..quiet

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
steeeve66
Two wheeled terror

..quiet

Postby steeeve66 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:35 am

I've been away this last year or two, still have my '07 990 but life/work/trackdays etc have meant I've had little time to get out on it.
Having dropped in again I just noted how quiet it is here these days..? Is everyone still here? Who won the whole 1290/990 debate/discussion/squabble..? I had a go on one and, well, didn't think it worth the asking price..
Also I tried the MT10 SP last week; it felt like riding something dreamt up by NASA - do I really want a laptop wired in to my bike making all the decisions for me?
Other stuff I tried: BMW S1000R, '17 R1, KTM GT, Tuono. None moved me to part with the 990 (or my '04 Fazer thou for that matter).

How is everyone?
Superduke 990. FZS Fazer1000. CBR600FS-1. CB500S.

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Re: ..quiet

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:34 pm

hello,

yes it's quiet but still lives ehehe

I suppose the 990 crowd is happy with all the right mods done sucessfuly and the 1290 crowd prefers the facebook apps with the same questions everyday :twisted:

I'm like you, there's good bikes out there, but none as raw as my 05 SD...so I'm keeping with the winning team 8)

Maybe add a touring Pan European or BMW RT for the rides with the misses :oops:
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

dipper
Minimoto racer

Postby dipper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm

if potential new members are having the same carry on i had trying to get registered then no wonder it's quiet. ive been riding superdukes for 3 or 4 years now and only succeeded in getting my account authorised a few weeks ago. can't remember when i first applied but must have been a couple years ago. applications were ignored and then i couldn't apply any longer as i'd ran out of email addresses to use. i understand there's been admin issues and forum spamming issues but without new blood it will gradually fade away

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:38 am

Facebook is what is killing bike forums. It is far more instant and easier to use for photos and vids. However it is shite as a knowledge base as it can't be searched.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah it's quiet.

I was here years ago, came back a few months ago with my 'new' SDR990. I've done a few things to it, posted enthusiastic comments and enthusiastically commented on other threads.

No one replies.

So why fooking bother??

An element of successful forums is getting replies - the only ones who do seem to be the favoured few.

So - from someone who tried and is now over it - bye.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:Yeah it's quiet.

I was here years ago, came back a few months ago with my 'new' SDR990. I've done a few things to it, posted enthusiastic comments and enthusiastically commented on other threads.

No one replies.

So why fooking bother??

An element of successful forums is getting replies - the only ones who do seem to be the favoured few.

So - from someone who tried and is now over it - bye.

Yeah it is sad that SN.net is a shadow of its former self. A lot of regular posters have stopped visiting. I know there is always a turnover of members but we did lose a lot in a very short period. I stopped visiting for over a year when I sold my 990. Only came back when I bought the 1290 earlier this year. I use FB pages far more than this forum though.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:16 am

Comrades: There's a reason nobody replies and the reason is that if we replied to all the dicks that can't read and provide the correct information the first time then we'd be doing it 24x7.

As part of that there are a number of common failures:

The application that just says "Please activate my account" - could be anyone and can't read the instructions.
The application that provides an address that is clearly wrong - like a parking lot.
The application that provides an address that is a business address.
The application that provides an address that seems Ok but is being sent from a different location such as China.
The application where names don't match - it uses somebody else's email address.
The application which somehow doesn't seem right. An international phone call gets "Sorry the number you have called is not connected".
The application where an answering service announces a different name to the applicant - and the number doesn't pick up.
The email that says the active user has forgotten their password. Could we change it? Yes we could if the applicant provided all the correct information however most times this is completely different from the active account. Should we just change it so the rest of us start getting our accounts hacked? After all it was the idiot user that forgot their password not me.
The application where the user cannot remember either their user name or password.
The application where the user has clearly done two or three of the above then gets told their email address is already in use.
It's amazing how many people that have problems ask for a change but are unprepared to provide for example a phone number so we can talk to them. No couldn't do that because it compromises their privacy!! As an aside let me tell potential members that in the modern they have NO privacy. Superduke.Net is the least of their worries.
Even today I notice a thread where there are some parts for sale. It's so interesting that the member includes his email address because the email address we have on file is completely different. So it's ok to publish to the whole world an email address if one is selling parts but keeping an identity secret if just registering.

So this is just an abbreviated list. Yes, already in the past we had a member that took down the whole of the site and then was surprise, surprise was uncontactable.
It'll happen again and when it does it'll be because a mod activated an account in good faith. The majority will suffer because of the few.

