New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
THIRDEYE
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 am

New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby THIRDEYE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello everyone.

After spending the last 2.5 years without a bike, I decided it was time to find another. Picked up a used 08 990R and it ran great at the test ride, though showed signs of neglect (nearly black clutch fluid). Got it home ~20 miles without a hiccup. I decided to take it out later that night and it started to idle very roughly and would stall at several lights before I was able to get it home.

I took it to a highly rated KTM dealer to have them check it out and do some maintenance. Their initial diagnosis was because of the "full" exhaust system (Remus slip on) and aftermarket air filter (Moto Hooligan air box), it was not running optimally and was likely the reason it would stall. I don't really buy it... but had the shop change out the plugs, check valves, test battery, flush brake/clutch fluids, and a few other minor checks. The bike did run significantly better for the next 100 miles and the dealer did mention the battery connection was loose, which I think is the most likely culprit of the bike stalling when I'm stopped and start letting the clutch out in 1st. Anyhow, it stalled on me again after the initial warm up. It seems to be less stall prone after the bike is COMPLETELY warmed up.

Anyone have suggestions on what else to look out for? The seller did include a sort of tuning plug/cable and I did a bit of research on Tune ECU, but will need to look into it more. Is there an idle adjuster?


TLDR: bought used bike. Idles rough and stalls. Dealer blames aftermarket exhaust and air filter.
Last edited by THIRDEYE on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby No. 47 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Where are you based?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

THIRDEYE
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 am

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby THIRDEYE » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 pm

No. 47 wrote:Where are you based?


Southern California. Long Beach to be exact.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: East Lothian. Scotland

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 am

Try trimming the HTs and either changing the suppressors Or at least spraying them with an Anti H2O.

Even in Cal.

The change in temp between Night and Day causes moisture build up.

Have had similar problems with my 690 but more to do with localised weather as opposed to climate :wink:
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

User avatar
Aphex
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:08 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 am

Can't help much but hello from another so cal SD rider.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby No. 47 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:32 am

There are many threads on here re stalling and it could be any number of issues.

Any fault codes (flashing FI light)? Read up on TuneECU, get it hooked up and check TPS voltage. Search BGC here and clean, dry and pack it with diaelectric grease. Check clutch switch under clutch lever (download Rebuild manusl on here re procedure). Check sidestand switch (ditto).

Others will chime in with other possible causes that I can't remember off top of my head.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 am
Location: South Australia

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby speedfiend41 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:41 pm

Does it have the right map for those engine mods? Check the tuneecu thread...
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

THIRDEYE
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 am

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby THIRDEYE » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 am

Appreciate all the input.
After another 100 miles or so, my bike just wouldn't start. It would get one solid crank and gauge would reset.
Read through a bunch of pages here... went over cables and connectors, had the battery charged and tested, everything appeared to be fine. I thought I'd replace the battery anyway, but the thought of pissing away almost $200 on a Yuasa after being told my old battery was fine would've been even more upsetting. I threw in the towel and had a different local shop check it out. From some of the threads here, I thought it might be regulator rectifier. The shop called me back and said it's the battery... :roll:
Sure enough... The SDR fires up like new.

Now my only hesitation is the shop threw in a lithium battery, even though I told them to put in a Yuasa. I've seen some less than stellar reviews from some members here with the Shorai and the one installed in my bike is a brand I've never heard of. After a day, I've got no complaints, but I'm worried about it's reliability or melting.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Los Alamos, Ca

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby DribbleDuke » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 am

I'd be worried too. I am not convinced of any other battery than the original Yuasa. I would go back and have them install the correct battery.
I'm BLUE

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby No. 47 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:26 am

Buy the OE Yuasa, same battery fitted to ST1300 and other models, from a Honda dealer - much cheaper than KTM.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

User avatar
Sarasota_Steve
moderator
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL, USA

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 pm

I have a shorai in my SDR 990. I’ve hade it for 2 years and never an issue. I live in Florida where the low winter temps are non existent. Bic in the uk had issues I think related to cold weather.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

User avatar
nampus
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby nampus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:51 pm

I've been using a shorai battery for over three years, it has never let me down. It's never been on a charger, my bike isn't used during the winter months, sometimes not started for four months, and still starts effortlessly on the shorai battery.

