Page 1 of 1

KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:24 am
by tripoddave
I've just sold my CR250 and bought a 2002 KTM 300EXE to go in my new Minibus / van / bike transporter thingy.
It seems to be in really good condition and I haven't paid a lot for it so I'm looking forward to doing a bit of green laning, practice at my local motocross circuit and maybe joining some of the others on here on a couple of events. I should be picking the bike up on Friday all being well.

I've also invested in a van or rather a 17 seat minibus. Its a 2000 LDV Convoy on an X plate with a genuine 39,500miles on the clock. Its got a 2500cc Transit motor and gear box which is, apparently, the thing to have. Outside isn't too bad but the inside is gopping having been used throughout its life transporting work teams in and out of the tyne tunnel. I've started removing the seats and plan to leave only the front two rows in order to leave a significant amount of room for bikes, etc.

So now I'm selling a small (not bike) trailer, my bike transport system, a top box, mountain bike carrier and a Citroen C5 Estate. Happy days! :D

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:19 am
by Superdan
Thank fook your getting rid of that bike carrying contraption :lol: :lol:

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:34 am
by tripoddave
Superdan wrote:Thank fook your getting rid of that bike carrying contraption :lol: :lol:


It was truly terrible wasn't it?
I can't tell you how good it feels to know i don't have to use it again: I hated it.
Won't stop me from selling it on eBay though. :lol:
Anyone sees me selling this thing on eBay and thinks its a good idea: it isn't! Don't buy it.

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:42 am
by DougFir
Welcome to the 2 smoke club. I am on my 2 nd KTM 300EXC. I got a tip for you. This motor has grunt, so use it. You don't have to rev it to the moon. It will get better traction and will be easer to control. When I got my first one my right wrist was sore after the first ride. WTF? I was trying to hold the throttle so even so the front would not paw at the sky or overhanging tree branches. The front wanted to come up at every bump. The fix was to use the next higher gear. The motor has the grunt and just mellowes the power delivery when you make the motor work by shifting to a higher gear. Smooth, fast and deceptive. Get extra air filters and treat your bike to fresh air ASAP and ride, ride, ride. Valve adjust :?: Valve adjust :!: We don't need no stinkin valve adjust :!:
Our local logging term for your new transit device is a Crummy.

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:07 am
by tripoddave
DougFir wrote:Welcome to the 2 smoke club. I am on my 2 nd KTM 300EXC. I got a tip for you. This motor has grunt, so use it. You don't have to rev it to the moon. It will get better traction and will be easer to control. When I got my first one my right wrist was sore after the first ride. WTF? I was trying to hold the throttle so even so the front would not paw at the sky or overhanging tree branches. The front wanted to come up at every bump. The fix was to use the next higher gear. The motor has the grunt and just mellowes the power delivery when you make the motor work by shifting to a higher gear. Smooth, fast and deceptive. Get extra air filters and treat your bike to fresh air ASAP and ride, ride, ride. Valve adjust :?: Valve adjust :!: We don't need no stinkin valve adjust :!:
Our local logging term for your new transit device is a Crummy.


Thanks for that!
Crummy is just the right name for my van as well.

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:39 pm
by DougFir
More 2 smoke action..but not KTM. Still gets my heart rate up after see this more than 10 times. Not sure you saw this yet so.....enjoy.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=388_1327106135

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:53 am
by Deftone1
I have an '02 200 EXC, I love it. I'd replace it with something newer but it works so well I can't bring myself to do it. I have never had one mechanical issue with it. I ride it in the woods mostly, in really nasty single track. But it's been in the Mojave and the Nevada high desert many times.

The 200 is pretty peaky, but you won't have that problem. I put a 12oz. fly wheel weight on it and it really tamed it. Now it never stalls, and I can lug it in low gear all day. Spool it up and it will scream like a two stroke should. It's a fantastic bike.

Image

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 pm
by tripoddave
Just bought a spanking new 300XC.
Got its first Hare and Hounds on Sunday with the Cotswold Enduro Club.
Running medium power valve spring, Rekkluse clutch and left hand brake.

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:52 pm
by Stupid Luke
Superdan wrote:Thank fook your getting rid of that bike carrying contraption :lol: :lol:


Werent you listening? He is replacing it wih a LDV Convoy which is a boat with a Ford Transit engine in it, without the turbo. I still feel seasick now when I remember mine on the way to Cadwell. Shade The Changing Man had a full head of hair when we left Essex.

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 pm
by Sabre
Not sure about rekkluse clutches myself.............but a left hand rear thumb brake is something i'd be interested in. Where did you get yours from Dave??

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:50 pm
by The Gin Reaper
Sabre wrote:Not sure about rekkluse clutches myself.............but a left hand rear thumb brake is something i'd be interested in. Where did you get yours from Dave??


If it's a normal rekluse fit then the rear brake takes the place of the clutch lever Ginge......iirc.

Re: KTM 300EXE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:33 am
by Sabre
The Gin Reaper wrote:
Sabre wrote:Not sure about rekkluse clutches myself.............but a left hand rear thumb brake is something i'd be interested in. Where did you get yours from Dave??


If it's a normal rekluse fit then the rear brake takes the place of the clutch lever Ginge......iirc.


Yeah i get that, but Grum had a thumb brake from memory so he had both foot or thumb option for the rear brake.......that's what i'd be interested in James.........i've not looked into it as of yet and really should have bought Grums when he had it up for sale.