Exc 450 teardown interval 45hrs???

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
TC's SD
Two wheeled terror

Exc 450 teardown interval 45hrs???

Postby TC's SD » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:54 am

Brother in law wants me to tear down and do the recommended 45 hour maintenance, is it really supposed to have conrod/main bearings replaced along with a bunch of other stuff at such low hours? If it was a 2 stroke maybe...

2005 EXC 450

thanks guys

tc
Currently without bike

Colonel_Klinck

Re: Exc 450 teardown interval 45hrs???

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:03 am

I have 198 hours on my 06 450 EXC and its still good as gold and making silly power. I will have to think about new cam chain, tensioner and maybe piston with rings soon but if it ain't broke.....
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

gride250
Minimoto racer

Postby gride250 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:14 am

Oh hell no man! I would do a leak-down test and compression check before even thinking about tearing it apart. You should be able to get away with a mere valve check at only 45 hours. Even on my RC4 250sxf engine that I beat the living hell out of I never had to tear into the bottom end. I had it on the track at a minimum of 2 times a week sometimes more. Handful of races etc. These aren't those jap bikes.

I would assure him it is not needed. Invest in a leak-down tester and compression tester and check the valve clearences. (I may be thinking of the wrong bike but I am pretty sure that you need the slimmer adaptors to fit inside the sparkplug hole.)

If you do not have this tensioner I highly recommend getting one. Worth every penny. First thing I did to all of my 4 stroke dirtbikes.
http://www.dirttricks.com/timing_chain_tensioner.htm

Dehumanized
Minimoto racer

Postby Dehumanized » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 pm

a friend put one of those dirttrick's in and his timing chain snapped. first ride after.anyone heard of this? i think he installed it wrong. but i wasnt there.
08' 530xc-w
98' 380 EXC
00' 640 LC4
04' 200 EXC
07' 990 SD

scotsduke
Stunt rider

Postby scotsduke » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:28 pm

got 450 exc 09 model with 90 hard hrs riding on it don,t touch it if it,s not broke
also have dirt tricks tensioner which works well
07 sd with decatted stock can & pc111 map
UNDERSTEER IS WHEN YOU HIT THE WALL WITH THE FRONT OF THE BIKE.OVERSTEER IS WHEN YOU HIT THE WALL WITH THE REAR OF THE BIKE.HORSEPOWER IS HOW FAST YOU HIT THE WALL.
TORQUE IS HOW FAR YOU TAKE THE WALL WITH YOU

TC's SD
Two wheeled terror

Postby TC's SD » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:03 am

Thanks guys That sounds more like what I was thinking. I'll check valves and perform comp/leak tests
Currently without bike

gride250
Minimoto racer

Postby gride250 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:57 pm

Dehumanized wrote:a friend put one of those dirttrick's in and his timing chain snapped. first ride after.anyone heard of this? i think he installed it wrong. but i wasnt there.
08' 530xc-w

Never heard of that before. I am sure it is possible but of all of the good things I have heard of the DT Tensioner, I have never heard any bad.

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm

+1 on the dirt tricks tensioner........ makes a huge difference to the engine ...... it no longer sound like its about to destroy itself at idle! I read a lot on the adventure rider forum and its a must have for even the dakar boys....

i think maybe the chap who had his timing chain snap was just unlucky enough to change his tensioner too late?
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

mikcar
Minimoto racer

Postby mikcar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:42 am

TC's SD wrote:Brother in law wants me to tear down and do the recommended 45 hour maintenance, is it really supposed to have conrod/main bearings replaced along with a bunch of other stuff at such low hours? If it was a 2 stroke maybe...

2005 EXC 450

thanks guys

tc

I've got a '05 450 EXC myself. I had to change the conrod at 185 hrs. But then I beat the living hell out of it and it had a high compression piston. At the same time I did a complete overhaul of the engine and put in new bearings, new piston and cylinder (the cylinder got some grooves in it due to the worn conrod bearing). If the total hrs are 45 I'd say just the normal service with oil and a check of the valve clearance. Also have a look for leaks... like the waterpump for oil/coolant from the small hole (2 o-rings one for oil side and one for water side) and counter shaft for oil leak (sealing ring). Around 100 hrs you can start thinking of looking closer to the wear of the cam chain. Have a look on the cam chain tensioner how many clicks left. If I remember correctly there's a recommendation in the repair manual (like 2 or 3 clicks left change the cam chain or more accurate measure, the length between a certain number of rivets). It all depends on the style of riding of course, mostly low rev enduro driving style you don't need to worry about the bigger things for a long time. I'd say you don't need to touch the bottom end under 200 hrs, you can probably double that. Top end 100-150 hrs. Change cam chain, check compression (up at 150 hrs I recommend to change at least the piston rings and while you're at it, check the valves for wear).

Return to Other KTMs