CFMOTO / KTM partner up

general forum > questions . answers . discussions
DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

CFMOTO / KTM partner up

Postby DukeNukem999 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 am

Interesting.. hopefully they maintain the quality in regards to the production of the engine etc...

====
“We have been very positively impressed by CFMoto’s quality of manufacture, attention to detail and engineering capability,” said Florian Burguet, managing director of KTM Sportmotorcycle.

Part of the deal will see CFMoto purchase KTM’s entire first-generation LC8 990 engine platform, which first appeared in the carbureted form in 2003 and developed over a 10-year period.
CFMoto now has exclusive use of this engine to power a range of new models. It has been working with KTM engineers to upgrade the V-twin as well as increasing capacity for a range of 990cc and 1080cc models.

Given the structure of the new agreement, it’s highly likely we will also see an adventure bike from CFMoto, powered by the KTM 790 engine."

====
http://amcn.com.au/editorial/cfmoto-and ... t-venture/
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

Sarasota_Steve

Re: CFMOTO / KTM partner up

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:50 am

DukeNukem999 wrote:Interesting.. hopefully they maintain the quality in regards to the production of the engine etc...

====
“We have been very positively impressed by CFMoto’s quality of manufacture, attention to detail and engineering capability,” said Florian Burguet, managing director of KTM Sportmotorcycle.

Part of the deal will see CFMoto purchase KTM’s entire first-generation LC8 990 engine platform, which first appeared in the carbureted form in 2003 and developed over a 10-year period.
CFMoto now has exclusive use of this engine to power a range of new models. It has been working with KTM engineers to upgrade the V-twin as well as increasing capacity for a range of 990cc and 1080cc models.

Given the structure of the new agreement, it’s highly likely we will also see an adventure bike from CFMoto, powered by the KTM 790 engine."

====
http://amcn.com.au/editorial/cfmoto-and ... t-venture/

I wonder if the CFMoto LC8 is gonna have the stupid oil level tube or if they’ll “upgrade” to a sight glass.

That single sided swing arm LC8 engined Nekkid bike is not bad looking. Not sure if the quality is going to be there.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:26 am

Looks a shed load better than the 790 and I love the 990 engine.
Can only be better at 1080 (maybe?)
Me likee, not sure on the blue though?

The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:40 am

I like it too but curious as to what it will actually end up looking like ?....especially after the KTM 790 Prototype vs released production model
Last edited by DukeNukem999 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 (white-frame) SD, Rotty intake / SAS removal, Ceramic coated headers / Akra slipons, Ergo seat, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4, OEM 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3, factory alarm.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:07 am

New black engine into an ‘08 SDR awaiting an engine rebuild...........there’s a thought.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:17 am

I knew CFmoto arent regarded as being high quality but I had a quick search and Geez some poor owners have had issues... exhausts falling off, Engine mount bolts breaking more than once, radiators cracking and electrical problems.
Granted these are from 5 years ago but it doesn't bode well. They will need to prove themselves before many would even consider looking at them.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2106757

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:06 am

Reading owners reviews from a few Duke 390 owners in the UK, I get the feeling the build quality has really suffered from production moving to India.
They're planning on moving the 790 production to China somewhere around 2020, that's definitely not going to improve the build quality.
It feels like KTM has grown too fast for their own good. They're compromising on quality to maximize profits and churn out a shitload of bikes.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:16 pm

nampus wrote:Reading owners reviews from a few Duke 390 owners in the UK, I get the feeling the build quality has really suffered from production moving to India.
They're planning on moving the 790 production to China somewhere around 2020, that's definitely not going to improve the build quality.
It feels like KTM has grown too fast for their own good. They're compromising on quality to maximize profits and churn out a shitload of bikes.

Honestly I think that's all a part of the plan for stefan pierer.

Devalue the KTM brand that Bajaj is now a majority share holder of, then push Husqvarna that is being groomed into a boutique version of KTM.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

chip
Two wheeled terror

Postby chip » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:36 pm

A couple of random thoughts:
Bumped into a motorcyclist I hadn't seen around for a while. Asked after his Hyosung purchase some time ago and was entertained with rusted tanks and no parts for 8 months; seized brakes ....
Royal Enfield values pre and post India.

CFmoto cf Hyosung? Market share because of cheap prices?
990 motors cf Royal Enfield? Any impact on the value of our original 990's? I wonder.

Motogoon
Two wheeled terror

Postby Motogoon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:50 am

nampus wrote:Reading owners reviews from a few Duke 390 owners in the UK, I get the feeling the build quality has really suffered from production moving to India.

Haha bit harsh on China, I think they have the ability to make quality stuff with the right direction. I remember years ago I special ordered an expensive "hand made in the USA" racing bmx and the welding was absolute shit, holes in it, not joining up etc! Had to send it back. (Sorry USA guys not a dig at you) The ones made in China had waaay nicer welds, I think because they probably made a whole lot more so had it down pat.

And it's not like KTM's enjoy a super reputation for reliability and build quality already anyway. I've had three 990's and two 690 smc's and apart from Suzuki they are the most unreliable bikes I've ever owned. I'd swear I did at least 2 hours in the workshop to every 1 hours riding. I quite like working on bikes but it gets to a point where it's taking the piss!

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:08 pm

Moved to Hooligan forum for better coverage.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

limeyduffa
Two wheeled terror

Postby limeyduffa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:35 am

Motogoon wrote:I've had three 990's and two 690 smc's and apart from Suzuki they are the most unreliable bikes I've ever owned.

Where's the 'Agree' button ? ... but fook they are fun ! :lol:
2012 990 SMT

Return to Hooliganism