Speedo replacement

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Sarasota_Steve

Speedo replacement

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello,

I know in Europe KTM pre-programs a replacement speedometer with your current mileage. I called a KTM dealership here in the US and he said they would NOT do that, they would only put a sticker at the bottom of the speedo with your present mileage and give you one that starts at 0.

Is it true that if you replace the speedo in the US, your bike will have to be registered as salvage? I read this in a Craigslist or CycleTrader Ad.

I'm tempted to order a speedo from Europe and have it pre-programmed and pick it up in July in London.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Speedo replacement

Postby No. 47 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Let me know if that's the way to go for you.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 am

Happy to inform I had a loose connection inside the nose mask and now it's working great.
I took it apart a few months ago, checked for loose or broken connections and found none. I reassembled using dielectric grease and I used silicone to seal both halves together.
I went for a ride last Sunday for 6-7 hours and the speedometer did not miss one bit. (Fingers crossed and knocking on wood)
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu May 04, 2017 10:33 am

Sometimes you just have to take a risk, all brands wants these days is money and sell new parts. It's getting old :evil:

Good to know there's a fix 8)
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

cdv478
Two wheeled terror

Postby cdv478 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:48 am

Glad to hear you resolved your problem without replacing the speedometer.

My dealer was different than yours as far as reprogramming the odometer was concerned. At about 700 miles from new I noticed the tach needle was scraping the tach face and leaving dust-size plastic fragments inside the housing. They asked me how many miles I expected the motorcycle to have on the scheduled installation date. I told them, and after one trip around the block when I arrived, my mileage was exactly what the new odometer was programmed to read. No paperwork was required regarding the odometer reading. That was back in 2009, so maybe procedures have changed. At the time my motorcycle was still under warranty, so maybe that helped expedite things. If you can find a dealer that will do the swap this way, it makes things very easy.

Before my SDR I had a Ducati Monster (also under warranty at the time) with electrical troubles that were going to require replacement of the ECU, which resides in the guage cluster on the '07 S2R 800, or at least that's what this particular very incompetent dealer said. They also said the new cluster would read zero, and I would have to tape the old reading someplace to keep track of the mileage. The ECU/guages were replaced, but that didn't fix the problem, so the original guages were reinstalled and I never had to deal with the odometer hassle. That dealer sucked and the motorcycle had too many problems, so I sold it when I got the KTM. I think the outcome of an odometer replacement is more dependent on dealer competence than the brand. At the time I lived in Reno, Nevada, and the KTM dealer there always gave excellent service.
2008 Super Duke R
1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV
1976 Honda GL1000 (given to my father)
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800 (sold)

NolaNomad
Two wheeled terror

Postby NolaNomad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Happy to inform I had a loose connection inside the nose mask and now it's working great.
I took it apart a few months ago, checked for loose or broken connections and found none. I reassembled using dielectric grease and I used silicone to seal both halves together.
I went for a ride last Sunday for 6-7 hours and the speedometer did not miss one bit. (Fingers crossed and knocking on wood)

Yo Steve.
man, I'm have a problem with my clocks as well. Just fueled up for gas and took a break from my all day ride.
Got back in the saddle and nothing!.
So my headlights do work both HI/low. Brake lamps OK
Horn works and no fuses faulted, However in my fuse bank the #10 spot is blank, I mean theres no metal housing in the slot to receive the fuse blades, Is this normal? It's just an empty slot.

Anyway was wondering if you had a procedure on diagnosing the issue and fixing the problem?
On the back end of this I will be calling KTM North America in California to ask if they can replace the clocks. So no riding, commuting or getting around town for me until resolved. Not good.

Any advice, appreciated.
"satisfaction is the death of desire"

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 am

NolaNomad wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:Happy to inform I had a loose connection inside the nose mask and now it's working great.

Yo Steve.
man, I'm have a problem with my clocks as well. Just fueled up for gas and took a break from my all day ride.
Got back in the saddle and nothing!.
So my headlights do work both HI/low. Brake lamps OK
Horn works and no fuses faulted, However in my fuse bank the #10 spot is blank, I mean theres no metal housing in the slot to receive the fuse blades, Is this normal? It's just an empty slot.

