Yesterdays Ride

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
Duke4Dirk
Stunt rider

Yesterdays Ride

Postby Duke4Dirk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:25 am

Two feet of snow in at my house. Time to dirt bike. Luckily California is about 10 states rolled into one. A 1 hour drive and I'm in another country.

The area is called Rock Creek. It's on the western slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. It's pretty remote. There are areas of old growth forest because it was to remote to log.

The trail is to the left. Did I say it was rocky?

Single Track at it's finest

This tree has to be 500 years old. It was at the bottom of a watershed and reached up to the sun. It was huge. This photo does no justice

The old faithful KTM smoker... she just keeps running!

Basically we are on one side of state looking at the other... kinda cool. Look hard and you can see the marine layer at the coast.

Great day, albeit 2 broken/separated ribs that are nagging me to death... this to will pass...
The 7.62×39mm cartridge produces significant wounding if the bullet tumbles in tissue, but produces relatively minor wounds in cases where the bullet exits before beginning to yaw or does not yaw.

DougFir
Trackday hero

Re: Yesterdays Ride

Postby DougFir » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Glad to see you had a dry ride. I rode my 300EXC 2 smoker yesterday and got soaked, but it's all good. Back in the woods ( coastal range mid state Oregon) now with fire danger gone. Frinkin slick wet log across the trail and front end washed out in a heart beat. Took a few minintes for me to get up. Fook that hurt. Thinking about going back out today. I rode my XR650R in Jawbone last Feb. met my bud there. He hauled the bikes and took a Race Tech class in LA. I Rode my Triumph Tiger down and met him at Jawbone. You got some nice ridding down there. We are frikin so lucky what we can ride. Ride on ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Sweet mate, I really miss the hills of home. Flat as a tack over here in west Oz

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:27 pm

I really loved California. Nice weather, beautiful countryside, all those green and blue colors, and nice nature etc..
Thanks for making me jealous :D

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Doesn't Denmark have some sick as trails?

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:30 pm

We got hills ! I love a good mountian pass ride. I took a ride to Yellowstone one year. I got the map out and marked all the mountian passes I could and rode as many as possible. Great ride.
We have a road race course in Portland, Oregon. Flat as a pan cake. Don't care if I ever ride it again. Give me some elevation change ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Linga wrote:Doesn't Denmark have some sick as trails?

No. There's only some beaches you can ride on, and very few trails that is legal to drive on.. Our country is flat as a pancake also, so it's pretty boring.
If you try to drive offroad other places you will drive on farmers fields.. And they will hunt you down in their trucks, my friend was almost run over once, and the farmer was furious because they were noisy :(

I really wanted to buy an offroader but I dropped it, once I found out how hard it was to find places to ride :(

The great thing about America is, that it's so incredible big. There's lots of places where you can stay for weeks without meeting (or disturbing) any people.. It's such a varied place

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:45 pm

It's funny about noise and live critters. I go to a flat track race in Washinton state once a year. We have a big predator bird called Osprey that live manily on fish. The Osprey made a nest right in the middle of the race track and have no problem feeding thier young right in a middle of a race. The race runs into the night under lights. In Oregon we have an off road riding area in the north centeral part of the state. The elk have found refuge in the riding area because hunters are not alowed into this area to hunt, which pisses off the hunters, so they go into the area with there atvs to run them off, but they are use to us bikers and they don't run off. I saw about 20 yearlings together and was abouth100 feet away.
Keep an eye on the electric bikes for off road use. I think they will open up more riding areas, maybe even in your neighbors back yard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You could be the first on your block to have a MX track.
Oh, forgot to say I did go out some more today with my 2 smoker...and I am plenty beat,,but it's a good beat...

AndersH
Stunt rider

Postby AndersH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 am

DougFir wrote:It's funny about noise and live critters. I go to a flat track race in Washinton state once a year. We have a big predator bird called Osprey that live manily on fish. The Osprey made a nest right in the middle of the race track and have no problem feeding thier young right in a middle of a race. The race runs into the night under lights. In Oregon we have an off road riding area in the north centeral part of the state. The elk have found refuge in the riding area because hunters are not alowed into this area to hunt, which pisses off the hunters, so they go into the area with there atvs to run them off, but they are use to us bikers and they don't run off. I saw about 20 yearlings together and was abouth100 feet away.
Keep an eye on the electric bikes for off road use. I think they will open up more riding areas, maybe even in your neighbors back yard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: You could be the first on your block to have a MX track.
Oh, forgot to say I did go out some more today with my 2 smoker...and I am plenty beat,,but it's a good beat...

Sounds cool about your races etc.. Those things are not possible here.. Sure they can shut down the main bridge (Storebæltsbroen) that is the only way to cross the country because someone wanted to run across, or use bicycles to cross etc.. but everything that makes noises are banned. It's such a shame.

About 10-15 years ago there was an unused area outside of my city, close to an industrial-area so it was sold by the city for a motocross track and a shooting range. They got permits etc.. But the rules in Denmark sucks, so 10 years after the track and shooting range had been made, some idiot moved into the industrial neighborhood thing (nobody lives there, it's for business') and the person complained about the noise, and then the motocross and shooting range were told that we could only practice certain days between a few hours etc.. fooking hell.

Shit like that happens everywhere and is pisses me off.. If you don't want noise, don't move into a fooking industrial noisy area..

I'm looking forward to see what those electrical bikes can do. They are still quite expensive in Denmark.. Just an example is the Segway. It's double the price here in Denmark than it is in USA. The bikes are probably around the same price difference.. I'm looking forward to see the price go down :)

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:14 pm

DougFir wrote:It's funny about noise and live critters. I go to a flat track race in Washinton state once a year. We have a big predator bird called Osprey that live manily on fish.

LOL - and we have Opsreys ("Sea Hawks") here too - they are native to much of the planet. And they don't seem to give a shit about about human activity.

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:12 am

"LOL - and we have Opsreys ("Sea Hawks") here too - they are native to much of the planet. And they don't seem to give a shit about about human activity."

Yea, I see them in a lot of places. They left for the season around here. Yellowstone has them. I live on the Willimatte river so I have them in my back yard in the summer. I mean out my back door, not miles away. It's fun to watch the Bald Eagles and Opseys go at it. The Bald Eagles are a frikn big bird. They have a rootsing place about 3 miles east of me. 100-150 in one tree lot. Saw people with spoting scopes last winter. Stopped and watched myself. Cool....they like to feed on the sheep. Dead or alive.

Return to Other KTMs