Handle Bars and Bends

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
fast4d
Stunt rider

Postby fast4d » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I've been wanting black color bars. I have acerbis hand guards which adds to the total width and makes it more difficult to squeeze through traffic.

I know what you mean about the levers.

I don't mine the slight increase in steering effort.
Alan
----------------------------
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM 990 SMT
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR

fast4d
Stunt rider

Postby fast4d » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:07 am

don't have money to buy a new bar but I have a sawzall (reciprocating saw) so I took an inch off each end. That's about all you can cut because there's no more room to move the brake/clutch cylinders in towards center due the the bends.

felt a slight increase in effort but not enough to bother me.
Alan
----------------------------
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM 990 SMT
2011 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR

ChrisMag
Minimoto racer

Postby ChrisMag » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:27 am

I picked up the same Rizoma bars and after doing some faster riding last weekend, I gotta say that I much prefer them to the stock setup. The reach is better for me (5'8"). I found it much easier to get my weight where I want it to be when steering into tight corners.

kuerbis
Two wheeled terror

Postby kuerbis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:59 pm

+1 for the Rizoma bar. At first ride the pull back seemed too steep, but after 5k my wrists adjusted and everything feels very natural.

Kuerbis

PS I never drill bars for mounting the switch gear. I just grind the plastic locating tabs and put a wrap of tape on the bar.

ChrisMag
Minimoto racer

Postby ChrisMag » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:16 pm

kuerbis wrote:+1 for the Rizoma bar. At first ride the pull back seemed too steep, but after 5k my wrists adjusted and everything feels very natural.

Kuerbis

PS I never drill bars for mounting the switch gear. I just grind the plastic locating tabs and put a wrap of tape on the bar.

I did the same (electrician's tape) and it worked fine.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Ha ha. Wish I'd done that first! :lol:

It's actually really hard to judge where to drill the small hole so your switch gear is at exactly the right angle, especially as you can't know where that is until the bars are on the bike and you have a test ride. I 'estimated' where the hole should be, fitted the switchgear and bars and then found out that it was all wrong. I'm a bit anal about all this - getting the bars and switchgear in the right position.

So I had to elongate the hole quite a bit - and then started to get paranoid about how much I was weakening the bar in that position. I have enough offs at track days to worry that the bar might break or bend if I make the hole too big. So I compromised a bit and stopped when the hole was twice as long as it was in diameter. And then I had to use electricians tape anyway to make the OE switchgear tight onto the Rizoma bars to make sure they couldn't revolve, (they are fractionally smaller than the OE bars, so a bit looser even when clamped up).

So........... if I ever do this handlebar thing again I will do what Kuerbis and ChrisMag did. Be advised!!!! :lol:
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

troy
Two wheeled terror

Postby troy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Thought I'd add to this thread as its where I started to get the itch to change 'bars from in the first place.

I've just installed the Rizoma MA005B that a few of you have, they replaced Ducati Monster Magura handlebars.
Coming from the clip-on 'esque feel of the magura bars, the first 5 minutes on the rizomas I thought i'd made a huge mistake.
Now, after a day and a commute, I don't know why I persisted with the Maguras for so long.
The Magura bars look great on the bike and in the tight/fast stuff, they are great, loading up the front more and allowing you to hang off and manhandle it a bit more.
Thats also the negative though - the bars being lower and slightly raked downwards puts more weight on your wrists, and even though its good for balance, you don't have the same leverage and end up putting more effort into steering.
They also had my fingers tingling after an hour or so in traffic, I think it comes down to the odd bend, Even the torture rack Ducati SC1000 didnt cause that effect for me.

Its been so long since i've run stock bars I can't really make a fair comparison with the Rizomas, the most noticeable thing is they are more swept back, it felt wierd at first but its a really natural position now.
The first corner I came to I pushed into counter steer and the bike just dropped so fast into the turn I was surprised.
I feel like i'm sitting bolt upright again but I know these have a lower rise than stock.

I'm 6'2, the stock bars always felt just a bit off, wrong bend and a little too high.

