Anyone own a Duke 111?

Got/want another KTM? Post you questions and experiences here.
jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:16 pm

He is just a hard core enthusiast... mate. :wink: 8)

Bodge
Stunt rider

Postby Bodge » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:59 pm

Its a wicked combo... I commute every day on the Duke and its the master of traffic and it loves the tight twisties in the weekends... It doesn't like chasing sportbikes through open sweepers though and don't let anyone tell you its fine... I chased my regular Ducati crew up a local road which only has one really tight section of a couple of kilometers and i had the little Duke pinned the whole way 150-170km/hr... Could'nt hold on to them and by the time we got to the tight bit they were out of sight. At that pace its a lively ride! Didn't feel like I would lose it at any stage but as its such a light bike it does respond to all the little bumps in a much different way to the SDR. The great thing is if I want to terrorise the boys at the front I just turn up on the SDR - and they never know what I am going to bring 8) On our roads the SDR is a weapon that can hang with most at my ability and some that are better [ie it makes me look a bit better than I actually am]. So composed in the corners and proper quick coming out of them...

The Duke gets lots of road time because its such fun... I am always popping wheelies and stoppying the lights just for the hell of it - cos you can. An get it in the tight stuff and you can carry more corner speed than any of the bigger bikes its so light and grunty. I am loving the BT-016 tyres.
The game is the game...

collyer
Stunt rider

Postby collyer » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:49 pm

Well played......

I asked my dad if I could grow up & ride motorcycles like he did. "Son", he said, "you can't do both."

warh0rn
Two wheeled terror

Postby warh0rn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Bodge wrote:Its a wicked combo... I commute every day on the Duke and its the master of traffic and it loves the tight twisties in the weekends... It doesn't like chasing sportbikes through open sweepers though and don't let anyone tell you its fine... I chased my regular Ducati crew up a local road which only has one really tight section of a couple of kilometers and i had the little Duke pinned the whole way 150-170km/hr... Could'nt hold on to them and by the time we got to the tight bit they were out of sight. At that pace its a lively ride! Didn't feel like I would lose it at any stage but as its such a light bike it does respond to all the little bumps in a much different way to the SDR. The great thing is if I want to terrorise the boys at the front I just turn up on the SDR - and they never know what I am going to bring 8) On our roads the SDR is a weapon that can hang with most at my ability and some that are better [ie it makes me look a bit better than I actually am]. So composed in the corners and proper quick coming out of them...

The Duke gets lots of road time because its such fun... I am always popping wheelies and stoppying the lights just for the hell of it - cos you can. An get it in the tight stuff and you can carry more corner speed than any of the bigger bikes its so light and grunty. I am loving the BT-016 tyres.

Its stuff like this that keeps me from ever being dept free... Ok lets see who is willing to finance me on the duke :p
2001 Kawasaki ZX6R- Rest in peices!
1982 Honda Magna V45- Reluctantly Sold for the Duke Deposit
2007 CBR 600RR- Gone in 60 seconds :( Theft replacement warrenty and full coverage was worth buying on CBR ^_^
2007 Super Duke 990 - The Rocket Rhino

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 am

:x

I am seriously thinking of chopping in My Duke III I have had nothing but bother with it since fitting the Akro system. And nothing has been resolved as yet.
I've had the bike just over 4 months and it has been in the dealers for over 2 of those months.

Great bike as standard. But KTM haven't got it sussed when tuning. Using their supplied parts.
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

warh0rn
Two wheeled terror

Postby warh0rn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:13 am

fakujak72 wrote::x

I am seriously thinking of chopping in My Duke III I have had nothing but bother with it since fitting the Akro system. And nothing has been resolved as yet.
I've had the bike just over 4 months and it has been in the dealers for over 2 of those months.

Great bike as standard. But KTM haven't got it sussed when tuning. Using their supplied parts.

hmm.... sounds like the Duke 3.. and SD are very... inconsistant.
2001 Kawasaki ZX6R- Rest in peices!
1982 Honda Magna V45- Reluctantly Sold for the Duke Deposit
2007 CBR 600RR- Gone in 60 seconds :( Theft replacement warrenty and full coverage was worth buying on CBR ^_^
2007 Super Duke 990 - The Rocket Rhino

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:09 pm

Oooh Oooh ooh!

Just seen the 2009 SDR. Now that looks nice. Even though I cannot beleive it will be any better thah my previously "Kitted SD"

Once my Duke III is fine(It will be!) I will be enquiring.
Past bikes. Always "The Bestest". Over the past, 40 years. Mostly KTMs over the past 19years though! 1xDuke/3xDukeII/2xSD990/1xDukeIII/SDR990./ Previously owned Duke III./And now on to my Holy Grail. Duke IIIR. and now also my New 1290 R. 8)

collyer
Stunt rider

Postby collyer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm

Bump for a great thread. I am going to find a 690 Duke in this terrible economy & steal it from some sap whose got to unload it all.

