Fitting a sigma Slipper Clutch

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Millar
Wheelie king

Re: Fitting a sigma Slipper Clutch

Postby Millar » Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 am

Superdan mentions them in the build order, when you look at your parts manual from your handbook, they are listed as parts 11 and 12. They go in after a standard friction plate and steel.

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 am

drswade wrote:I don't know how they say that the Sigma is not the same as the Yoyodyne. They look exact to me.

I saw no mention in this thread of thin judder/Bellville spring at the back of the clutch.On the Yoyo they tell you to put it, as well as the plate with the larger I.D a few plates in instead of the standard clutch's way of putting them in first.
This keeps them from slipping under the clutch hub when it open up under slipping operation.
Did I miss this somewhere?

TSS is the manufacturer, sigma & yoyo are retailers.

If I managed to bolt my TSS, I left those judders out and replace larger clutch plate with a normal one.
Those judders cant stand the force by the slipper clutch and if they break they will destroy your complete engine.
if you decide to leave them inside place them 2nd or even in 3th place in clutch stack.
Vortex155 on twitter

drswade
Stunt rider

Postby drswade » Sun May 13, 2012 2:48 pm

I had extra plates so replacing the larger ID one makes perfect sense. I wish they would recommend that. I guess I got lucky with the spring!
AFM #814 WERA #814

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:56 am

This are pix of that TSS I've got

And this is about as far i could manage to get it in...it ended up sitting struck and only could be released with a special tool i've made.

Must be something to do with the coating that rests inside the grooved axis hole,or just fabrication-tollerance fail?
:roll:
Vortex155 on twitter

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Mon May 14, 2012 7:41 am

Vortex155 wrote:This are pix of that TSS I've got

And this is about as far i could manage to get it in...it ended up sitting struck and only could be released with a special tool i've made.

Must be something to do with the coating that rests inside the grooved axis hole,or just fabrication-tollerance fail?
:roll:

Why dont you just pack it up and send it back to the supplier, the problems you have are not going to be solved by talking about it on here :wink:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Mon May 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Supplier doesn't understand what the problem is :x
send him a line, a week ago, keeps asking more details.
had to be sure, those slipper clutches are as easy to mount as the original.
Vortex155 on twitter

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:37 am

Have to send it back to TSS in Tjech on my own cost, good service....NOT

Thx www.mojomoto.be for not helping me out on this one.
http://www.mojomoto.be/shop/

Lucky there's No I don't like on bleeding facebook

:x
Vortex155 on twitter

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Send it all back to Tjech republic, cost me 30€.
Great... :roll: :roll: hope I'll get a new one back and sure hope it fits this time.
Vortex155 on twitter

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Help
Fitting my Sgma slipper now for tomorrow and I've just noticed all the little notches on the fibre plates don't seem to have a pattern of alignment.
Don't know how to line em up.
Anyone on line now able to help :?:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:10 pm

I think from memory I placed them all in at a slightly different angle, first at 12 oclock next at 1 next at 2 and so on. I think its just the last plate that has to be in a certain way to lock it in.

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Superdan wrote:I think from memory I placed them all in at a slightly different angle, first at 12 oclock next at 1 next at 2 and so on. I think its just the last plate that has to be in a certain way to lock it in.

Last question. The big nut comes with a washer but the crap instructions don't state which way up it goes :!:
Does it make a difference :roll: :?:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:56 pm

CEREC1 wrote:
Superdan wrote:I think from memory I placed them all in at a slightly different angle, first at 12 oclock next at 1 next at 2 and so on. I think its just the last plate that has to be in a certain way to lock it in.

Last question. The big nut comes with a washer but the crap instructions don't state which way up it goes :!:

Yes as its slightly concave.

Im pretty sure it goes so it can be squished down if you know what I mean.

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:47 pm

Superdan wrote:
CEREC1 wrote:

Yes as its slightly concave.

Im pretty sure it goes so it can be squished down if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the input.
Cheers
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

smokedu
Minimoto racer

Postby smokedu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:09 am

Vortex155 wrote:Send it all back to Tjech republic, cost me 30€.
Great... :roll: :roll: hope I'll get a new one back and sure hope it fits this time.

