Handle Bars and Bends

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
bic_bicknell

Re: Handle Bars and Bends

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:04 pm

The stock bars were definitely made by Nekan but if you have a say that says KTM and made by Renthal then maybe they have two suppliers or have switched to Renthal in the last few years.

I've spent the last six years gradually changing my bars fro the standard "sit up" position to lower and lower in a mission to find the place that gives a balance between fast road riding, track and motorway cruising. For me, the preference has always been to go flatter and lower and more forward. I currently have LSL drag bars fitted but have just ordered a set of Woodcraft clip-ons with 50mm risers to see what they are like. There's a thread on here on that subject that I'll be updating once I get them on. Should be next week.

Bar positions and riding style are very personal things - it depends on what you like and what they feel like. No one is right, it's up to you.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

SDRSteveH
Minimoto racer

Postby SDRSteveH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:27 pm

Lastbike I had was a vfr 1000 the riding position , for me was perfect, find myself leaning forward on the sd and dropping my elbows to get a bit more into a position I find more comfortable.looked at the woodcraft set up .... looks good.... the top bracket and with the 25mm ish rise that is shown for the monster looks very simular to the vfr.... I will be very interested what you find out bic....could be a way forward.
On the other hand... I could trade the sd for a sp1with 25mm step riser clip ons... :lol: :lol:
Past CB250, RD350, MIRAGE 1200, CBR400R, GSXR750M, VFR1000, NOW...2006 SD990

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:47 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:
bic_bicknell wrote:The stock bars were definitely made by Nekan but if you have a say that says KTM and made by Renthal then maybe they have two suppliers or have switched to Renthal in the last few years.

I've spent the last six years gradually changing my bars fro the standard "sit up" position to lower and lower in a mission to find the place that gives a balance between fast road riding, track and motorway cruising. For me, the preference has always been to go flatter and lower and more forward. I currently have LSL drag bars fitted but have just ordered a set of Woodcraft clip-ons with 50mm risers to see what they are like. There's a thread on here on that subject that I'll be updating once I get them on. Should be next week.

Bar positions and riding style are very personal things - it depends on what you like and what they feel like. No one is right, it's up to you.

I'm still on the standard Nekens but I like the idea of the LSL's. They seem well priced as well. Are they alloy or steel and how far forward/down do they bring you? I'm 6'2 with long arms, standard bars are good but I'd like to try a different set up.

LSL's are alloy,,,,I cut 1 1/2 inches off each side to narrow them up,,,,couldn't go more without leaving space for the control's,,,,,slight adjustment on the stops to leave room for your hands at full lock,,,,with longer arms I would think you would be more comfortable with them down low,,with the CC rearset adjuster plates the position feels spot on IMO,,,,,,
BLACK is BACK

d2r
Minimoto racer

Postby d2r » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 pm

PaulY wrote:Hey all, anyone tried the Suburban Machinery bar M4?
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/DucatiM4.html
I've got the Rizoma MA005 on the bike now, but would still like to be a bit further forward, and I like having a bit more angle back on the grips.
They are stupid expensive, but if they work I'll do it.

I really like the looks of these fabricated bars. Back when I was first trying to get my SD more suited to my riding style I was going to make up a pair of handlebars that would have looked a lot like them. I opted to try just going flat first and bought a set of RSI aluminium bars (see pic's) and mounted them solidly to the upper triple clamp. Now that I've lived with them for almost 6k miles, I think they suit me pretty well.

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 am

Can I ask why you turned your throttle clamp/cables the other way up?
Kiss the sky

d2r
Minimoto racer

Postby d2r » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 am

gezza47 wrote:Can I ask why you turned your throttle clamp/cables the other way up?

I ran them this way because with the lower bar position it was the smoothest routing of the cables.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:19 am

d2r.

These are very like the LSL bars I had fitted for the last few years. I ended up rotating the throttle housing too for the same reasons.

What's the advantage of the aftermarket ASV clamps on the clutch lever or are they just for bling?

Also, your bike is so CLEAN and NEW looking! Do you ever ride it? :D
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

d2r
Minimoto racer

Postby d2r » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 am

bic_bicknell wrote:d2r.

These are very like the LSL bars I had fitted for the last few years. I ended up rotating the throttle housing too for the same reasons.

What's the advantage of the aftermarket ASV clamps on the clutch lever or are they just for bling?

A little "bling" here and there is okay, yes? :lol: I've actually changed out the red ASV Rotator clamps for a pair of black ones since that photo was taken. Black just seemed more fitting for my clean bike :wink:

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:11 pm

d2r wrote:
bic_bicknell wrote:d2r.

A little "bling" here and there is okay, yes? :lol: I've actually changed out the red ASV Rotator clamps for a pair of black ones since that photo was taken. Black just seemed more fitting for my clean bike :wink:

Good choice :!: the ASV clamps are the way to go to clean up the looks,,much better than the KTM hard part replacements IMO,,,
BLACK is BACK

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:11 pm

You really need to get 'fatties' which have a larger diameter centre and taper towards the ends.

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:I bought some Renthal flat bars - couldn't get LSL down here. The only problem is they're 7/8ths and my SDR clamps are fat bar diameter - 1 and 1/8th. I've tried to find suitable shims but they convert a 7/8th bar to 1 inch diameter.

Has anyone had the same problem? I'd really like to try these flat bars out.

There might be a solution for you at your KTM stealer. I know they had 7/8th clamps for rubber mounts in the parts book and so would be worth checking for 7/8th solid mount for motocross, might fit a SDR. Worth a shot...
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:18 am

LSL drag bars have only a slight bend in them so you can set them in a position which does not have any 'rise' as such, just a bit swept back. This is how I had them fitted. To be honest, if they were totally straight with no rise and no sweep back I think they would not be that ergonomically comfortable as your wrists do naturally fall at a bit of an angle.

But they would probably look good! :lol:

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:15 am

Liking mine,,,still on my to do list however is install me "solid" bar mounts to get the rubber out,,
BLACK is BACK

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Here are mine cut down to the minimum width possible.

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 pm

speedfiend41 wrote:
MADDOG53 wrote:Image

Liking mine,,,still on my to do list however is install me "solid" bar mounts to get the rubber out,,

They are the exact bars I want and can't get here in Australia. My Renthals are the same bend but in 7/8ths all the way through, hence my issues with the bar clamps. Very frustrating!

You can contact this place , and they would ship a set down to you,,,funky thing about them is they would ship out of Spiegler USA,,,they are on the Spiegler site,,,"dealer's only ",,cut mine down 1 1/2 inch on each side, that brought them down to 30 inches,,don't think I could have done more,,,how much did you cut them Bic :?:

http://www.motostrano.com/motorcycleparts-s/4467.htm

http://www.spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebars.html
BLACK is BACK

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:32 am

BLACK is BACK

DukeofCornwall
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeofCornwall » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 am

Katomic wrote:

Anyways, I ended up getting the Carmichael bend Protapers. A little wider than stock, half the sweep, and about 25mm less height. They tip you forward a little more, with much more of an agressive grab to the bars, and as they are straighter, less kink in your wrists. Quite the butch stance now.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but does anybody have any pics of either these Carmichael Pro-tapers against the standard bars (2006 990 SD) or again, Ducati Monster 1100/796 against standard.

I've just put some Rizoma MA005s and just can't get on with the very slight increase in pull back (will be on here for sale soon).

xrpilot
Two wheeled terror

Re:

Postby xrpilot » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:16 am

ktmguy wrote:Fitted the Aero bars last week and had a good ride over the weekend, feels really good. Bars are slightly wider even after I trimmed 20mm off each side. The good thing is they are lower and the shape gives a nicer angle on the old wrists.
Can't trim any more off as the switch gear and so would be to close together and make the brake and clutch lever feel funny. Might have to buy shorty levers.
These are the Fly Aero tapered low CR model. Got them for $50 NZ brand new in the box.
Needs two 5mm holes drilled for the switch gear and a trim on both sides but the rest fits no problem including the weights.

ktmguy, I know this is an ancient post but how did these bars work out for you? Fly Racing is actually well known brand at least in the States and these seem well made. Was the width an issue after you trimmed them? I have got to part ways with the stock bars sooner than later. I thought I could get use to them but after almost a year and a half they are bothering my wrists and now my elbows :shock:

Previous

Return to How to do it!