THIRDEYE
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 am

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby THIRDEYE » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:07 pm

Well I'm in Southern CA, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and give it a try for a month.

I am coming into another problem now... the bike easily overheats if I'm not constantly moving. I'm guessing water pump needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

This was my dream bike when it first came out and it has been growing on me more and more with each ride... but man... it's getting to be a money pit. I went into it knowing it had been neglected a bit, but I'll have already spent over $1,000 soon

User avatar
No. 47
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 2823
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:14 pm
Location: London and Kent

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby No. 47 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Possibly water pump but there would be other symptoms - check fan first.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Los Alamos, Ca

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby DribbleDuke » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:31 pm

THIRDEYE wrote:Well I'm in Southern CA, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and give it a try for a month.

I am coming into another problem now... the bike easily overheats if I'm not constantly moving. I'm guessing water pump needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

This was my dream bike when it first came out and it has been growing on me more and more with each ride... but man... it's getting to be a money pit. I went into it knowing it had been neglected a bit, but I'll have already spent over $1,000 soon

Yes you are correct about the pit part.. Does the fan kick on? there was a service bulletin about an erroneous signal from cross talk between wires from the temp gauge and some other wire. I had-have the same condition and after seeing that the engine is indeed operating at correct temp and not actually running hot as indicated on the gauge I simply ignore it and have not had any issues except for the nervousness of wondering if the signal is correct or not. A good indication of this is seeing if the fan is running, if not just disregard and ride on. You will be spending your time and money on soooo many other items that you'll be damned to let something as frivolous as a gauge slow you down. Chances are you'll be replacing the whole cluster next month anyway. You might try burping the system as at least it's free and makes you feel like you did something. Good luck and may I suggest you do what most others on this site do, buy another bike that you can actually ride on a regular basis and keep the SD for diagnosis and mechanical dexterity exercise.
I'm BLUE

THIRDEYE
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:28 am

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby THIRDEYE » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 pm

DribbleDuke wrote:
THIRDEYE wrote:Well I'm in Southern CA, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and give it a try for a month.

I am coming into another problem now... the bike easily overheats if I'm not constantly moving. I'm guessing water pump needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

This was my dream bike when it first came out and it has been growing on me more and more with each ride... but man... it's getting to be a money pit. I went into it knowing it had been neglected a bit, but I'll have already spent over $1,000 soon

Yes you are correct about the pit part.. Does the fan kick on? there was a service bulletin about an erroneous signal from cross talk between wires from the temp gauge and some other wire. I had-have the same condition and after seeing that the engine is indeed operating at correct temp and not actually running hot as indicated on the gauge I simply ignore it and have not had any issues except for the nervousness of wondering if the signal is correct or not. A good indication of this is seeing if the fan is running, if not just disregard and ride on. You will be spending your time and money on soooo many other items that you'll be damned to let something as frivolous as a gauge slow you down. Chances are you'll be replacing the whole cluster next month anyway. You might try burping the system as at least it's free and makes you feel like you did something. Good luck and may I suggest you do what most others on this site do, buy another bike that you can actually ride on a regular basis and keep the SD for diagnosis and mechanical dexterity exercise.


LOL
ouch... not very confidence inspiring.
After being without a bike for 2 years, I was wanting to get another bike to commute 2-3 times a week and maybe get back into track days. It's already left me stranded a couple times.
The initial plan was to get a Triumph Speed Triple for $4-5K, never really considering the KTM because I was seeing the 08 990 SDR going for $9K for a clean example and $7K for a salvaged one. Found the 990 SDR that fit my budget, albeit more miles than I'd like, but it seemed to be in significantly better condition than the Triumph STs I checked out. I thought I'd enjoy the KTM for a year and get the bike I really wanted from the start... Yamaha XSR900. Only a month in and I'm already thinking about putting it up for sale as soon as I get this sorted out.

User avatar
Motogoon
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:53 am
Location: NEW Zealand

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby Motogoon » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:18 am

Harsh but kind of true words about things needing constant attention.