Fakujak - keep us posted on your honing & sharpening of the Duke.
I asked my dad if I could grow up & ride motorcycles like he did. "Son", he said, "you can't do both."

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:28 pm

Bartender...... I want whatever this dood ^^^^^^ is having... heheh

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:24 am

collyer wrote:Bump for a great thread. I am going to find a 690 Duke in this terrible economy & steal it from some sap whose got to unload it all.

OK been away from this Forum a Wee while. Have still got my Duke111. It is running sweet and I could never trade. Had the wiring loom replaced and mapped for the Akro. This bike is the "Dogs".

I laugh in the face of those with the "Big Cubes" No need to hang off or hustle this Bike. Just twitch your arse and go. It'sa Hoot!
Nothing like it?

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Re:

Postby fakujak72 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:55 pm

fakujak72 wrote:
collyer wrote:Bump for a great thread. I am going to find a 690 Duke in this terrible economy & steal it from some sap whose got to unload it all.

OK been away from this Forum a Wee while. Have still got my Duke111. It is running sweet and I could never trade. Had the wiring loom replaced and mapped for the Akro. This bike is the "Dogs".

I laugh in the face of those with the "Big Cubes" No need to hang off or hustle this Bike. Just twitch your arse and go. It'sa Hoot!
Nothing like it?

:D :D :D :D :oops:

I traded in the Duke for a '07 R1. (Great bike with all the best toys.) But not an "Everyday bike".

Goin' Back to my Duke. Yeh! :twisted:

Peachy00
Two wheeled terror

Re: Anyone own a Duke 111?

Postby Peachy00 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:24 pm

I sold my Duke III to get my SD. A worthy sacrifice I think.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:58 pm

Peachy00 wrote:I sold my Duke III to get my SD. A worthy sacrifice I think.

Well Whatdy'know.
I coudn't get a Duke 3 R(None left apparently)
So I've now chopped the Yam in for a New SDR!!! :mrgreen:

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Just Poppin' down memory lane.

Since I had a stroke 6 weeks ago I have had to sell my SDR.( To a good Forum member). I had fired a deposit down for a Duke 690. However I was ignorant of the length of time it is going to take for me to recover to actually ride the damn thing. So cancelled for mo.

Enjoying the Forum.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Wed May 29, 2013 12:42 am

fakujak72 wrote:Just Poppin' down memory lane.

Since I had a stroke 6 weeks ago I have had to sell my SDR.( To a good Forum member). I had fired a deposit down for a Duke 690. However I was ignorant of the length of time it is going to take for me to recover to actually ride the damn thing. So cancelled for mo.

Enjoying the Forum.

Sorry to learn that about your health ... I'm not so sure you'd love the new Duke 690 - thrashed one a few weeks ago, and I have to say it's not something I'd want to live with. Perhaps letting it go (for now) is the best thing.

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Wed May 29, 2013 12:43 am

Mate, hope you have a quick recovery.

Don't try to do stuff before you can though, it'll still be there waiting to be done once fully recovered :wink:

Have fun on the "smaller bro".
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 am

Whatch after yourself mate! All the best and full and quick recovery.
Is it worth waiting a bit longer and go for the real deal?
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed May 29, 2013 1:53 am

Yup. Here's to a speedy recovery.

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks for the words guys. Much appreesh. :)

fazer_1000
Two wheeled terror

Postby fazer_1000 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 am

SDNerd wrote:
fakujak72 wrote:Just Poppin' down memory lane.

Enjoying the Forum.

Sorry to learn that about your health ... I'm not so sure you'd love the new Duke 690 - thrashed one a few weeks ago, and I have to say it's not something I'd want to live with. Perhaps letting it go (for now) is the best thing.

I'm with SDnerd on this one, so take it easy, heal well and don't think of it.

By the time you're fully back there will be the new worthy Duke R ;)

Crotchrockety

Postby Crotchrockety » Wed May 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
08 Superduke

"I'm now thinking the SD is the motocycle equivalent to 'Once you go black you don't go back.'" Agent Orange

What's that coming over the hill is it a Superduke? Is it a Superduke?

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Totally unreal!!
This is like something from a slushie movie.

I had come back to this topic, to keep in touch.
As explained I had forced myself to sell my modded SDR. because of the repercussions of having a Stroke and being unable to use it due to Bike weight and my balance problems.