Anyway was wondering if you had a procedure on diagnosing the issue and fixing the problem?
On the back end of this I will be calling KTM North America in California to ask if they can replace the clocks. So no riding, commuting or getting around town for me until resolved. Not good.

Any advice, appreciated.

I don't have advice to give you but I'd start by looking at the owners manual to see if there is supposed to be a fuse in spot #10 or not. The typical look for loose connections (Like I said on my post, I had one inside my nose mask), push on the connection to the speedo on the back side. I'd say those all common sense troubleshooting items.

Best of luck as I know electric gremlins can be a pain in the ass to diagnose, troubleshoot and finally repair.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri May 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Update:

It started again. Digits fading in and out just like before. This time, I took a more costly measure. I just ordered a new speedo from http://www.mcenthusiasts.com in Spring Hill, FL. I had read everywhere online that KTM was aware of the shit design and failure rate and they would cover it under warranty. Not true.
I gave them my VIN and took a picture of the mileage and they will pre-program and send it to me. No need to re-register the bike with a salvage title as I read somewhere online. (Friggin' people online should STFU if they don't know what they're talking about)

Part number for 08 SDR Speedo is 61114169200.

I also read online that some riders on 690 SM had to have their replaced up to 3 times. I don't want to have to pay $350 more than once.

Cheers,
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri May 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Update:

It started again. Digits fading in and out just like before. This time, I took a more costly measure. I just ordered a new speedo from http://www.mcenthusiasts.com in Spring Hill, FL. I had read everywhere online that KTM was aware of the shit design and failure rate and they would cover it under warranty. Not true.
I gave them my VIN and took a picture of the mileage and they will pre-program and send it to me. No need to re-register the bike with a salvage title as I read somewhere online. (Friggin' people online should STFU if they don't know what they're talking about)

Part number for 08 SDR Speedo is 61114169200.

I also read online that some riders on 690 SM had to have their replaced up to 3 times. I don't want to have to pay $350 more than once.

Cheers,

Did you get the updated clocks? Or replacing with the same unit?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Updated. With the low profile buttons (I think). Gave the guy the part number from the parts fiche and asked him to check if there was an update and he said that was the correct, updated part.
I’ll post pics when installed.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu May 24, 2018 3:00 am

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Updated. With the low profile buttons (I think). Gave the guy the part number from the parts fiche and asked him to check if there was an update and he said that was the correct, updated part.
I’ll post pics when installed.

I just received it today. It’s exactly the same unit. No low profile buttons and italic looking font.
This dealership is awesome. I ordered on Friday morning. They called me on Tuesday afternoon that they received it. And shipped it to me and I received it today, Wednesday. http://www.mcenthusiasts.com

They are in Spring Hill, FL so it’s 110 miles away from my house.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu May 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:
I just received it today. It’s exactly the same unit. No low profile buttons and italic looking font.
This dealership is awesome. I ordered on Friday morning. They called me on Tuesday afternoon that they received it. And shipped it to me and I received it today, Wednesday. http://www.mcenthusiasts.com

I thought you wanted to new style so it wouldn't have the same issues?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu May 24, 2018 4:11 pm

Aphex wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:

I thought you wanted to new style so it wouldn't have the same issues?

I did. In the parts fiche it showed an asterisk and it stated it was a new part number. I thought it was going to be the new style.

Sooooo, I installed the new speedo today. Before I screwed everything back I made sure it was going to work so I turned the key, Heard some noises, saw the tach needle sweep to redline and back .... saw the tyre length 1870 ..... and then .... my odometer is at 000000 miles. Fook me!
I called the shop (Not going to blame them, going to blame KTM), and they told me I can bring the bike with the new speedo mounted and they can re-program the odometer in their shop, but I need to call 2 days prior so they can get an authorization from KTM to change the odometer.
Why the fook did they ask me to take a picture of the old odometer with the mileage when ordering ?
Why didn't they pre-program it?
Why do I have to either ride 110 miles on a straight line or stick the bike in the back of my truck and waste 2 hours each way to have this shit taken care of?
This is the reason I ordered the part and paid to have it shipped to me instead of having to waste a morning and drive a couple of hundred miles to take the bike to a shop.
If you really think about it, its a part that's been known to fail and they should've replaced it under an extended warranty.
These are the things that make me re-consider if I want to purchase another KTM in the future.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu May 24, 2018 9:18 pm

Damn, that's frustrating.

