sport touring tyres

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Varinn
Minimoto racer

sport touring tyres

Postby Varinn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Anyone running a tyre like the Road 3's or Road 4's? I'm coming off a well used set of Pilot Power 3's and looking to change to something with a bit more life to it this go around. I'm not stuck on Michelin's so interested in other brands.

Goals are a tyre with a long center life but sides with some grip similar to even a standard Pilot Power. I don't run the chicken strips to 0 so I'd prefer the extra grip to be on more than the last CM of the tyre edges.

EDIT: What the hell does this forum automatically change my spelling of t1re? Silly europeans haha :lol:

michaeln
Minimoto racer

Re: sport touring tyres

Postby michaeln » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 am

I have a set of the new Metzeler M7RR here waiting to wear out the Dunlops on my '16. My '17 Duke 690 came with them (but a 160 rear), and I really enjoyed those. They are also the standard tyre this year on the SDR, (I think I heard that).

EDIT: naw. You are not looking for this kind of a tyre. Sorry about suggesting this one. Its emphasis is more on performance and less on slow wear.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 am

Try a set of Roadtec 01s, great tyres, on my 1290GT, the Angels lasted 5500Ks, the next set of M7RRs lasted 3500Ks, great tyre, plenty of grip, but just wore out too fast, so now i have fitted the roadtecs, and so far i really like them, the steering feels light and neutral, i have now fitted them on my Multistrada, it had a part worn set of PR4s, (1200Ks) i just wasn't happy with the feel of them, so off they came and on went the Roadtecs, and same neutral light steering feel. Its actually great having the same rubber on both bikes now.
Last edited by DaveNZ on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:29 am

My '08 990SD came to me with a Pilot Road 2 on the front and a Pilot Road 3 on the rear.
They feel really planted and trustworthy. I will be replacing the rear with same I think, or the newer Pilot Road 4.

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Postby Edorta » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:33 am

I used a rear road 2 some years ago and happy.

You can run really fast with this type of tyres, i remenber a friend on his s1krr with metzeler z8....you can imagine :twisted:
Ride it like you stole it!!!

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 am

Google Youtube, 2016 sports touring tyre test. It may surprise you with the results, their least like tyre was the PR4 and last in the 5 tyre test, (rated 78%) pretty good, but their top rated tyre and favourite rated 98%
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:04 am

Just checked out that video and read the comments...
Metzeler are owned by Pirelli, and Pirelli sponsored the test.. I'm ok with that. :|

Only the PR4 GT's tested and not the normal PR4's... :?
Yet they managed to included 2 different Metzeler tyres... :mrgreen:

I've no doubt they are a good tyre but I sense at least a little bias in that test.

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 am

RichUK wrote:Just checked out that video and read the comments...
Metzeler are owned by Pirelli, and Pirelli sponsored the test.. I'm ok with that. :|

Only the PR4 GT's tested and not the normal PR4's... :?
Yet they managed to included 2 different Metzeler tyres... :mrgreen:

I've no doubt they are a good tyre but I sense at least a little bias in that test.

The Tester is a respected bike and tyre tester for MCN, ...Other testers, bike mags also rated the Roadtec 01 the best Sports Touring tyre. I was in a unique position i guess, having Roadtecs on my 1290GT, and the PR4s on my Multistrada, in the wet they are similar with wet grip confidence, but i found the 01 gave better feed back and confidence on the front tyre, it was in the dry where i found the Roadtec superior, it felt lighter and more neutral feel, where the PR4 felt a little slow in its steering, the Roadtec felt like it was easier to transition to tip in, and tyre pressures didn't effect the Roadtec much, where as the PR4s were terrible on lower pressures, they are more sensitive to pressure settings, the front felt best up around 36lb or more, and the rear at least 38 lb, where the Roadtecs were happy at 32, or 36 or anything between. i even tried them for a quick squirt at 32-32, and they felt great once they got a little heat in them, the PR4s felt terrible with that lower pressure. At the end of the day, its what your most comfortable and confident on, i have mates that love the PR4s, and also mates that have switched from the PR4s to the Roadtecs. Both great tyres.

Gimlet
Minimoto racer

Postby Gimlet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:48 am

I run Roadtec 01s on an 1190 Adv and rate them highly. Better tyre altogether than PR3s or PR4s IMO, makes them feel old-fashioned. If I was looking for a sports touring tyre for a Superduke they'd be my first port of call.
Wet grip is superb and dry grip phenomenal for a high mileage tyre. In fact it would be damn good for a sports tyre on the road. They've got a decently rounded profile for an ST tyre and they're neutral turners rather than quick but they feel far more athletic than your average touring rubber and there's a decent amount of lean on offer. I've had my toes scraping on the 1190 before I've got to the edge of the tyre and that's got more ground clearance than a crop sprayer.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:59 pm

I've also run RoadTec 01's on my 1290 (2 rears and 1 front so far). Good grip and feel, but they tend to square off significantly toward the end of their life- resulting in a slower turn in. Except for this, I really like 'em.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:34 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one interested in sport touring tyres. The Roadtec's definitely seem worth looking at. I'm taking my bike down to our local suspension guru in the next couple weeks for a fork/shock service, steering dampers, and new tyres. I'll see what he recommends and has available but I think the Mettzler's or the Michelin's will be the ticket.

As long as I can get corner grip close to or on par with my current badly worn PP3 or my old standard Pilot Powers I'm happy. I don't care about wet grip either as I usually only get 1-2 wet rides a year but I guess it's an added benefit of the touring rubber.

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:44 pm

The Pirelli Angel ST replaced the Diablo Strada, but I loved the Diablo Strada and rated the replacement (Angel ST) not as good in my opinion. If I still had my 990SD I would still search out a Diablo Strada and if I remember rightly, I paid £85 for a rear as they stopped making them. My 2017 SDR comes with Metzelers M7RR and so far they are holding up well and I've been very happy with them, plus I believe they will just go by 3,000 miles and who knows any more?

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:58 pm

I run roadsmart II and love em.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:22 pm

I think I'm going to go with the Mettzler Roadtec 01's this time around. Never had anything but Michelin's before and want to try a different make for a bit. See how these go later this week when I get them. Maybe try Dunlops the next go.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 pm

I have a Michelin PR4 Rear and a PP3 on my bike and they are at about 15,500kms and I'll need to change them in about 1000kms.
I'll probably go with PR4's all round this time. I've only had Michelins PR's for my last 4 bikes...I got 20,000kms on my Blackbird from them :)
Pretty happy with them but the rear does seem to get a little "slippy" on the edges when they get to about 90%....
Last edited by DukeNukem999 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm

DukeNukem999 wrote:I have a Michelin PR4 Rear and a PP3 on my bike and they are at about 15,500kms.
I'll need the change them in about 1000kms.
I'll probably go with PR4's all round this time but looking at Metzlers as well.
I've only had Michelins PR's for my last 4 bikes...I got 20,000kms on my Blackbird from them :)

Looks like sport touring rubber is waaay more popular than everyone where I live has been saying.

More details on that ergo seat? What is that exactly?

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Yeah I don't really need Sport tyres as I mainly just commute with the odd long ride now and then, and I like the idea of getting 15,000km from a tyre :)

The Ergo seat came with the bike (as did most of the extras that are on it).
Its a more comfortable seat option from the Power parts catalogue. Not sure why they sell the bike with the original seat if this one is better ?.
Seems to be better then the standard seat from what other have said. I find its comfortable.
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

Return to Hooliganism