Steering dampers

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Varinn
Minimoto racer

Steering dampers

Postby Varinn » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm

I know. This has been covered but most of the threads are old and most of the pictures are long gone.

Has anyone got any input to offer on the HyperPro linear dampers? I'm debating between the CSC and RSC. Cost isn't an issue but I'm at a loss of the pro's and cons of each. I don't mind a touch more resistance at low speed movements around town as I find the bars super easy to turn as it is and my old GSXR was factory damped and never bothered me. At the same time I don't want it to be outrageously stiff either.

I'm trying to combat a bit of an excessive bar wiggle when going through some sweepers on some of the local highways. I haven't had any serious tank slappers come up yet but the front end gets too loose for my liking when moving at speed and in some of the corners if I'm cruising quick it'll get a couple inches back and forth at the bar ends.

http://hyperpro.com/steering-dampers/

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Re: Steering dampers

Postby Varinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Bump!

Nobody running aftermarket steering dampers?

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Scott's/ohlins rotary
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:30 pm

IF I ran one it would more than likely be a Scott's rotary damper.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:04 pm

What is the benefit of the rotary over an adjustable linear unit?

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 pm

2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

NolaNomad
Two wheeled terror

Postby NolaNomad » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 am

I found a WP damper for $140.
Very happy with the extra control, would not run a SD with out it.
"satisfaction is the death of desire"

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 pm

white power did it for me , expensive for what it is but well worth it compared to the stock one on my SDR

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 pm

I have the Hyperpro RSC damper on my 1290, 1000x better than the shite OEM one. Have one on my track bike as well. Quality bit of kit.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Klinck, have you had a chance to compare it to the more traditional linear dampers from Hyperpro?

How does for things like a light front wheel or a bit of deflection when there are minor changes in the pavement mid corner? I'm curious cause those are the main things I'm trying to tweak out a bit more so than the high speed tank slappers.

The Scotts damper seems nice, but honestly my biggest thing with it is I don't like how "in-your-face" it is being right up top on the bars. Big concern? No. But people like to play with obvious switches and stuff from time to time and it looks like it partially blocks the ignition switch or at least makes it more annoying to access from the seat.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Varinn wrote:Klinck, have you had a chance to compare it to the more traditional linear dampers from Hyperpro?

How does for things like a light front wheel or a bit of deflection when changes in the pavement mid corner? I'm curious cause those are the main things I'm trying to tweak out a bit more so than the high speed tank slappers.

The Scotts damper seems nice, but honestly my biggest thing with it is I don't like how "in-your-face" it is being right up top on the bars. Big concern? No. But people like to play with obvious switches and stuff from time to time and it looks like it partially blocks the ignition switch or at least makes it more annoying to access from the seat.

I'd chose the RSC. It feels light as a feather but totally takes care of any headshakes. My 1290 has gone from flighty as fook everywhere to no headshakes at all, no matter how hard I ride. Hopefully with Mupo K911 cartridges just fitted the front end will now give me the feel on track the OEM WP sadly lacked. I'm at Estoril next Mon-Wed so will give some feedback on the new front end.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:33 am

Appreciate the input! Got any pictures of yours installed?

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:47 am

No but slots straight on without having to adjust lock stops. 5 min to fit it. You do need to buy the fitting kit though as well.
The late Bill Hicks

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:19 pm

I'm going to place an order for the RSC tomorrow. Talked to a vendor here in N/A and verified the mount kit can be either black or gold, I want black. The linear is my preference just for being out of the way and the price works out to be a bit less than the rotary when you factor in the 75mm damper and the mount kit.

Appreciate all the input

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Varinn wrote:I'm going to place an order for the RSC tomorrow. Talked to a vendor here in N/A and verified the mount kit can be either black or gold, I want black. The linear is my preference just for being out of the way and the price works out to be a bit less than the rotary when you factor in the 75mm damper and the mount kit.

Appreciate all the input

What did you end up paying for the RSC and mount kit?

Interested as I've cut my chain a bit short and with the adjusters almost all the way in, headshake is much more common under hard acceleration.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

crazyinp
Two wheeled terror

Postby crazyinp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:57 am

Anyone can post the link to the right one?
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 pm

I ordered them through a place called EPM Performance in NJ. Total cost came in at usd 496.05 plus shipping. No idea about the rest of their customer service yet, as they haven't even had time to ship yet. Just ordered 2 hours ago.

