Speedo replacement

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Sarasota_Steve

Speedo replacement

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello,

I know in Europe KTM pre-programs a replacement speedometer with your current mileage. I called a KTM dealership here in the US and he said they would NOT do that, they would only put a sticker at the bottom of the speedo with your present mileage and give you one that starts at 0.

Is it true that if you replace the speedo in the US, your bike will have to be registered as salvage? I read this in a Craigslist or CycleTrader Ad.

I'm tempted to order a speedo from Europe and have it pre-programmed and pick it up in July in London.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Speedo replacement

Postby No. 47 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Let me know if that's the way to go for you.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 am

Happy to inform I had a loose connection inside the nose mask and now it's working great.
I took it apart a few months ago, checked for loose or broken connections and found none. I reassembled using dielectric grease and I used silicone to seal both halves together.
I went for a ride last Sunday for 6-7 hours and the speedometer did not miss one bit. (Fingers crossed and knocking on wood)
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu May 04, 2017 10:33 am

Sometimes you just have to take a risk, all brands wants these days is money and sell new parts. It's getting old :evil:

Good to know there's a fix 8)
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

cdv478
Two wheeled terror

Postby cdv478 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:48 am

Glad to hear you resolved your problem without replacing the speedometer.

My dealer was different than yours as far as reprogramming the odometer was concerned. At about 700 miles from new I noticed the tach needle was scraping the tach face and leaving dust-size plastic fragments inside the housing. They asked me how many miles I expected the motorcycle to have on the scheduled installation date. I told them, and after one trip around the block when I arrived, my mileage was exactly what the new odometer was programmed to read. No paperwork was required regarding the odometer reading. That was back in 2009, so maybe procedures have changed. At the time my motorcycle was still under warranty, so maybe that helped expedite things. If you can find a dealer that will do the swap this way, it makes things very easy.

Before my SDR I had a Ducati Monster (also under warranty at the time) with electrical troubles that were going to require replacement of the ECU, which resides in the guage cluster on the '07 S2R 800, or at least that's what this particular very incompetent dealer said. They also said the new cluster would read zero, and I would have to tape the old reading someplace to keep track of the mileage. The ECU/guages were replaced, but that didn't fix the problem, so the original guages were reinstalled and I never had to deal with the odometer hassle. That dealer sucked and the motorcycle had too many problems, so I sold it when I got the KTM. I think the outcome of an odometer replacement is more dependent on dealer competence than the brand. At the time I lived in Reno, Nevada, and the KTM dealer there always gave excellent service.
2008 Super Duke R
1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV
1976 Honda GL1000 (given to my father)
2007 Ducati Monster S2R 800 (sold)

NolaNomad
Two wheeled terror

Postby NolaNomad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:34 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Happy to inform I had a loose connection inside the nose mask and now it's working great.
I took it apart a few months ago, checked for loose or broken connections and found none. I reassembled using dielectric grease and I used silicone to seal both halves together.
I went for a ride last Sunday for 6-7 hours and the speedometer did not miss one bit. (Fingers crossed and knocking on wood)

Yo Steve.
man, I'm have a problem with my clocks as well. Just fueled up for gas and took a break from my all day ride.
Got back in the saddle and nothing!.
So my headlights do work both HI/low. Brake lamps OK
Horn works and no fuses faulted, However in my fuse bank the #10 spot is blank, I mean theres no metal housing in the slot to receive the fuse blades, Is this normal? It's just an empty slot.

Anyway was wondering if you had a procedure on diagnosing the issue and fixing the problem?
On the back end of this I will be calling KTM North America in California to ask if they can replace the clocks. So no riding, commuting or getting around town for me until resolved. Not good.

Any advice, appreciated.
"satisfaction is the death of desire"

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 am

NolaNomad wrote:
Sarasota_Steve wrote:Happy to inform I had a loose connection inside the nose mask and now it's working great.

Yo Steve.
man, I'm have a problem with my clocks as well. Just fueled up for gas and took a break from my all day ride.
Got back in the saddle and nothing!.
So my headlights do work both HI/low. Brake lamps OK
Horn works and no fuses faulted, However in my fuse bank the #10 spot is blank, I mean theres no metal housing in the slot to receive the fuse blades, Is this normal? It's just an empty slot.

Anyway was wondering if you had a procedure on diagnosing the issue and fixing the problem?
On the back end of this I will be calling KTM North America in California to ask if they can replace the clocks. So no riding, commuting or getting around town for me until resolved. Not good.

Any advice, appreciated.

I don't have advice to give you but I'd start by looking at the owners manual to see if there is supposed to be a fuse in spot #10 or not. The typical look for loose connections (Like I said on my post, I had one inside my nose mask), push on the connection to the speedo on the back side. I'd say those all common sense troubleshooting items.

Best of luck as I know electric gremlins can be a pain in the ass to diagnose, troubleshoot and finally repair.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Return to Hooliganism