Page 2 of 2

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 pm
by Stratkat
yess, look at your manual to be sure. suspension oil takes a beating and it cant hurt to change it out. it really isnt that hard to do once you get going. just recheck that everything is back in place an tightened properly.

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 am
by ozarkhomie
Had the complete Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 kit installed in my 07 Goldwing and they recommend changing front fork fluid every 20,000 miles...just something to add to the mix.

Will be using this procedure to upgrade springs in my "new to me" SD-R when I get it, as my fat old butt is way to heavy for the stock springs...had 1.2's in my Wing!! :lol:

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:43 am
by SDNerd
ozarkhomie wrote:Had the complete Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 kit installed in my 07 Goldwing and they recommend changing front fork fluid every 20,000 miles...just something to add to the mix.

Will be using this procedure to upgrade springs in my "new to me" SD-R when I get it, as my fat old butt is way to heavy for the stock springs...had 1.2's in my Wing!! :lol:


There is usually a service interval prescribed for fork oil change - I have no idea what it is for the SD - but I wouldn't wait until 20K to do it. And there are the usual caveats about how a bike is used, in what environments/climate, etc.

The AK-20s are not a basis to be used generally. As they are a fully enclosed cartridge, the fork oil service intervals is less than normal, in that the valving is less exposed to contaminated oil - and less affected by it.

On the subject of comparing your Wing's springs, and those in SD - there isn't much. The springs on any bike support a majority of the bike's weight - and in the case of the Wing, that's what, nearly 2X the sprung weight of an SD? Those 1.2s up front for a bike as heavy as a Wing are pretty soft - had little to do with your weight. A plush ride on an giant tourer is a desirable quality - and a detriment on anything remotely sporty. A wing is so heavy, that unless the rider weighs 400+Lbs, the spring rate is determined mostly by the bike's mass - not the rider's.

All this aside - give the SDR a go - if your teeth aren't rattled out of your skull - go see your favorite suspension guys. A note: the fine folks at Traxxion don't do WP. They will gladly stuff another pair of AKs in up front, and for no small fortune, might try to stuff a Penske in back - but they won't revalve/respring the WP bits.

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:03 pm
by ozarkhomie
Thanks SDnerd...was/am hoping that installing AK20's will not be necessary with the new to me bike. Don't want to go that route again. It made a silk purse out of the stock gold wings sows ear, but at a $$$$$. My last inverted forks were attached to a Big Dog Bulldog and performance was not there point, bright and shiny was. Will need to spend some time on the stock set up to determine what is needed for my weight and riding conditions/style...hoping fresh fluids and springs will be all that is needed to make it work well enough. No track days for this old man, just some spirited riding through the Ozark twisties. Appreciate telling me that Traxxion doesn't work on WP, so no need to bother them with questions. Maybe I should just get a Tuono R Factory with Ohlins...NOT!!

Was born/raised in SoCal, but left in 1984...used to use Z Racing for mods to my KTM 495 for my D-37 desert bikes, but have read some negative things about them lately...any recommendations would be appreciated.

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:46 am
by Lowrance
Race-Tech can hook you up with springs (and valving if so desired) for the SD.

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:53 am
by boney95
Here's a manual that I came across today.

http://ktm950.info/library/assets/pdfs/ ... 2005-E.pdf

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:17 am
by Jupey
I'm in the middle of a front and rear spring change at the moment this is very helpful!

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 pm
by coyo
Thread revive!

I got to work to change out my oil (and maybe seals... I know that I questioned that earlier in the thread!) today and noticed that both here and in the WP manual it speaks of a 5" spacer on top of the spring. There isn't one in my fork. The WP manual says that the 950 SuperMoto doesn't have a spacer.

That and I'm gonna need another set of hands and a thinner wrench... a lot more tension than on the WR450 I last did!

Mine is an 08 SD that I bought used in 2011.

Any thoughts?

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:59 am
by Edorta
coyo wrote:Thread revive!

I got to work to change out my oil (and maybe seals... I know that I questioned that earlier in the thread!) today and noticed that both here and in the WP manual it speaks of a 5" spacer on top of the spring. There isn't one in my fork. The WP manual says that the 950 SuperMoto doesn't have a spacer.

That and I'm gonna need another set of hands and a thinner wrench... a lot more tension than on the WR450 I last did!

Mine is an 08 SD that I bought used in 2011.

Any thoughts?


Sometimes the spacer is at the top of the spring and sometimes below, don't worry.

There are diferent manuals and sometimes you see it in diferent positions so I'm not sure which is the correct.

When I open the fork the first time mine are below too and I put em back at the same position, for me is better to pull down the springs because you have more space.

Image

Re: Fork oil service/change of front and rear spring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:38 pm
by coyo
You sir, deserve a beer. Great idea to more easily compress the springs than what I was trying!

Edorta wrote:Sometimes the spacer is at the top of the spring and sometimes below, don't worry.

There are diferent manuals and sometimes you see it in diferent positions so I'm not sure which is the correct.

When I open the fork the first time mine are below too and I put em back at the same position, for me is better to pull down the springs because you have more space.

Image