Will the 990 become a classic, or is it already?

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Will the 990 become a classic, or is it already?

Postby RichUK » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 am

The 990 is a little bit special, due mainly to it only selling in small numbers but also due to it's styling, ability, sound etc.
Most avid bikers here in the UK know about them and react a certain way when you mention you have one, as bikes go it is a little bit different, or at least was when launched.

They are harder to find used and cost more than an equivalent aged/sized jap bike.
Would you say they are on a par with, or better than Ducati's of similar age/type?

The 1290 is frankly a production line bike now as it sells well.... but there are much fewer 990's around.. will this alone make it a bike to hang on to?

I went to a large bike meeting last week, there were a few KTM's there, mainly bigger stuff like the ADV's.
I saw a couple of 1290 SD's but only one 990 SD (1st shape), I didn't have mine there sadly.

Incidentally before buying mine (last September) I test road a CB1000r, which was nice but the SD got my money... yesterday I noticed the CB is still at the dealers, obviously it was over priced then, and has since been reduced but it just goes to show, we're almost 1/2 way into our riding season. That CB should have sold in April.

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Re: Will the 990 become a classic, or is it already?

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Not a classic already but a future classic indeed. Not many sold and good reviews allround help to that feeling

Maybe like we like old time norton's?
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't think so.

The bike has got a very personal design, 10 years and doesn't look old for me.

For sure that you love your bike but for me classic at the future should be bikes like a Ducati Desmosedici (another level)
Ride it like you stole it!!!

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Edorta wrote:I don't think so.

The bike has got a very personal design, 10 years and doesn't look old for me.

For sure that you love your bike but for me classic at the future should be bikes like a Ducati Desmosedici (another level)

That's my big take away as well.

Most manufacturers follow a design ethos of that generation. The 990 looked like nothing else from 2007-2010, nothing else really had the hard lines and geometric shapes like the 990.

You know you look at cars from the 90's and you can tell it's a 90's car because of certian designs queues, same with cars in the early 2000's and 2010+ but the 990 just doesn't seem to fit in with the other bikes from it's era, it still looks like a modern bike to me.

Timeless may be a better word than classic.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am

Comrades: I think the 990 will become (is) a classic for the period. It is well known as the hoon's bike and the weapon of choice for those engaged in robbing jewelery shops. Further, I think the slabby nosed originals will become the real collectors items despite the fact that that headlight is a bit ugly compared to the 2007+ models. Small production numbers always adds to the attraction. Buy um while you can...

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:32 am

If I could have afforded to keep my old 990 I surely would. Always stood out amongst many bikes and being the rare white model it for some reason drew a crowd. In my opinion it will definitely be something to watch and if pampered will not lose any money. The RC8 is already meant to be a future investment. Just check out some prices of bikes you might have owned 20 plus years ago....... Frightening.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am

jmann wrote:Small production numbers always adds to the attraction. Buy um while you can...

Yes, that's what I was thinking. A bike that only sells in small numbers could mean it wasn't a good bike and/or the manufacturer wasn't very good. KTM are going from strength to strength in the road sector. This will endorse the brand as a main stream road motorcycle manufacturer and boost interest in the brands previous offerings. The SD was KTM's 1st serious street bike, and by that I mean a multi-cylinder engined bike that is not an adventure bike or an SM.

I think it was positioned above the Jap 4 in terms of the standard kit compared to equivalent bikes of it's age, more like a Ducati in a sense as they didn't go for Nissin calipers they went for Brembo, trick wheels rather than own brand. This is the sort of stuff that makes a bike interesting as it ages, and can help it to become a collectors bike.

Yeh I love my bike, I love all of my bikes but I don't for moment think the others stand a chance of becoming a collectors bike, but this one just might, fingers crossed. 8)

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:58 am

SuperDoopa wrote:If I could have afforded to keep my old 990 I surely would. Always stood out amongst many bikes and being the rare white model it for some reason drew a crowd. In my opinion it will definitely be something to watch and if pampered will not lose any money. The RC8 is already meant to be a future investment. Just check out some prices of bikes you might have owned 20 plus years ago....... Frightening.

Comrade: If you really want a rare one there is a camo green one - it looks like shite :roll:

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am

jmann wrote:
SuperDoopa wrote:If I could have afforded to keep my old 990 I surely would. Always stood out amongst many bikes and being the rare white model it for some reason drew a crowd. In my opinion it will definitely be something to watch and if pampered will not lose any money. The RC8 is already meant to be a future investment. Just check out some prices of bikes you might have owned 20 plus years ago....... Frightening.

Comrade: If you really want a rare one there is a camo green one - it looks like shite :roll:

It's still in the showroom...... Brand new and unwanted :lol:

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Saw the 990 appear on a list of future collectables recently for all of the reasons stated above.
Most bikes seem to take 30 years to hit the point where they will make money.
So the real issue is that the "future" for them will be in about 2035. Can you afford to keep one for another 20 years and not ride it to make it an worthwhile investment.
Probably not.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 pm

scamb66 wrote:Saw the 990 appear on a list of future collectables recently for all of the reasons stated above.
So the real issue is that the "future" for them will be in about 2035. Can you afford to keep one for another 20 years and not ride it to make it an worthwhile investment.
Probably not.

I think the biggest question is will you still be alive in 30years? If like me your in your 60s I don't think your going to
Reap the benefits from owning a classic. :lol:

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:39 pm

AGRO! wrote:
scamb66 wrote:Saw the 990 appear on a list of future collectables recently for all of the reasons stated above.
Probably not.

I think the biggest question is will you still be alive in 30years? If like me your in your 60s I don't think your going to
Reap the benefits from owning a classic. :lol:

Unless owning a classic is the benefit in and of itself :D
I'm BLUE

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:59 am

Hey Drib where's your old Avatar?

AGRO!
Master of the twisties

Postby AGRO! » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:15 am

Now this is a classic :D To bad I sold it :oops:
RG500

Spike_africa
Minimoto racer

Postby Spike_africa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:46 am

Probably not.

I was thinking of that same article, but can't find it to link it.
2007 SD 990
2009 Triumph Street Triple

Return to Hooliganism