Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby Superdan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:53 pm

Would this be of use to anyone if I did a how to?

Just changing my front springs and fluid and also changing my rear shock spring.

The process is in the downloadable PDF but the SD shocks are not quite the same.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:24 pm

yes it would dude 8)
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:31 am

Just for you then Klink:

1.) lift the front off the ground with a headstock stand or from roof rafters.
2.) remove front wheel, take of brake calipers and speedo sensor.

3.) remove handlebars and make sure they are vertical (don’t want your brake juice going everywhere).
4.)Undo the pinch bolts on the top yoke (or it wont work), then using the fork tool undo the top part of the suspension JUST SO ITS LOOSE, the bottom clamp holds it in place this saves you having to put it in a vice once removed.

5.)Undo bottom yoke pinch bolts and remove fork legs.
6.)Unscrew the top part of the fork until the outer black fork stanction falls down.

7.) you now should see a long 5” spacer this needs to be pulled down to reveal the 22mm nut helps if you have two people, you need a THIN spanner an adjustable one probably wont work.

8.) with the 22mm spanner on you can now use your tool in the tool kit to unscrew the top preload which lets the top cap fall off.

9.) as you remove the 22mm spanner the 5” spacer, and spring just slide out, put all the parts to one side.

10.) the oil can then be poured into a container make sure you pump the inner part as shown or you wont get all the fluid out.

11.) once your happy you have all the fluid is out replace with 5w fork oil 1 litre is enough to do both forks and some left over.
12.) fill up with new oil it does not matter if you put too much in but hopefully you noted the oil level prior to removing, Make sure you pump the inner workings to get the oil in the chambers as you did when you removed the old oil, we use a device to get the correct air gap, here is one I made, you can buy the device but this works the same.

Then place inside the fork tube and it sucks the excess oil out to the desired 11cm gap.

The air gap is meant to be 11cm, the air gap is from the oil level to the top of the outer suspension sleeve when at the bottom of the fork stanction the fork should look like this when measuring:

Make sure you pump the inner workings to get the oil in the chambers as you did when you removed the old oil..
13.) Ok you now have fresh oil, I have an 06 bike so changed my front 9nm springs for 9.5nm which the 07 on and SDR has. You now just need to reverse all the steps to put it back together. I got sent the wrong springs by FTR they were for an RC8 so not actually put back together yet!

Will be changing my rear spring too some time this week from a 160 to a 170.

Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera is gash and hard taking pics of yourself when you need both your hands! I also apologise I never know the correct word for anything but hopefully you get the jist, not a difficult job IMO.

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

Postby Twisted Jester » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:35 am

Superdan wrote:Would this be of use to anyone if I did a how to?

Just changing my front springs and fluid and also changing my rear shock spring.

The process is in the downloadable PDF but the SD shocks are not quite the same.

Depends if it turns out like your Brake fluid how to :lol:

I don't want to go down the road rodeo style :D
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:37 am

Yeah, personally I would not follow owt I say :shock: the theory was sound though! :D just the products used.......

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:40 am

Good work though, nice to see what it looks like should I need to do it/can't stop eating the pies.
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

loony888
Stunt rider

Postby loony888 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:51 am

just serviced my forks using the how to, very helpful.
thanks

paul.
I was going how fast officer?

harvester
Two wheeled terror

Postby harvester » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:53 am

Me too last weekend, it was a great help :D

I didn't checked the air gap, flushed 4,5dl - 4,5dl 5W fork oil into the forks :roll:
06 SD with 07 headlight mask, HID, Akras, MH Motobox, MH SAS blockoffs, MH's reshaped flyz, O2 eliminators, KTM alarm
http://bikepics.com/members/harvester/

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 am

I might do mine on sat morn. Where did you get the tool for removing the top of the fork m8?

Oh and you didn't have any probs with leaking seals after putting it all back together?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

loony888
Stunt rider

Postby loony888 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:11 am

i managed to borrow one from a mate.

paul
I was going how fast officer?

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:I might do mine on sat morn. Where did you get the tool for removing the top of the fork m8?

Oh and you didn't have any probs with leaking seals after putting it all back together?

