Handle Bars and Bends

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
DRW
Minimoto racer

Handle Bars and Bends

Postby DRW » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Other than the OEM bars, has anyone played with different bends and or brands? Just wondering..
2008 KTM Super Duke 990
2006 KTM 450EXC
2006 TRIUMPH SPEED TRIPLE 1050

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:16 am

This is my mission at the moment, I want to find flatter, tapered bars that put more weight over the front end. I'll post anything I find.

DRW
Minimoto racer

Postby DRW » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 pm

That makes sense, i am a dirt rider and feel bar bends and position in key to handling. Just wondered if anyone has played with different bends, widths, and brands.
2008 KTM Super Duke 990
2006 KTM 450EXC

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:05 am

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 am

Chris, do you know the Renthal part number for those bars? Also it's hard to see from the pic, is the rise less than standard? I guess you could cut the width down a bit if you wanted.

DRW
Minimoto racer

Postby DRW » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Those look like the factory Renthals from KTM accessory book. Very nice bars and i believe they are Renthal KTM bend.
2008 KTM Super Duke 990
2006 KTM 450EXC

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:33 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Chris, do you know the Renthal part number for those bars? Also it's hard to see from the pic, is the rise less than standard? I guess you could cut the width down a bit if you wanted.

Rise is close to the same as the KTM factory bars. I got it from KTM Twins a while ago: http://www.ktmtwins.com/990superduke/r609-01-blk.html

roamer
Two wheeled terror

Postby roamer » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:17 pm

I just added the KTM bar risers.
I wanted to get a little tighter steering, for parking lot maneuvering.
The new, longer bolts are about 5 threads too long.
If you turn in the steering stop bolts, the new, longer bolts will contact the frame, preventing any gain. Trim the bolts to length before tightening it all up.

Jaxian
Minimoto racer

Different obstruction for me with stock bars.

Postby Jaxian » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:41 pm

I also just added the KTM bar risers and the bolts do stick out the bottom about 5mm. I never noticed to be honest because, at least on my bike, the fork tubes hit the radiator cover shrouds before those bolt ends hit. I set mine up with a 1mm gap between the fork tube and the black plastic shroud things/radiators and then set the stops accordingly. I can go take pictures if anyone wants to see them at full lock.

Amusingly the only annoying thing about the risers is the fact that when you go to lock the steering head by taking the key out you always have to turn it back a few inches from full lock before the pin will set. Small price to pay though. I still have the stock bars and this is on an '08.

Freestyler
Master of the twisties

Postby Freestyler » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:This is my mission at the moment, I want to find flatter, tapered bars that put more weight over the front end. I'll post anything I find.
Call KTM center hemel they have just fited a set of Renthul black bars to a An ,R, for a custermar . they mite be just what you are looking for , and they got two sets in so they are on the Rack £61, I think .
onley Ded fish go with the fow.

I Hate to advocate Drugs Alkcahol Violence or ,Insaneity, To eney one but they'ev allways warked for me .
Hunter S Thomson ,RIP.

paddle faster
I hear Banjos

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I went to Hemel at the weekend and had a look at the SDR with those bars. They are so nearly what I want, they are lower and definitely pull back less than standard but they are quite a bit wider and the bar shape means that I don't think that you can cut off the ends and push in the controls because the switch gear cannot move in.

I really don't want wider bars - mainly 'cos of commuting through London, even standard bars are at the limit for me there otherwise filtering through traffic would be too stop/start! But thanks for the tip, I will keep on looking. Hemel says that Renthal will probably do something exactly like I want.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Try and get your hands on some Ducati Streetfighter bars! :wink:
The official owner of the big pink SDP (thats STUPID DUKE Poofs edition to you).

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:15 pm

The official owner of the big pink SDP (thats STUPID DUKE Poofs edition to you).

smoky
Wheelie king

Postby smoky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:57 pm

check out these spiegler pages, this should give you an idea what's out there and what choices you have for raise and pull-back...

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/handlebars.cfm
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/fathandlebars.cfm
"Idiot-proofing everything creates a world full of idiots!"

