'08 black 990 paint

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
Varinn
Minimoto racer

'08 black 990 paint

Postby Varinn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:46 am

This might be a stupid question but my tank and other matte finished surfaces have some micro scratches. I'm fine to polish the gloss painted panels and seal/wax them but what can be done on the matte black for the tank? Can I even seal it and put wax over top without fooking it all up?

I've honestly never even waxed the bike before even though I polish and detail all my other cars regularly. Looking to change that.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Re: '08 black 990 paint

Postby Varinn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Well I didn't get around to testing polish, but wax is fine. Tried it on a hidden spot without problem so I did the whole shebang.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:18 pm

My '07 tank is now showing a lot of the usual signs of weathering that the KTMs seem to suffer from. The black, slightly metallised, black paint has a few patches where the paint has kind of crazed and there are lots of small cracks. I think it's the first signs of ethanol damage from the inside - but seen pictures of others tanks that are much more severe. I've tried T-Cutting these out but it doesn't work because the cracks are all the way through the paint, not just on the surface.

But smaller nornmal scratches just T-Cut out fine.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Varinn
Minimoto racer

Postby Varinn » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 pm

That sounds really interesting, mine doesn't have those sorts of in-out cracks but most of us where I live fill exclusively with Chevron gas (94 octane) that doesn't have any ethanol so that might be delaying the damage. Mine's got more of a sign of abrasive material getting ground in from the outside like typical paint swirls.

My fear was the fact that it doesn't look like it has a clear coat and I've never dealt with paint that didn't have it before. So it's good to do a mild polish?

PBRnr
Stunt rider

Postby PBRnr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 am

Matte finishes are matte because they aren't completely smooth on the microscopic level. Anything you use to fill in those microscopic nooks/crannies or polish to level off the surface runs the risk of making the paint appear shiny/glossy. I always wondered about laying down a layer of matte black plastidip over the tank to protect against little nicks and scratches from general use but you'd def lose that slight metallic look of the OEM paint...
Always stay a student of something
------------------------
'08 full fat SDR, akras w headers, charcoal can removed, random carbon bits

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Don't know if this is of any help or use but it's for matte finish. Use it on my '69 muscle cars with a flat, matte (black) finish hood paint.

https://www.autogeek.net/flitz-matte-fi ... elid=BIZRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPOA5u1hdY

Return to Hooliganism