Luggage rack / top box rack SD 990

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Bobharrison115
Minimoto racer

Luggage rack / top box rack SD 990

Postby Bobharrison115 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:23 pm

After much failed research for SD 990 racks, other than the Ventura offering which is expensive, not brilliant looking, and unsure of its load capabilities, I've made my own. It's a bolt on job and I've got it with the carbon tip Akro cans, so unsure how it will sit with other exhausts, but you can adapt as you go - mine will be a starting point for you.

I was thinking of making them, but by the time my workshop is built, and then thinking of other issues (like getting sued if it breaks, or it doesn't fit right) I may as well just give you all the pictures...... when I can figure out how to upload them!

If someone can tell me how to add pictures, please, without having to trawl through the site.

Bobharrison115
Minimoto racer

Re: Luggage rack / top box rack SD 990

Postby Bobharrison115 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:09 am

Sorry but they might not be in order, and not everything uploaded from my phone.

A lot of it is guess work and offering mock-ups in situ to get it right. I can get rough dimensions if needed.

The steel I used was from the scrap bin at work and there was just enough (almost! had to use a bit of light angle as well). It apears to be Eaton B-Line mini channel, https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/catalog/ ... tings.html but I haven't found where to buy it. My scrap piece was galvanised so had to use special primer which has messed up the paint job :-( I recommend the untreated channel - Note: it is NOT mini Unistrut (21 x 41mm) as I bought some and it's far too big!

The reinforcing bar where the big cut out is is 10mm hexagonal, again, from the scrap bin, anything solid which fits inside the channel is fine.

You will have to cut a bit of plastic off which gets in the way to the rear of the can mount (pic not uploaded), but if you remove the rack it isn't really noticeable as it's behind the side panel. The side panels do sit out a few millimetres, you can leave it to rub a little as I have, cut your plastics a little, or buy some spare side panels to modify as I might do later.

Slotted channel is best due to less weight and those holes can be handy; hopefully I'll get some can protectors made before I go away so my soft panniers don't damage the cans.

Bobharrison115
Minimoto racer

Postby Bobharrison115 » Thu May 23, 2019 12:31 am

This may be an equivalent https://www.bisonuk.com/productdisplay/ ... -lengths-1 but cant guarantee it

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu May 23, 2019 4:56 am

Definitely an approach that should work for a time. It certainly looks like unistrut.. The constant bounce up and down is going to stress crack that probably way sooner than you think there is a lot of bouncing going on back there that you can't see. It will work for a few trips and if you constantly inspect it you will probably catch it before failure. I fashioned a rack for a Triumph Scrambler that made it through two months of Mexican mountain roads. Well I should say almost two months but I managed to get it repaired with splints for the return journey. If you could fill in the strut with a pre splinted flat bar arrangement I think it would last more than twice as long. Good on you for having the intestinal fortitude to Ethiopian engineer such a piece. SD now stands for something does or soon disaster only time will tell.
See it's always the 990 that gets proletariat prowess comrades :shock:
I'm BLUE

Bobharrison115
Minimoto racer

Postby Bobharrison115 » Thu May 23, 2019 2:37 pm

I had to get it functional for a trip at the end of the month. I was going to add more diagonal pieces, but unless I remove the front lip, it's a bugger to get in to weld. Thanks for the comments, I may go back to the drawing board in future

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Thu May 23, 2019 3:57 pm

I just bought a secondhand seat, bolted the base plate to it.
10 minutes work, easy to swap between regular and topbox seat.

Bobharrison115
Minimoto racer

Postby Bobharrison115 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:48 pm

I ticked the box to get notifications on replies but it hasn't worked and forgot to come back on for an update.

I couldn't bolt a plate to my seat, or a second seat, as my missus would be way too high up in the air!!!

My rack worked for our near 1000 mile trip, and on the way home it had extra weight due to having to carry a spare battery home after the reg/rec failed after a rain soaking.

I need to alter the Givi plate mounting to sit higher and more level, and I want to re paint it some time to look neater.

It's still doing fine using it for my commute a lot, but I don't always have the box attached, just strap a waterproof to the plate.

If I keep the bike the next bits will be making a wind screen (2006 model so no off the shelf available) and some pannier stays or hard luggage frames..... I didn't get time for this last trip and burned the soft luggage on the way home.... and some clothes!

As much as I love the Duke, I can only keep it if I can make the back comfy enough for my missus on long trips.

Return to How to do it!