Resmas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Resmas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:25 am

Does anybody know thw dimensions of the OEM stock bars?
The Rizoma ones state that they Will fit with the Rizoma 29mm handlebar clamps. Does that mean tou have to get the clamps too?

rgds
Luis
SD rules...

Freestyler
Master of the twisties

Postby Freestyler » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 am

bic_bicknell wrote:I went to Hemel at the weekend and had a look at the SDR with those bars. They are so nearly what I want, they are lower and definitely pull back less than standard but they are quite a bit wider and the bar shape means that I don't think that you can cut off the ends and push in the controls because the switch gear cannot move in.

I really don't want wider bars - mainly 'cos of commuting through London, even standard bars are at the limit for me there otherwise filtering through traffic would be too stop/start! But thanks for the tip, I will keep on looking. Hemel says that Renthal will probably do something exactly like I want.
I have got a set of Duke three bars here iff you whont to offer them up on your bike you wood be welcome to try them iff you like , iff you finde your self out for a ride up near stevernige , Iam only just off Junk'8, of the A'1M north bownd . theys bars are defanetley straghter and just a tad whyder than the standed ones .

I Hate to advocate Drugs Alkcahol Violence or ,Insaneity, To eney one but they'ev allways warked for me .
Hunter S Thomson ,RIP.

paddle faster
I hear Banjos

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:13 am

I have a set of Fly Aero tapered bars arriving tomorrow. Never heard of them before but they looked good and solid, and...are cheap so if they don't work no big deal.
The original bars give my bad wrist a hard time so I want to find something that fits me, they are also a bit lower.
I'll keep your posted....
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Resmas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Resmas » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:20 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:I went to Hemel at the weekend and had a look at the SDR with those bars. They are so nearly what I want, they are lower and definitely pull back less than standard but they are quite a bit wider and the bar shape means that I don't think that you can cut off the ends and push in the controls because the switch gear cannot move in.

Hi Bic, found anything u where looking for? I want to change the bar too but don´t want any wider bar, just different colour (black) and improved riding maybe.
The Rizoma Fat Bar looks good but imply a change in the handlebar clamps/risers, i.e., +83£ for the 29mm bar. The question is, they are risers, do they rise in comparison with the original clamps? If so then the riding position will be greatly affected, a more straight position which i believe is precisely the opposite idea. Correct me pls if i´m wrong. Is the 29mm referring to diameter of the bar or to height of the clamps?

rgds
luis
SD rules...

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:55 am

29mm is the diameter of the bar where it contacts the bar mounts. You will not need the Rizoma bar clamps, the stock ones will work fine.

John

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:42 am

I've been delaying my decision while I look further. It's not an urgent need. I like the Rizoma ones but then I found this thread from ages ago and have been trying to track down whether they are still available.

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopi ... light=horn

Links don't work anymore but the manufacturers are still there - all in French and no reference to bike handlebars. I've got a French friend checking for me.

I'm like you Resmas, just want bars that are a bit lower and maybe further forward. Definitely not higher and definitely not wider.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:58 pm

Seems Strawber only make parts for pedal bikes nowadays! -

http://www.strawber.com/strawber-ENG/home_TECH.html

Stew :?

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 pm

That's as far as I got too!

Can't find a trace of them anywhere. Shame really - they were interesting.

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:14 am

Il bet they had a few failures and realised things cud get real expensive (legally) real quick!!!

Coerce make the perfect bars for my needs but unfortunaly they only make em in 7/8 size, shame as they only cost £50 inc shipping to UK -

http://www.pacmax.com/coerce%20hpbar.html

Check thier comp low bars!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Freestyler
Master of the twisties

Postby Freestyler » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Eney one thort abowt fitting a set of aprilia Tuono bars on there sd ,or is it just me ! .

Hunter S Thomson ,RIP.

paddle faster
I hear Banjos

kuerbis
Two wheeled terror

Postby kuerbis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Freestyler wrote:Eney one thort abowt fitting a set of aprilia Tuono bars on there sd ,or is it just me ! .

These look sweet! Now if I could just find out if there is enough room for the controls/switch gear. Anyone have a Rizoma dealer close by? I think I'm going to take a measure to the Aprilia Dealer and measure the stock bars. If I find any thing that looks close to fitting the SD I will report back.

Kuerbis

Next

Return to How to do it!