. I'll put the bike on the Dyno afterwords, to check the AFR..

Do you know if it's possible with a total remove of the exhaust servo, without FI light, when the bike has the akra flash? I think it should be... sense it's not used on track..

new plans are:
Rottweiler
Sas removal
Canister removal
Arrow de-cat
Akrapovic slipon (then its possible to go with panniers)

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:34 pm

Im not sure if there is a map available for the GT Rene, you could try and sell your link pipe and buy the Remus one, (or you could contact Remus and just get the cam) then you will have the cam to remove the exhaust valve cables, but other than that, you will have to wait till something comes out for the GT, i was thinking there may eventually be an electronic solution to removing the exhaust valve setup in the way of a plug type dongle, but i haven't seen anything yet.

vet57air
Minimoto racer

Postby vet57air » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:46 am

Presently there is no factory performance map for the GT. Have a intake and the Remus decat. Ran with that for about 1000km with no issues. But with fear getting the best of me I bought a PCV with an autotune. Presently developing a map but started with a modified 1290r map.
I test rode a 2017 1290r today and I must say I really like the bike, but it has no more power than my GT and the power delivery on my bike with the mods is way smoother.

Elsner
Minimoto racer

Postby Elsner » Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm

vet57air wrote:Presently there is no factory performance map for the GT. Have a intake and the Remus decat. Ran with that for about 1000km with no issues. But with fear getting the best of me I bought a PCV with an autotune. Presently developing a map but started with a modified 1290r map.
I test rode a 2017 1290r today and I must say I really like the bike, but it has no more power than my GT and the power delivery on my bike with the mods is way smoother.
DaveNZ wrote:Im not sure if there is a map available for the GT Rene, you could try and sell your link pipe and buy the Remus one, (or you could contact Remus and just get the cam) then you will have the cam to remove the exhaust valve cables, but other than that, you will have to wait till something comes out for the GT, i was thinking there may eventually be an electronic solution to removing the exhaust valve setup in the way of a plug type dongle, but i haven't seen anything yet.

Hi guys..

Thanks The feedback..

It is the 2017 SDR I have.. just past 1000km.. 8)

I'll have the KTM flash anyway.. it will fix the problem with the servo..
in the EVO kit, there is a plug, to fit the servo wiring. That should fix it.

So I'll keep the Remus witch is the best option.. sound vice..
I'll have it flashed in Sweden before my Germany trip here ind may. (I hope)

If possible, I'll have it dynoed before and after, with AFR numbers to share..

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon May 22, 2017 6:06 am

Fitted a 40 tooth rear sprocket the other day, i like this gearing, it helps the bike jump out off the corners, and wheelie easier.

Simonp
Minimoto racer

Postby Simonp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Dave I'm just north of Auckland with a 1290 SDR 16 model. I see you have the GT but used to have the SDR. Wondering about your thoughts on electronic suspension vs the Old school version. Mrs doesn't ride any more so that convenience switch doesn't really matter to me. I have dialled in sag properly on the rear and twiddled around with damping until I found the best compromise, but still find the bike feels a little loose and wallowing at speed. The trade off I guess is that it does ok with the crappy roads we ride here in NZ. Also a lot better after I fitter a Hyperpro damper to replace the weedy stocker.

I did have electronic suspension on a Beemer S1000R but never quite got it working, was either too soft or too harsh (sound like Goldilocks, sorry). Dealer reckoned it was because I'm only 72kgs and need to eat more sausages...

Anyhow, thinking about taking GT for a test ride to get the feel but it's too brief, so wondering now you have had the GT a while, how does it compare? Also wondering if I should go slightly firmer springs instead like the 17 model

Next

Return to Hooliganism