2014 690 Duke

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
steveberde
Two wheeled terror

2014 690 Duke

Postby steveberde » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:56 pm

I've owned a number of KTM's over the past few years as I migrated away from Ducati and BMW's. I've never been happier. Owned or own an 08 SD which was totaled a couple years
ago in a deer strike crash. It almost totaled me too but thats another story. I also owned an 08 690 Enduro and have an 07 690 SM which is being sold as I have a 690 Duke coming with the full race kit.

As many have noted there is no one perfect bike. If I was a bit taller and a bit younger I'd definitely own a new Adventure as it seems like the perfect all around do everything bike, with the new 1290 Super Duke a near perfect near everything bike at least for me.

My riding days of 400-500 mile days are over. My buds and I will ride usually anywhere from 150-300 days but bear in mind we seek only twisty back roads which often add lots of miles to our destination and avoid the slabs and major roads like the plague.

I'll let you know how I like the new Duke when it arrives in a couple of weeks. Hopefully next year if I'll saddle up on a new or slightly used 1290 SD. Until then we all just have to
learn to get along:)

Steve

UPDATE - Bike has just about 1000 miles on it - so far its pretty much the most fun bike I've owned - this weekend we're taking a trip to our favorite out of the way place in IDAHO (The state of the nut cases) - this is a perfect bike for an old, weak, semi impaired old fart age 74 and anyone younger.
Steve
Last edited by steveberde on Thu May 29, 2014 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
08 Superduke orange (totaled, deer strike)
14 Superduke R black

When you’re in jail good friends will come and bail you out.
Your BEST friends will be in the cell next to you saying,
“Damn, wasn’t that fun.”!

cdlabate
Trackday hero

Re: 2014 690 Duke

Postby cdlabate » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:20 am

Ride on! 8)
:wink:

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Postby soarsore » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 am

Hi Steve,
Did you get the Duke yet? Been eying them too.
Fury - 2007 Superduke The State Route Ripper
Fuego - 2013 350 EXC-F Sidewalk, Alley and Sonora desert creeper (Sold)
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:33 am

Soarsore. Yes I got it about two weeks ago and thoroughly enjoy it.
It's a full on hooligan bike that is a kick to ride.

It's not a superduke by any means. Neither a 990 or 1290 but for every day riding
And for the twisties which of course we seek it can't be beat.

It has the full race kit which includes a cam, ecu mod, air box mod, full Akrapovic system
and more. Not cheap but I'm really enjoying it. My two buddies have one also and
regularly go "sport bike hunting." They seek out squids on gixxers and R1's and
royally kick their butt. All good fun. Plus it'll get 50 mpg if you ridit normally.

Steve
14 Superduke R black

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Postby soarsore » Thu May 01, 2014 5:01 am

Thanks for the update Steve!
I took one out yesterday and you are correct it is a fine and fun motorbike! I really was thinking of making them an offer using a used one 800 miles away for $7k plus travel and shipping as a base of negotiations. As I was riding home on the 990 I had a sudden case of being an old bastard. Like the endless conversations on this forum of 990 vs 1290, do I really NEED it? Maybe it is 30% more zany in town in hooligan mode and 50% more smiling factor carving the canyon, but it could never be on only motorbike, only the 2nd toy due to the nature of the beast on the highway. Sucks getting old, but then again the money from the 350 sale can go to a certain other bike in a couple of years when it is time for a little more zaniness and smiling from orange.
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Thu May 01, 2014 5:34 am

We'll I always figure we owe it to ourselves. With a dear friend dying of pancreatic cancer and another friends wife
Dying of a melanoma I figure what the hell go for it.

Life is short and hearses have no luggage racks. Buy it!

If you can get a used one for 7 you're golden. I doubt it'll happen as they're selling well. My dealer has no more
Even for a demo he'll get 9 out the door I'd bet or very close to that.
14 Superduke R black

soarsore
Two wheeled terror

Postby soarsore » Tue May 13, 2014 4:26 pm

I am sorry to hear about your friend Steve, I lost someone two years ago to PC and I think about her everyday. You are right, life is to short. I think about it every time I hop on to ride, about once a month I lose someone I know due to some sort of Rheumatic Disease complication and many of them were told to limit the activities in their life to be "safe". I feel that in the end all that happened is they lost an opportunity to experience life when they had the chance. Here is a blurb of what I do and why I do it.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/m ... epression/
As for the 690 they are still on my radar. If I buy I have to figure out the suspension, that was one thing I really noticed it made the 350exc and SD seem like Goldwings.
2005 625 SMC (Sold)

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Tue May 13, 2014 5:25 pm

soarsore wrote:I am sorry to hear about your friend Steve, I lost someone two years ago to PC and I think about her everyday. You are right, life is to short. I think about it every time I hop on to ride, about once a month I lose someone I know due to some sort of Rheumatic Disease complication and many of them were told to limit the activities in their life to be "safe". I feel that in the end all that happened is they lost an opportunity to experience life when they had the chance. Here is a blurb of what I do and why I do it.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/columns/m ... epression/
As for the 690 they are still on my radar. If I buy I have to figure out the suspension, that was one thing I really noticed it made the 350exc and SD seem like Goldwings.

I agree and thanks for the note and reply - I/m doing my best to live every day - looking at either a new SD 1290 or God forbid the BMW S1000R. My dealer sells both - SD due any day - The BMW is
in stock and is 2500.00 cheaper :) My wife will appreciate that - at the same time the 990 SD's look damn good, still. I really miss mine - and in fact might look for a slightly used one of those nearby.

I wish I'd have repurchased mine from the insurance company but was too sore and bruised mentally and physically to consider that - it would have been a steal and easy to get it back on the road.
14 Superduke R black

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:39 am

Update as of 23 August. Just picked up a 1290 SuperDuke R. Wow is all I can say. I'm in love.
14 Superduke R black

Return to Other KTMs