Sorry you gotta deal with that bud.

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:25 pm

I am so frustrated right about now.

Saturday 6/2. I woke up at 6:00, left my house at 7:20 after loading the bike on my trailer and made it to the Spring Hill dealer at 9:20 or so, 114 miles later.

The mechanic saw me unloading the bike and said: "Oh, you are my change speedometer job this morning?" - "Yes I replied". He told me it would take approximately 1 hour and I replied I'd stick around. 30 minutes later the sales person I've been dealing with comes out and says they could not change the mileage on my new speedo because this bike is not RBW (Ride by Wire). Duh! I thought but said nothing. They claim they could've done it on a RBW bike but not on mine.
They called KTM NA in Ohio and left a voicemail. They said they would do the right thing and compensate me for my time. I spent 5 fookin' hours with this shit today.
David called me a few minutes ago after getting a call back from KTM Customer Service and he said he spoke to an employee, who's fairly new at KTM, but there is an older gentleman that has been working there for 20 or so years that can re-program the speedometer.
What David thinks they are going to do is ... wait for it .... re-program a new speedometer and send it to me, and I'll send the one with 0 miles back (What a fookin' concept!)
They say that they requested the present mileage on the bike so they would make a note in my VIN to avoid speedometer fraud. But they typically do not re-program the new units.
I'm now waiting for another phone call early next week to see what they decide to do. Like I said, frustrating.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:07 am

What a load of shit.

I would demand the newer style cluster with flat buttons while they're at it.

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Update:

Friday, June 8th. Another new instrument cluster came to my house from KTM NA. I installed it and it was pre-programmed with the correct mileage. Its a MIRACLE!

So finally, I'm done with that. I hope I don't EVER have to update this thread.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:03 am

This is what I did. Got a dealer to order me a new style cluster and have it programmed by KTM to reflect my current mileage. Then it came and worked fine.

But it was at the end of a long experience of trying to mend units and buy second hand ones and swap bits over. Lesson I learned was that it's not worth the effort - if your clocks fail it's best to bite the bullet and get a new one straight away.

In my long term experience with KTM I believe that a lot of issues with parts and service is the relationship between the dealer and KTM. Choose to use a dealer who knows what they are doing and has a good history with KTM. It makes a massive difference.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:This is what I did. Got a dealer to order me a new style cluster and have it programmed by KTM to reflect my current mileage. Then it came and worked fine.

But it was at the end of a long experience of trying to mend units and buy second hand ones and swap bits over. Lesson I learned was that it's not worth the effort - if your clocks fail it's best to bite the bullet and get a new one straight away.

In my long term experience with KTM I believe that a lot of issues with parts and service is the relationship between the dealer and KTM. Choose to use a dealer who knows what they are doing and has a good history with KTM. It makes a massive difference.

Bic,

I've been dealing with this issue for almost 2 years. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I almost ordered one from Jim Aim in Essex and had it delivered to No47 (top bloke) prior to my trip to London last July. I had read your experience with your speedometer purchase and I thought they could be trusted.

When I contacted Jim Aim they told me they could absolutely do it, but they thought I should deal with a local dealership. I was hesitant since I had read that here, in the US, they would not pre-program the current mileage. After much back and forth with the 'local' (2 hours away) dealer I have it all sorted now. New SDR speedo (Higher red line) with the right mileage. I'm pleased now, but jeeeez it took a long time and effort to get to this point. Something that I think should be as easy as what you went through. Order, give them the mileage, receive it and install it.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Return to Hooliganism