Pm us your address and will send you mine just bring it to Cadders when your done. :wink:

If your seals are fine before dont think this will really effect them, they will be fine.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:56 am

Superdan wrote:
Colonel_Klinck wrote:I might do mine on sat morn. Where did you get the tool for removing the top of the fork m8?

Pm us your address and will send you mine just bring it to Cadders when your done. :wink:

If your seals are fine before dont think this will really effect them, they will be fine.

Of course looking at it you aren't touching the seals end of the forks are you. Going to crack on with this today. After 31000 miles my poor fork oil is def due a change. Cheers for the tool Dan :)
The late Bill Hicks

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:57 pm

All done :D Perfect instructions Dan. The only thing I would add is remember to clean the bottom of the fork leg before you start. I did the first leg but got all carried away with the second and forgot. All that shit got under the seals when you take the spring out and its able to slide all the way to the bottom :roll: think I've got it all out using a very thin feeler gauge. Fingers crossed.

Oil was minging!! Couldn't believe how dirty it was. I ended up emptying oil and pumping out. Then pouring a bit in and pumping it through, then pouring and pumping that out again before refilling. Even that came out shitty. Def needed doing and feels like a new front end now 8) Happy camper.
The late Bill Hicks

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Sweet, might have had some better pics if I had a helper :lol:

Razy
Stunt rider

Postby Razy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:15 pm

i'll be changing mine to that same setup, i'm too fat for my bike :lol:

Jermo
Stunt rider

Postby Jermo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Whiping the dust off this old thread, do the springs need to be out of the forks to measure the air gap and is the air gap and thickness of the oil the same on the 07 and newer bikes?
||====
||====
||
||

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:22 pm

With springs out, not sure if 07 air gap is the same mind, when I did this I changed to the 07 springs and kept air gap the same. Just went with the service manual.

Edited to say springs out (been a while) :wink:
Last edited by Superdan on Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 pm

Jermo wrote:Whiping the dust off this old thread, do the springs need to be out of the forks to measure the air gap and is the air gap and thickness of the oil the same on the 07 and newer bikes?

Fork oil: 5W; Air gap is 110mm (springs out) for 07 and up SD and SDR.

If you have a factory service manual, the how-to is on there; RA WP Fork LC8-SD,SM 2005-E.pdf. You may be able to find this document online.

Jermo
Stunt rider

Postby Jermo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks guys, will try to find some time somewhere this fall or winter (unless I'll go all-out with SDR shock and triples... :oops: )
||====
||====
||
||

Japanviking
Two wheeled terror

Postby Japanviking » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:12 am

Remember to move the fork thru it's full stroke before checking the oil level. There are some good videos on youtube for this:

KTM SDR 09 (Tokyo)
BMW R1200GS 06 (Tokyo)
Aprilia RSV Factory 05 (Sweden)

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Postby coyo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Maybe it's just me but why would you do all this and not put fresh seals in while you're at it?

And the above video for getting the air out when re-filling is what I used when doing my seals / oil on my WR along with these for dis-assembly / re-assembly;

migs16
Minimoto racer

Postby migs16 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:49 pm

cant wait for rear spring because im about to take mine off and put the stock back on.

Axman
Minimoto racer

Postby Axman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:53 pm

How often do you guys do this?
Is it necessary if you're not doing track riding?

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Axman wrote:How often do you guys do this?

i would think at the least everyother year depending on your mileage. suspension takes a beating.
that said mine is waaaayyy over due. i have so many other things that go wrong with my bike that just keeping up with thats stuff, routine mantainece like this gets overlooked. next spring i want to do the front fluid, clutch, clutch slave (preemptive!), and the brake fluid, all over due. at least i finally own my SD free and clear!

Axman
Minimoto racer

Postby Axman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Stratkat wrote:
Axman wrote:How often do you guys do this?

i would think at the least everyother year depending on your mileage. suspension takes a beating.
that said mine is waaaayyy over due. i have so many other things that go wrong with my bike that just keeping up with thats stuff, routine mantainece like this gets overlooked. next spring i want to do the front fluid, clutch, clutch slave (preemptive!), and the brake fluid, all over due. at least i finally own my SD free and clear!

Thanks for the answer. My bike is an 08, but only has around 8k km (5k miles) on it. I should still do this every other year?

Next

Return to How to do it!