..quiet

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
fakujak72
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: East Lothian. Scotland

Re: ..quiet

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 pm

\just bought a new "I love you " Washing machine"LC8" motor. KTM. "Beast". "1290R""machine",

WTF. Have no recollection of posting this :oops:

Still :D
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

User avatar
jambox
Trackday hero
 
Posts: 2013
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: Perth. The shite cold one, not the decent warm one

Re: ..quiet

Postby jambox » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:46 pm

fakujak72 wrote:\just bought a new "I love you " Washing machine"LC8" motor. KTM. "Beast". "1290R""machine",

WTF. Have no recollection of posting this :oops:

Still :D

Good to see you're still kicking around here FUJ, and still on the sauce lol
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

User avatar
scamb66
moderator
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: ..quiet

Postby scamb66 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

fakujak72 wrote:\just bought a new "I love you " Washing machine"LC8" motor. KTM. "Beast". "1290R""machine",

WTF. Have no recollection of posting this :oops:

Still :D

Would think you would have trouble recalling anything. :roll:
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

User avatar
WarpedRotor
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Re: ..quiet

Postby WarpedRotor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:16 pm

what? don't let it die, I just got here! :mrgreen:

CrackShotDave
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Re: Tunecu cable in Perth

Postby CrackShotDave » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am

I have to admit I'm quite disappointed in these super duke forums... i was in the R1 forum and speed triple and Everyone was so helpful........ here the answer is always look at this threat that is 50 years old and 3 million pages long... like anyone is gonna answer you.....

Shame because it's the only thing i dont like about the bike....

User avatar
Sarasota_Steve
moderator
 
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL, USA

Re: I'm a whiny millenial and I'm always right and ...

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:08 pm

CrackShotDave wrote:I have to admit I'm quite disappointed in these super duke forums... i was in the R1 forum and speed triple and Everyone was so helpful........ here the answer is always look at this threat that is 50 years old and 3 million pages long... like anyone is gonna answer you.....

Shame because it's the only thing i dont like about the bike....


Dear CrackShotDave,

That was not the right place to post your disappointment with the forum. That was a TuneECU needed cable thread (not threat). If you don't have a TuneECU cable to lend, please don't post there.

2nd. Back in 1968, when you claim the SuperDuke forum started, things were ... oh so right, The SD made 30HP, it weighed 600lbs and the brake pads were made out of wood. There were many discussions in here about fir or oak pad material. Very heated topic.

3rd. You have a 1290. It's only been around since 2014, so there are questions, projects, modifications for your bike that have been addressed before, but many could be new and interesting. If you have something to ad to the forum, GREAT!. If you need to learn something, its always better to do some research, even if its just to ask an informed question. You could say you were reading thread "Insert interesting thread here" and say you did not get "THAT" part and please explain further.

4th. Do you know the reason we have many pages answering the same question. Its because dickheads (Not calling you a dickhead) ask the same question over and over and good knowledgeable members answer it time and time again. That's why. If a thread is long, READ IT. You may find some interesting reading. Unless you are too busy checking Instagram, Facebook, Tinder and Grinder at the same time and have no time to search for information on the bike you claim you love.

5th. I'm not posting this as a moderator. I'm just an opinionated asshole and I wanted to express my disappointment with people generally bitching and not contributing anything to the forum.

6th. I'm also a member of a few Facebook Superduke groups and I see the same questions asked daily. It seems like people are too stupid to read the answers given previously or just demand an answer now for their unique question that has been asked before. I get tired of reading a question in facebook, coming to SD.net, SEARCHING, copy/pasting the link to facebook and calling it a day. The huge advantage of a forum is that its a searchable database. Things do not disappear like in social media.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:08 am
Location: Ojai, CA

Re: ..quiet

Postby REDTALE2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Well said, Steve.
2014 1290 81K miles

User avatar
Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: ..quiet

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:38 pm

CrackShotDave wrote:I have to admit I'm quite disappointed in these super duke forums... i was in the R1 forum and speed triple and Everyone was so helpful........ here the answer is always look at this threat that is 50 years old and 3 million pages long... like anyone is gonna answer you.....