Heres a pic of the three bars together, Magura on top, Rizoma second and KTM stock at the bottom.

dukee71
Minimoto racer

Postby dukee71 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:16 pm

These are LSL flat drag bars. I cut about 1.5" off each side to match stock width. Clearance is very good at lock, only had to adjust stopper on right side a smidgen. More forward/sporty riding position

08 SD, LSL bars, Scotts damper, carbon everywhere, motobox & flies, carbon FMF,TuneECU

stannic
Minimoto racer

Re: Handle Bars and Bends

Postby stannic » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:31 am

Has anyone stateside bought the Rizoma's? I am ready to pull the trigger and looking for a place online to purchase. Google only brings up 1 store, http://cjmoto.com/-strse-4/Rizoma-conic ... Detail.bok -- any other place out there that ya'll prefer to spend your money? Cheers

-JP-
Two wheeled terror

Postby -JP- » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Time to bump this a bit.

It seems everyone uses the OEM clamps for the 29 mm Rizoma handlebars (http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/375.html). Anyone had any fitting issues at all?
Catch me if you can.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:20 pm

JP. Just seen this thread has been bumped.

Can't see the Rizoma dimensions posted here. Must be on another thread :oops: Only advice on fitting is that I ended up drilling small holes in the bars for the switch gear to locate into but it's hard to judge exactly where these should be so that the gear ends up exactly where you want it to be. I ended up having to enlarge the holes a bit to get it right. Klinky took the other option and simply dremmelled off the peg in the switchgear so that you don't need holes. Makes the bars stronger - I think this is a better option. Also make sure you adjust the steering lock bolts so that there is a good gap between the gear and the tank on full locks. Otherwise you will damage the tank in a spill. The bars do flex quite a bit when crashing so you need to allow for that in the gap - mot just 1mm :wink:
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:30 pm

simply dremmelled off the peg in the switchgear so that you don't need holes

Its better if you just remove a bit of the peg.....you do not have to use tape.....as the peg stump bites in .....they have not moved a fraction
I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

-JP-
Two wheeled terror

Postby -JP- » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:21 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:JP. Just seen this thread has been bumped.

Can't see the Rizoma dimensions posted here. Must be on another thread :oops: Only advice on fitting is that I ended up drilling small holes in the bars for the switch gear to locate into but it's hard to judge exactly where these should be so that the gear ends up exactly where you want it to be. I ended up having to enlarge the holes a bit to get it right. Klinky took the other option and simply dremmelled off the peg in the switchgear so that you don't need holes. Makes the bars stronger - I think this is a better option. Also make sure you adjust the steering lock bolts so that there is a good gap between the gear and the tank on full locks. Otherwise you will damage the tank in a spill. The bars do flex quite a bit when crashing so you need to allow for that in the gap - mot just 1mm :wink:

You've got (yet another) PM.
Catch me if you can.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Re:

Postby Lowrance » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:23 am

troy wrote:Thought I'd add to this thread as its where I started to get the itch to change 'bars from in the first place.

I've just installed the Rizoma MA005B that a few of you have, they replaced Ducati Monster Magura handlebars.
Coming from the clip-on 'esque feel of the magura bars, the first 5 minutes on the rizomas I thought i'd made a huge mistake.
Now, after a day and a commute, I don't know why I persisted with the Maguras for so long.
The Magura bars look great on the bike and in the tight/fast stuff, they are great, loading up the front more and allowing you to hang off and manhandle it a bit more.
Thats also the negative though - the bars being lower and slightly raked downwards puts more weight on your wrists, and even though its good for balance, you don't have the same leverage and end up putting more effort into steering.
They also had my fingers tingling after an hour or so in traffic, I think it comes down to the odd bend, Even the torture rack Ducati SC1000 didnt cause that effect for me.

Its been so long since i've run stock bars I can't really make a fair comparison with the Rizomas, the most noticeable thing is they are more swept back, it felt wierd at first but its a really natural position now.
The first corner I came to I pushed into counter steer and the bike just dropped so fast into the turn I was surprised.
I feel like i'm sitting bolt upright again but I know these have a lower rise than stock.

I'm 6'2, the stock bars always felt just a bit off, wrong bend and a little too high.

Heres a pic of the three bars together, Magura on top, Rizoma second and KTM stock at the bottom.

I'm liking the look of the Magura/Monster handle bar in your photo. Less rake than the Rizoma and lower than the stock KTM bar. What year Monster did you get those off of?

Thanks, John

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 am

I'm liking the look of the Magura/Monster handle bar in your photo. Less rake than the Rizoma and lower than the stock KTM bar. What year Monster did you get those off of?

This years 796 Monster (1100 is the same )

They fit perfect without having to change things (they do not hit the tank on full lock...some do)

troy
Two wheeled terror

Postby troy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 am

Yeah thats the one, they were from a S2R but I think they are on most late model Monsters.
The part is: magura 360.1.045.1A

-JP-
Two wheeled terror

Postby -JP- » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Love the Rizoma bars. With rearset adjusters, the bike is much more agressive now. Really looking forward to taking it to the track Monday.
Catch me if you can.

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:12 pm

I'm in the middle of deciding on new bars... funilly enough it's because I really like the handling on my Sport Classic 1000 which has clip-ons - and I want to be more over the front wheel on the SDR.

But I'm confused...

The Rizomas are lower 30mm rise compared to Renthal's lowest at 50mm, and KTM at 70mm (I think) but the Rizomas pull back more, when I want to be pushed forward.

I suspect the LSL flat drag bars would work well, but they look very straight and a bit odd on the bike (at least in photos anyway, although on this thread they look more angled than the do on Klincky and Twisted Jester's LSL setups).

The Monster Magura's look great - although I'd like black, but it's mentioned here that they're a bit extreme...? Hard to imagine they'd be worse than my Duc SC1000? Really?

Mmmm. What to do.

M
DUTCH

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Here's a bit more stolen research and info:

Renthal:
Model Part No 672-01
Dim A: 796
Dim B: 80
Dim C: 55
Dim D: 210
Dim E: 57

Rizoma:

KTM

Maugura vs Rizoma vs KTM:
DUTCH

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Re:

Postby SDNerd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:11 pm

BASH69 wrote:Try and get your hands on some Ducati Streetfighter bars! :wink:

+1

That's what I'm running, and I dig 'em. Got 'em cheap - customer discard at the dealer, who wanted Tuono bars on his Streetfighty.

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm

I'll measure up the pull back on the flat bars for you tomorrow.
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:17 pm

The Monster Magura's look great - although I'd like black, but it's mentioned here that they're a bit extreme...? Hard to imagine they'd be worse than my Duc SC1000? Really?

They are near perfect....if they were black...they would be ...pop in to your local Ducati shop ...1100 & 796 Monster ....

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:12 am

just switched from Suburban Machinery bars back to near-stock Magura fat bar. The flickability has improved but having my arms up in the air has knackered my throttle control!! need to get used to it, sharpish!
bbbbrrrrrmmmmmm......brrrmmmmmm.....nnnyyyyymmmmmmmmm

KTM666
Trackday hero

Re:

Postby KTM666 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:31 am

kuerbis wrote:
Freestyler wrote:Eney one thort abowt fitting a set of aprilia Tuono bars on there sd ,or is it just me ! .

These look sweet! Now if I could just find out if there is enough room for the controls/switch gear. Anyone have a Rizoma dealer close by? I think I'm going to take a measure to the Aprilia Dealer and measure the stock bars. If I find any thing that looks close to fitting the SD I will report back.

Kuerbis

Better off trying Ducati dealer (Monster 1100) they fit perfect and need no changes

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 am

Twisted Jester wrote:I'll measure up the pull back on the flat bars for you tomorrow.

That would be helpful. Cheers chap.

KTM666 wrote:

They are near perfect....if they were black...they would be ...pop in to your local Ducati shop ...1100 & 796 Monster ....

Looks like everyone loves these universally. I can live without black if the position is perfect and the fitting is easy. - So you didn't have to cut them down at all? Did you drill locator pin holes, or snip them off the switchgear?

...and what price for the Maguras?
DUTCH

PreviousNext

Return to How to do it!