At least it's a fairly easy bike to work on but you kind of need to do it yourself or the labour costs will end up horrific.

My last one would definitely get super hot real fast in summer if I was stuck in a queue, to the point where I would just turn it off and re-start it when I had to move. Nothing wrong with it, was just a quirk of the bike.

Haven't had a summer on my new one yet but presume it will do the same.

Which brings me to my next point - this is my 3rd 990 Superduke because the last 2 I had so many little problems I got pissed off and sold them. However none of the bikes I replaced them with measured up to it as a pure fun road bike. So I would say before you sell it definitely test ride what you want to replace it with and see if it measures up.

Sadly though you sometimes you have to go for the less exciting bike to get that reliability.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:53 am
Location: Los Alamos, Ca

Re: New 990 SDR owner - bike stalling

Postby DribbleDuke » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 am

THIRDEYE wrote:
DribbleDuke wrote:
THIRDEYE wrote:Well I'm in Southern CA, so I'm just gonna cross my fingers and give it a try for a month.

I am coming into another problem now... the bike easily overheats if I'm not constantly moving. I'm guessing water pump needs to be replaced/rebuilt?

This was my dream bike when it first came out and it has been growing on me more and more with each ride... but man... it's getting to be a money pit. I went into it knowing it had been neglected a bit, but I'll have already spent over $1,000 soon

Yes you are correct about the pit part.. Does the fan kick on? there was a service bulletin about an erroneous signal from cross talk between wires from the temp gauge and some other wire. I had-have the same condition and after seeing that the engine is indeed operating at correct temp and not actually running hot as indicated on the gauge I simply ignore it and have not had any issues except for the nervousness of wondering if the signal is correct or not. A good indication of this is seeing if the fan is running, if not just disregard and ride on. You will be spending your time and money on soooo many other items that you'll be damned to let something as frivolous as a gauge slow you down. Chances are you'll be replacing the whole cluster next month anyway. You might try burping the system as at least it's free and makes you feel like you did something. Good luck and may I suggest you do what most others on this site do, buy another bike that you can actually ride on a regular basis and keep the SD for diagnosis and mechanical dexterity exercise.


LOL
ouch... not very confidence inspiring.
After being without a bike for 2 years, I was wanting to get another bike to commute 2-3 times a week and maybe get back into track days. It's already left me stranded a couple times.
The initial plan was to get a Triumph Speed Triple for $4-5K, never really considering the KTM because I was seeing the 08 990 SDR going for $9K for a clean example and $7K for a salvaged one. Found the 990 SDR that fit my budget, albeit more miles than I'd like, but it seemed to be in significantly better condition than the Triumph STs I checked out. I thought I'd enjoy the KTM for a year and get the bike I really wanted from the start... Yamaha XSR900. Only a month in and I'm already thinking about putting it up for sale as soon as I get this sorted out.

The part about enjoying the bike for a year is where you went terribly wrong. The original owner was the only one who was going to have that happen for them. It is also a 50/50 proposition that that even took place. I think they came with a one year warranty and as such one could speculate that one half of the first year the bike spent its time in a repair shop with tattooed mechanics scratching their heads over it. You can bet that most of the people on this site will agree that one should own at least one SD throughout their bike history. You can also bet that the few that have owned more than one are masochistic or deranged in some other matter. As a matter of fact there are many on this site ,that still post on a regular basis that have much earlier realised the error of their ways and abandoned any ownership and or future ownership of a SuperDuke. It seems to derive it's name from that which it is Super the day you bought it and Super the day you made it disappear, however that event occurred . One could bet that the last poster, it appears to be Motogoon has three things going for him-her. One he-she has another reliable motorcycle that is used for more miles than the SD, two, has a stubburn streak and three found an abandoned SD on the side of the road and took it home as a dust collector in the back of the shop to remind him-her not to delve into such foolishness again.
All that I am reading in these last posts is I see a Triumph in someones future. An SD sounds like a disease and we all know what a triumph is, its the day you suckered someone into taking that disease off your hands :shock:
I'm BLUE


Return to Hooliganism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests