SD Swing Arm Spool Sliders

Use this forum to list parts and accessories you are selling.

Include details of the part (part # if you know it), what bike it fits, age, condition, location and asking price.

Don't forget to add at least one picture
redlimit835
Minimoto racer

SD Swing Arm Spool Sliders

Postby redlimit835 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Hey

I am the kind of person who likes to make my own instead of buying overpriced parts.

SO now I am working on making some spool swing arm sliders, and as everyone knows you get cheaper parts when you can make larger quantities.

I just wanted to get an idea of who else needs these and wants to buy some quality parts state side?

I haven't set a price yet, but that all depends on how much it costs for machining.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SDsteph
Two wheeled terror

Re: SD Swing Arm Spool Sliders

Postby SDsteph » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

I'd be in for a set

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:01 pm

It looks like I can get them made pretty reasonable. So I'd be looking to sell them at $35/set with the proper sized hardware. :mrgreen:

All depends on how much interest I can generate on here to adjust the order size.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey I just received my order of these. They look really good.

I'll try to post some pictures of them mounted later tonight, and see where I can source hardware for the extra sets.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:25 pm

redlimit835 wrote:Hey I just received my order of these. They look really good.

I'll try to post some pictures of them mounted later tonight, and see where I can source hardware for the extra sets.

McMaster-Carr ... For comparison, the set of slider-spools I have, were $39 for the set (complete, with all hardware). IIRC, Rizoma's are about $48, and a set from Intutive (local) about $35.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:33 am

SDNerd wrote:
redlimit835 wrote:Hey I just received my order of these. They look really good.

McMaster-Carr ... For comparison, the set of slider-spools I have, were $39 for the set (complete, with all hardware). IIRC, Rizoma's are about $48, and a set from Intutive (local) about $35.

Ya I've looked there already, but for right now I don't need that many of them. So I will probably just grab the few I need from a local hardware store.

and thanks for the quick comparison, I'm not looking to make any money off of these just get some back of what I spent on the order. I would be willing to get a larger order made and drop the price if enough people are interested though. This was more of a test of a way to source machining work for my own means.

Maybe you guys can make some suggestions for stuff you want made and I can make something work to get a good deal on it.. just a though.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:48 am

Ok so here is what I have! They fit well, the idea was to mostly be a spool for your rear wheel stand, but to also provide some protection in you were to unfortunately end up with the shiny side on the ground.

These are made out of Derlin plastic, so they have great impact and abrasion resistance, and they bolt strait to the swing arm without any adapters or spacers needed.

I was only hoping to sell the few sets I have for around $30-35 a set. I am just trying to offset the cost of making the small batch. Im also hoping to can do that price while including hardware and (or) shipping possibly.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or ideas for something else you would like to have made. Maybe I can make it up and have a batch made to cheapen it up.

Build not bought.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:39 am

redlimit835 wrote:Ok so here is what I have! They fit well, the idea was to mostly be a spool for your rear wheel stand, but to also provide some protection in you were to unfortunately end up with the shiny side on the ground.

These are made out of Derlin plastic, so they have great impact and abrasion resistance, and they bolt strait to the swing arm without any adapters or spacers needed.

I was only hoping to sell the few sets I have for around $30-35 a set. I am just trying to offset the cost of making the small batch. Im also hoping to can do that price while including hardware and (or) shipping possibly.

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or ideas for something else you would like to have made. Maybe I can make it up and have a batch made to cheapen it up.

Build not bought.

Me likes, let me know how you go shipping to OZ!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

BassAgent
Site Admin

Postby BassAgent » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:45 am

fixed your failquote for you guy haha
Current bikes:
1990 GSXR 750 (custom streetfighter project WIP)
2006 Speed Triple 1050
2007 KTM 525 EXC (Sumo'd out)
2008 SuperDuke 990 R
2015 FZ-09

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 am

BassAgent wrote:fixed your failquote for you guy haha

My quotes don't fail bud! :lol:
Thanks
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

SDsteph
Two wheeled terror

Postby SDsteph » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:59 pm

so what would a set mailed on NJ cost me?
TIA

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Pmed.

