Handle Bars and Bends

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
KTM666
Trackday hero

Re: Handle Bars and Bends

Postby KTM666 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:43 am

Dutch wrote:
Twisted Jester wrote:I'll measure up the pull back on the flat bars for you tomorrow.

That would be helpful. Cheers chap.

KTM666 wrote:
The Monster Magura's look great - although I'd like black, but it's mentioned here that they're a bit extreme...? Hard to imagine they'd be worse than my Duc SC1000? Really?

They are near perfect....if they were black...they would be ...pop in to your local Ducati shop ...1100 & 796 Monster ....

Looks like everyone loves these universally. I can live without black if the position is perfect and the fitting is easy. - So you didn't have to cut them down at all? Did you drill locator pin holes, or snip them off the switchgear?

...and what price for the Maguras?

No cutting and perfect position...no adjusting lock stops :? cable rout stays the same, fit like they were designed for it....I just trimmed the pins down....they grip the bars and have not moved (A bit of trial and error) £90.00 they are nearly flat with a slight pull back...only problem....they are not Black (which I would have preffered)

I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 am

btw... orange bars ftmfw :lol: :lol:

bbbbrrrrrmmmmmm......brrrmmmmmm.....nnnyyyyymmmmmmmmm

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Just ordering the Ducati Monster Maguras. I'd prefer black , but this is for function.
DUTCH

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Dutch

They work a treat, much better front end feel on track.... :mrgreen:

Davey Sprocket
Two wheeled terror

Postby Davey Sprocket » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi ... Can someone tell be the width of a standard 07 handle bars.. I have after market ones and want to cut them narrower...:)
Live Fast.. Die FUN!!!

lockers
Stunt rider

Postby lockers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:19 am

troy wrote:Yeah thats the one, they were from a S2R but I think they are on most late model Monsters.
The part is: magura 360.1.045.1A

Dutch, KTM666, are you using the same bars as Troy?? What's the part number for your bars?
And then on the eighth day, The Devil created the KTM Super Duke 990 ; cos he was a bad ass, and had to get around town..... God secretly wished he had one.

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:34 am

lockers wrote:
troy wrote:Yeah thats the one, they were from a S2R but I think they are on most late model Monsters.
The part is: magura 360.1.045.1A

Dutch, KTM666, are you using the same bars as Troy?? What's the part number for your bars?

Not sure or part number......., they are the standard fitment on the 795 Monster if thats any help

TC's SD
Two wheeled terror

Postby TC's SD » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:40 am

Hey Davey,

07 bar width is 29 5/8" from outside to outside (lanesplitting width), measured between two flat surfaces, no grips. 752.5 mm for you others...

slide all the controls inboard to maximum on both sides to determine the max cut length, my buddy didnt do this.....oops!

My newly installed SF bars are awaiting their maiden voyage, they feel real nice.
Currently without bike

Viking
Wheelie king

Postby Viking » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 am

Just to keep all the info in one place..

I had to order a few spare sets of bars in. Part numbers are a bit all over the place but Ducati seem to think it's more to do with holes for switchgear.

2011 Ducati Monster 796 = 36011282A = £108.86
2010 Ducati Monster 1100 = 36010952A = £108.86

2007 Ducati Monster S4R = 36010451A = £147
2010 Ducati Streetfighter = 36011031A = £146

I've ordered the 1st ones- 796- as i'm sure that what i've got on already. Same as KTM666's.
THUNDERSPORT GB STREETFIGHTER CLASS A. 3rd 2013

http://www.spartanracing.co.uk

cheesie
Stunt rider

Postby cheesie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:06 am

I have to say I am loving the sf bars less wrist pain

Viking
Wheelie king

Postby Viking » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Got my spare bars in. 2011 Monster 796

Here's a quick snap to compare them to the Streetfighter bars.

They are virtually identical but a little bit less bend. Like you've got the streetfighter bars and pulled the grips away from eachother a bit and straightened the bends out.

Streetfighter bars painted black and fitted.
Monster bars silver and held up

THUNDERSPORT GB STREETFIGHTER CLASS A. 3rd 2013

http://www.spartanracing.co.uk

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:41 am

I've found myself also doing the "I love the bike, but want to be a bit more over the front wheel" thinking.

I don't want anything drastic, just a bit as I find myself crouching all the time (perhaps something to do with the long reach of my previous TL1000S?).

In looking at this and other threads, I'm thinking that the Ducati Monster / Streetfighter bar is the way to go and I've found a bar from an 07 Monster S4RS for sale. With all the part #'s of Ducati's and all their different models of Monster (S4, S2, 796, 1100, S vs non-S), are these the same bars people are using?

EDIT: I now own the bars; the eBay auction was closing a lot sooner than I thought. I couldn't confirm the numbers as being the same measurements but decided to fall off my wallet and try it out. I'd still like to hear from anyone that can confirm that these bars will work.

If they do work, not bad for $35 (plus $25 shipping).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2007-S4RS-S4R-S2R-ect-Ducati-Monster-Handle-Bar-/251141970637?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a793a5acd&autorefresh=true&autorefresh=true

A little searching and I think this is the bike that the bars got parted out from;

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 am

2007 Ducati S4RS bars installed. Very slick install with the only limitation being that I had to mount the levers a bit higher than I used to as the brake lever runs into the throttle cables, they having had to be rolled forward a bit to clear the tank.