Shame because it's the only thing i dont like about the bike....


Steve's right!

The 1290 have been around for 4 years and with the facebook around the forum isn't as popular as before, so maybe we are not as many answering the questions an in the R1 Forum, and the few are always the same and get tired to write the same answers again and again making the forum database heavy and not better than before.

The other thing is that the 990's are around for 13 years and the first 7/8 years were the main interest in changes and problems. Many of the persons who helped us fixing and upgrading then have moved on so reading old topics is better then waiting for them to come back to help you just because reading old topics makes you sad.

Shame still that you feel like that, because SD.Net is a great thing that I like about the superduke!

That's why 10 years after I'm still around. 8)
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)
Image

User avatar
bic_bicknell
moderator
 
Posts: 3829
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:11 am
Location: Bristol

Re: ..quiet

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:34 pm

I was luck enough to join Superduke.net in 2007 when the new '07 model came out and there was just a MASSIVE vibe on here. The first generation model had loads of fans and the work that had been done to improve and upgrade that first bike had reached it's Zenith but almost of the learning was transferable to the newer model. There was a great buzz and much sharing of information and swapping ideas and trying new things out. Some of the characters on here were truly legends - I know the ones who are still here will remember them all!

I spent hours back reading all the threads on engine and chassis mods and gradually built up my own knowledge from talking with these guys, trying it out for myself and in-turn sharing that with other new members.

IMO the main problem with the new generation of members and the main reason why this forum has become less dynamic is because the new 1290 and the people who buy these bikes seem far less interested in genuinely modding them and trying to improve their performance, This is, of course, because they are already pretty awesome bikes and there is probably far less to add to them to make them better. Putting on KTM official accessories is not modding them by the way, it's just adding a load of after- market parts. Putting on rim tape is not modding them it's just adding on a load of crap. Adding a sticker kit isn't modding them either.

I haven't witnessed anything like the level of involvement or comradeship or sharing of useful knowledge on here from the 1290 owners in the last two years as there was with the 990 crowd. Any bike forum is only as good as its members and they are only as good as the kind of bike people they are.

Just saying.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

User avatar
jmann
moderator
 
Posts: 1781
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:28 am
Location: Sunny Adelaide, Australia

Re: ..quiet

Postby jmann » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:35 am

Comrade: As a moderator I have thought long and hard about my response to your post. Indeed, as a moderator I felt compelled to sleep on it and tone down my response. Having slept on it and thought about how it was in the old days in terms of comradeship and characters who's provocative posts reflected the hooliganism of the bike and the type of owners they were, I've concluded that I have a right to respond as a simple member (rather than as a moderator) and to call it the way I see it.

As such:

If you don't like the forum then just fook off back to Facebook and the IL4 crowd!!!

User avatar
Willh
Wheelie king
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:41 am
Location: Quebec, Canada

Re: ..quiet

Postby Willh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 am

:lol: :lol:
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

User avatar
Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: ..quiet

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 am

That's another option, we're all big boys around here :lol:

With spring coming out maybe it'll be solved by riding more 8)
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)
Image

User avatar
Aphex
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: ..quiet

Postby Aphex » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Truly sorry we couldn't live up to your expectations of what a forum should be.

I can see where you might be a bit dejected that no one answered your post back in February: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27729&p=335752#p335752

However you couldn't even bothered to post it in the 1290 section of that forum.

I say this as a member of the forum and nothing else:

Your 8 posts have truly set the bar for what all forum contributors should aspire to be.

I apologize if I seem bitter, I just feel that most of the new members believe they're owed answers without ever contributing anything of there own. This is a repository for information, yes. However it's also a bit of a social place to hang out, talk to like minded people that enjoy the same bike you do, learn about other members activities and form relationships with people you may never have interacted with outside of motorcycling.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

User avatar
SDSmurf
Wheelie king
 
Posts: 1483
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:44 pm
Location: Centurion, South Africa

Re: ..quiet

Postby SDSmurf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:01 pm

And maybe some of these responses are also why this place is so quiet nowadays.............
The SD needs corners like I need red meat.

