Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:22 pm

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/exclu ... aking-news

I'll take mine with 19" front 18" rear thank you :mrgreen:
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: 800

Postby Aphex » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Parallel twin :roll:
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Nukem
Two wheeled terror

Postby Nukem » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Aphex wrote:Parallel twin :roll:

Probably just needed the extra room for the supercharger right? :lol:

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:23 am

Maybe this will get KTM the podiums that the 990 couldn't in flat track :P
Tighter package, and no single sided swingarm. I don't need the 1290... :mrgreen:
2008 Superduke

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:49 am

+1 and stuck together with holy cow dung in India. All about profit.

Parallel twins are great on two bikes: Triumphs (air cooled) and the 798 cc Rotax mill on the more intelligent choice of BMW "adventure" bikes. All others are about low cost to manufacture.

Why fooking bother with the KTM - just buy an FZ07. At least 40% less expensive, certainly more reliable and probably more fun too. Need orange? Rattle can an FZ.

Heipaal
Two wheeled terror

Postby Heipaal » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:04 am

The swingarm design with the ribs showing that kTm adopted is just plain ugly, i sincerely hope they redesign it with the ribs facing inwards so you just see what looks like a massive swingarm....

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:57 pm

SDNerd wrote:

+1 and stuck together with holy cow dung in India. All about profit.

Parallel twins are great on two bikes: Triumphs (air cooled) and the 798 cc Rotax mill on the more intelligent choice of BMW "adventure" bikes. All others are about low cost to manufacture.

Why fooking bother with the KTM - just buy an FZ07. At least 40% less expensive, certainly more reliable and probably more fun too. Need orange? Rattle can an FZ.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a parallel twin. I like bikes that are single cylinder short and narrow. Probably cause of my dirt-bike beginnings. I'd take the new Norton over the triumph, the Nuda with some 18-19" nobbies over the Beemer.

The Yammy is probably a good bike, I haven't been paying attention to the bike seen the last year or two being preoccupied with other things. Forgot that KTM was going to India. Are they making the 1290 there now?

My 990 is still going strong but I am starting to think that I need a smaller dirtier bike. My youngest doesn't agree and doesn't want to lose his pillion place.

Will take a ride to the new touratech dealer over here who is selling the Huskies, see if they have an old Nuda, check out the 501s and inquire about the new 700sm. Probably shouldn't do this...

Heipaal wrote:The swingarm design with the ribs showing that kTm adopted is just plain ugly, i sincerely hope they redesign it with the ribs facing inwards so you just see what looks like a massive swingarm....

Or better yet close it to keep it from getting full off crap and being something else to clean.
2008 Superduke

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Not sure if this is the 800 or the 500, but it's not looking good.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/new-ktm-duke-800-spied

FWIW, I've heard some industry insiders talking about Stefan letting KTM slip more and more into Bajaj ownership and transferring the high performance segment to Husqvarna wher ehe has complete control and ownership.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:42 pm

Heipaal wrote:The swingarm design with the ribs showing that kTm adopted is just plain ugly, i sincerely hope they redesign it with the ribs facing inwards so you just see what looks like a massive swingarm....

Love the ribs in the swing arm, not so much the parallel twin, yaaawn.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:34 pm

Aphex wrote:Not sure if this is the 800 or the 500, but it's not looking good.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/new-ktm-duke-800-spied

FWIW, I've heard some industry insiders talking about Stefan letting KTM slip more and more into Bajaj ownership and transferring the high performance segment to Husqvarna wher ehe has complete control and ownership.

In those photos - there appears to be 2 different bikes ...

I'm trying to care about KTM's newest products, but even the idea of a parallel twin product from them (or Rotax, or?), isn't of any interest to me. All about improving margins. In terms of low cost, nothing beats parallel twins among multicylinder engine designs.

For example, a work colleague just took delivery on a Husky 701 SM. He's a puny little fook that can barely swing a leg over it - so for him, it's probably like my riding an H2R. I rode it, and sure, it's fun - in the same way that 690 SMCs were, but nothing to get real excited about. Full of fluids, it ain't that light either. So much plastic on the thing - the side panels look (and probably act) like sails, and the subframe is made of PA ("Nylon"). I'm sure that's going to work out well. At least it's his $13K (for a single!), not mine.

Return to Other KTMs