I don't know if there was any resolution to this but for what it's worth. I had the same problem installing my yoyodyne on my RC8R this weekend. It was a PITA! I could only get it to slide on about an 1/8 to a 1/4 of an inch.(LOL that screams U.S. doesn't it). Any way I really wasn't interested in sending the whole unit back to the East Coast and waiting for god knows how long on a new one.
I ended up talking to my machinist friend who advised me to measure it first and see how far off it was. Of course it was a little tight Duh! Anyway he told me to get some jewelers files and take a little off. Some people won't want to do this and I understand why. You will be at a point of no return if you want to try and send it back. It really should just slide on. I spent the next 3 hours filing and trying it on, filing some more and trying it on ect. I found the most progress was filing the tops of the iner spline of the hub assembly. I basically removed all the anodizing. Once I was able to slide it about 3/4 the way on I hit both parts with anti seize and heated the piss out of the hub assembly with my heat gun. It slid on the rest of the way effortlessly and I was able to torque it down. Hope no one else has to go through this but it is a solution.

Derick

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 pm

Just stripped my Sigma 'cos it's started to drag when stopped and slip at high speed/hard acceleration - thought this might be due in part to flattened ball bearing in Oberon slave but replacing it has made no difference - clutch looks OK re tabs, plates, springs, 1.5mm centre/pressure plate clearance, etc but the basket can be rocked laterally slightly - checked nut and tight at 120Nm - also pressure plate holes for spring and bucket are oval, not circular, and pressure plate can be partially rotated as a result - suspect all this is wear and tear after race miles and 60k+ road miles and a call to Mr Spalding required - anyone have their Sigma visible/accessible at the moment and let me know if theirs is similar or not?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Bump..............

Superdan - do you have the Sigma fitting diagram and/or CD in .pdf format? I have a copy of the written instructions and the check procedure but no pictures or guide for the referenced parts.
'01 Ducati 996S

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Wed May 08, 2013 5:19 pm

Nope, had it on paper, I am fitting Tony The Tigers for him at the W/E, I may take some more pics as there is/was a little confusion as to the way its put back in from my post as its slightly different to stock, from memory the small plate goes in first than the two diagram type rings and then the stack.

The instructions were not that good was a bit of trial and error when I did it.

Tony the Tiger
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tony the Tiger » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm

No. 47 wrote:Bump..............

Superdan - do you have the Sigma fitting diagram and/or CD in .pdf format? I have a copy of the written instructions and the check procedure but no pictures or guide for the referenced parts.

I have just had my Sigma delivered today and have been looking through the installation CD. This has all the pictures on and if you send me your email address I will send them through to you.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:12 pm

Thank you - pm sent.

Clutch has finally given up on me riding up my nemesis, Wrotham Hill, and travelled the last ten miles or so home at just over walking pace.
'01 Ducati 996S

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am

Judging from the photos sent thru' by Tony - thanks again - the pressure plate holes are oval/oversized as new but would appreciate your confirmation.
'01 Ducati 996S

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:02 am

No. 47 wrote:Judging from the photos sent thru' by Tony - thanks again - the pressure plate holes are oval/oversized as new but would appreciate your confirmation.

Mine went straight in, just took Superdan to show me the order and importantly the alignment of the plates. :D
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 am

I'm trying to establish whether my pressure plate is knackered or not.
'01 Ducati 996S

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun May 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Just stripped out the clutch - 10 steel plates (no. 7 on the parts fiche), 11 friction plates but all the same id (no. 8 on the parts fiche?) but some with slightly different friction pad pattern, no Belleville spring (no. 11 on the parts fiche) and no thrust washer (no. 12 on the parts fiche)..........................no idea why it's not been fitted as per Sigma instructions.

Can see from the parts fiche that friction plate no. 10 is a larger id than the no.8's but what's different about no.9?
'01 Ducati 996S

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Sun May 12, 2013 1:56 pm

Parts 11 and 12 should obviously be included?! part 11 gets stuck on the OEM clutch hub and you have to pry it away and can be missed, but missing off part 12, weird.

As for part 9 being different, its the same thickness 2.8mm but different part number, not sure if it has a different pattern.

(Below is parts fiche for reference)

http://shop.jimaimracing.co.uk/acatalog ... 05-06.html

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 pm

It's a Sigma I've just stripped out so 11 and 12 should've been mounted after a 7 and 8.

Has worked fine for 60k+ miles though so will be interesting to see if I have to fit the new clutch pack as per the old removed pack or if the correct installation still gives the required clutch centre/pressure plate tolerance (can't see how though unless the old clutch pack was running out of tolerance).

Unless I have an early version of the SDR Sigma...........
'01 Ducati 996S

PreviousNext

Return to How to do it!