1997 ktm rxc 620--hasn't been started in 10 years

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
Ultraskier
Minimoto racer

1997 ktm rxc 620--hasn't been started in 10 years

Postby Ultraskier » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:38 am

Hey kids..........just came across a 1997 ktm rxc 620 LC4 with 5500 miles. Mint condition. But hasn't been started in 10 years. You can imagine the questions.......what're the chances she's fine?! Other than an oil change, pulling the carb and cleaning it up, what else needs to be done? Do I pull the plug and squirt some wd-40 and let sit overnight? Should I try and kick just to see if she at least isn't frozen? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
08 SD
KTM 250 SX
01 Suzuki TL1000S
Kawasaki KX 250
94 Honda CBR900RR
91 Yamaha FZR600
Yamaha WR250

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Re: 1997 ktm rxc 620--hasn't been started in 10 years

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 am

I would do exactly that. Pull the plug, squirt some Wonder Drug and kick it or click into a high gear and roll it around. Pull the carb and drop the bowl. take a look, she may not be too bad. clean and pull and clean jet. It will tick over. If you lay the plug against the head and kick you should see spark. Spark and fuel is an indication that you will wheeling it up and down the street in seventeen minutes.
Great bike and great find. How much you lucky stiff?
I'm BLUE

Exitman
Stunt rider

Postby Exitman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 am

and, drain the old gas out before starting.
“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
2008 SDR | 2008 ZX6R

Ultraskier
Minimoto racer

Postby Ultraskier » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks much! Trying to get for $500.......DOH!!!!
08 SD
KTM 250 SX
01 Suzuki TL1000S
Kawasaki KX 250
94 Honda CBR900RR
91 Yamaha FZR600
Yamaha WR250

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Yep, all they said:

- new gas and clean up carb and tank
- new oil and filter
- clean up spark plug and drop some oil/wd40 to lub the piston
- crank it ( kick start/push it around ) a few times
- go for it :mrgreen:

8)
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

Hotbrakes
Stunt rider

Postby Hotbrakes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Did it work? I remember seeing this bike in magazines when I was a kid and dreaming about it. Anybody else remember the ad? A clean but slightly muddy RXC at a stop light with a not too pleased looking cop glaring from his Crown Vic beside it.
SDVTRTLRRC51SDRRVTSVSMT

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:12 am

Hotbrakes wrote:Did it work? I remember seeing this bike in magazines when I was a kid and dreaming about it. Anybody else remember the ad? A clean but slightly muddy RXC at a stop light with a not too pleased looking cop glaring from his Crown Vic beside it.

"Did you ever do something so dirty you were sure it couldn't be legal? ........but it is" :wink:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:57 am

Hotbrakes wrote:Did it work? I remember seeing this bike in magazines when I was a kid and dreaming about it. Anybody else remember the ad? A clean but slightly muddy RXC at a stop light with a not too pleased looking cop glaring from his Crown Vic beside it.

It only took me 3-YEARS to find this ad, :oops: :oops: I was going through some archives I had from back in the early '90's (1994 to be exact) and found the ad. I had to take a photo of it so it's not perfect but I'm sure this is the one and pardon the quality.

One of the best ads ever if you were into dirt biking back then as it was one of the first full on competition bikes made street legal. Don't know if there were any other US street legal motorcycles from a manufacture that had a plastic fuel tank on a dual sport or full on street bike back then or not. Heard that other manufactures claim it wasn't EPA legal to use a plastic fuel tank and that's why the other manufactures only used plastic fuel tanks on the off road versions (i.e., Suzuki DR off road with plastic tank DRS street with steel tank). There were other things claimed not to be legal "but it was", and that was the reason for the ad IMO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Check out the components, all the same as the race bikes :shock:

SD #1

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Tyres, Tubes, Spokes, Bearings, Pivot points, Coolant, Hydraulic fluids all need replacing or checking you lucky sod!

Hotbrakes
Stunt rider

Postby Hotbrakes » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:32 pm

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:

It only took me 3-YEARS to find this ad, :oops: :oops: I was going through some archives I had from back in the early '90's (1994 to be exact) and found the ad. I had to take a photo of it so it's not perfect but I'm sure this is the one and pardon the quality.

One of the best ads ever if you were into dirt biking back then as it was one of the first full on competition bikes made street legal. Don't know if there were any other US street legal motorcycles from a manufacture that had a plastic fuel tank on a dual sport or full on street bike back then or not. Heard that other manufactures claim it wasn't EPA legal to use a plastic fuel tank and that's why the other manufactures only used plastic fuel tanks on the off road versions (i.e., Suzuki DR off road with plastic tank DRS street with steel tank). There were other things claimed not to be legal "but it was", and that was the reason for the ad IMO. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Check out the components, all the same as the race bikes :shock:

SD #1

That's it!!!!
SDVTRTLRRC51SDRRVTSVSMT

Return to Other KTMs