Not what you want to see after commuting 45 miles @ 80mph.

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Aphex
Site Admin

Not what you want to see after commuting 45 miles @ 80mph.

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Bike felt a little loose near the end of my commute. I do a wheelie near my destination and almost eat shit. It felt like I hit a wet spot but it was the axel slamming into the back of my adjustment slot now that the adjuster block was gone.

Anyone have a spare adjuster block? I think I need a new rear rotor too if anyone has one.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

gotswap
Two wheeled terror

Re: Not what you want to see after commuting 45 miles @ 80mp

Postby gotswap » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm

The worlds first rear steer KTM!!! I bet that puckered the cheeks a bit :)
2007 SD, Sold
2015 SDR, loving every minute!

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Must have been a code Brown :lol:

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Feck dude. Weird shit happens to KTM's.

I bet No. 47 has a spare adjuster and he's willing to ship it to the US for free. :)
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:30 pm

If I did, I would but 'fraid not - "........felt a little loose".....................?!?!?!?!!??!
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:02 pm

Squeezed so hard I popped a hemmi lol.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

NolaNomad
Two wheeled terror

Postby NolaNomad » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 pm

BTW whats the torque spec on that rear axel nut?
"satisfaction is the death of desire"

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 pm

I believe it was 66ft lbs.

Me so Hoony.

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:56 pm

NolaNomad wrote:BTW whats the torque spec on that rear axel nut?

Tight enough that it won't come loose!! Far out, you could've been in real strife there!
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 am

A lot of rear brake use during your commute?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:35 am

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:A lot of rear brake use during your commute?

No my commutes are pretty smooth 90% super slab. I just get on and split the whole way so I don't brake much.

Me so Hoony.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Well I think I'm also going to swap the rear tyre, looks like the chain guard and possibly my brand new fooking chain with less than 100 miles tore into the tyre when it went caddywhompus.

Would you guys ride on this? I just don't have confidence in it for hard lefts. I could just it just to commute but then I wouldn't be able to do any canyon or track days until this tyre is dead.

Me so Hoony.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:56 pm

It's a bit like a cut slick.... :shock:
You'd probably be ok on it for normal street use, but I wouldn't use it for a trackday (unless it was damp)... at the end of the day the tyres are what keep you shiny-side-up so you may have to take a deep breath and change that tyre. You could put it on eBay, some idiot would buy it and as long as your ad stated the full damage to it, you wouldn't be liable for any misfortune befalling said idiot. The pain of sacrificing an otherwise decent tyre can be mitigated by thinking what could have happened after your spindle nut went AWOL. I'd put it down to a very lucky escape. Did you buy a lottery ticket that day?
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Deep down I think you already answered your question by asking the question. I'd replace it and then either safety wire the axle nut or at the least flip the nut to the sprocket side and use a little thread locker. At one point in KTM dirt bikes this was a problem of either coming loose or falling off due to disc and caliper heat from really heavy braking expanding the aluminium nut. aluminium expands three times faster than steel as you know. When it happened on the KTM dirt bikes to you once, then you just flipped the aluminium nut to the chain side and no more issues. Not saying the heat from the disc/caliper/caliper support caused your issue, just say that if you don't safety wire or secure the nut you'll be second guessing what's going on back there and not when your in too deep of a situation. Change the tyre, do something to secure or minimize the nut coming loose and ride with more confidence. Just my two cents and experience.

SD#1
Last edited by SUPER DUKE #1 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Scotty wrote:It's a bit like a cut slick.... :shock:
You'd probably be ok on it for normal street use, but I wouldn't use it for a trackday (unless it was damp)... at the end of the day the tyres are what keep you shiny-side-up so you may have to take a deep breath and change that tyre. You could put it on eBay, some idiot would buy it and as long as your ad stated the full damage to it, you wouldn't be liable for any misfortune befalling said idiot. The pain of sacrificing an otherwise decent tyre can be mitigated by thinking what could have happened after your spindle nut went AWOL. I'd put it down to a very lucky escape. Did you buy a lottery ticket that day?

I think that's what I'll do. I have a new rear tyre in my garage so I'll swap em and list the damaged one for sale for $60 it only have a couple hundred miles on it.

Haha I didn't buy a lottery ticket as I assumed I used all my luck between this and a snapped chain that didn't damage anything.

Me so Hoony.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:13 am

I'd finish that tyre off.. but it all depends where you ride I suppose.
Around where I live in the UK, we just don't have the roads where you can confidently lean the bike over that far, no canyons here.
The only time I've taken a bike over to the very edge was on a trip to the Alps. No doubt someone from the UK will be along soon to correct me and call me out for being a wuss.. :mrgreen:

Track days are another thing...

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 pm

When I was racing supermoto pretty much anyone that was running a 5" rim had tyres that looked like that or even worse and it was never a problem.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 pm

I would definitely use that tyre rather than junk it. On the road it would be fine because you wouldn't get to the edge. On track it would just sort of work itself OK after a couple of hard laps IMO. Unless you are total god on the hard edge you will be fine. Moto GP it would not be OK, track day for the likes of me and you it's fine. :D
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

NolaNomad
Two wheeled terror

Postby NolaNomad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:06 am

^^^^this^^^^
"satisfaction is the death of desire"

Return to Hooliganism