Motorbike investment - What would you buy?

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
Supaduke
Minimoto racer

Re: Motorbike investment - What would you buy?

Postby Supaduke » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 pm

888 (sp-1/2/3)
Benelli Tornado tre.
Norton rotary.

tripoddave
Wheelie king

Postby tripoddave » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:24 am

GSXR1100. Just starting to go up in price.
I'd by an '89 slabbie.
In fact, I think I'll do just that this winter.
fbsr: Sticky Side Down
PIN IT. NAIL IT. BRAKE! BRAKE! SQUEEZE EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:29 pm

BLACK is BACK

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Postby soarsore » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:21 pm

I don't know the current prices of the oldies, was $7k a good deal for that MadDog?
Fury - 2007 Superduke The State Route Ripper
Fuego - 2013 350 EXC-F Sidewalk, Alley and Sonora desert creeper (Sold)
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:20 pm

soarsore wrote:I don't know the current prices of the oldies, was $7k a good deal for that MadDog?

If you want it bad enough,,,you'll pay the price,,,,,and that bike is "brand new",,,,so if I had a colection of "classic" dirt bike's, and I didn't have one of those,,,could be I'de consider it,,,,,me personaly ,,I think of the heyday of Italian bikes are and would be my choice,,,Benelli's,,Morini's,, "real"MV's,, count Agusta day's,,Guzzi's,,Parilia's,,"real" Ducati's,,ie Dr T's design's,,Laverda's,,,those are sure to gain more value than they have already,,,you'll pay today, but in 20 more years time prices for a clean, unmolested example will surely be through the roof,,,all original , un modified,,sell's to a collector for your asking price,,,all the bike's I "could have" owned back in the day ,,who would have known then what the price would be now,,,,the MV Monza in the crate in 78 I could have bought for $4,500 , and with the full race exhaust in there too :!: what's that worth today :?: how about the Laverda 750 SFC ,in the crate with two into one race exhaust,,new for $2,500 from a Yamaha dealer of all places :!: :shock: who would have thought the MV 350 sport I paid $4,000 for ,would sell 20 years later for $17,500,,to someone that wanted the best example in the US,hey they paid whatever it takes to get it,,,,

BLACK is BACK

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Postby soarsore » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:16 am

Thank you MD. I see my friend again next week and will give him an ear full of what I have learned from all you guys. Admin, please move this to General Banter. I should of put it there originally. Thanks
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

dirtyface
Minimoto racer

Postby dirtyface » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:47 am

For a keeper bike I would get a Ducati 998r and a Honda SP2. :twisted:

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 am

If your quick, I was thinking about it as the price is right but can't be arsed to bother with the shipping....
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21389/lot/317/
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:54 pm

ktmguy wrote:If your quick, I was thinking about it as the price is right but can't be arsed to bother with the shipping....

Here's one up at the moment in the US,,,,the sound these things make is awesome,,,

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad ... =&ad_cid=4

and another

http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/1985 ... 00113.html
BLACK is BACK

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:42 am

MADDOG53 wrote:
ktmguy wrote:If your quick, I was thinking about it as the price is right but can't be arsed to bother with the shipping....

Here's one up at the moment in the US,,,,the sound these things make is awesome,,,

and another

http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/1985 ... 00113.html

Did you see how much it sold for, now I regret.... :(
It's one the only hondas worth buying.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:38 am

Me I am lining up to buy a 1200, ha,ha no not that one...... but a twin yes, one that was produced in a relatively low quantity and I think will hold or increase in value as well as being very usable, fun and a bit different to :wink:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:24 pm

A friend of mine and a member here looked at this one the other day,,,it wouldn't start, guy said they would get her running , firm at this price, looks good to me but I would like to hear it run and of course see how it rides..

BLACK is BACK

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:02 am

TLS_Russ wrote:Me I am lining up to buy a 1200, ha,ha no not that one...... but a twin yes, one that was produced in a relatively low quantity and I think will hold or increase in value as well as being very usable, fun and a bit different to :wink:

If it is a hardley moving son we need an intervention of some sort! :D

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:04 am

MADDOG53 wrote:A friend of mine and a member here looked at this one the other day,,,it wouldn't start, guy said they would get her running , firm at this price, looks good to me but I would like to hear it run and of course see how it rides..

Good find, thanks man.
My issue is shipping, like to have someone who I can trust and knows what they are doing or it can become very expensive and not worth the effort.
Don't mind a non runner, have as much fun fixing bikes as riding them.

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:34 am

ktmguy wrote:
TLS_Russ wrote:Me I am lining up to buy a 1200, ha,ha no not that one...... but a twin yes, one that was produced in a relatively low quantity and I think will hold or increase in value as well as being very usable, fun and a bit different to :wink:

If it is a hardley moving son we need an intervention of some sort! :D

No its one of these....... now watch the used prices rocket up :lol:

'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I like it :!: :wink: only thing I don't like about BMW's is the "off throttle" squat when closing the throttle into corners, something to get used to, you have to acelerate into corners to keep the heads off the floor,,Guzzi's don't have the same problem, I do like em though,,
BLACK is BACK

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:18 pm

MADDOG53 wrote:I like it :!: :wink: only thing I don't like about BMW's is the "off throttle" squat when closing the throttle into corners, something to get used to, you have to acelerate into corners to keep the heads off the floor,,Guzzi's don't have the same problem, I do like em though,,

I like it coz its a bit different,had a go on one about 4 years ago and liked it a lot, really surprised me, I think they look nice to in a funky way... prices seem to have just bottomed out second hand in the UK so time to treat myself to another toy..... does take me a while to make up my mind :lol:

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 am

TLS_Russ wrote:
MADDOG53 wrote:I like it :!: :wink: only thing I don't like about BMW's is the "off throttle" squat when closing the throttle into corners, something to get used to, you have to acelerate into corners to keep the heads off the floor,,Guzzi's don't have the same problem, I do like em though,,

I like it coz its a bit different,had a go on one about 4 years ago and liked it a lot, really surprised me, I think they look nice to in a funky way... prices seem to have just bottomed out second hand in the UK so time to treat myself to another toy..... does take me a while to make up my mind :lol:

They are a nice bike, like them! Used to test the BMW bikes in the army and don't find the "squat" an issue, just have to accelerate out of it.
A guy I know in NZ has one, pretty quick for a twin beemer.

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 pm

"I have a good friend who wants to buy a new Indian as an Investment. He does not ride. He does this kinda spontaneous stuff, and has the coin to do it.
If he wants to buy a chrome baby to look at it that is fine, but to justify it as an "investment" does not fly with me. Got me thinking, if you had $20K US to buy an investment ordainment, what would you get? I would like to show him that there are real investments out there. "

:idea: Ok, I''ll bite. I keep passing this one up, trying to wag more and bark less, but bored now so here are my thoughts on this topic. :idea:

Tell you friend to buy some investments in his own hobbies, not someone else's.
I want to see the bikes from days past, owned by real bike nuts like my self, who have a REAL passion for what they own.
The less bikes bought and stuffed away from the viewing public to make a buck the better.

So not sorry to offend anyone. :wink:

Gosh, I feel so much better now...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:13 pm

DougFir wrote:"I have a good friend who wants to buy a new Indian as an Investment. He does not ride. He does this kinda spontaneous stuff, and has the coin to do it.

How old is your friend? Is there a real possibility that they will be alive in say, I dunno, 70 years from now?

Because it will take that long for the thing to have any real valuation beyond its current price (new).

That, and what's the point of ownership if one isn't going to enjoy riding the thing?

Even the lowest-interest earning CD will yield better over the period he'd have to keep that bike (and carefully care for it) to just break even on it.

EDIT: Here's a suggestion for a stupid moto investment - that will actually value - H-D XR or XLCR 1000. People are paying stupid money for that junk these days, yet still "reasonable" for the collector. Who knows, maybe even the short lived XR1200 will appreciate some in the next 30 years or so.

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Postby soarsore » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:27 am

DougFir wrote:"I have a good friend who wants to buy a new Indian as an Investment. He does not ride. He does this kinda spontaneous stuff, and has the coin to do it.
If he wants to buy a chrome baby to look at it that is fine, but to justify it as an "investment" does not fly with me. Got me thinking, if you had $20K US to buy an investment ordainment, what would you get? I would like to show him that there are real investments out there. "

:idea: Ok, I''ll bite. I keep passing this one up, trying to wag more and bark less, but bored now so here are my thoughts on this topic. :idea:

Tell you friend to buy some investments in his own hobbies, not someone else's.
I want to see the bikes from days past, owned by real bike nuts like my self, who have a REAL passion for what they own.
The less bikes bought and stuffed away from the viewing public to make a buck the better.

So not sorry to offend anyone. :wink:

Gosh, I feel so much better now...... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey Doug, glad you feel better. My friend is a little nuts and freely admits it. For example about 15 years ago he suffered from Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, he has a collection that is unimaginable. He does not play and none of them have been touched in 15 years. Talk about stuff bought and stuffed away. Sad. After this post got going and I learned a little about older motorbikes I did bring up the topic again. I let him know there are much better ways to invest $20k than a motorbike especially a new Indian, I shit you not he said "Well I was just going to buy it and give it to you to ride and take care of." What the hell! I thanked him, but let him know I would never ride something like that, my body does not take kindly to the weight of chrome and wide handlebars.
I figured I would bring this subject up to him again in about six months when I let him know there is a bike in stock at the local dealership which has traction control, wheelie control, AND a sexy single sided swing arm. Now that's an investment!!
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:30 pm

"DougFir wrote:
"I have a good friend who wants to buy a new Indian as an Investment. He does not ride. He does this kinda spontaneous stuff, and has the coin to do it. "

SDnerd...I copied and pasted that above, that's not me. :roll: :roll: :roll:
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Guess I better start using that quote tab :oops: :oops:

Previous

Return to Other KTMs