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:16 am

LSL
[imgImage][/img]
BLACK is BACK

Katomic
Minimoto racer

Postby Katomic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 am

Hi all,

My SD fell off the side stand over the weekend. Like slow motion, it burried itself into what i thought was a firmish ground. Plonk! Result? Bent stock 'bars. How soft and weak and crap are the stock bars! UGH.

Anyhoo, wondering has anyone put Ricky Carmicheal Protaper's on their SD?

They are 800mm w, 77mm Rise, and a 55mm sweep. I'm assuming that with a bit of a trim off the end, should be a good bend to drop you over the front a little more? Purely as they have way less sweep than the stock bars??
2012 KTM SuperDuke R

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:56 am

:shock: Don't know what your talking about mate but the original neken bars are some of the strongest I have seen. Plenty of people crashed them and some bad and you're the first one that has them bend!
The only reason people replace them is coz they don't like the shape (me) or want black ones (me also).
I have magura's at the moment that are close to the ones you mention and the problem is that they are wider. You can cut them as I did but eventually the bend gets in the way of positioning the lever clamp closer to the centre and your stuck with that width. If you can live with it is's fine, it gives lots of leverage but I guess not good for filterng traffic in the city.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Katomic
Minimoto racer

Postby Katomic » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:14 am

ktmguy wrote::shock: Don't know what your talking about mate but the original neken bars are some of the strongest I have seen. Plenty of people crashed them and some bad and you're the first one that has them bend!
The only reason people replace them is coz they don't like the shape (me) or want black ones (me also).
I have magura's at the moment that are close to the ones you mention and the problem is that they are wider. You can cut them as I did but eventually the bend gets in the way of positioning the lever clamp closer to the centre and your stuck with that width. If you can live with it is's fine, it gives lots of leverage but I guess not good for filterng traffic in the city.

Really? Gee whizz. I must be the most unlucky guy in the world then! I swear I could have counted , "one thousand and one, one thousand and two" before it hit the deck.
I measured them up, the left side was bent down 10mm and back 25mm!! It's never been down before, and I swear I felt it straight away when I got back on. As it was dark when i rode home, I felt it before I saw it! Geeze! hehehe.

Anyways, I ended up getting the Carmichael bend Protapers. A little wider than stock, half the sweep, and about 25mm less height. They tip you forward a little more, with much more of an agressive grab to the bars, and as they are straighter, less kink in your wrists. Quite the butch stance now. Seems to have more leverage and turns easier, but, also just put a set of Pilot Power 3's on today too, which are more agressively profile than my previous Road 3's, which, got two nails in the rear yesterday!
Bars have plenty of clearance and all I had to do was remove the little nubs on the switch gear.

Until I get a decent ride in... quick test ride, gave me a big grin for the new riding position. :) I just am a little concerned how they will go on the track.

2012 KTM SuperDuke R

panzerduke
Minimoto racer

Postby panzerduke » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Here is my Renthal 999-01 Twinwall McGrath Bend with little sweep, fits like a charm.
My wrists can relax now, and the old handlebars is a nice decoration on the wall.
It also comes with a little stick if a bird wants to relax on my bike and maybe take a shit on it.

kenscottphoto
Two wheeled terror

Postby kenscottphoto » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:28 am

Hey List,

To dig up this thread again, I am looking for a set of bars. I like the KTM stock bars bend but I am looking for something a bit wider. I don't care if its silver or black. Where are we these days?

Thanks,
Thanks,

Ken

2007 KTM Superduke Black-Current
2002 Kawasaki Concours Silver--Sold
1999 Kawasaki KLR650 Blue/Green--Sold

PaulY
Minimoto racer

Postby PaulY » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Hey all, anyone tried the Suburban Machinery bar M4?
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/DucatiM4.html
I've got the Rizoma MA005 on the bike now, but would still like to be a bit further forward, and I like having a bit more angle back on the grips.
They are stupid expensive, but if they work I'll do it.

SDsteph
Two wheeled terror

Postby SDsteph » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:22 am

I have the the Suburban bars and can wholeheatedly recommend them. The fit is a bit tight but worth it.
Expensive yes but after a recent crash and bend of the bars I called Suburban and the advised that they would straighten the bars for a nominal fee. Better than paying for them again.

cheesie
Stunt rider

Postby cheesie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:29 am

how did the bars work out for tank clearance cables ect, wouldn't mind giving them a go they look like the closest you'll get to clipons

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am

Fit was tight with the LSL flat's as well, didn't want the cables to "bind" up by having all kind's of bends in them,,,and I didn't want to just rotate the throttle housing with the cables up in my face,,, solution was drilling a hole for the cables behind the directional and running them there with no bends what so ever,,smooth arc,,,,no bends , binding or shortened cable life,,,,,this would work with the Suburban bars as well,,,,

Last edited by MADDOG53 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK is BACK

SDsteph
Two wheeled terror

Postby SDsteph » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:09 am

cheesie wrote:how did the bars work out for tank clearance cables ect, wouldn't mind giving them a go they look like the closest you'll get to clipons

Presume you mean the Suburban's. you must watch your thumbs on full lock, and I had to flip the throttle cable. I'll try to take some pictures and post them this weekend.

SDRSteveH
Minimoto racer

Postby SDRSteveH » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Just been reading through this thread with interest trying to get an idea of which way to go with replacement bars. I notice that the original bars people say are made by Neken.......
just looked at the one that are on mine and it says KTM made by Renthal ??? will these be a replacement set that one of the previous owners may have put on?
How could I check??
Past CB250, RD350, MIRAGE 1200, CBR400R, GSXR750M, VFR1000, NOW...2006 SD990

PreviousNext

Return to How to do it!