Klinky is right. Selling a bike seems to make this forum far less relevant.
Speedfiend is also right in that sometimes post don't receive responses. Unfortunately, the vast majority of members are Leechers rather than Contributors. We can only encourage members to be contributors.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:36 am

There's another problem that is adding to the demise of forums like this which require third party photo hosting.

I'll post it up on a new thread.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:41 am

The ridiculous bickering about 990 v 1290 and whether the 1290 is a "real" Duke doesn't help either. The world of KTM Superduke ownership is a pretty small one to start with. If its going to be tetchy and insular the on-line part of that world is obviously going to get smaller still.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 am

Gimlet wrote:The ridiculous bickering about 990 v 1290 and whether the 1290 is a "real" Duke doesn't help either. The world of KTM Superduke ownership is a pretty small one to start with. If its going to be tetchy and insular the on-line part of that world is obviously going to get smaller still.

It's called 'sense of humor' that should be your next purchase.
That thread was hilarious!!! And since most small-pecker 1290 owners took it seriously, it became even funnier.
The 1290-990 friendly rivalry is the same shit I do w my friends every weekend when I ride. If we are not talking crap about each other's riding abilities, we are doing it about each other's bike. And in my book, that's called male friendship.
When one of my friends buys a jacket or helmet I don't tell them 'that looks so cute on you'. I usually ask if they put another 20 or 30 pounds since the last time I saw 'em. And maybe I'm an insensitive sum-o-bitch, but that's the camaraderie we have amongst us.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

steeeve66
Two wheeled terror

Postby steeeve66 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:20 pm

For my part I thought the 1290/990 'rant' was just a bit of fun, both are amazing bikes. The 990 just happens to be a bit more amazing, that's all...
I don't have a Facebook account, refuse to tweet or Instagram - if i need to be ignored on a digital platform I'm perfectly happy being ignored by email alone. But it's sad to hear members are migrating from SD.net - in the 10 years I've owned my 990 I've found it massively useful and, sometimes, funny as well. Although not always for the right reasons. Maybe the image hosting is part of the problem - I've always found it a fag posting images. Could that not be addressed though?
In any event I'm keeping the 990 and will still be dropping in here from time to time.
Superduke 990. FZS Fazer1000. CBR600FS-1. CB500S.

Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 pm

steeeve66 wrote:For my part I thought the 1290/990 'rant' was just a bit of fun, both are amazing bikes. The 990 just happens to be a bit more amazing, that's all...
I don't have a Facebook account, refuse to tweet or Instagram - if i need to be ignored on a digital platform I'm perfectly happy being ignored by email alone. But it's sad to hear members are migrating from SD.net - in the 10 years I've owned my 990 I've found it massively useful and, sometimes, funny as well. Although not always for the right reasons. Maybe the image hosting is part of the problem - I've always found it a fag posting images. Could that not be addressed though?
In any event I'm keeping the 990 and will still be dropping in here from time to time.

So the reason this site is a pain in the ass is most forums host your images which means they store them. Storing images takes up a massive amount of data, while text does not. SD.NET has the capability to host images but (again this is my opinion) is where we have to decide, do we want to host (store) all of our users images or do we not want to pays due or have to plaster this site with ads for shit data mined out of your recent web history.

I'm not 100% on who is still footing the bill for this forum but it isn't any of us. So we sort of have our hands tied with the web hosting and how things are done in that manner.

I agree that getting new users registered is also a huge pain in the dick but I'd rather have to manually approve people after they send in emails than have to clear out 100+ spam posts a day from bots and other unsavory people trying to commandeer this forum for their own agenda.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get more members in here or spruce up the place, boost moral...anything just post it up. I love this forum and I don't want to see it dwindle to any less than the current population. However if you're leaving because your feeling are hurt over some banter then ohwell. For people like that it is only a matter of when not if.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

dipper
Minimoto racer

Postby dipper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 pm

jmann wrote:Comrades: There's a reason nobody replies and the reason is that if we replied to all the dicks that can't read and provide the correct information the first time then we'd be doing it 24x7.

As part of that there are a number of common failures:

The application that just says "Please activate my account" - could be anyone and can't read the instructions.
The application that provides an address that is clearly wrong - like a parking lot.
The application that provides an address that is a business address.
The application that provides an address that seems Ok but is being sent from a different location such as China.
The application where names don't match - it uses somebody else's email address.
The application which somehow doesn't seem right. An international phone call gets "Sorry the number you have called is not connected".
The application where an answering service announces a different name to the applicant - and the number doesn't pick up.
The email that says the active user has forgotten their password. Could we change it? Yes we could if the applicant provided all the correct information however most times this is completely different from the active account. Should we just change it so the rest of us start getting our accounts hacked? After all it was the idiot user that forgot their password not me.
The application where the user cannot remember either their user name or password.
The application where the user has clearly done two or three of the above then gets told their email address is already in use.
It's amazing how many people that have problems ask for a change but are unprepared to provide for example a phone number so we can talk to them. No couldn't do that because it compromises their privacy!! As an aside let me tell potential members that in the modern they have NO privacy. Superduke.Net is the least of their worries.
Even today I notice a thread where there are some parts for sale. It's so interesting that the member includes his email address because the email address we have on file is completely different. So it's ok to publish to the whole world an email address if one is selling parts but keeping an identity secret if just registering.

So this is just an abbreviated list. Yes, already in the past we had a member that took down the whole of the site and then was surprise, surprise was uncontactable.
It'll happen again and when it does it'll be because a mod activated an account in good faith. The majority will suffer because of the few.

Klinky is right. Selling a bike seems to make this forum far less relevant.
Speedfiend is also right in that sometimes post don't receive responses. Unfortunately, the vast majority of members are Leechers rather than Contributors. We can only encourage members to be contributors.

the application form is very basic. all it asks for is a username, password and email address. it doesn't ask for an address or phone number.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Aphex wrote:
steeeve66 wrote:For my part I thought the 1290/990 'rant' was just a bit of fun, both are amazing bikes. The 990 just happens to be a bit more amazing, that's all...

So the reason this site is a pain in the ass is most forums host your images which means they store them. Storing images takes up a massive amount of data, while text does not. SD.NET has the capability to host images but (again this is my opinion) is where we have to decide, do we want to host (store) all of our users images or do we not want to pays due or have to plaster this site with ads for shit data mined out of your recent web history.

I'm not 100% on who is still footing the bill for this forum but it isn't any of us. So we sort of have our hands tied with the web hosting and how things are done in that manner.

I agree that getting new users registered is also a huge pain in the dick but I'd rather have to manually approve people after they send in emails than have to clear out 100+ spam posts a day from bots and other unsavory people trying to commandeer this forum for their own agenda.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get more members in here or spruce up the place, boost moral...anything just post it up. I love this forum and I don't want to see it dwindle to any less than the current population. However if you're leaving because your feeling are hurt over some banter then ohwell. For people like that it is only a matter of when not if.

If I leave it won't be because of the banter - it'll be because of the lack of it!

As far as hosting pictures go, if I post them via Tapatalk I think they are permanent? I send them direct from my iPhone...
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Kinda left the Forum 2 years ago. Guess there's a lot happened in Interweb since.
Came back after managing to try and buy a 2017 1290SD.
Much of the banter we had "Back in the day ". Was mostly coming from this side of the World.
When we were the only ones with proper 990SDRs (Just about the most useless streetbike I have owned/ridden.IMHO :wink: ).
We rabbited on about how we could do this and that with them.
That's all been done! The new 1290 is AFAIAA. The perfect V twin all round.
So Hee Haw! To come on and yap about.

UH OH! I bought a girlie Orange one.(like the ones that owned "Pikes Peak").

That, should encourage some kick back. :roll:
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

jmann

Postby jmann » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:53 am

dipper wrote:
the application form is very basic. all it asks for is a username, password and email address. it doesn't ask for an address or phone number.

Indeed comrade, that's registration along with the 300-400 fake registrations per day from bots Etc. Activation is the second step which is described here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6931

It is included as a sticky for unregistered users to see.

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:04 pm

fakujak72 wrote:Kinda left the Forum 2 years ago. Guess there's a lot happened in Interweb since.
Came back after managing to try and buy a 2017 1290SD.
Much of the banter we had "Back in the day ". Was mostly coming from this side of the World.
When we were the only ones with proper 990SDRs (Just about the most useless streetbike I have owned/ridden.IMHO :wink: ).
We rabbited on about how we could do this and that with them.
That's all been done! The new 1290 is AFAIAA. The perfect V twin all round.
So Hee Haw! To come on and yap about.

UH OH! I bought a girlie Orange one.(like the ones that owned "Pikes Peak").

That, should encourage some kick back. :roll:

But just think how quick the guy who owned "Pikes Peak" could have been on the faster black one :lol:

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm

I have noticed it dwindle a fair bit the last year. I for one mostly only browse now.

With the new bike coming long, there was a lot of the typical new launch crowd (its new I must have it, oh there's something newer, must get that) who joined and didn't really contribute much.

I've noticed that there hasn't been as much in the way of improving the bike, bar changing the exhaust, which was a lot of what kept the old bike alive. But all that's been done now, so any newbies on the 990 have all their problems logged already, which is why I only see the TuneECU threads being used by them.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:58 pm

jmann wrote:
dipper wrote:

Indeed comrade, that's registration along with the 300-400 fake registrations per day from bots Etc. Activation is the second step which is described here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6931

It is included as a sticky for unregistered users to see.

Just checked my Application email.
It included all the required info. It took a week to be activated (Well 2 hours after a chasing email)

I feel for you having to put up with 300-400 fake registrations per day, but as a newbie you don't want to come across as a dick hassling the admins before you've started, but waiting a week to be activated could well put some people completly off for ever.

Also, being told in your welcome thread basically "please don't disturb us by asking something - just do a search" and you wonder why this place is quiet?

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Not easy to keep ppl for over 10 years talking about the same bike, but we did it, even with ex-owners hanging around to help fellow users.

What happened is that the 1290 crowd didn't replace all the action packed 990 ppl.

I do agree that the access is not easy/automatic these days and ppl just want a quick answer and not a "hangout place".

The 1290 facebook group is not linked to our forum and has lot's off ppl sharing their nice ktm's and off course no problem going over and over the same issue, here it goes against good practices to fill the forum with 25 topics about the same issue when a simple search gives the right answer :roll:
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Stu990 wrote:
Also, being told in your welcome thread basically "please don't disturb us by asking something - just do a search" and you wonder why this place is quiet?

My issue with this is: Never before in history has it been easier to gain knowledge and information. Yet for some reason having the internet in your pocket with limitless knowledge has made people exceedingly lazy. So instead of researching a topic and understanding it as whole, people want to put in minimal effort by posting up a question and hoping the people that have done the legwork will spoon feed it to them. However the issue with that is now they have tidbits of knowledge but they still don't actually understand it.

It's like algebra, there are a ton of ways to get the correct answer but you have to show your work to show you actually understand the concept. It's very important when it comes to motorcycles since something as simple as incorrect torque values can kill you, let alone the people that don't read up on TUNE ECU and just start messing with it without backing up their stock maps.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 am

Comrades: As far as I'm concerned the biggest reason it has been so quiet is European emissions policy and KTM cow-towing to that policy by locking up the ECU on the new bikes and making modifications nigh on impossible. The 990 had a fairly open system and that gave rise to a whole lot of innovation. KTM actually helped people that wanted to race. "Ready to Race" doesn't apply to the current bikes. So if the only thread that gets any traction is about how it sounds rather than how it goes it is no wonder that things are quiet.

The reason this forum has been so good is because it was a great source of information about the old bikes. For the current bikes it is likely to degenerate into a "known problem" forum.

I have great admiration for those few individuals (you know who you are) that submit though provoking theses, that I consistently see helping other members, and even those that act like a cunt just to stir up a bit of a fuss.

jmann

Postby jmann » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:01 am

Stu990 wrote:

Well it wasn't me that did it (suggest using the Search button) but maybe asking in your very first post how one puts more oil into a 990 wasn't the smartest thing to do. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 am

jmann wrote:
Stu990 wrote:

Well it wasn't me that did it (suggest using the Search button) but maybe asking in your very first post how one puts more oil into a 990 wasn't the smartest thing to do. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Exactly my point.

The KTM 990 is like none of the at least 12 other bikes I've had before from Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki, Triumph and 2 from KTM!

The 990 is a ten year old bike, so the chances of it coming with an owners manual when you buy it are remote.

Just what search term should I have come up with to be able to find an answer of "how to fill the oil"? because that just gives you pages of irrelevance.

Use the search seems to be the single most commonly used phrases here, yet no one who knows actually performs a search and presents the answer so that the newbie will know what to do next time, they'll just know not to bother asking.

But it's fine, all you old hands are happy enough on your own and the newbie's can f*ck off.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Stu990 wrote:But it's fine, all you old hands are happy enough on your own and the newbie's can f*ck off.

Awe cmon don't be like that, we love new forum members.

Stu990 wrote:Use the search seems to be the single most commonly used phrases here, yet no one who knows actually performs a search and presents the answer so that the newbie will know what to do next time, they'll just know not to bother asking.

So lets take your issue for example. I hit the search button and type in "oil change" I get 70 pages of results. Now I know that how to change the oil on a 990 probably hasn't been talked about in 2017, or 2016, or 2015, or hell it probably hasn't been talked about since prior to 2010 so you can skip to page 70 and work your way to the present date to find information that old.

But you know what the worst part is Stu990? If you would have just taken the time to glance over the "MUST READ/EPIC THREADS LIST." thread you wouldn't have even had to search becuase how to do an oil change is listed in that thread along with links to all the workshop manuals and owners manual.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16897

So please before you get upset with us you have to ask yourself...did you even try?

Me so Hoony.

Next

Return to Hooliganism