990 usb charger and ram ball install

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
norman_2009
Minimoto racer

990 usb charger and ram ball install

Postby norman_2009 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:23 am

I put a usb charger on the instrument cluster for charging my phone while riding. I also put a ram ball using the front tank bolt. I use this for a phone mount with the x grip mount and go pro footage.

I bought a trackside usb with an sae connector. I cut the wires and crimped some male spade connectors. These will fit in the accessory wires in the headlight cluster. I choose the constant hot terminals because the usb adapter doesn't have any indicator lights to drain the battery, and any accessory that is plugged draws very little power. You could use the switched power source if you prefer that.

The usb is mounted with machine scews on the clutch side of the headlight plastic. I used the smallest drill bit that would allow the screws to make their own threads.

Using a 1 foot usb cable is the perfect length.

The usb has a waterproof plug. No issues with any clearance while turning. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Current Bikes:2015 390 Duke 2008 990 SuperDuke 2004 DL1000
Previous Bikes: 2003 SV1000s 1994 Virago 750

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: 990 usb charger and ram ball install

Postby Aphex » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:43 am

Be careful with your phone.

You're subjecting a delicate PCB and solder connections to a host of different frequency vibrations. Pretty much everyone I know that mounts their phone to their bike starts to have camera related issues first then it deteriorates from there.

Not to mention in an off you phone ends up who knows where instead of being on your person.

Pretty sweet idea for a mounting spot though.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:37 am

Yes, nice location for the Ram ball. I have mine handlebar mounted for my Zumo GPS but that's better.

I've lost my phone twice from the bike when it slipped out of my tank bag because I didn't zip up the top. :oops:

Both times I got it back easily because I have 'Find my phone' app and so I just used someone else phone and it shows me exactly where the phone is on a map! Down to the last metre even. One the phone was buried in a hedge on a dual carriageway. The other time a school kid had found it and taken it to class. You should have seen the look on their face when I went into the classroom with the head teacher and asked for my phone back! Ha ha.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:12 am

bic_bicknell wrote:.... The other time a school kid had found it and taken it to class. You should have seen the look on their face when I went into the classroom with the head teacher and asked for my phone back! Ha ha.

Thats gold...lol
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:13 am

norman_2009 wrote:I put a usb charger on the instrument cluster for charging my phone while riding. I also put a ram ball using the front tank bolt. I use this for a phone mount with the x grip mount and go pro footage.

I bought a trackside usb with an sae connector. I cut the wires and crimped some male spade connectors. These will fit in the accessory wires in the headlight cluster. I choose the constant hot terminals because the usb adapter doesn't have any indicator lights to drain the battery, and any accessory that is plugged draws very little power. You could use the switched power source if you prefer that.

The usb is mounted with machine scews on the clutch side of the headlight plastic. I used the smallest drill bit that would allow the screws to make their own threads.

Using a 1 foot usb cable is the perfect length.

The usb has a waterproof plug. No issues with any clearance while turning.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Nice work, looks great. Thinking of doing something similar.............. one day.
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

norman_2009
Minimoto racer

Postby norman_2009 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:12 am

bic_bicknell wrote:Yes, nice location for the Ram ball. I have mine handlebar mounted for my Zumo GPS but that's better.

I've lost my phone twice from the bike when it slipped out of my tank bag because I didn't zip up the top. :oops:

Both times I got it back easily because I have 'Find my phone' app and so I just used someone else phone and it shows me exactly where the phone is on a map! Down to the last metre even. One the phone was buried in a hedge on a dual carriageway. The other time a school kid had found it and taken it to class. You should have seen the look on their face when I went into the classroom with the head teacher and asked for my phone back! Ha ha.
Good point on the vibrations and phones. I've been doing this since I had a smartphone 6 years ago. All have not had any issues. I did just pick up a galaxy s8 this weekend. Now that phones are so expensive I feel reluctant to out this one on there. I only use the phone for navigation. I think I will keep my old phone just for navigation. Oh well I have all winter to decide.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Current Bikes:2015 390 Duke 2008 990 SuperDuke 2004 DL1000
Previous Bikes: 2003 SV1000s 1994 Virago 750

MrK
Two wheeled terror

Postby MrK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Aphex wrote:Be careful with your phone.

You're subjecting a delicate PCB and solder connections to a host of different frequency vibrations. Pretty much everyone I know that mounts their phone to their bike starts to have camera related issues first then it deteriorates from there.

Yep, all true. I killed Samsung S3 like that, as it couldn't stand the vibrations. I had it attached to the handle bar using some smart sealed phone bracket. To be honest on twisted and often bit bumpy country roads the display was hard to read anyway due to huge vibrations. Ended up using sat nav via bluetooth intercom installed to my helmet with no view of the display. It works good enough.

Return to How to do it!