Front brakes locked up.

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Aphex
Site Admin

Front brakes locked up.

Postby Aphex » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:57 pm

It seems when it rains it pours.

So I was supposed to go ride today so I zip tied my brake lever all the way to the bar.

I took off this morning, doing 80mph down an empty side road and I felt the front end starting to load up. I pulled the clutch in a bit and the front end really dove down, so I let the clutch back out and got on the gas hard the ass end started to lift up and I was able to over come the grip of the front tyre and push it down the road til I could safely and squiggly come to a stop.

I think this is just because the pads were tight against the rotor and when I took off they fused to it? My lever was rock hard and I had to wait about 15 minutes til the brakes let me move the bike.

The confusing thing is this isnt the first time I've zip tied the lever but this is the first time the brakes locked, I did nothing different. :?: :shock:
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Re: Front brakes locked up.

Postby REDTALE2000 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Ape Hex,
The only reason brakes lock up like that is that the master cylinder piston isn't fully retracting.
There's a variety of ways for that to happen, like aftermarket levers that don't have quite the correct geometry.
Or the piston itself might jammed in its bore. In any case, you should always be able to push fluid up into the reservoir by forcing the pads/pistons into the calipers. If you can't do that, then you need to figure out why the piston isn't retracting. Do not ride again until you figure that out or you'll likely be on yer head.
2014 1290 73K miles

RyanD
Minimoto racer

Postby RyanD » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 am

Why did you zip tie the lever before riding? Does your bike make that awful front wheel groaning noise? I know some people have attributed that noise to pistons that aren't fully retracting.. Please let us know what you find out. Glad you were able to safely get the bike to a stop.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:13 am

REDTALE2000 wrote:Ape Hex,
The only reason brakes lock up like that is that the master cylinder piston isn't fully retracting.
There's a variety of ways for that to happen, like aftermarket levers that don't have quite the correct geometry.
Or the piston itself might jammed in its bore. In any case, you should always be able to push fluid up into the reservoir by forcing the pads/pistons into the calipers. If you can't do that, then you need to figure out why the piston isn't retracting. Do not ride again until you figure that out or you'll likely be on yer head.

So as soon as I pulled my calipers I could tell the return was being blocked because I could not push the pistons back in at all! So I removed the lever and i was able to push the pistons back in with my fingers.

I removed the pads, pumped the lever a couple times to expose more piston and cleaned them thoroughly with a toothbrush and warm soapy water then installed some Vesrah pads.

so to make sure it doesn't happen again I've shortened the push rod that sits between the lever and the MC.

RyanD wrote:Why did you zip tie the lever before riding? Does your bike make that awful front wheel groaning noise? I know some people have attributed that noise to pistons that aren't fully retracting.. Please let us know what you find out. Glad you were able to safely get the bike to a stop.

My lever was a little soft, so I zip tied it on the furthest setting and left it over night to get any air bubbles worked to the top.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Are you running the stock levers?
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:23 am

SpeedyR wrote:Are you running the stock levers?

No, I'm running some ebay specials. However I think I just compressed the lever too much.

Me so Hoony.

Return to Hooliganism