User avatar
Aphex
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: ..quiet

Postby Aphex » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:30 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure if he wants a hug when he tells us how disappointed he is...
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

CrackShotDave
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm

Re: ..quiet

Postby CrackShotDave » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:23 am

Aphex wrote:Truly sorry we couldn't live up to your expectations of what a forum should be.

I can see where you might be a bit dejected that no one answered your post back in February: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27729&p=335752#p335752

However you couldn't even bothered to post it in the 1290 section of that forum.

I say this as a member of the forum and nothing else:

Your 8 posts have truly set the bar for what all forum contributors should aspire to be.

I apologize if I seem bitter, I just feel that most of the new members believe they're owed answers without ever contributing anything of there own. This is a repository for information, yes. However it's also a bit of a social place to hang out, talk to like minded people that enjoy the same bike you do, learn about other members activities and form relationships with people you may never have interacted with outside of motorcycling.


Certainly i do not believe i am owed anything!!!! looks like i have made some mistakes and guess what they all went ignored.... hmmm a simple "you have posted this in the wrong section" would do...

It seems to me and many many others on here that the long time members like to abuse and belittle new members or of course ignore them.... this is what makes a great forum yea?? hahaha

as i said before i have been a member of other forums and at first i made mistakes, bear in mind these forums are used world wide so the way things are done is always different.
I was not treated like a child i was respected as a normal person would have given respect to another.

If you need to act up to people to impress the other members is that a good community?? Shame...

I thought these forums were here so people could connect, share valuable information, meet up and generally chat and have a good time..... hmmmmm

User avatar
Aphex
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1962
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: ..quiet

Postby Aphex » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:25 pm

CrackShotDave wrote:
Certainly i do not believe i am owed anything!!!! looks like i have made some mistakes and guess what they all went ignored.... hmmm a simple "you have posted this in the wrong section" would do...

It seems to me and many many others on here that the long time members like to abuse and belittle new members or of course ignore them.... this is what makes a great forum yea?? hahaha

as i said before i have been a member of other forums and at first i made mistakes, bear in mind these forums are used world wide so the way things are done is always different.
I was not treated like a child i was respected as a normal person would have given respect to another.

If you need to act up to people to impress the other members is that a good community?? Shame...

I thought these forums were here so people could connect, share valuable information, meet up and generally chat and have a good time..... hmmmmm



We don't make a habit of belittling anyone. Most of the long time members have been here for 10 years and we'd like to have another 10 years of members.

Most of the long time members also own 990's and everything for the 990 has been broken, fixed, improved and engineered by some very very smart people that have came and gone on this forum. So they (we?) aren't much help when it comes to 1290 stuff and it seems like most of the new members with 1290 only have questions and not answers. We can't really do anything about that.

Most of the shit that gets slung here is just idle banter with no teeth. It used to be pretty enjoyable.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

User avatar
scamb66
moderator
 
Posts: 2444
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:59 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: ..quiet

Postby scamb66 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:04 pm

I think as the 1290 is starting to age and get a bit cheaper that guys will start to play with them a little more and hopefully contribute to this forum.
We had a few early adapters like "kevxtx" and "abc" who put a lot into there 1290s and were happy to contribute what they learnt.
Fact is the 1290 only really needs a few minor mods to satisfy most peoples needs, its a really good bike overall.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

User avatar
RichUK
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:46 pm
Location: England

Re: ..quiet

Postby RichUK » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:04 pm

With a very poor warranty... at least in US anyway.

I'm still very happy with my 990 but I am starting to wonder about the 1290, the 1st gen's will be entering my price bracket soon but there is a lot of competition at that level.

This place is quiet though, and I find the "old guard" to be very rude... for example I posted almost 1 hour ago and NO ONE has got back to me yet! :shock:

:mrgreen:

Previous

Return to Hooliganism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests