Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
User avatar
Stratkat
Trackday hero
 
Posts: 2266
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby Stratkat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm

yess, look at your manual to be sure. suspension oil takes a beating and it cant hurt to change it out. it really isnt that hard to do once you get going. just recheck that everything is back in place an tightened properly.

User avatar
ozarkhomie
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby ozarkhomie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 am

Had the complete Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 kit installed in my 07 Goldwing and they recommend changing front fork fluid every 20,000 miles...just something to add to the mix.

Will be using this procedure to upgrade springs in my "new to me" SD-R when I get it, as my fat old butt is way to heavy for the stock springs...had 1.2's in my Wing!! :lol:
Double Double please....no onions!

MotoHooligan 2008 SDR

User avatar
SDNerd
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Kalifornistan

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby SDNerd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 am

ozarkhomie wrote:Had the complete Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 kit installed in my 07 Goldwing and they recommend changing front fork fluid every 20,000 miles...just something to add to the mix.

Will be using this procedure to upgrade springs in my "new to me" SD-R when I get it, as my fat old butt is way to heavy for the stock springs...had 1.2's in my Wing!! :lol:


There is usually a service interval prescribed for fork oil change - I have no idea what it is for the SD - but I wouldn't wait until 20K to do it. And there are the usual caveats about how a bike is used, in what environments/climate, etc.

The AK-20s are not a basis to be used generally. As they are a fully enclosed cartridge, the fork oil service intervals is less than normal, in that the valving is less exposed to contaminated oil - and less affected by it.

On the subject of comparing your Wing's springs, and those in SD - there isn't much. The springs on any bike support a majority of the bike's weight - and in the case of the Wing, that's what, nearly 2X the sprung weight of an SD? Those 1.2s up front for a bike as heavy as a Wing are pretty soft - had little to do with your weight. A plush ride on an giant tourer is a desirable quality - and a detriment on anything remotely sporty. A wing is so heavy, that unless the rider weighs 400+Lbs, the spring rate is determined mostly by the bike's mass - not the rider's.

All this aside - give the SDR a go - if your teeth aren't rattled out of your skull - go see your favorite suspension guys. A note: the fine folks at Traxxion don't do WP. They will gladly stuff another pair of AKs in up front, and for no small fortune, might try to stuff a Penske in back - but they won't revalve/respring the WP bits.

User avatar
ozarkhomie
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 am
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby ozarkhomie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks SDnerd...was/am hoping that installing AK20's will not be necessary with the new to me bike. Don't want to go that route again. It made a silk purse out of the stock gold wings sows ear, but at a $$$$$. My last inverted forks were attached to a Big Dog Bulldog and performance was not there point, bright and shiny was. Will need to spend some time on the stock set up to determine what is needed for my weight and riding conditions/style...hoping fresh fluids and springs will be all that is needed to make it work well enough. No track days for this old man, just some spirited riding through the Ozark twisties. Appreciate telling me that Traxxion doesn't work on WP, so no need to bother them with questions. Maybe I should just get a Tuono R Factory with Ohlins...NOT!!

Was born/raised in SoCal, but left in 1984...used to use Z Racing for mods to my KTM 495 for my D-37 desert bikes, but have read some negative things about them lately...any recommendations would be appreciated.
Double Double please....no onions!

MotoHooligan 2008 SDR

User avatar
Lowrance
Trackday hero
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:37 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby Lowrance » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:46 am

Race-Tech can hook you up with springs (and valving if so desired) for the SD.

User avatar
boney95
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:30 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby boney95 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:53 am

Here's a manual that I came across today.

http://ktm950.info/library/assets/pdfs/ ... 2005-E.pdf
That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age.

User avatar
Jupey
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 5:14 am
Location: Gold Coast Australia

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby Jupey » Fri May 08, 2015 5:17 am

I'm in the middle of a front and rear spring change at the moment this is very helpful!

coyo
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby coyo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Thread revive!

I got to work to change out my oil (and maybe seals... I know that I questioned that earlier in the thread!) today and noticed that both here and in the WP manual it speaks of a 5" spacer on top of the spring. There isn't one in my fork. The WP manual says that the 950 SuperMoto doesn't have a spacer.

That and I'm gonna need another set of hands and a thinner wrench... a lot more tension than on the WR450 I last did!

Mine is an 08 SD that I bought used in 2011.

Any thoughts?

User avatar
Edorta
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:43 am
Location: Donostia / San Sebastian (EU)

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby Edorta » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:59 am

coyo wrote:Thread revive!

I got to work to change out my oil (and maybe seals... I know that I questioned that earlier in the thread!) today and noticed that both here and in the WP manual it speaks of a 5" spacer on top of the spring. There isn't one in my fork. The WP manual says that the 950 SuperMoto doesn't have a spacer.

That and I'm gonna need another set of hands and a thinner wrench... a lot more tension than on the WR450 I last did!

Mine is an 08 SD that I bought used in 2011.

Any thoughts?


Sometimes the spacer is at the top of the spring and sometimes below, don't worry.

There are diferent manuals and sometimes you see it in diferent positions so I'm not sure which is the correct.

When I open the fork the first time mine are below too and I put em back at the same position, for me is better to pull down the springs because you have more space.

Image
Ride it like you stole it!!!

coyo
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:41 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby coyo » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 pm

You sir, deserve a beer. Great idea to more easily compress the springs than what I was trying!

Edorta wrote:Sometimes the spacer is at the top of the spring and sometimes below, don't worry.

There are diferent manuals and sometimes you see it in diferent positions so I'm not sure which is the correct.

When I open the fork the first time mine are below too and I put em back at the same position, for me is better to pull down the springs because you have more space.

Image

Previous

Return to How to do it!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests