Anyone own a Duke 111?

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Anyone own a Duke 111?

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:40 pm

[/b]Ok! you folks!

[b]Seems this forum is full of RC8 threads.

Does anyone have a Duke 111. Having owned 4 Dukes and 2 Superdukes over the past 10years. I am at the moment bikeless.(for the past 6 months)

However. I need to rectify that and was wondering if anyone had experience of the Duke 111?

I love KTMs and all that they stand for.

Being an original Superduke owner and Forum member. You guys should know? :wink:
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:27 am

Just quietly - I bought one of the first ones in our country on Saturday 8) 8) 8)

Can't give you much info at the moment as I have not yet picked it up but I hope to get in a few miles this weekend....
The game is the game...

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:14 pm

Great stuff Bodge!
Let me know how you get on with it.
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider

Postby Captain Pugwash » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:31 pm

I rode one last week.

I had 2 Duke IIs.

One of the first in about 99 and a later one in 06.

The Duke III has loads more thrust but it is all quite high up the rev range.

The biggest complaint for me was the stupid fcuking seat which has weird cut outs for a pillion,which you tend to sit on if not midget-sized.

If I ever bought one I would simply buy the tall ergo gel seat to fix this.

To be honest,if I was going to buy any of the current 690s,I think it would be the SMC.
ImageImageImage

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:20 pm

Aye Aye Cap'n:wink:

Having not even sat on one I cannot comment on the seat. However I used to ride my Dukes practically on the tank, (Loading the front end.) so we'll see. :lol:
The SMC is a No No, for me. Too much of a weekend toy IMHO.

Was wondering if their were any fuelling issues. My Duke 1 and my first 2005 SD. were prone to these, on launch.
Was hoping that with the new Duke. We weren't being used as the last stage of development. :wink:

Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:15 am

fakujak72 wrote:Aye Aye Cap'n:wink:

Having not even sat on one I cannot comment on the seat. However I used to ride my Dukes practically on the tank, (Loading the front end.) so we'll see. :lol:
The SMC is a No No, for me. Too much of a weekend toy IMHO.

Was wondering if their were any fuelling issues. My Duke 1 and my first 2005 SD. were prone to these, on launch.
Was hoping that with the new Duke. We weren't being used as the last stage of development. :wink:

I thought the fuelling on the III was actually pretty good.

You could drop down to around 2000 revs and it would still pull away ok.

I was nearly tempted to get one but it really needs the Akra system to help it breath and that's another £900 etc.

And I'm still not overly struck on the nose cowl.

It does look better in white than orange though.
ImageImageImage

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:54 am

I got white... Does look very good 8) 8)

I don't have a problem with the seat as I am only 5'10 so it pefect for me... There are at least two other options in the hard parts catalogue a +20 and a +40mm which are both normal motard style seats...

Fuelling is good - not a superduke.

I like the looks of the SMC too but I wanted the allround practicality of the Duke and suspprisingly I liked the shorter travel suspension better - that little Duke rails around the corners - its sweet!

I lament the price of the Ackra pipe for it!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

May have to come up with a different solution but for now it stays standard as I am tapped out completely.
The game is the game...

Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:02 am

Bodge wrote:I got white... Does look very good 8) 8)

I like the looks of the SMC too but I wanted the allround practicality of the Duke and suspprisingly I liked the shorter travel suspension better - that little Duke rails around the corners - its sweet!

What would that be then ?

ImageImageImage

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:53 am

Captain Pugwash wrote:

Shhhhh told the girlfriend its my sensible mule... just for commuting back and forth to work... :wink:

I definitely won't enjoy riding it...
The game is the game...

Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:57 am

Bodge wrote:
Captain Pugwash wrote:

Shhhhh told the girlfriend its my sensible mule... just for commuting back and forth to work... :wink:

I definitely won't enjoy riding it...

A bit like my Ducati Sport Classic for local riding,as it is comfortable in traffic.

ImageImageImage

SDSmurf
Wheelie king

Postby SDSmurf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 am

I'm sorry but for some reason I cannot read anything Cap'n posts... :shock: :D :twisted:
The SD needs corners like I need red meat.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Yeh ermmm....

Wot's he saying about the Boob 111? Eh Duke again? :lol:

Think I will, be getting one. With he Akro pipe. Wonder If they'll do one in green ?

dfriz

Postby dfriz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 pm

I HAVE THE NEW 690 WHITE, I OWNED A COUPLE OF THE OLDER DUKES, THE SEAT ON THE NEW DUKE IS AWESME TO LOOK AT BUT I PUT THE TALL COMFORT SEAT OFF MY 2007 SM ON THE DUKE NOW YOUR TALKING!!! WAY BETTER RIDING POSITION. :D

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Great Info!

Has anyone adjusted the underseat map switch? and what sort of effect does it have?

The reason I ask is I could only see me leaving it in "Sport" mode! :lol:

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Just put money down on a "White Duke" 690

Was toying with a SDR but found that it wasn't going to be that much different from my previous SD.

So DUKE3 for me. :D

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 pm

OK. Picked up My "Thin White Duke" today.

100 mile trip back home. Weather was good, roads were busy and it was a hoot.

Obviously, bike's still running in but I could feel it loosening nicely.

Tyres are scrubbed in.

Compared to the SD. Which has a larger/heavier feel to it. The duke is like a powered bicycle. And what power!
You do have to use the gearbox more often to keep it on the boil though. It rewards you with great acceloration and it tips on its ear quicker than a quick thing.
Seats a bit harder, so 100miles was about as far as I would go. (The SD was looking for petrol by then anyways) in one stint. With plenty fuel left

All in all and sad to say but I am glad, I've went back to the Duke :oops:
Akro system at 1st service :lol:

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:15 pm

fakujak72 wrote:Akro system at 1st service :lol:

Make sure you are sitting down when they present the bill.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good on you though mate - I have mine run in and past its first service and those extra 1800 revs make it a totally different bike - I am surprised how hard this thing pulls 8) 8)
The game is the game...

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi Bodge.

Didnt get the manual with mine. As for running in? I am trying not to take it over 6k Atmo. Barring the odd missed change between 5th and 6th (Clutchless) :roll:

I know the price of the Setup Akro system in UK :o . ( I am willing my Wife to think of it as a 50th birthday present. As opposed to a new fridge/Curtains/Wallpaper/food /bedding.) :lol:
Fortunately she is very understanding of me. (Or she is having an affair :shock: )

Are there any recommended Forums?
I really liked this one when I had my SD. Any Duke forums like this?

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Ok. Doesn't seem to be much feedback on the Duke III here Or on any other, KTM forum.

Guess? I'll just have to enjoy the freedom and RIDE! :lol:

One? Can beat two. Just depends on style and how you use it :P

weeksy
Master of the twisties

Postby weeksy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:46 am

fakujak72 wrote:Ok. Doesn't seem to be much feedback on the Duke III here Or on any other, KTM forum.

Guess? I'll just have to enjoy the freedom and RIDE! :lol:

One? Can beat two. Just depends on style and how you use it :P

I think that's because they're fairly newly out mate. Danny_Two has one on therevcounter.com

but he's bored with his already LOL.
Current : 1999 Yamaha R1, 2005 Yamaha R1.

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Not really anything dedicated like this place and they don't really fit in elsewhere... But there is some good info at

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=92

http://www.ktmtalk.com/

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43
The game is the game...

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Thanks for that! Bodge

Just heard the Duke with the Akro pipe. Proper Job :lol:

Can't wait.

MMmm. Dont know if Weeksy has cottoned on that I have already had 2 Superdukes. I know, what they are like.

This is my 5th Duke though. Oh what fun again!

weeksy
Master of the twisties

Postby weeksy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:36 am

fakujak72 wrote:
MMmm. Dont know if Weeksy has cottoned on that I have already had 2 Superdukes. I know, what they are like.

Yup, i worked it out.... just struggling to agree with you :)
Current : 1999 Yamaha R1, 2005 Yamaha R1.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 pm

No Probs.

Think I summed it up
Here?

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5838

BTW. Tank range is 11/2 times more than the SD. with 5litres less!

Don't know about the gear selector probs you had. Mines is fine.
And as for Lack of power? Thats what the gear change is for.
Maybes you were expecting the Lazy type SD power in a higher gear?
I am sorry you could not acheive the quoted top speed.
Funny that I never acheived the quoted SD. top speed. (I did see 135mph once, as I wandered around two lanes with horrendous windbblast. I couldn't keep up with a fz600 because of it :shock: )

Don't get me wrong really really wanted the SD.(I had one of the first in the country. That. Had to be replaced by a new one because of problems encountered and spoke about in this Forums early days.)
Sure the New models are "Sorted". But still a lot of dosh to pay for certainly. Not much more if any fun/useability/economy.

Sorry, for coming over, kinda heavy. But I fall, for Hype as well :wink:

Each to our own, eh?

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Good lord :shock:

SMR. Why? what is its advantage over an SD? Or was it, an SDR?

You will be on a Duke quicker than you think. :wink:

Next

Return to Other KTMs