Horn dead, again...

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Horn dead, again...

Postby RichUK » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Tell me... do the 990's eat horns?

I put a new horn on in April and just tested mine today and it's already failed, just clicks now.
Is there something wrong with the default place where the horn is mounted?

I'm thinking is has to be heat or vibration (or both) killing them. I don't ride in rain so it isn't water spray from the front wheel in my case.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Re: Horn dead, again...

Postby Motogoon » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:48 pm

I've never had to replace one.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:53 pm

I've never had to replace one either in 40k miles.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:07 pm

Same here

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:38 pm

"I'm putting the bike into makeshift dry storage for the winter as my garage starts to get damp with condensation around this time of year. Often the bike can be literally dripping water! "

:roll:

Now where did I see this.......
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm

DougFir wrote:"I'm putting the bike into makeshift dry storage for the winter as my garage starts to get damp with condensation around this time of year. Often the bike can be literally dripping water! "
:roll:
Now where did I see this.......

On my other thread maybe... :roll:

Though as I have already said... the current horn was fitted in April so it has yet to go through a winter, and if it was still working it would be kept dry as my whole bike is now in a sealed environment that is kept dry via lots of silica gels bags. 8)

Loco
Minimoto racer

Postby Loco » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:34 am

Check the wiring, it can become brittle over time, I cannot get the OE horn to die on mine, I have already run new wiring ready for a Denali SoundBomb but the bastard won't die so I have excuse to replace it :roll:

Have you used an aftermarket horn?

vernonbc
Minimoto racer

Postby vernonbc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 pm

I feel that I have to put in my 2 cents on this subject. This style of horn has been on every single bike I have owned and I have never had one die on me, except on the 1290.
If you here the horn click, then that tells me that the diaphragm is not vibrating. Most of these horns have a screw with a locknut, You may have to loosen the
locknut and adjust the setscrew a bit. I noticed a black protrusion on the 1290 horn so I am not sure if that is a cover or not. I have not tried to take it off just yet.
If anybody here is adventurous and determines that it is a cover then please let us all know.
I rode my bike to the dealer last year and the horn worked just fine, only for him to tell me it did not work, he replaced it free of charge.
I think the heat from being behind the radiator is causing expansion in the horn and the result is the diaphragm not vibrating (sounding the horn)
Please check the obvious first, such as a loose or corroded connection.

RichUK
Two wheeled terror

Postby RichUK » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 pm

The horn on the bike when I got it didn't look original, it looked very cheap.
looked like this,

I replaced it with a slightly louder and better quality, but average horn.

I haven't yet investigated it as I decided to put that job off until Spring.
The horn is still on the bike and in my makeshift dry tent so I'm not going to get at it until then.

The fact it still clicks gives me hope I could just adjust the screw on the back... but I have a suspicion that there is no adjuster on this horn.

I'll have to wait now and see... if it has died I'll replace it with a Denali. :mrgreen:

Return to Hooliganism