Any other ideas for stuff you want???

SDsteph
Two wheeled terror

Postby SDsteph » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:34 am

Delrin bar ends ?

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:15 pm

SDsteph wrote:Delrin bar ends ?

Its do able. Would it just be a replacement for the OE or something more specialized?

SDsteph
Two wheeled terror

Postby SDsteph » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

first off - I got my swing arm spools
as far as swing arm spools go - these are NICE. No really - a nice product and fair price.

my only worry is with the hardware - I am afraid that the hardware would fail after it's been ripped from the swing arm. To be honest I think that would be the case with all swing arm spools

as for the bar ends - there are so many already out there and I am using a non standard id handlebar......

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:18 pm

SDsteph wrote:my only worry is with the hardware - I am afraid that the hardware would fail after it's been ripped from the swing arm. To be honest I think that would be the case with all swing arm spools

And that is the case. They are sacrificial (not joking). Some more sacrificial than others.

A couple of bolts sticking out, could really serve the same function (for lifting the bike at the swingarm) if that was all there was to it.

An arguement for using acetal resin (polyoxymethylene aka "Delrin"), PET (polyethylene terephthalate), or HDPE (High-density polyethylene) plastics for these applications are that they have low coefficients of friction (compared to metals) when grinding away on pavement - should the worst happen. Some also argue that they - due to their plasticity - will absorb more energy and transfer less shock to the swingarm in a crash. Not sure I buy that, but arguable.

"Nylon" (polyamides) and urethanes are less suitable, in that they are less stable (but to some extent can be improved with additives and finishes) in weather/temperature, and UV (sunlight) AND have higher coefficients of friction.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Deciding what "plastics" to use is difficult since there are such a wide variety and they all have varying different properties. I've gotten to play with a lot of them in some manufacturing equipment before.

The sliders themselves are meant to do two things in this case.
1) give you a convenient place to lift the rear wheel from.
2) in a "low speed" crash or fall they are suppose to take the brunt of the damage.

That being said to nerds point is many plastics like Derlin and UHMW polyurethane have low friction, which is desirable so they will slide across a surface rather then catch and grab and put the force into the swing arm and so on. This quality also provide a really nice finish on raw machining operations.

The other quality you want for these is impact resistance. So the slider will live through the initial fall of the bike. Not just shatter when it hits like you might get with some more brittle nylons. And that is a difficult thing to find in plastics. Since plastics don't tend to have very good tensile strength, the best way to achieve that is with reinforced plastics (fiberglass carbon so on)

Now if you are in a fall that is sever enough that you are worried that you are going to break the hardware then you are most likely already way outside the range (impact) that a slider is meant or able to provide protection for.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:37 am

I still have 2 sets of these sliders available if anyone is interested PM me.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue May 13, 2014 5:53 pm

What's the thread pitch of the hardware?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:37 am

Aphex wrote:What's the thread pitch of the hardware?

Sorry 10mm X 1.5 pitch

My sliders are meant to use a bolt that has 40mm of thread.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 pm

I still have one set sitting here on my desk, if anyones interested. $20 shipped.

LiferLance990
Two wheeled terror

Postby LiferLance990 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:04 pm

These are the metal stand spools or the axle plastic ones?
2007 Super Duke
Akra Evo w/o baffles
Evap removed
Akra Smooth map
Battlax BT003s
Top Block Sliders

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:28 pm

These are made out of Derlin anyways they're already gone.

redlimit835
Minimoto racer

Postby redlimit835 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Thinking of making batch number two!! revision ideas comments questions ?

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:23 pm

They look nice,,,,but,,,,as mentioned here ..BIG,,,,they will, or could, break off the lug on the swing arm in a fall,,,,this is why I went for the "small" Harris Machine product,,,they are somewhat protected by my axle sliders,which stick out way farther,are machined powder coated ali,,,,35 bucks ,,,so what I would say for improvement,,,,,make them smaller to be protected by the axle slider,,they don't need to be a slider,,,
BLACK is BACK

Next

Return to Parts and accessories for sale