MK-KT09-T001 B Mounting kit for Superduke 990. Apparently available in black or gold. I chose black (the B at the end)
DS-075B-NP1 75mm RSC with black anodised finish

http://epmperf.com/hyperpro-motorcycle- ... y-control/

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:34 am

So annoyingly the Hyperpro kit doesn't fit worth a damn. I'd be ok with losing a touch of my steering angle but it hit the bar mount so early in the rotation that on a right turn I can fit my finger between the factory lock bolt and the pad. Left turns are even worse.

The problem is made slightly worse by my lightly swollen tank by pushing the mount bracket forward in the rubber bushings by about 1-2mm but even holding it back while rotating doesn't gain much at all.

Also the bar clamp bracket hits the stock handlebars in almost every position except tilted fully forward beyond the scale marked on it. I had to add washers underneath to get 1mm clearance

https://imgur.com/a/C0aqg

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:03 am

What a stupid ass set up.

Me so Hoony.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Varinn wrote:So annoyingly the Hyperpro kit doesn't fit worth a damn. I'd be ok with losing a touch of my steering angle but it hit the bar mount so early in the rotation that on a right turn I can fit my finger between the factory lock bolt and the pad. Left turns are even worse.

The problem is made slightly worse by my lightly swollen tank by pushing the mount bracket forward in the rubber bushings by about 1-2mm but even holding it back while rotating doesn't gain much at all.

Also the bar clamp bracket hits the stock handlebars in almost every position except tilted fully forward beyond the scale marked on it. I had to add washers underneath to get 1mm clearance

https://imgur.com/a/C0aqg

I had absolutely no problems fitting it to my 2017. Do you have powerpart yokes or something?
The late Bill Hicks

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:21 pm

I think I got it. Was pulling the bars to test putting risers in to see if it helped with clearance before buying or machining a set but found that this thing is actually offset and not centered like I thought. PO must have spun the lower cradle 180° to pull the bars backwards or something cause it was offset towards the driver seat and eating up what little clearance I had for the damper. I'll button it up later when a buddy gets here cause he's always looking to learn a bit of bike mechanics.

EDIT: Yeah that was it. So dumb me from not noticing the cradle had been reversed last night. Tolerance is still super tight and I had to adjust the left side steering lock but it clears mostly ok now. Swings far enough to use the steering lock in the ignition. Still have issues with the thing being too close to the bar on the left so I've shimmed it up and added a spacer to compensate the height on the rod end itself.

Gonna have to adapt to having the bars sit however much forward its moved. Been debating new bars anyways though so not a big deal.

Gallery here

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:57 am

I still can't believe they charge $185 for that mounting kit.

Me so Hoony.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:17 am

I agree with you on that one... I won't say I was impressed with the mounting kit, doesn't look fantastic but if it performs I can do wheelies past the hate

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:10 am

Varinn wrote:I think I got it. Was pulling the bars to test putting risers in to see if it helped with clearance before buying or machining a set but found that this thing is actually offset and not centered like I thought. PO must have spun the lower cradle 180° to pull the bars backwards or something cause it was offset towards the driver seat and eating up what little clearance I had for the damper. I'll button it up later when a buddy gets here cause he's always looking to learn a bit of bike mechanics.

EDIT: Yeah that was it. So dumb me from not noticing the cradle had been reversed last night. Tolerance is still super tight and I had to adjust the left side steering lock but it clears mostly ok now. Swings far enough to use the steering lock in the ignition. Still have issues with the thing being too close to the bar on the left so I've shimmed it up and added a spacer to compensate the height on the rod end itself.

Gonna have to adapt to having the bars sit however much forward its moved. Been debating new bars anyways though so not a big deal.

Gallery here

I was getting really confused by your post. Then it clicked you might be talking about a 990 and not 1290. Looked at the gallery and yep it is a 990. Sorry I was obvioulsy talking about fitting it to the 1290 where it does just slot in for the OEM one.
The late Bill Hicks

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Roger, 990.

Got out for a bit of a boot with the thing installed yesterday, it's surprisingly effective at even low settings. I found that setting it on 4-5 clicks was more than enough for what I encountered yesterday. Anything above that and it really starts to impact bar turning a bit too aggressively.

I got a couple good lifts of the front end before the rain set in and found it's much more stable with my piss poor skills bringing the bike back down so I'm happy with that side of things.

I might remove the o-rings that go between the hardware and the hiem joint links (especially the tank mount bolt) cause you really need to crank it down to get it to fully seat the tank bolt and it adds a ton of uneccessary resistance to the movement of it. Not really a great setup. I might be able to make it work with another spacer somewhere in the stack though. Might look at it later. I'm not bothered by removing the o-rings. I rarely ride in the rain and I don't mind dropping a dab of oil on it when I do my chain services.

Return to Hooliganism