Regardless. I had put a deposit on a new 690 Duke because in my Brain fuzzed world. I had thought that an inferior commuter bike costing the same amount as my old SDR would solve my bikelessness.... Ahymph?
However having realised(Been informed by Doctor) that I would never be able to steer any motorcycle in my condition. I had to tearfully inform dealer of my now cancelled order and my forfeit of my deposit.

Sooo. I became determined to claim back my balance issues. Soas i can ride a motorcycle again.

Purchase Hybrid road bicycle and fall off on first attempt to pedal it. :roll:
I stick with it and even though I can only pedal every second day due to tiredness I do become more confident.
Confident enough to peruse the ads for a suitable Motor bolide for me. Funds are tight, as due to not being able to continue my job atmo (I'm on sick pay.)

I am scanning the ads for RVF 400 Hondas and KTM Duke IIs.

OMG. Duke III for sale "White and Akro pipe" with lower miles than the many of the "Twice the price" "Commuter" Duke IVs.

Call seller. And? It's my old bike with another couple of extra thousand miles. New tyres/seviced/taxed. I nail it for £400 Less than advertised. (Those days spent watching "Wheeler Dealers" have not been misspent.)

That'll do me. I say. Bikes back to its rightful owner 8) .

Loud and easy. Been out tonight on this "True" KTM.(Yep.With folks ducking for cover because they think a gunfight is kickin' off.) and the ability to be able to talk of the ability of KTMs. As if

Stroke recovery isn't as bad as I thought.

Sorry folks if you's were lookin' for a "Happy SD" ending.

Roads round my neck of of the woods. Routes are not SDR friendly.

Anyways? I posted this. On the Duke III thread. That I started 5years ago. Before I even bought the bike
I owned originally.
And now have purchased again :!:

Now? Thats? What I call. Magic.

Upshot is. I don't patronise.

This. Is not an alcohol free post. :lol:

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Good to hear your back on your two wheels again mate.... Hope the recovery continues to keep up its excellent pace..... :D
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Woody80
Two wheeled terror

Postby Woody80 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:27 pm

fakujak72 wrote:Totally unreal!!
This is like something from a slushie movie.

I had come back to this topic, to keep in touch.
As explained I had forced myself to sell my modded SDR. because of the repercussions of having a Stroke and being unable to use it due to Bike weight and my balance problems.

Regardless. I had put a deposit on a new 690 Duke because in my Brain fuzzed world. I had thought that an inferior commuter bike costing the same amount as my old SDR would solve my bikelessness.... Ahymph?
However having realised(Been informed by Doctor) that I would never be able to steer any motorcycle in my condition. I had to tearfully inform dealer of my now cancelled order and my forfeit of my deposit.

Sooo. I became determined to claim back my balance issues. Soas i can ride a motorcycle again.

Purchase Hybrid road bicycle and fall off on first attempt to pedal it. :roll:
I stick with it and even though I can only pedal every second day due to tiredness I do become more confident.
Confident enough to peruse the ads for a suitable Motor bolide for me. Funds are tight, as due to not being able to continue my job atmo (I'm on sick pay.)

I am scanning the ads for RVF 400 Hondas and KTM Duke IIs.

OMG. Duke III for sale "White and Akro pipe" with lower miles than the many of the "Twice the price" "Commuter" Duke IVs.

Call seller. And? It's my old bike with another couple of extra thousand miles. New tyres/seviced/taxed. I nail it for £400 Less than advertised. (Those days spent watching "Wheeler Dealers" have not been misspent.)

That'll do me. I say. Bikes back to its rightful owner 8) .

Loud and easy. Been out tonight on this "True" KTM.(Yep.With folks ducking for cover because they think a gunfight is kickin' off.) and the ability to be able to talk of the ability of KTMs. As if

Stroke recovery isn't as bad as I thought.

Sorry folks if you's were lookin' for a "Happy SD" ending.

Roads round my neck of of the woods. Routes are not SDR friendly.

Anyways? I posted this. On the Duke III thread. That I started 5years ago. Before I even bought the bike
I owned originally.
And now have purchased again :!:

Now? Thats? What I call. Magic.

Upshot is. I don't patronise.

This. Is not an alcohol free post. :lol:

Glad to hear you're recovering! I'm loving your old SDR btw, hopefully that worked out well for both of us! You've refound a past love and I've found a new one with my first KTM!

Happy days

fakujak72
Two wheeled terror

Postby fakujak72 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:33 am

Yes indeed.
Happy days.

Just pottering about atmo enjoying the weather.

PreviousNext

Return to Other KTMs