Front Disc

Use this forum to list parts and accessories you are selling.

Include details of the part (part # if you know it), what bike it fits, age, condition, location and asking price.

Don't forget to add at least one picture
piethoek
Minimoto racer

Front Disc

Postby piethoek » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi all!
A quick question regarding front discs if I may please:
I seem to have a warped disc (one or possibly both at the front). I had new break pads fitted about a week ago to see if this would sort it out, but I for sure have dodgy discs. I have looked at replacement discs. Ideally, it would be the Brembo original ones, but open for suggestions if someone has replaced this with something other than Brembo.
Also, any suggestions one someone that would not ask me to remortgage my house to have this fitted would also be very useful please. I live in SE London.
Please let me know and thanks ! :)
Piet

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Front Disc

Postby No. 47 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:37 pm

Based on personal experience, I'd stick with OE - either way, Paul (ex-Bracken and based at their old workshop just off the Old Kent Road) will sort you out re fitting.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

piethoek
Minimoto racer

Postby piethoek » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:12 pm

No. 47 wrote:Based on personal experience, I'd stick with OE - either way, Paul (ex-Bracken and based at their old workshop just off the Old Kent Road) will sort you out re fitting.

Hi.
Thanks very much for your advice. I was thinking of sticking to the originals.
Do you perhaps have some contact info for Paul? Sorry, did a quick google search, but no joy in finding this place.
Many thanks,
Piet

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:25 pm

07770 518393
'01 Ducati 996S

piethoek
Minimoto racer

Postby piethoek » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:51 pm

No. 47 wrote:07770 518393

Thanks

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:25 am

Do not get a new disc!
The buttons ussually stick.
You can replace them with full floating buttons from Motocorse and be rolling in an afternoon

bikelee
Minimoto racer

Postby bikelee » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Linga wrote:Do not get a new disc!
You can replace them with full floating buttons from Motocorse and be rolling in an afternoon

:?: Could I please have the website name so i can get a set of buttons for my 2014 Super Duke r ?? Did a search but can't find it. I'm in the States. Thanks !!

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 pm

Here they are mate. I had the name a bit skew.
http://motowheels.com/i-7579497-corse-d ... utton.html

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Kinda assuming that when someone says their discs are shagged, their disks are shagged......
'01 Ducati 996S

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 am

No. 47 wrote:Kinda assuming that when someone says their discs are shagged, their disks are shagged......

Yeah I suppose. I haven't seen em at all. I've had two stuck buttons though. I did very carefully check them with an indicator first

bikelee
Minimoto racer

Postby bikelee » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:41 pm

bikelee wrote:
Linga wrote:Do not get a new disc!

:?: Could I please have the website name so i can get a set of buttons for my 2014 Super Duke r ?? Did a search but can't find it. I'm in the States. Thanks !!

Thanks linga !!

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 am

Sticking disc buttons can be freed off fairly effectively (and far more cheaply than replacing the entire disc set-up) - You need an M6 bolt of sufficient length (30mm should do the job), a couple of washers and two M6 nuts, and an aerosol can of brake cleaner (and a rag to wipe clean afterwards). Select a button to start on and spray brake cleaner into the business area (where the shaft of the button interfaces with disc and carrier). Fit one washer to the bolt, pass it through the hole in the button, fit the second washer and then both nuts, tightening the first against the washer and then the second nut onto the first as a lock-nut.
Using an appropriate tool (probably either a 10mm ring spanner or a 5mm hex bit in a ratchet or T-bar), rotate the bolt assembly and button back and forth until it frees off, applying more brake cleaner as required. Don't use WD40 or a similar penetrating oil to do this as residue will weep onto the disc surface in use and seriously degrade the braking performance! When button #1 is free, move to the next and repeat. Do them all otherwise you'll have to return and repeat the task when the ones that you didn't do start to bind later on.
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:47 am

Scotty wrote:Sticking disc buttons can be freed off fairly effectively (and far more cheaply than replacing the entire disc set-up) - You need an M6 bolt of sufficient length (30mm should do the job), a couple of washers and two M6 nuts, and an aerosol can of brake cleaner (and a rag to wipe clean afterwards). Select a button to start on and spray brake cleaner into the business area (where the shaft of the button interfaces with disc and carrier). Fit one washer to the bolt, pass it through the hole in the button, fit the second washer and then both nuts, tightening the first against the washer and then the second nut onto the first as a lock-nut.
Using an appropriate tool (probably either a 10mm ring spanner or a 5mm hex bit in a ratchet or T-bar), rotate the bolt assembly and button back and forth until it frees off, applying more brake cleaner as required. Don't use WD40 or a similar penetrating oil to do this as residue will weep onto the disc surface in use and seriously degrade the braking performance! When button #1 is free, move to the next and repeat. Do them all otherwise you'll have to return and repeat the task when the ones that you didn't do start to bind later on.

Do you know if I can use contact cleaner? I like it just for that fact is dissipates quickly. I figure this is something I should do as I haven't done shit with the brake discs in 30k miles.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:09 am

I see no reason that you couldn't use contact cleaner, any solvent-based cleaner should work.
Thinking back, the method I described was thinking along the lines of using a penetrating oil by applying the cleaner before attaching the bolt and nuts. In the intervening time that would allow an oil-based fluid to soak in, a solvent would just evaporate.... D'Oh!
Edit: attach the fastener assembly and then apply your solvent-based cleaner of choice before working on the sticking my button to free it off :roll:
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Return to Parts and accessories for sale