Up/Down Quickshifter?

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Up/Down Quickshifter?

Postby Growler48 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Has anyone found an Up/Down Shifter for the ‘14-‘16 SDRs? I have been having some tendonitis flare ups in my left forearm and it makes pulling the clutch lever difficult and painful. All I’ve been able to find by searching is Up only. Thanks for any assistance.
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

Sarasota_Steve

Re: Up/Down Quickshifter?

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:05 pm

If I’m not mistaken, the up n down shifter is an upgrade available for the ‘17 not the older 1290’s. But maybe I’m wrong.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:04 pm

I’m hoping there is an aftermarket solution available. I really don’t want to buy a new motorcycle just to get the quick shifter!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:44 pm

I'd be surprised if any aftermarket up shifter becomes available. They are available for other bikes but I don't think there is the demand for KTM.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:26 am

Healtech have Quickshifter Easy available for the 14-16 1290R. The website says it is ignition cut but they just haven't bothered to update the text. It is definitely fuel cut for the 1290 and does up and down, you can also bypass the cut on downshift if you wanted to. I have one on my 990SDR and the wiring loom is ignition cut which suits the 990, but the kit for the 1290 is fuel cut. Works brilliantly and is fully programmable from your phone via bluetooth. So unless something has changed i guess they are still available, maybe send them an email.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Sorry I meant down shifter not up :oops:
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Sorry I meant down shifter not up :oops:

Yeh i got confused then, my brain is melting from all the xmas booze and special green mistletoe. Gets me every year.. :shock: Healtech does cut both ways as the ring sensor isn't conscious of directional pressure but i have bypassed downshift cut using the instructions they emailed to me as i like to throttle blip.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Adrock990r wrote:
Colonel_Klinck wrote:Sorry I meant down shifter not up :oops:

Yeh i got confused then, my brain is melting from all the xmas booze and special green mistletoe. Gets me every year.. :shock: Healtech does cut both ways as the ring sensor isn't conscious of directional pressure but i have bypassed downshift cut using the instructions they emailed to me as i like to throttle blip.

Does it plug into the bike loom then? I guess it must to be able to tell the ECU to blip the throttle. Does it configure for standard and race shift?
The late Bill Hicks

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:52 am

No it doesn't communicate with the ECU it simply plugs in series to the injectors (1290) or coils (990) and cuts that way. That's why i said i have bypassed the downshift cut as i like to blip the throttle and the Healtech is a stand alone unit so doesn't have the auto blip option. I know of people who have used it successfully with raceshift pattern .

Adrock990r
Two wheeled terror

Postby Adrock990r » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:10 am

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:24 pm

Growler48 wrote:Has anyone found an Up/Down Shifter for the ‘14-‘16 SDRs?

Yes. It's a well developed, universal product for nearly all motorbikes made since the 1960s:

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:37 am

SDNerd wrote:
Growler48 wrote:Has anyone found an Up/Down Shifter for the ‘14-‘16 SDRs?

Yes. It's a well developed, universal product for nearly all motorbikes made since the 1960s:

LOL!! :)
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:22 am

Just to make a point here, before Growler dives into possibly needless expense. See if you can try out the 2017 model with it on just to check out if it helps your issue.
I have this and the quick shifter is rather good most of the time, but I don't use it for every shift. Low speeds around town is better with the clutch, and you have to use the clutch each time you have stopped and then pull away. Maybe a quarter zone injection might give you some relief?

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:59 am

SuperDoopa wrote:Just to make a point here, before Growler dives into possibly needless expense. See if you can try out the 2017 model with it on just to check out if it helps your issue.
I have this and the quick shifter is rather good most of the time, but I don't use it for every shift. Low speeds around town is better with the clutch, and you have to use the clutch each time you have stopped and then pull away. Maybe a quarter zone injection might give you some relief?

Quick shifters really aren't designed for slow speed shifts and probably aren't good for the gearbox. Although it works better downshifting than up at slower speeds. Really it comes into its own on track or on a spirited ride when its one less thing to do. I'm in love with the blipper, I've tried to fool it with fast down shifts and it matches the revs perfectly every time.
The late Bill Hicks

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:03 am

SuperDoopa wrote:Just to make a point here, before Growler dives into possibly needless expense. See if you can try out the 2017 model with it on just to check out if it helps your issue.

Good point. I'll see if I can get some seat time on one this spring.

I got an email back from HealTech and was told that their quickshifter is mostly for upshifts. It will work for downshifts, but "with limitations so it's not ideal".

I'm scheduled to see a doctor later this month to see what can be done to heal my arm. I hope a cortisone shot is all it will take!

Bermo KTM
Two wheeled terror

Postby Bermo KTM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 am

you aren't supposed to use the shifter below a certain amount of revs on the new SDR and the down shifts take a lot of getting used to

jmann

Postby jmann » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:21 pm

Comrades: And how hard would it be for KTM to offer an upgrade? I'd think it would only be the plug in shift sensor and a software upgrade.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:36 am

if you are looking for more of an auto clutch, give the guys at Rekluse a call. I am pretty sure they make their auto clutch for the 1290 ADV and the motor should be the same. I know a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

I have had them in a lot of smaller dirt bikes and will get calling them to get one for my 950 in the very near future. for me they are awesome in tight technical terrain, but if you have a clutch hand issue, it would be a great option. I have one friend with only one arm (his left arm) and he's a very good off road rider with the Rekluse clutch in the bike. Not that it matters, he's an expert level road racer with one arm as well. We usually just move the clutch, brake and throttle to the left side and he's good to go.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Return to Hooliganism