Motohooligan filter care?

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Motohooligan filter care?

Postby RichUK » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:56 am

Just wondering what the general guideline is for cleaning the K&N filter that these use, normal road use... so roughly how many miles between cleans?

Also is there a disposable alternative filter that fits?

Sarasota_Steve

Re: Motohooligan filter care?

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 am

K&N claims the filter does not need to be cleaned for 50k mikes or more.
See FAQ in the www.knfilters.com site
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:49 am

Depends on conditons, dusty = more often obviously. I clean my Rottwieller every 7500kms (a hangover from my enduro days where you clean it each ride).
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 am

Sarasota_Steve wrote:K&N claims the filter does not need to be cleaned for 50k mikes or more.
See FAQ in the http://www.knfilters.com site

I could never really figure that one out. IMO shouldn't it be about the same as a paper filter as the same amount of (dirty) air passes through the filter or throttle bodies regardless of what's in the way. I know that a gauze type (K&N) filter will hold more dirt and still let considerably more air through than a paper filter that would clog or restrict air flow but a lot of dirt and contaminants are still in the filter hence being more restrictive than it should or could be without the dirt. Best performance is what most riders buy them for so why not clean the filter on the same timeline as a paper filter and keep the benefits of why you bought it in the first place. As mentioned by Dukenukem999 that he cleaned his after every enduro ride and I'm sure so the next ride he had all of the performance the filter offered new and clean. Just saying. I clean or inspect my gauze type filter like any type filter on a regular basis and if it looks or is dirty then it's on to doing one of the jobs I hate the most on a motorcycle.....CLEANING GAUZE OR FOAM OIL WETTED AIR FILTERS :cry: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:36 am

Yeh, I'm not buying their claimed 50k miles either. :mrgreen:

I have a quick look at the air filter whenever the side panels are off (i can just see the front/sides of it) but I haven't yet removed the fuel tank for fear of it ballooning like a self inflating life raft, and not fitting again. :D

Return to Hooliganism